BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 8:03:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I saw an infographic today that made me think of this.  The theory is that the great pyramid is a lighthouse with an always on maser.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/49447/7CF7BDB9-7020-4B55-BF5F-B3BDB92BD192_jpe-2417928.JPG

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I haven't. But Egyptology is just a hobby. My focus in school was Mesoamerican Prehistory. In reality, I did most of my actual fieldwork on Native American sites and such.

But, I can tell you with assurance, if that author and show questions the official narrative of Egyptology, it will never be taken seriously no matter how much evidence he presents or how solid his case. If Archaeology was a fortress with the drawbridge up to defend against new ideas, Egyptology is a sealed vault at the center of that fortress. The worst of it, when it comes to parroting dogma.
I don't know any more than the average American (which isn't much) about Egyptology, but this guy just took a trip there and says his group was given two hours of unrestricted access to the pyramids at a time they were closed to the public.  

Lol. I went with a tour group based out of Poland that had a serious "in" with the Egyptian Government. So much so that when the Military Police interrupted one of our outing looking for bribes, and our tour guide refused and was hauled into one of their jeeps, the guy from Poland showed up, made a phone call, and the Military got their dicks slapped. HARD. They were fucking with the money, in the wrong way. Plenty of bribes in the form of baksheesh got handed out to local police, tourist police, etc., as expected, but those guys were a little brazen about it.

We got behind-the-scenes access to the Great Pyramid, Red Pyramid, Sphinx, Luxor, and many other places for two weeks. It was EPIC. I could list the sites we visited, from Cairo all the way to the rebuilt Abu Simbel, and a lot of the time we were there alone for as much time as we wanted.

That guy is a "I want to believe" guy. That's fine. But the fact that the ancient Egyptians happened to build out of beautiful, sturdy, and most importantly AVAILABLE stones with quartz, granite, etc., doesn't mean they were building stargates with piezoelectric materials. I mean...holy shit. That's a SERIOUS leap.

Remember, extraordinary claims require something something something.

I saw an infographic today that made me think of this.  The theory is that the great pyramid is a lighthouse with an always on maser.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/49447/7CF7BDB9-7020-4B55-BF5F-B3BDB92BD192_jpe-2417928.JPG

The main problem with theories like this, besides the fact they can't be proven, is that they ignore every shred of evidence that exists.

The Great Pyramid isn't a "one off" thing used to signal ET. It's the culmination of a millennia of learning and building techniques. First, they started with mastabas. Then some ancient egomaniac/genius decided he wanted his tomb to be bigger, and stacked mastabas on top of one another. That culminates in the step pyramid design, such as the Step Pyramid at Saqqara. It's not as geometrically pleasing and pretty as it could be, so the next egomaniac/genius decides they should cut smooth casing stones out of gleaming limestone to really dazzle the eye and stun the commoner. Living Gods, after all. But...shit. We fucked up the angle on the first one and had to change it halfway up. But don't worry, we fixed it on the next one. And the Bent Pyramid looks pretty cool anyway, standing next to the Red Pyramid out at Dashur.

We got it now. We have it dialed in. Time for the most monumental building project ever undertaken by humankind...the Great Pyramid. We did it! Fuck, that was hard. What's that? You want one too? Ummm...sure. Let's, ah, make it smaller though. And the next one too. Not to mention the dozens, perhaps hundreds of others they built, disassembled, rebuilt, never finished, etc.

There's a very clear line of evolution from one to the other, before they gave up on the idea because it was, well...impressive, but stupid in terms of security, resource consumption, time required, etc.  The Great Pyramid was robbed in long-past antiquity. So were the others. The tombs in the Valley of the Kings weren't MUCH better, but, hey, at least Tutankhamun's survived the ages, mostly due to it being hastily re-purposed for him, then almost immediately buried over buy the rubble of a neighboring tomb, that WAS robbed.

Are there interesting things about the Great Pyramid? Hell yes. One of the weirdest things about it is the total lack of hieroglyphs and wall inscriptions. But, I'm not sure if ANY of the pyramids have those in them, unlike later tombs that had every available surface covered. I certainly don't remember any inside the Red Pyramid. Just an overwhelming odor of cat piss (centuries of visitors sweating in it with no ventilation left it with a ridiculous ammonia smell). I'm also really curious as to where the small shafts lead. We need another robotic exploration. The new proposed muon scattering survey could also definitively reveal any "hidden voids" in it. That would be ten kinds of awesome. I want a definitive answer about the Sphinx, if anything's under it, the Well of Osiris, etc.

