User Panel

Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 11:43:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
NICE!  I've got a copy of that.

Take care of that book--when they do show up on Ebay, they run about $150.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

YES!  That is the book!  Thank you!  Awesome book.  Chuck Hansen - "U.S. Nuclear Weapons:  The Secret History".

I'm not a thief, but that is one book I was very much contemplating keeping when I borrowed it from the Boeing Tech Library years ago.  

BTL also had a very interesting set of books about the US nuclear weapons industry, 8-10 volumes IRC.  History, technology, the science,  lot of good stuff.  Ring any bells?  "Nuclear Weapons Handbook" maybe?   I'd like to see if I could find a copy for myself.
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 11:44:15 AM EDT
[#2]
I lived on Guam many decades ago and traveled to Tinian with some local people.

This was before they had the covers on the bomb pits and we spent the day climbing in and out of the pits picking up junk.

I know, cool story.
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 12:47:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:  I don't think that's quite right...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Project A (Alberta) member CDR A. Francis Birch (left) numbers Little Boy Unit L-11 while Norman Ramsey (right) watches. This is the actual unit which was dropped on Nagasaki.
I don't think that's quite right...
I caught that too.
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 12:56:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Cool pics....thanks for sharing.
View Quote
ETA I’m in for a shirt as well!
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 8:52:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I wonder if they had the firing devices in them?

Might have been checking to be sure there was a near 100% chance of them going off.  It would have been bad for an undetonated one to fall into enemy hands
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I wonder if they had the firing devices in them?

Might have been checking to be sure there was a near 100% chance of them going off.  It would have been bad for an undetonated one to fall into enemy hands
Not my area of expertise, but, stateside they were testing the aero side of them, and the aff (arming, fuzing firing) confidence. That set of box fins on the back was derisively called a 'California parachute', for instance. They'd never tried to drop something that size before, and didn't want to sacrifice planes if they could help it.

The JPN drops, if I recall correctly, (and, I'm probably not) had conventional HE fill only, and were supposed to be a ruse to get them to not pay attention to the Fat Man, just another type of yankee ordnance.

I think. lol

Quoted:

YES!  That is the book!  Thank you!  Awesome book.  Chuck Hansen - "U.S. Nuclear Weapons:  The Secret History".
I talked to him a couple of times. *THINK* one of my two copies is autographed. Talked to his wife a few times after he had passed and she was hawking the second set of his research on CD's.

It's strange, 99% of the nuclear weapon researchers in the field today are STRONGLY anti-nuke. (I have to be careful what I say to them, lol).

Quoted:

Perhaps we are getting too far afield, but:

- every August 6th, a wretched cabal of leftists, anti-Americans, hippies, peace-nics, and many in Japan, wail and gnash their rotten teeth over our bombing of Hiroshima.

Sorry, not sorry.
Yep. Them fuckers clog up the entrance to Y12 every. year. Cry and bitch and moan about the very thing that kept my grampa from boarding a boat to Tokyo, and, I believe, the main reason we've never seen another world war.

I've always wanted to counterprotest. I've always been in jobs where I can't take an arrest, even for civil disobedience. But I'd like to.

Anyway, if y'all want the end all / be all book on LB and FM, it's this: https://www.amazon.com/Atom-Bombs-Secret-Inside-Little/dp/B0006S2AJ0

His story is also interesting, but sadly, another anti-nuker.

Two more books any person serious about this topic would have, no question:

https://www.amazon.com/Los-Alamos-Primer-Lectures-Atomic/dp/0520075765/ref=pd_sim_14_1?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=0520075765&pd_rd_r=dacb4d39-f439-11e8-970d-eb7b55e679a8&pd_rd_w=2gzQT&pd_rd_wg=4Auww&pf_rd_i=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=18bb0b78-4200-49b9-ac91-f141d61a1780&pf_rd_r=Y52B22T02KN5W5BRB249&pf_rd_s=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_t=40701&psc=1&refRID=Y52B22T02KN5W5BRB249

and

https://www.amazon.com/Curve-Binding-Energy-Alarming-Theodore/dp/0374515980/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1543539034&sr=1-1&keywords=curve+of+binding+energy
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 2:20:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've never brought myself to spring for a copy, I really should.
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 4:09:43 AM EDT
[#7]
I would love a shirt with that logo if they are made.
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 7:53:04 AM EDT
[#8]
I’m going to work on getting shirts made up.

