Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 1:12:11 PM EDT
[#1]
No matter how good you are there is always that clumsy klutz that gets lucky. Even John Wayne had to die is a couple of movies, it's just the law of averages catching up.
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 1:12:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Beyond 25 yards, even Chuck Norris would not have much of a chance.

Inside 21 feet, Chuck might get wounded, but my ass would be pounded into the ground about 87 feet deep.  Likewise, anyone with determination, and hand fighting skills could likely kick my ass.
(61 y.o. and only 147 lbs.)
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 1:12:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Where's "decent nerves, not as happy with skills as I want despite shooting 3-5k rounds a year"
View Quote

Seek out force in force training with simunitions. It’s the closest thing you can get to actual gun fighting
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 1:14:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Seek out force in force training with simunitions. It’s the closest thing you can get to actual gun fighting
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Where's "decent nerves, not as happy with skills as I want despite shooting 3-5k rounds a year"

Bingo, I’m proud to say I’ve done 3 force on force classes with simunitions.
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 1:15:20 PM EDT
[#5]
I said solid. I'm never last in local shoots, usually above the middle, got 3rd at a PCC shoot. When I do poorly it's malfs. Actual unarmed fighting, no idea but no training. Big brother used to kick my ass and called me Weeble Wobble.
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 1:15:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Decent but not as good as my nunchuck skills, bow hunting skills, and computer hacking skills.
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 1:15:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Gun handling...fine
Shooting...fine
Fighting...haven't been in a fight since middle school so probably not great

What I worry about the most is what my mind is going to do if I ever *really* have to use a gun.  Most of us have watched and overanalyzed good shoot/bad shoot videos and I'm afraid I'm going to get killed waiting too long for it to be a good shoot.
View Quote

Well said. The mental aspect of violence and killing. IMO the first and most important.
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 1:16:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Above average physical condition.  Above average experience including combat deployments.  Average situational awareness.  Average intelligence.  Fired over 100k rounds from firearms

I guess it depends on all the other factors I cannot control.  

Imma guess 60/40 leaning towards 70/30 but nowhere near some of the young buck tier 1 operators around here.
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 1:17:53 PM EDT
[#9]
I do a few competitions here and there, both dynamic run ann gun type stuff as well as sit down and make tiny holes stuff. I'm very comfortable with my weapons, and I'd say above average on handling and getting rounds on target. Does it mean I win? Not necessarily. Thats how gun fights work, and thats why I intend to never get into one.
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 1:18:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Based on the ratio of people I see at the range clustered at the 50' berm shooting into the dirt vs the ratio of people shooting on the right up the hill 300 yards, I must be in that top 20% when it comes to gun owners overall. BUT that top 10%.. those guys can place rounds very accurately, far away. Then you have your top 1%.. the people who shoot thousands of rounds per month, and those guys hitting targets at 3,000 yards with .338 Lapua.......
View Quote

How much real world violence occurs at 3000 yards? How does that guy do when he gets jacked in a parking lot by a couple of disadvantaged youths?
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 1:20:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Better than most, not as good as many.
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 1:22:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 1:35:13 PM EDT
[#13]
I like to think I’m pretty high up there. I put in physical work and drill a lot. As a civie, I’ve impressed certified badasses in drills and force-on-force training solo and with a team. The few times I’ve been in high stress situations I made all the right choices with regards for myself and those I was with. I truly have no idea why I’m good at these things. Despite that, I know it only takes one lucky shot or one lucky punch, and I’ll eat dirt just the same as pissypants.
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 1:37:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
No matter how good you are there is always that clumsy klutz that gets lucky. Even John Wayne had to die is a couple of movies, it's just the law of averages catching up.
View Quote

Very true.  And even the best gunfighter can be shot in the back and/or or shot from a long distance by an unseen assailant.  

That said, my scores (from various forms of competition) would objectively indicate that my skill levels are well above average.
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 1:40:23 PM EDT
[#15]
IDK.

I was never in a gun fight
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 1:44:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 1:46:18 PM EDT
[#17]
I can shoot, very confident with handgun or rifle.

I had a 27 year career at the FD following 6 years as an 11b, I rarely get a decent gut clench in situations other people find “exciting “.

But I have no combat experience, and am acutely aware that even skilled operators get killed by random lucky shots, So I have no idea what my chances would be.