But it's not likely to have been an intergalactic beacon. Occam's Razor, extraordinary claims, yadda yadda yadda. If it had been purpose built as an ET beacon, presumably ET would have shown us how to build it all at once, not made us go through a thousand years of baby steps.

Never underestimate human ingenuity, especially when you have smart people with access to large populations and unlimited power/resources for long periods of the year. It's not aliens. It's ego.
Link Posted: 6/15/2022 9:06:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

The main problem with theories like this, besides the fact they can't be proven, is that they ignore every shred of evidence that exists.

The Great Pyramid isn't a "one off" thing used to signal ET. It's the culmination of a millennia of learning and building techniques. First, they started with mastabas. Then some ancient egomaniac/genius decided he wanted his tomb to be bigger, and stacked mastabas on top of one another. That culminates in the step pyramid design, such as the Step Pyramid at Saqqara. It's not as geometrically pleasing and pretty as it could be, so the next egomaniac/genius decides they should cut smooth casing stones out of gleaming limestone to really dazzle the eye and stun the commoner. Living Gods, after all. But...shit. We fucked up the angle on the first one and had to change it halfway up. But don't worry, we fixed it on the next one. And the Bent Pyramid looks pretty cool anyway, standing next to the Red Pyramid out at Dashur.

We got it now. We have it dialed in. Time for the most monumental building project ever undertaken by humankind...the Great Pyramid. We did it! Fuck, that was hard. What's that? You want one too? Ummm...sure. Let's, ah, make it smaller though. And the next one too. Not to mention the dozens, perhaps hundreds of others they built, disassembled, rebuilt, never finished, etc.

There's a very clear line of evolution from one to the other, before they gave up on the idea because it was, well...impressive, but stupid in terms of security, resource consumption, time required, etc.  The Great Pyramid was robbed in long-past antiquity. So were the others. The tombs in the Valley of the Kings weren't MUCH better, but, hey, at least Tutankhamun's survived the ages, mostly due to it being hastily re-purposed for him, then almost immediately buried over buy the rubble of a neighboring tomb, that WAS robbed.

Are there interesting things about the Great Pyramid? Hell yes. One of the weirdest things about it is the total lack of hieroglyphs and wall inscriptions. But, I'm not sure if ANY of the pyramids have those in them, unlike later tombs that had every available surface covered. I certainly don't remember any inside the Red Pyramid. Just an overwhelming odor of cat piss (centuries of visitors sweating in it with no ventilation left it with a ridiculous ammonia smell). I'm also really curious as to where the small shafts lead. We need another robotic exploration. The new proposed muon scattering survey could also definitively reveal any "hidden voids" in it. That would be ten kinds of awesome. I want a definitive answer about the Sphinx, if anything's under it, the Well of Osiris, etc.

But it's not likely to have been an intergalactic beacon. Occam's Razor, extraordinary claims, yadda yadda yadda. If it had been purpose built as an ET beacon, presumably ET would have shown us how to build it all at once, not made us go through a thousand years of baby steps.

Never underestimate human ingenuity, especially when you have smart people with access to large populations and unlimited power/resources for long periods of the year. It's not aliens. It's ego.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I haven't. But Egyptology is just a hobby. My focus in school was Mesoamerican Prehistory. In reality, I did most of my actual fieldwork on Native American sites and such.

But, I can tell you with assurance, if that author and show questions the official narrative of Egyptology, it will never be taken seriously no matter how much evidence he presents or how solid his case. If Archaeology was a fortress with the drawbridge up to defend against new ideas, Egyptology is a sealed vault at the center of that fortress. The worst of it, when it comes to parroting dogma.
I don't know any more than the average American (which isn't much) about Egyptology, but this guy just took a trip there and says his group was given two hours of unrestricted access to the pyramids at a time they were closed to the public.  

Lol. I went with a tour group based out of Poland that had a serious "in" with the Egyptian Government. So much so that when the Military Police interrupted one of our outing looking for bribes, and our tour guide refused and was hauled into one of their jeeps, the guy from Poland showed up, made a phone call, and the Military got their dicks slapped. HARD. They were fucking with the money, in the wrong way. Plenty of bribes in the form of baksheesh got handed out to local police, tourist police, etc., as expected, but those guys were a little brazen about it.