With or without Badger Ordnance Works?

Color of shirt?

Stenciled or vinyl JANCFU FM logo?

Cast your votes gents
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 8:33:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I'm going to work on getting shirts made up.

With or without Badger Ordnance Works? With

Color of shirt? Gray, Dk blue, tan, green. The usual colors.

Stenciled or vinyl JANCFU FM logo? Whatever one looks better and has more durability.

Cast your votes gents
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 8:51:10 AM EDT
[#10]
I'am a professional modelmaker and here's a kit I built for a physicist customer of mine. It's a 12th scale model sold by Masterpiece models.

Link Posted: 12/1/2018 9:20:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I'am a professional modelmaker and here's a kit I built for a physicist customer of mine. It's a 12th scale model sold by Masterpiece models.

https://i.imgur.com/dx1KNZDl.jpg
View Quote
Holy shit that's cool!
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 9:49:38 AM EDT
[#12]
Love this stuff. Just watched the Paul Newman movie last night, hadn't seen it in a long time. Pretty good flick even with all of the long hair hand wringing.
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 12:58:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Holly hell now days some E9 would come up screaming about no PT belts and threaten to shut it all down and UCMJ for everyone not in full uniform and covered.
View Quote
The first shipment of plutonium sent to Los Alamos from Hanford was just carried on public train most of the way in a box wrapped like a common package.  What would people say about that today.  After that they took trucks and had a thompson SMG at least.
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 1:23:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
Neat!!  How did you do the inscriptions?
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 1:30:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

With or without Badger Ordnance Works? With

Color of shirt?White

Stenciled or vinyl JANCFU FM logo?Stenciled would be cool

Cast your votes gents
View Quote
XL please
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 1:42:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Love this stuff. Just watched the Paul Newman movie last night, hadn't seen it in a long time. Pretty good flick even with all of the long hair hand wringing.
View Quote
That's mostly what I remember that movie for.  I bet there was very little, if any, hand wringing in 1943-1945.  
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 1:49:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
These are the types of images that get stuck in a craw in the brain and never leave.

Fascinating.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I also find it fascinating (thx again, OP).

I'm especially intrigued by the photos of the very earliest stages, where mass is being converted to energy and conditions mimic the early universe:

https://i.stack.imgur.com/2mt4P.jpg

What a strange moment in time.
These are the types of images that get stuck in a craw in the brain and never leave.

Fascinating.
The pics of injured stick around too.
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 1:59:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
The incident where a technician dropped a tool in a silo and caused an enourmous explosion (though not nuclear) is detailed in this excellent documentary, which also briefly touches on several other "broken arrow" incidents we have experienced:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/10/Command_and_Control_%28film%29.png

It is well-worth the watch.

And it begs the question: how many close-calls / broken arrow incidents did the Russians and Chinese have?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
My parents have an excellent coffee table book back home called "Nuclear Weapons" (I know that doesn't help much, I'll get the author & info next time I'm back home), which is the best book to date that I've ever seen on the subject.  It goes into as much detail as legally possible (probably) about the 3-stage Teller-Ulam device (a design that was "fiendishly clever"), eye-witness accounts of nuclear tests, how Castle Bravo was MUCH bigger than expected and nearly blew away the observers, and a number of accidents that occurred (like one where a guy dropped a socket wrench down a silo, rupturing the missile fuel tank and causing a huge fire).  I love reading that book.
If that's Chuck Hansen's book that's a valuable item.

As far as Castle Bravo, it didn't so much blow anyone away as blast radius doesn't increase that much with increased yield. It was more that the fallout quantity was much larger and covered a larger area than anticipated.  They learned a lot about high yield thermonuclear devices.
The incident where a technician dropped a tool in a silo and caused an enourmous explosion (though not nuclear) is detailed in this excellent documentary, which also briefly touches on several other "broken arrow" incidents we have experienced:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/10/Command_and_Control_%28film%29.png

It is well-worth the watch.