I’d like to think better than average, but who knows…
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 3:33:42 PM EDT
[#18]
So badass I’ll shit in the badguys pants.
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 3:40:56 PM EDT
[#19]
I have a particular set of skills.
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 3:45:40 PM EDT
[#20]
I have many leather bound books and my apartment smells of rich cosmoline
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 4:02:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

I did a ton of paintball as a teen.  How's that compare?

I've also done 3 or 4 run n gun events.  Top 50%, but that was ranked on time and shooting score, and many were walking- so I doubt I'm that decent.
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 4:28:11 PM EDT
[#22]
I'd do well, as long as long as there isn't a ton of distance movement.  (olde/broken)
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 4:52:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 4:55:39 PM EDT
[#24]
Competent.
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 5:18:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I’m usually too busy telling people they’re shooting too fast.
View Quote

This guy fornicates.
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 5:20:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Very true.  And even the best gunfighter can be shot in the back and/or or shot from a long distance by an unseen assailant.  

That said, my scores (from various forms of competition) would objectively indicate that my skill levels are well above average.
View Quote

Sure, lady luck gets a vote. But we shouldn't rely on her.
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 6:59:06 PM EDT
[#27]
I carry daily,

On a regular basis multiple times a week I also unload my firearm when at my house so I can practice draw, aim, fire, rack slide and re-holster while im watching tv,

When I'm done I re-chamber a round and replace mag into pistol.

Every chance I get I step out on my range and fire live rounds, draw, aim, fire etc, i load all mags different amounts of ammo so I never quite know when I'll be empty so I can practice when slide locks back drop mag, replace with loaded mag from mag carrier on belt, slingshot slide and keep going.

Edit to add:
Of course it don't matter how good you are and how much you practice, a situation occurs and that somebody may be having a better day than you.
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 7:13:03 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I've also done 3 or 4 run n gun events.  Top 50%, but that was ranked on time and shooting score, and many were walking- so I doubt I'm that decent.
View Quote

I’ve taken 2 FoF classes, ITTS and TR, and they both ended up like paintball wars.  Tons of unsighted fire. Matt Pranka said that if you want FoF to be realistic, everyone needs to strip down to their underwear so getting shot actually hurts. Lol
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 7:14:26 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 7:15:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I’ve taken 2 FoF classes, ITTS and TR, and they both ended up like paintball wars.  Tons of unsighted fire. Matt Pranka said that if you want FoF to be realistic, everyone needs to strip down to their underwear so getting shot actually hurts. Lol
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Eyepro, neck guard and some padding over your junk should be mandatory. Otherwise I agree.
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 7:16:04 PM EDT
[#31]
between my punisher logo shirt, 511 shorts, uncle mikes open carry holster and the pearl handled Lorcin, people know I'm the real deal and leave me alone.
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 7:16:34 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Jerry Miculek takes lessons from me
View Quote

And me, too.

I also taught Taran the tactical guy for John Wick.

And John Travolta—I taught him to dance—and comb his hair.

And i taught Gordon Ramsey to cook & yell….

What else?
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 7:16:52 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 7:18:30 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Remember that movie about the “Cook” on that Navy Destroyer?  Where that chick popped out of the birthday cake?  That was me (the cook-not the chick)
View Quote

Oh him.
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 7:18:42 PM EDT
[#35]
I’ve watched Magpul’s The Art of the Tactical Carbine dozens of times.

I think that speaks for itself.
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 7:19:59 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

And me, too.

What else?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Jerry Miculek takes lessons from me

And me, too.

What else?

I only taught him how to be creepy and cringey.
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 7:21:10 PM EDT
[#37]
I can copy most drills that Navy SEALs post on youtube.
NAVY SEAL Top 3 Shooting Drills | Tactical Rifleman
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 7:21:33 PM EDT
[#38]
Somewhere between a few skills and solid grasp, probably. This is on the scale of Gun Shop SEAL to actual SEAL.

The general public isn't a good bar to measure myself by, so I honestly have no clue.

Pretty consistent draw, usually around 1.5 on a timer if I've been keeping up on dry fire (which I sometimes find myself slacking on), generally hit what I intend to within 15y, but I always need more work.