We got behind-the-scenes access to the Great Pyramid, Red Pyramid, Sphinx, Luxor, and many other places for two weeks. It was EPIC. I could list the sites we visited, from Cairo all the way to the rebuilt Abu Simbel, and a lot of the time we were there alone for as much time as we wanted.

That guy is a "I want to believe" guy. That's fine. But the fact that the ancient Egyptians happened to build out of beautiful, sturdy, and most importantly AVAILABLE stones with quartz, granite, etc., doesn't mean they were building stargates with piezoelectric materials. I mean...holy shit. That's a SERIOUS leap.

Thats the best argument to debunk just about any ET theory on the Pyramids I've ever read.

Now I have to wonder what is more impressive, the engineering of the pyramids, or the creativity put into alternative uses and functions for them.
Link Posted: 6/15/2022 9:22:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Double Tap
Link Posted: 6/15/2022 9:50:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Fishing Reddit, I came across a video of three guys live streaming in 2012, One went offline, and for a split second, the webcam reconnected.

I assume it’s a hoax, but man,  creepy as fuck,

Attachment Attached File

Video, https://www.reddit.com/r/Humanoidencounters/comments/vacrhg/i_found_this_video_but_cant_find_a/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf
Link Posted: 6/17/2022 2:07:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/17/2022 6:11:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Thats the best argument to debunk just about any ET theory on the Pyramids I've ever read.

Now I have to wonder what is more impressive, the engineering of the pyramids, or the creativity put into alternative uses and functions for them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hehehe. Let's call that one a tie.

I will say this...most things people talk up don't impress me. "Oh, you have to go see such and such! It's amazeballs!" I go, and am usually disappointed.

Not the pyramids though. Those are the real deal. They are awe-inspiring feats of pure engineering willpower and man-hours. Incredible. I'm hoping to go back some day.
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 6:52:38 AM EDT
[#7]
@brass
Ship mirage?

Link Posted: 6/29/2022 2:19:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/30/2022 7:11:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Doubtful.

There is a group of people interested in the "Nazi Bell".

https://i.imgur.com/44Aq0g0.jpg

There is a whole theory of a "Breakway Civilization" which occurred in the same timeframe as US Operation Paperclip, where all the Tech and "Aryan Race" (some suppose they were 'aliens' which propelled German Tech in the early and mid 20th Century until their facilities were bombed to oblivion) spread to South America and Antarctica and continued development but stayed isolated and peaceful from the rest of the world.

Little outside the topic of this thread though, there's several websites on it with different variations on the same theme.

One site covering a bit of it

Another site related to the "bell" itself

Theories of what the UFOs and all the other stuff might have in common which includes a breakway civilization.

It gets pretty fringe really quick on those sites, so suspend disbelief before clicking.  
View Quote

Joseph Ferrell has a great interview/podcast on the subject

The Legend of the Nazi Bell - Part 1 Context - Dr Joseph P Farrell
Link Posted: 6/30/2022 4:10:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Ok, that is an awesome image.  Has the Smithsonian put toghether their Horton or is this something else?  My Google fu is failing me and it's killing me, what is this from??
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Ok, that is an awesome image.  Has the Smithsonian put toghether their Horton or is this something else?  My Google fu is failing me and it's killing me, what is this from??

That  is probably the probably the full scale mock-up built by Northrop so they could test it on a radar cross section pole
There was a TV show on Nat Geo (I think) several years ago.  It followed the same external construction which was largely plywood.
Link Posted: 7/1/2022 9:00:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Grey Alien Filmed By KGB

Link Posted: 7/1/2022 8:42:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

That's pretty cool, especially the Flying Dutchman at the bottom!

It could be, but what would be over the horizon of that shape?  Taking it as an item of itself and thinking of all the different optical illusions that could warping it, what looks close to that?  The in/out splashes would also have to be made over the horizon to see, the light skimming the see  just warps things around a bit, sort of like gravitational  lensing but not gravitational lensing — temperature lensing would be apt I suppose, it can't make up new things to be seen, only wrap other things around to be seen, ,the sea has a more steady contrast than land but in very hot desert where that temp change is also stable things very far away can appear to be just a little bit ahead (Famed oasis).