And it begs the question: how many close-calls / broken arrow incidents did the Russians and Chinese have?
Lots. But sometimes they trusted Americans over their own sensors and decided to not launch themselves.
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 2:18:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
when i was a kid in elementary school, we had a project where we had to make something artistic frm a hard boiled egg the teacher gave us

i built the fins out of card stock and painted the whole thing dull dark green

I thought it was cool, but she rolled her eyes

that looks much cooler
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 2:26:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Fascinating
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 2:36:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

A Fat Man, Little Boy lowers pair would sell like hotcakes in a lumber jack camp, somebody could make a good amount of money and send a message all at the same time.
View Quote
Fat man an AR-10 and little boy an AR-15?
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 4:11:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote
Very nice.
I am familiar with that company's products, have several of the riverine kits, all unbuilt so far.
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 4:19:36 PM EDT
[#23]
It's on Prime.
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 4:21:31 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
It's on Prime.
View Quote
 "Fat Man & Little Boy"
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 6:52:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

With or without Badger Ordnance Works?

Color of shirt? Yellow of the bomb, with orange JANCFU FM

Stenciled or vinyl JANCFU FM logo? Stenciled

Cast your votes gents
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 9:31:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Neat!!  How did you do the inscriptions?
View Quote
A dull pencil applied over a rough matt surface, without the dullcoat the pencil wouldn't work on the glossy painted surface.

another picture. I didn't have the best reference materials when built so the signatures aren't 100% accurate but pretty close.  The rear stabilizing fins are a mix of brass P.E. and plastic card so when I saw the kit I thought  this is gonna be an easy build, not so the fin section was a bitch. I included the customers name on the right side fin too.

I like rear admiral WR Purnells inscription left side front, " A Second Kiss for Hirohito"

Link Posted: 12/5/2018 10:23:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

A dull pencil applied over a rough matt surface, without the dullcoat the pencil wouldn't work on the glossy painted surface.

another picture. I didn't have the best reference materials when built so the signatures aren't 100% accurate but pretty close.  The rear stabilizing fins are a mix of brass P.E. and plastic card so when I saw the kit I thought  this is gonna be an easy build, not so the fin section was a bitch. I included the customers name on the right side fin too.

I like rear admiral WR Purnells inscription left side front, " A Second Kiss for Hirohito"
https://i.imgur.com/Qe3KBSHl.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/ZWUMlbOl.jpg
View Quote
Why did you put the RADAR antennas on top?

thread legal: wanna watch one of my most favoritest movies in the early 80's? Think I'm gonna try and find the thing on the net tonight...

https://www.amazon.com/Manhattan-Project-John-Lithgow/dp/B01CJ5WWU4
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 10:49:51 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Why did you put the RADAR antennas on top?
View Quote
I noticed that immediately as well. Should be four sets of antennas for the radar, spaced equally around the circumference.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 11:36:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I noticed that immediately as well. Should be four sets of antennas for the radar, spaced equally around the circumference.
View Quote
... considering they are taller than the bomb shackle in that position... I could believe it had I not seen the actual system once or twice.

THIS IS WHY AS-BUILT DRAWINGS WERE INVENTED FOR! lol

Pretty model, at any rate. I occasionally trawl the 3d repositories looking for nuke cutaways. It'll happen one day
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 12:19:40 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 2:27:32 PM EDT
[#31]
I need to go back to Wright Patt...

Link Posted: 12/7/2018 7:22:20 PM EDT
[#32]
would one of you historian-types explain the complete absence of dog tags on anyone in any picture?  
safety reasons?  not actually .mil people?  navy guys who ditch wearing their tags right after boot?

here's the link again:  http://www.alternatewars.com/Bomb_Loading/Bomb_Guide.htm

example:

Link Posted: 12/9/2018 7:59:28 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

would one of you historian-types explain the complete absence of dog tags on anyone in any picture?  
safety reasons?  not actually .mil people?  navy guys who ditch wearing their tags right after boot?

here's the link again:  http://www.alternatewars.com/Bomb_Loading/Bomb_Guide.htm

example:

http://www.alternatewars.com/Bomb_Loading/77-BT-B.jpg
View Quote
ID tags are a PITA.  I put them on my belt loop and tucked into my back pocket.  If you have chest hair it will get caught in the chain.  Not sure how the WW2 guys felt about them.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 8:08:49 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
example:
http://www.alternatewars.com/Bomb_Loading/77-BT-B.jpg
View Quote
Those might have been Manhattan Project civilians.
Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top