BCM
User Panel

Page / 44
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 6:11:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I had that class.

Then I went to Iraq...twice.  Same with Afghanistan.  

Theory met reality and reality wasn't like the books and powerpoints.  It smelled a lot worse too and justice wasn't what decided who lived and died.  

War sounds awesome when you are 25.  I thought it was the best thing...ever.  Looking back, it was pointless and full of needless human suffering that would not have happened if we had not been there.  It was not just for the literal truckloads of dead people that are still dead, no matter how much pretty paper we wrap our involvement in.  

War and just are not words that go together.  Not in reality.  Justice and truth are the first real casualties of war.
View Quote

Wait.   I don't want to be accused of putting words into your mouth.   So I'll ask you straight out:

Is a war of self defense morally justifiable?  Yes or no.

Because this potentially raises some other questions I'd like to ask you.
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 6:13:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

LOL, "Unjust" according to whom?  

We...as in the US Military...knowingly and intentionally firebombed entire cities full of civilians and we did it on purpose, multiple times.  

There is no morality in war.  None.  Morality is the illusion sold to simpletons who want a good vs evil feeling to justify the horrible things that are done as if it gives the deaths purpose and allows the people to not have to answer hard questions about how horrible their actions truly were.  

It is imbecilic to moralize war.  It has no morality.  It has winners and losers.  All else is just to feel better about doing what you did to win.
View Quote

You are totally wrong. We moralize war to restrain the worst of human brutality. You excuse it as if there are no international laws, but we call it war crimes and Nuremberg trials. There is no excuse for genocide and there must be consequences.
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 6:13:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

When the Azovs invade Belorus or something, it will mean something.

In the real world, Russia is trying to annex Ukraine right now.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

An expansionist dictator who hates us and has a history of screwing us expanding his industrial base by annexing his neighbors isn’t an American problem?

I respectfully disagree.

Ever look at Azov Movement’s political goals? They’re expansionist too.  They want an giant ethno-nationalist Intermarium state between the two seas that is free from Russian, Western European and US influence.  They want their own trade pact within that union too smd they are active recruiting supporters inside those nations, yo meet that end.  Even though it’s kinda Nazi, maybe it’ll work.

When the Azovs invade Belorus or something, it will mean something.

In the real world, Russia is trying to annex Ukraine right now.

Nothing in their site which was linked as a "gotcha" was anything more than wanting a consensual union of similar countries.  Just like the Nazis.  
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 6:17:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

You are totally wrong. We moralize war to restrain the worst of human brutality. You excuse it as if there are no international laws, but we call it war crimes and Nuremberg trials. There is no excuse for genocide and there must be consequences.
View Quote

The last part he says is what I'm particularly interested in.

"It is imbecilic to moralize war.  It has no morality.  It has winners and losers.  All else is just to feel better about doing what you did to win."

This part, especially the bolded and highlighted part" is what I'm curious about and will wait for a definitive answer before I ask my followup question.
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 6:21:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 6:25:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 6:25:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Since when is "not my issue, stay home and fix actual American problems first"...being a russian apologist.  

List one place where I said russia is good or right?  You can't.  

If you can't justify this war to a guy mowing grass for grocery money...you can't justify it...and you can't.  It doesn't improve his life one bit.  It doesn't improve his situation in life at all...it makes it worse.  That guy is an actual American and he should be the focus of American governmental aid and support...not a corrupt foreign power.  

If that's your definition of "pro russia"...you are simply wrong.  

View Quote

Saying we need to fix our problems first is like saying a person can't walk and chew bubblegum at the same time. You are half right. Putin can't justify this war, he committed violations of international law and laws against humanity. If he is not held accountable, he will keep doing it. You say it is not our problem but by saying so you empower him and defend him. You give him every reason to commit more genocide. You say we must fix our problems here but that is just a smokescreen. The only way a nation can be held responsible for its crimes is for other nations to stop it. Anything else is enabling their behavior.
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 6:29:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Saying we need to fix our problems first is like saying a person can't walk and chew bubblegum at the same time. You are half right. Putin can't justify this war, he committed violations of international law and laws against humanity. If he is not held accountable, he will keep doing it. You say it is not our problem but by saying so you empower him and defend him. You give him every reason to commit more genocide. You say we must fix our problems here but that is just a smokescreen. The only way a nation can be held responsible for its crimes is for other nations to stop it. Anything else is enabling their behavior.
View Quote
It doesn't matter if you give a flying flip about war crimes, genocide, Ukraine or old ladies in babushkas getting raped in the back of BTRs. The only operative question is whether bleeding Russia of military and political power benefits the United States strategically. Morality can have nothing to do with the calculus of what level of involvement by the US is justified.
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 6:30:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Interesting, so you give yourself a pass because you don't want to do jail time- even though it's important to you. But somehow me not risking my life means the Ukraine isn't important to me? Death is a bigger consequence than a felony, wouldn't you say?