Cool photos!  The Flat Earth crowd would love those for 'proof' the world is flat somehow, they use seeing across a strait as proof though it's the same phenomenon.  I'm pretty sure they are wrong on the flat but I'm not walking away from Atlantis, Antarctica, or hollow earth just yet, just in the presentation of the claims.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

That's pretty cool, especially the Flying Dutchman at the bottom!

It could be, but what would be over the horizon of that shape?  Taking it as an item of itself and thinking of all the different optical illusions that could warping it, what looks close to that?  The in/out splashes would also have to be made over the horizon to see, the light skimming the see  just warps things around a bit, sort of like gravitational  lensing but not gravitational lensing — temperature lensing would be apt I suppose, it can't make up new things to be seen, only wrap other things around to be seen, ,the sea has a more steady contrast than land but in very hot desert where that temp change is also stable things very far away can appear to be just a little bit ahead (Famed oasis).

Cool photos!  The Flat Earth crowd would love those for 'proof' the world is flat somehow, they use seeing across a strait as proof though it's the same phenomenon.  I'm pretty sure they are wrong on the flat but I'm not walking away from Atlantis, Antarctica, or hollow earth just yet, just in the presentation of the claims.

If you look close at the cruise ship and the sailing ship photos, you can see the water line right at the bottom of their hulls, or just past. The water farther away just fades to grey, matching the sky. Cool photos, but nothing unusual.

The container ship looks like a photoshop job to me, but, well...I'm an obvious skeptic and usually go with the simplest explanation.
Link Posted: 7/2/2022 3:50:41 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 3:01:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/26/2022 12:08:53 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

Thread went sideways with weird videos and photos of mirages and ships. Back on track.

Excellent points you've made. I'm also of the belief that the artifacts of ancient Egypt are the labors of countless people driven to a goal that was very human in origin, but lost to us through time. Distilled down to it's essence, Ego, coupled with tradition are powerful motivators

I've enjoyed your insights and skepticism, particularly since it is respectful and coupled with real world experience.

Hope to see you continue to share, debate and discuss.
Link Posted: 7/26/2022 7:36:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Thread went sideways with weird videos and photos of mirages and ships. Back on track.

Excellent points you've made. I'm also of the belief that the artifacts of ancient Egypt are the labors of countless people driven to a goal that was very human in origin, but lost to us through time. Distilled down to it's essence, Ego, coupled with tradition are powerful motivators

I've enjoyed your insights and skepticism, particularly since it is respectful and coupled with real world experience.

View Quote

Thanks! I do try to be respectful, but I also try (and usually fail) to be funny. You'll see a lot of in my posts to mark out those points.

I'm not a skeptic about certain things. For example, I believe 1000% that we're not alone in the universe. The problem is, I also think that it's the height of human hubris to think we're important enough to be visited by aliens. Especially considering the ridiculous difficulties encountered when trying to cross interstellar distances.

I will say this too...the Fermi Paradox REALLY bugs the shit out of me. There are so many potential answers, each more horrifying and/or depressing than the last. It's one of the things that makes me lean into the thought that we really are a simulation, and that the aliens and answers to the GUT simply haven't been programmed in yet. "Aliens," "spirits," "angels," "demons," "extra-dimensional travelers," etc. etc. etc. ad nauseum can easily be explained as the programmers one level up (because they're likely in a simulation to...it's turtles all the way down) checking in on us.

Another depressing thought.

Anyway, here's to many years of fun and interesting discussions!  
Link Posted: 7/26/2022 9:54:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 7/26/2022 11:16:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Likely at best a Bronze Age to Stone Age.  There is no evidence that an industrial or post-Industrial civilization existed prior to ours on this Earth.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I like Graham Hancock’s take that there was advanced (iron age or pre industrial Revolution) civilization that was wiped away during the Younger Dryas Event,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rxmw9eizOAo

Richard Cassaro backs that up with his study of Triptych Architecture and how virtually every religion on Earth has a common root that predates the Younger Dryas event.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZuK72eQGwA

Putting them together, it paints a picture that there was a globalized civilization prior to about 12,500 years ago.  A likely commentary impact put us back to the stone age.

