Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Interesting Ruski stuff (Page 10 of 78)
Page / 78
Link Posted: 9/20/2020 12:13:11 PM EDT
[#1]

FSB Alfa officer with an H&K MR308, likely a Schmidt & Bender 5-25x56 PM II/LP scope with an Infratech IT-315 TN thermal clip on sight, offset Aimpoint micro sight, and an Armasight Drakos laser aiming device
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/20/2020 12:18:53 PM EDT
[#2]
The V-2 in the USSR after WWII

The USSR’s first ballistic missile, the R-1 was a direct copy of the V-2.
Link Posted: 9/20/2020 12:24:11 PM EDT
[#3]
allworldwars.com

Warning! Rabbit hole ahead!

Illustrated Guide to Moscow Anti Aircraft Defense System 1955

B-200 radar

Many interesting pictures of the equipment they used.
Link Posted: 9/20/2020 12:25:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Noob_Thoughts:

So true - currently my favorite thread - pls send more crazy vodka induced engineering
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/20/2020 12:28:10 PM EDT
[#5]
MUTINY ON STOROZHEVOY    A Case Study of Dissent in the Soviet Navy by Gregory D. Young

In November 1975, a group of sailors led by the ship's political officer took over the Soviet "Krivak" class destroyer "Storozhevoy" and attempted to sail to Sweden to seek asylum. They were attacked and turned back by Soviet naval and air units. Information of this dramatic event which has never been acknowledged by the Soviets, made it to the West only piece by piece. It was the intent of this study to assemble all available data for critical analysis to determine potential causes and implications.

View Quote

Link Posted: 9/20/2020 3:41:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By PhatForrest:

Be interesting to see how it would work on vehicles here in the US that have beefed up pillars and other safety features.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By PhatForrest:
Originally Posted By Raider14:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njrEPsyPqYE

That looks like it is a far better tool than the Hurst Jaws of Life as far was cutting goes. Faster, no hydraulic cable, etc. Definitely not as powerful but for sheet metal and such it definitely seems impressive.

Be interesting to see how it would work on vehicles here in the US that have beefed up pillars and other safety features.

No go due to fire from powder charge. Not safe around gas leaks.
Link Posted: 9/20/2020 6:27:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Merlin:

"SSV-33 was assigned to the Pacific Fleet, but there was no pier large enough for the ship. She was forced to anchor out. Machinery had to remain running while at anchor to support other systems and its crew; the ship became a floating barracks. She never went to sea, while her powerful radioelectronic equipment gradually began to decay.[3] "

Great Soviet planning right there!  
View All Quotes

"SSV-33 was assigned to the Pacific Fleet, but there was no pier large enough for the ship. She was forced to anchor out. Machinery had to remain running while at anchor to support other systems and its crew; the ship became a floating barracks. She never went to sea, while her powerful radioelectronic equipment gradually began to decay.[3] "

The Russians have always sucked massive dick at being a naval power. Read up on their pacific fleet and then the reinforcements they sent after it was neutralized in the Russo Japanese war sometime. Total fucking shit show.
Link Posted: 9/20/2020 6:36:09 PM EDT
[#8]

Is that just wax and strings tied to the switch covers to make it tamper evident if they are opened?
Link Posted: 9/20/2020 7:23:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By 4xGM300m:
UVB-76

The Pip

The Squeaky Wheel
View Quote

I wonder if anyone has ever started a Numbers station just to screw with the Secret Squirrel types.
Link Posted: 9/20/2020 11:06:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Crazy rates of fire on some of their cannons.
Link Posted: 9/21/2020 2:10:45 AM EDT
[#11]
This is becoming my favorite thread.
Link Posted: 9/21/2020 5:24:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4xGM300m] [#12]
Originally Posted By Kali_Refugee:

Is that just wax and strings tied to the switch covers to make it tamper evident if they are opened?
View All Quotes

Yeah, just a wax seal.

Originally Posted By kugelblitz:

I wonder if anyone has ever started a Numbers station just to screw with the Secret Squirrel types.

Trolling is a part of their job. The east German number stations mostly sent bullshit between the real messages just to fuck with the BND and CIA.
Link Posted: 9/21/2020 5:42:01 AM EDT
[#13]

Just read this whole article. Long, but amazing.

Did anyone else read "The Threat", which talked about the same things (air base ground crews diverting grain alcohol for de-icing and hydraulic systems for black market hooch)?

I don't think it is in print anymore, and I couldn't find it online.
Link Posted: 9/21/2020 6:00:08 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/21/2020 7:58:51 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Brohawk:

IIRC, Belenko wrote about that. A pilot would radio that he's experiencing icing when he wasn't. After he got on the ground the crew chief would drain the deicing system and they'd split the fluid.
View Quote

I mean yeah, that's a Belenko anecdote also mentioned by Young in his article "MUTINY ON STOROZHEVOY".