Seems like working on it is the hard part. It's been a long time since I've been on a range with an instructor, which I really need to remedy.
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 7:24:24 PM EDT
[#39]
How can you know if the moment of crisis hasn't come? At the edge of the knife, I can only hope to remember the value of training and order.
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 7:24:42 PM EDT
[#40]
I'm way worse than I was 10 years ago.
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 7:28:20 PM EDT
[#41]
Army spent a lot of money on me to make sure I was good at it. Fought in two wars so have real experience. Then I worked for .gov for several years and trained military personnel to do what I was trained to do.  So yeah I’m pretty good. I’d say in the top few % but definitely not the best.
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 7:32:17 PM EDT
[#42]
I’d say above average. Without training regularly I can usually walk in to a 25-30 man match and take 3rd or 4th place.

I also do enough long range shooting that I can make MOA hits out to about a mile.

Took first place in our trap league a couple years in a row way back in high school and I believe my best year averaged 23.7 for the season.
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 7:34:22 PM EDT
[#43]
Being honest with myself; I am a safe and competent shooter but a mediocre shot. My primary personal defense is situational awareness, deterrence and avoiding encounters or activities (like buying illegal drugs or drinking with strangers) that invite violent encounters. I haven’t had to defend myself since high school and I am now too old to take a beating so if I am physically attacked, I am drawing and shooting. I train and practice drawing from my preferred method of concealment. I hope I never have to. I don’t know how it will turn out for me but even if you are skilled or lucky enough to “win” a gunfight, you will still likely lose a lot of time, money and grief in the aftermath. I would be perfectly happy to never find out.
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 7:41:56 PM EDT
[#44]
Okay everyone- prove it
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 7:47:15 PM EDT
[#45]

Link Posted: 4/30/2023 7:53:43 PM EDT
[#46]
Y'all know the one about "If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail"?
Things start popping off around me, the only way I'll live through it is seeing the enemy as a rabbit....
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 8:02:05 PM EDT
[#47]
Better than the cops who work next door.

(NYPD)
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 9:19:22 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

No matter how good you are, 99.9% of the time someone can wipe the floor with you.
View Quote
Respectfully
If you feel you will get your shit pushed in that often, you should really re-evaluate a lot of things.

Me?
Everybody in here seems to be relying on square range doctrine as a metric. All that shit goes out the window the first time you realize you are behind the time and power curve in a potentially lethal outcome event. I can't tell you the number of times on a vanilla 15 yard square range all you have to do is inject the tiniest amount of stress and most people go to shit immediately, fumbling, out of order, minute of barn.

I can't say what will happen the next one I am in. I'd be lying.

All I know is that a) I usually show up; b) I'm usually armed; c) I usually pay attention and d) I generally believe most people are up to something that doesn't benefit me; but e) when adequately motivated I don't have that breaker or 'off' switch normal people have in high-risk situations.

Far as martial skills, I dusted off an airsoft sim pistol the other day to encourage a yard creature to move along. I was making hits on the narrow side of a concrete block at 15 yards offhand, considering the current status of my vision and tremors, I was pleasantly surprised! (I did catch myself following the rounds instead of using my sights, so... I can always do better)

Link Posted: 4/30/2023 9:31:38 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Respectfully
If you feel you will get your shit pushed in that often, you should really re-evaluate a lot of things.

Me?
Everybody in here seems to be relying on square range doctrine as a metric. All that shit goes out the window the first time you realize you are behind the time and power curve in a potentially lethal outcome event. I can't tell you the number of times on a vanilla 15 yard square range all you have to do is inject the tiniest amount of stress and most people go to shit immediately, fumbling, out of order, minute of barn.

I can't say what will happen the next one I am in. I'd be lying.

All I know is that a) I usually show up; b) I'm usually armed; c) I usually pay attention and d) I generally believe most people are up to something that doesn't benefit me; but e) when adequately motivated I don't have that breaker or 'off' switch normal people have in high-risk situations.

Far as martial skills, I dusted off an airsoft sim pistol the other day to encourage a yard creature to move along. I was making hits on the narrow side of a concrete block at 15 yards offhand, considering the current status of my vision and tremors, I was pleasantly surprised! (I did catch myself following the rounds instead of using my sights, so... I can always do better)

View Quote

For clarity's sake I should add that there is SOMEONE who can wipe the floor with you.
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 9:36:15 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Okay everyone- prove it
View Quote

I could screen shot my practiscore page but a couple dozen people would be really pissed.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top