Likely at best a Bronze Age to Stone Age.  There is no evidence that an industrial or post-Industrial civilization existed prior to ours on this Earth.  

And there never will be, because Hancock's theory is conveniently drown under 400 feet of water for 10,000+ years.
Link Posted: 7/26/2022 11:56:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 12:13:37 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

The thing that bothers me?    If this alternate being/reality/visitors have Good Intentions, We I figure we should have heard of them by now and with their tech advantage they could have taken over running the world without anything anybody could do about it.   So the term "negotiations" kind of lingers and bothers me when thinking about the superior tech, the dicey nature people refer to it (not overtly malevolent, but not overtly benevolent, either, that we know of).

If it isn't related to one/some of the worlds religions, that makes it even more of a puzzler with the hints we've been given.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks! I do try to be respectful, but I also try (and usually fail) to be funny. You'll see a lot of in my posts to mark out those points.

I'm not a skeptic about certain things. For example, I believe 1000% that we're not alone in the universe. The problem is, I also think that it's the height of human hubris to think we're important enough to be visited by aliens. Especially considering the ridiculous difficulties encountered when trying to cross interstellar distances.

I will say this too...the Fermi Paradox REALLY bugs the shit out of me. There are so many potential answers, each more horrifying and/or depressing than the last. It's one of the things that makes me lean into the thought that we really are a simulation, and that the aliens and answers to the GUT simply haven't been programmed in yet. "Aliens," "spirits," "angels," "demons," "extra-dimensional travelers," etc. etc. etc. ad nauseum can easily be explained as the programmers one level up (because they're likely in a simulation to...it's turtles all the way down) checking in on us.

Another depressing thought.

Anyway, here's to many years of fun and interesting discussions!  

The thing that bothers me?    If this alternate being/reality/visitors have Good Intentions, We I figure we should have heard of them by now and with their tech advantage they could have taken over running the world without anything anybody could do about it.   So the term "negotiations" kind of lingers and bothers me when thinking about the superior tech, the dicey nature people refer to it (not overtly malevolent, but not overtly benevolent, either, that we know of).

If it isn't related to one/some of the worlds religions, that makes it even more of a puzzler with the hints we've been given.

You're missing the point of the simulation concept. They're not malevolent. Or benevolent. We're an experiment. A simulation, that they (whoever they are and however they present themselves) check on from time to time to see how it's progressing. They don't need to "take over the world," they designed it, however flawed it might be.

The world's religions are just a mechanism to try and make sense of it. Reincarnation? Heaven? Maybe you've just proven you've advanced enough to go on to the NEXT simulation...
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 3:42:17 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 1:28:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I think the revelations of the Younger Dryas event are really fascinating and really are starting to tie a lot of things together.  Really makes for legitimacy of global flooding events and a total reset.  I'm really finding the Gobleke Tepe and other current discoveries in that area interesting.  I absolutely believe we have forgotten far more than we know.  But... I don't claim to have any real understanding of any of it.
View Quote

Yes. And likely tied to pole reversal.
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 12:16:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
What if they aren’t extraterrestrials? What if they’re from here? They just live beneath the surface.
View Quote

There was Baptist pastor, Peter Ruckman, that was saying that as far back as the late 50’s to early 60’s. I won’t post walls of text, mostly because I don’t have time, but I’ll post a few videos of one of his former students at his Bible college. Ruckman passed on several years back and it’s hard to track down recordings on this subject but he does have two books.

UFOs Escaped Noah's Flood?(Genesis 7:17-8:4) | Dr. Gene Kim

UFOs, Flying Saucers & E.T. in the Bible | Dr. Gene Kim

DEMON WAR! Satan, Aliens, Leviathan & Devil Possession | Dr. Gene Kim

Antichrist's UFO Under the Mediterranean Sea (Revelation 17:1-2) | Dr. Gene Kim

THE PIT OPENS Apollyon, Machine Demons & UFOs (Rev. 9:8-12) | Dr. Gene Kim

Mutants, Aliens & Angels Are Walking Among Us | Dr. Gene Kim

gods, UFOs, Atlantis, Supermen, Bermuda Triangle, Aliens | Beginner's Discipleship #39 | Dr. Kim

Are Sons of God Really Alien Angels? - Dr. Gene Kim

Link Posted: 8/10/2022 1:11:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Floating Ships: Mirages and How They Work  This is the cruise ship related in an article last year
One identified, others who knows based on when they were taken.  Atmosphere lensing -> Mirage could be a long way off.