But can anyone remember the author of "The Threat"?

It was fully of anecdotes like that (including the joke that sopranos in the Red Army Choir came from the tank corps...because of the auto-loaders!)

Link Posted: 9/21/2020 9:24:37 AM EDT
[#16]
allworldwars.com

Warning! Rabbit hole ahead!

https://i.imgur.com/ljKu3oU.jpg

Illustrated Guide to Moscow Anti Aircraft Defense System 1955

https://i.imgur.com/Wvpk2bd.jpg

B-200 radar

Many interesting pictures of the equipment they used.
View Quote

I went to the AllWorldWars link and couldn't find the first pic.  Where did it come from and what does it mean? Thanks,

Link Posted: 9/21/2020 9:53:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: GTLandser] [#17]

I went to the AllWorldWars link and couldn't find the first pic.  Where did it come from and what does it mean? Thanks,

View Quote

It's the engagement circles of Soviet air defenses around Moscow, and the principle cities where the launch sites were located, apparently for the S-25 Berkut (NATO SA-1 Guild) missile system

So really quite old now, but fascinating to see. The OP's link has that photo waaaayyyy down toward the bottom somewhere--it's more of a photo essay without much context.

ETA: My guess based on the ranges shown is that the green circles are EW radars, and the SAMs themselves are the yellow and red wedges around Moscow. The blue might be some intermediate radar, but I think each site (all of those wedges) had their own radars to guide their missiles.

In true Soviet fashion, they poured a LOT of resources in a short period of time to solve that problem.
Link Posted: 9/21/2020 9:54:00 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By MshakeMO:
The R-23M Kartech cannon.  Installed on the Almaz space station in the 70's.

https://cdn.arstechnica.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/spacecannon-screen-shot-2015-11-10-at-32900-pm-640x506.jpg
View Quote

I wish I had a space cannon.
Link Posted: 9/21/2020 9:58:47 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Aimless:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KS-23

KS-23 shotgun (well it's rifled but still). The russians had some 23mm anti aircraft barrels that were rejected so they figured "Well they'll work as shotgun barrels" so they made 6 gauge riot guns
View Quote

there would be a market for those over here.
Link Posted: 9/21/2020 10:03:42 AM EDT
[#20]

IIRC, Belenko wrote about that. A pilot would radio that he's experiencing icing when he wasn't. After he got on the ground the crew chief would drain the deicing system and they'd split the fluid.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By GTLandser:

Just read this whole article. Long, but amazing.

Did anyone else read "The Threat", which talked about the same things (air base ground crews diverting grain alcohol for de-icing and hydraulic systems for black market hooch)?

I don't think it is in print anymore, and I couldn't find it online.

The MiG-25 was called ‘the booze truck’ or the Russian equivalent because of the alcohol used to cool the radars.
Link Posted: 9/21/2020 10:30:21 AM EDT
[#21]

S-25 Berkut (NATO SA-1 Guild) missile system

View All Quotes

Russia - Now, these missiles used as targets for training SAM systems.[4][5] Strizh target-missile (system S-25M) in service as of 2011. Firing more than 11 000 missiles.[6]

Link Posted: 9/21/2020 10:44:37 AM EDT
[#22]
S-25 sites

Tons more stuff
Link Posted: 9/21/2020 11:08:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Maccrage] [#23]

View All Quotes

Russia - Now, these missiles used as targets for training SAM systems.[4][5] Strizh target-missile (system S-25M) in service as of 2011. Firing more than 11 000 missiles.[6]

Huh. Big missile needs big plane. Another part of the system. Don't know if we thought about putting air-launched versions of SAMs on a B-29 to use it as an interceptor.
G-400 Interceptor aircraft. These were Tu-4 with G-300 (izdelie 210, downsized version of V-300 with aerial launch) missiles.
Link Posted: 9/21/2020 11:18:21 AM EDT
[#24]

It's the engagement circles of Soviet air defenses around Moscow, and the principle cities where the launch sites were located, apparently for the S-25 Berkut (NATO SA-1 Guild) missile system

So really quite old now, but fascinating to see. The OP's link has that photo waaaayyyy down toward the bottom somewhere--it's more of a photo essay without much context.

ETA: My guess based on the ranges shown is that the green circles are EW radars, and the SAMs themselves are the yellow and red wedges around Moscow. The blue might be some intermediate radar, but I think each site (all of those wedges) had their own radars to guide their missiles.

In true Soviet fashion, they poured a LOT of resources in a short period of time to solve that problem.
View All Quotes

Found it!  Thanks!

Link Posted: 9/21/2020 11:29:46 AM EDT
[#25]
You guys ever seen their slapping contest TV shows?

Slap contest Knockouts Compilation 2019 from Russia.
Link Posted: 9/21/2020 11:35:02 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By PraesidiumFabrica:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIT4uA3UeI4
View Quote

So, anyone know the latest on synthoil guy? Last I'd heard, he almost lost his arms from infection.
Link Posted: 9/21/2020 11:35:56 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Maccrage:

So, anyone know the latest on synthoil guy? Last I'd heard, he almost lost his arms from infection.
View Quote

I heard similar. No idea though.
Link Posted: 9/21/2020 11:39:52 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 9/21/2020 1:09:59 PM EDT
[#29]

My MRAP (MaxxPro-Plus) got hit by one of these in Mosul, fortunately it hit in the rear quarter and didn't do much damage and nobody got hurt.  My Gunner actually saw the guy throwing it, thought is was a small pipe bomb until the little drogue chute popped out the back.  My Gunner couldn't engage the thrower because he was in the middle of a crowd of people at the bazaar.  Come to find out later the Leader took a wrong turn and that's how we ended up trundling through the bazaar.
Link Posted: 9/21/2020 1:34:51 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By PraesidiumFabrica:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIT4uA3UeI4
View Quote

The female version is far better.

Russian butt slap competition

Link Posted: 9/21/2020 1:36:35 PM EDT
[#31]

View Quote

How do you even find that lol
Link Posted: 9/21/2020 3:05:50 PM EDT
[#32]

View Quote

I'd trade NFL for primetime ass slapping.
Link Posted: 9/21/2020 3:06:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PraesidiumFabrica] [#33]
Originally Posted By Finslayer83:

View Quote

Just watch baseball

Link Posted: 9/21/2020 3:18:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: brownbomber] [#34]
Originally Posted By Southern_Shooter80:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/259216/EB233233-E72D-4769-AE89-4E406775F4F1-706705.gif
View Quote

Their Gsh-30-1 single-barreled 30mm cannon is capable of puking out 30 rounds a second, although I think it artificially reduced to 25/second to prolong barrel life.  The operating spring impinges on an "accelerator" lever, since the rounds must be fed and ejected at a velocity nearing or possibly even in excess of rate-of-expansion of the spring.  They've had interesting, ridiculously-high-rate-of-fire machine guns dating back to the 1920s with the ShKas machine gun.

The stranded-wire spring was invented by the Soviets to provide a spring that wouldn't fail within a few hundred cycles from that kind of abuse.
Link Posted: 9/21/2020 3:19:57 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By brownbomber:

The stranded-wire spring was invented by the Soviets to provide a spring that wouldn't fail within a few hundred cycles from that kind of abuse.
View Quote

Source?

Link Posted: 9/21/2020 3:30:46 PM EDT
[#36]

Source?

View All Quotes

Source?

Spring Design and Application by Nicholas P. Chironis, 1961.  You can find it in PDF form online for free - it has been out of print for a long time.
Link Posted: 9/21/2020 3:52:53 PM EDT
[#37]

Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/21/2020 6:25:41 PM EDT
[#38]

Link Posted: 9/21/2020 6:37:59 PM EDT
[#39]

Fake pic but real concept:

The author of the project, Boris Ushakov, was working on the project as an engineer and military technician in 1937-1938. The name of the vehicle was “Flying Submarine”. In other words, it was a plane able to submerge in the water. It underwent many modifications, in its latest version it represented a solid metal plane whose flying speed was 100 knots, speed under the water – about 3 knots.
Link Posted: 9/21/2020 6:44:04 PM EDT
[#40]

That’s one big sub!
Link Posted: 9/21/2020 8:55:42 PM EDT
[#41]

Their Gsh-30-1 single-barreled 30mm cannon is capable of puking out 30 rounds a second, although I think it artificially reduced to 25/second to prolong barrel life.  The operating spring impinges on an "acceletator" lever, since the rounds must be fed and ejected at a velocity nearing or possibly even in excess of rate-of-expansion of the spring.  They've had interesting, ridiculously-high-rate-of-fire machine guns dating back to the 1920s with the ShKas machine gun.

View All Quotes
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/259216/EB233233-E72D-4769-AE89-4E406775F4F1-706705.gif

Their Gsh-30-1 single-barreled 30mm cannon is capable of puking out 30 rounds a second, although I think it artificially reduced to 25/second to prolong barrel life.  The operating spring impinges on an "acceletator" lever, since the rounds must be fed and ejected at a velocity nearing or possibly even in excess of rate-of-expansion of the spring.  They've had interesting, ridiculously-high-rate-of-fire machine guns dating back to the 1920s with the ShKas machine gun.