Article on the tanker Both incidents were in Northern Atlantic when there was a large atmospheric temperature gradient near as I can tell.  Not sure about the sailing ship, but it's also showing only waterline up so not "floating" in air, just illusion of that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Floating Ships: Mirages and How They Work  This is the cruise ship related in an article last year
One identified, others who knows based on when they were taken.  Atmosphere lensing -> Mirage could be a long way off.

Article on the tanker Both incidents were in Northern Atlantic when there was a large atmospheric temperature gradient near as I can tell.  Not sure about the sailing ship, but it's also showing only waterline up so not "floating" in air, just illusion of that.

Should a been more detailed in my reply.  I mean the ships in the slideshow. They look like nothing I've seen.
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 6:43:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
The Black Vault has a real interesting rundown on this case.

https://www.theblackvault.com/casefiles/arctic-ufo-photographs-uss-trepang-ssn-674-march-1971/
View Quote

It does kinda look like a target balloon now

I want to believe tho......

Link Posted: 8/10/2022 6:48:28 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 9:35:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

If a pre-last Ice Age industrial civilization existed prior to ours, we would see evidence where they mined certain minerals if nothing else.  Not to mention certain stainless steels and other things that would survive south of the moraine line.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And there never will be, because Hancock's theory is conveniently drown under 400 feet of water for 10,000+ years.

If a pre-last Ice Age industrial civilization existed prior to ours, we would see evidence where they mined certain minerals if nothing else.  Not to mention certain stainless steels and other things that would survive south of the moraine line.

He doesn't really posit "Industrial Age" civilization existing that long ago.

Just a civilization that was more advanced than those around them. I.e. they'd figured out things like basic farming, copper/bronze work maybe, the ability to cross water and navigate, that sort of thing.

It's not a crazy theory. It's entirely possible. When you live next to the ocean, and can scrape dinner off a rock or from a tide pool any time you need it, and have a source of fresh water (river flowing into the sea), you can suddenly have a lot more free time. Time to be creative, experiment with growing plants, pounding on shiny rocks you found that seem to bend instead of break, figure out how to make a basic boat, etc.

Meanwhile, everyone else is still scraping by as hunter-gatherers, working harder than you for calories.

Then the oceans rise 400 feet in a thousand years or so, everything you've built in the past few centuries is wiped off the map, and you don't have the time or resources to rebuild everything in so short a period. Your culture disperses, brings their knowledge along, and influences the classic cultures we know about. Many of whom have legends and myths about "bringers of civilization." Prometheus, Virracocha, and many, many more.

Like I said, it's an extraordinary claim, but not an outlandish or wacky one. It's not a missing industrial civilization, aliens, extradimensional gods, or anything else. Just people who had extra time, for a long time.

And any evidence is, as I mentioned, drowned under hundreds of feet of water for a dozen millennia. Convenient way to sell books.
Link Posted: 8/19/2022 8:48:05 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Just a civilization that was more advanced than those around them. I.e. they'd figured out things like basic farming, copper/bronze work maybe, the ability to cross water and navigate, that sort of thing.

It's not a crazy theory. It's entirely possible. When you live next to the ocean, and can scrape dinner off a rock or from a tide pool any time you need it, and have a source of fresh water (river flowing into the sea), you can suddenly have a lot more free time. Time to be creative, experiment with growing plants, pounding on shiny rocks you found that seem to bend instead of break, figure out how to make a basic boat, etc.

Meanwhile, everyone else is still scraping by as hunter-gatherers, working harder than you for calories.

Then the oceans rise 400 feet in a thousand years or so, everything you've built in the past few centuries is wiped off the map, and you don't have the time or resources to rebuild everything in so short a period. Your culture disperses, brings their knowledge along, and influences the classic cultures we know about. Many of whom have legends and myths about "bringers of civilization." Prometheus, Virracocha, and many, many more.

Like I said, it's an extraordinary claim, but not an outlandish or wacky one. It's not a missing industrial civilization, aliens, extradimensional gods, or anything else. Just people who had extra time, for a long time.

And any evidence is, as I mentioned, drowned under hundreds of feet of water for a dozen millennia. Convenient way to sell books.
View Quote

Human brains grew a lot during the period we scrapped stuff from rocks at the shores and tidal pools.

That's still hunter-gatherer.

The real societal revolution was agriculture and animal husbandry.
Link Posted: 8/19/2022 11:38:13 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Human brains grew a lot during the period we scrapped stuff from rocks at the shores and tidal pools.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And yet, IIRC, saying "human brains grew a lot between hunter-gatherer and agricultural societies" is nothing more than disproven phrenology. The change was cultural, not physical. Homo Sapiens Sapiens has been around for 250,000 years, with roughly the same cranial capacity.

If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. Show me the studies.
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 9:34:08 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

And yet, IIRC, saying "human brains grew a lot between hunter-gatherer and agricultural societies" is nothing more than disproven phrenology. The change was cultural, not physical. Homo Sapiens Sapiens has been around for 250,000 years, with roughly the same cranial capacity.

If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. Show me the studies.
View Quote

I've never seen anything disproving that human brains grew exponentially when early humans left the grasslands (already standing/walking upright) and congregated on coastlines, scrounging tidal pools and estuaries for shellfish, et al.

If you subscribe to evolution, modern Man came from these proto-humans; Homo Habilis, Homo Erectus, etc, etc.

As for Homo Sapien Sapiens being 250K old, assuming that's all the older we are, that's a helluva a lot of time to exist w/o civilization developing until, say, 6,500 YBP (as Egyptologists would have you believe, for example). I have no problem with the assertion that "advanced" societies/civilizations existed prior to 12,500 YBP.

I also have no problem with theories that the greatest monuments of Egypt were constructed far earlier than the official line states, too. Water erosion on the Great Sphinx and its enclosure is obvious. And, as is seen in S. America, the older civilizations are the more advanced in their building techniques.
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 1:03:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Aliens are here, and they're not our friends, John Lear says -- Part 1
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 3:29:44 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

SNIP

SNIP
View Quote

So one thing about the Fermi Paradox is that it is based critically upon the Drake Equation.  And while there isn't really much problem with the Drake Equation in of itself, the fact is that the variables in it are almost entirely unknown or that there are additional key variables that we do not know about.  Drake put some numbers in for his variables which leads to the theory that there are between 1,000 and 100,000,000 civilizations in out galaxy.  The things is, all of those assumptions are based off of what is basically a guess.  All it takes is for one of those variables to be much closer to zero or for there to be an unknown variable that kills of civilizations (for example, what is the chance of a planet experiencing a life sterilizing event prior to becoming an interplanetary civilization able to survive such an event?  Thats not even addressed in the Drake Equation) and the Fermi Paradox ceases to exist because in fact it would mean that we are functionally alone (or close to it) in our galaxy.

Bottom line, the Fermi Paradox only exists if we assume that life as we understand it (very poorly) is common and springs up easily, based upon a sample size of 1 and a LOT of guesswork.
Link Posted: 4/27/2023 4:30:01 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

So one thing about the Fermi Paradox is that it is based critically upon the Drake Equation.  And while there isn't really much problem with the Drake Equation in of itself, the fact is that the variables in it are almost entirely unknown or that there are additional key variables that we do not know about.  Drake put some numbers in for his variables which leads to the theory that there are between 1,000 and 100,000,000 civilizations in out galaxy.  The things is, all of those assumptions are based off of what is basically a guess.  All it takes is for one of those variables to be much closer to zero or for there to be an unknown variable that kills of civilizations (for example, what is the chance of a planet experiencing a life sterilizing event prior to becoming an interplanetary civilization able to survive such an event?  Thats not even addressed in the Drake Equation) and the Fermi Paradox ceases to exist because in fact it would mean that we are functionally alone (or close to it) in our galaxy.

Bottom line, the Fermi Paradox only exists if we assume that life as we understand it (very poorly) is common and springs up easily, based upon a sample size of 1 and a LOT of guesswork.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

SNIP

SNIP

Definitely correct. The Drake Equation can be used pessimistically to get a result of 1 (us), optimistically to come up with virtually unlimited numbers, or anything in between. But, using conservative numbers, you end up with a still-significant number, even if it's 100, 1000, or whatever.

Also, the most depressing answer to the Fermi paradox would be that we're completely alone in a mind-bogglingly massive universe.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top