Is the AK-47/MAK-90 spring one of those?  
Link Posted: 9/21/2020 11:45:08 PM EDT
[#42]
View All Quotes

The hammer spring and the extractor spring in the AK are both stranded-wire springs.  I think the intent of using 3 wires in the hammer spring, which is a torsion spring, is simply to take advantage of the higher tensile strength and lower stress levels of the smaller wires - the strength of drawn wire increases tremendously as one progresses down to the smaller grades.  If it were made of a single wire, it would "take a set" at a lesser angle of deflection. The intent in the extractor spring, as in an operating spring, is to damp a mechanical "surge wave" and limit operating stresses and bouncing of the extractor.

I've seen pictures of stranded-wire operating springs in AKs, but mine doesn't have one.  I don't know if there was a variant that had one as standard.  Stranded-wire springs actually give inferior service life if they are NOT loaded quickly enough, so replacing a homogeneous single-wire spring with a stranded-wire spring is not always advisable.  I just checked a technical report on the ShKas machine gun that I have, and with the gas regulator fully-open, it is puking out an astonishing 36 rounds per second.  That is almost twice as fast as an MG42!  I believe the stranded-wire (made of 2 wires instead of 3, strangely) was invented for that weapon.
Link Posted: 9/21/2020 11:53:21 PM EDT
[#43]

Their Gsh-30-1 single-barreled 30mm cannon is capable of puking out 30 rounds a second, although I think it artificially reduced to 25/second to prolong barrel life.  The operating spring impinges on an "accelerator" lever, since the rounds must be fed and ejected at a velocity nearing or possibly even in excess of rate-of-expansion of the spring.  They've had interesting, ridiculously-high-rate-of-fire machine guns dating back to the 1920s with the ShKas machine gun.

View Quote
Pretty damned amazing for a single bbl and a caliber of that size.
Link Posted: 9/22/2020 12:05:44 PM EDT
[#44]

View Quote

Ok, you're hired. You can take over posting duties from the other guy with the slapping competition, starting immediately.
Link Posted: 9/22/2020 4:56:31 PM EDT
[#45]

The Russians have always sucked massive dick at being a naval power. Read up on their pacific fleet and then the reinforcements they sent after it was neutralized in the Russo Japanese war sometime. Total fucking shit show.
View All Quotes

The Russian 2nd Pacific Squadron - Voyage of the Damned
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 6:03:22 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By CFletch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Mdi_Fh9_Ag
View Quote

This video fulfills every stereotype about Russia, or Russian naval power, that I have ever heard.
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 6:40:25 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By limaxray:

I just got done re-reading Red Storm Rising, and am right in the middle of another trip through the Hunt for Red October, so this link (and thread) interests me.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By limaxray:
Originally Posted By hhsmiley:
I just discovered this youtube channel today.

Sub Brief

He was a former sonar man on a US sub apparently and he has more info than you'd probably ever want on Russian subs.

Very interesting stuff if you're even mildly into that kind of thing.

I just got done re-reading Red Storm Rising, and am right in the middle of another trip through the Hunt for Red October, so this link (and thread) interests me.

I started watching Jive when he was just streaming Cold Waters games. He would talk about his knowledge and experiences (as much as he could) during the game streams but started doing whiteboard videos when his viewers started asking for it. Pretty awesome that he's turned it all into a career. (he also writes for Warzone magazine now) His sonar clip analysis videos are fantastic.
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 7:13:26 AM EDT
[#48]

View All Quotes

Just don't trade your US Runners Association card for one.
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 8:07:54 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Maccrage:
I remember seeing this from I-5 while driving by. Random-ass former Czech MiG-21 that used to sit outside Jet Chevrolet in Federal Way, WA.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/145185/mig-21-1584685.jpg
View Quote

He bought it for like $12K when the wall fell and sold it when he sold the dealership to a former Seachicken player. He got something like $1.6mil out of it, good investment. Not the same driving thru that section of I-5 since he sold everything off.
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 8:32:35 AM EDT
[#50]
https://i.imgur.com/xUOuBIM.jpg

Date unknown.

https://i.imgur.com/cOfE2vu.png

https://i.imgur.com/QUIO091.png

https://i.imgur.com/0nLemHY.png

Between 2012 and 2013 most vehicles disappeared from the Rassokha vehicle graveyard, most likely they were scrapped and sold.

View Quote

Damn. If you're buying Russian vehicles or parts, better bring a giger counter.
Page / 78
Interesting Ruski stuff (Page 10 of 78)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top