You're going to have to show your work on that one bro, or maybe just admit it's a stupid argument. If I was advocating to send in US troops you might have a point, but I'm not, so you don't.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well I guess it's not that important to you then is it.

By "important" you mean I have to commit felony's in order to prove I think our federal immigration laws should be enforced? I think hunting illegal aliens on the southern border would be frowned upon by the Biden administration and his AG.

But you can certainly join the legion in Ukraine and "Fight the Russian bear" with no legal consequences. Since you haven't, I guess it's just not that important to you as your multiple posts and ranting might lead someone to believe.

Interesting, so you give yourself a pass because you don't want to do jail time- even though it's important to you. But somehow me not risking my life means the Ukraine isn't important to me? Death is a bigger consequence than a felony, wouldn't you say?

You're going to have to show your work on that one bro, or maybe just admit it's a stupid argument. If I was advocating to send in US troops you might have a point, but I'm not, so you don't.

I guess you missed the part where one is highly illegal{"hunting illegal aliens in America"} and the other {"Helping Ukraine kill the Russian bear"} Is a lawful action with a open invitation from Ukraine, and considered by YOU to be patriotic.

In short you should consider not demanding that everyone adopt your point of view, and calling  anyone who doesn't want our country involved in yet another cluster fuck endless war a "Russian sympathizer".

You sound like a little kid kicking and screaming on the floor of the store because mommy won't let you have the toy you want.
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 6:30:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

Does genocide mean anything to someone who thinks there's literally no moral component in war that he should care about?   And calls it imbecilic to make such distinctions?
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 6:37:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 6:37:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I guess you missed the part where one is highly illegal{"hunting illegal aliens in America"} and the other {"Helping Ukraine kill the Russian bear"} Is a lawful action with a open invitation from Ukraine, and considered by YOU to be patriotic.

In short you should consider not demanding that everyone adopt your point of view, and calling  anyone who doesn't want our country involved in yet another cluster fuck endless war a "Russian sympathizer".

You sound like a little kid kicking and screaming on the floor of the store because mommy won't let you have the toy you want.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

By "important" you mean I have to commit felony's in order to prove I think our federal immigration laws should be enforced? I think hunting illegal aliens on the southern border would be frowned upon by the Biden administration and his AG.

But you can certainly join the legion in Ukraine and "Fight the Russian bear" with no legal consequences. Since you haven't, I guess it's just not that important to you as your multiple posts and ranting might lead someone to believe.

I didn't miss it.  

I asked you quite simply why you won't risk jail for something you think is important but you expect me to risk death for something I think is important.

Honestly it doesn't matter, but it would be illegal for me join the festivities anyway. But thats beside the hypocritical argument you're making.

I don't even have to resort to ad hominems.

The point I'm making that's lost in you is basically what Cinc just said. You can support a thing without risking jail or death.
That fact is lost in your though.
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 6:41:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 6:42:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

If we decide to invade Canada, with the sole intent of murdering all the Canadians people with red hair and anyone named Brendan….

Canada’s decision to defend against this invasion is “neither” just nor “moral”?

View Quote

That was my question to him on the last page.  Or the crux of it, anyways.    I really don't think he's going to give a straight answer.
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 6:43:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Doing something about illegal aliens crossing our border must ONLY mean hunting and killing them.

Supporting Ukraine in their fight against Russia must ONLY mean going over there and grabbing a rifle.

My God, it’s TRUE!  Nuance IS dead.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Doing something about illegal aliens crossing our border must ONLY mean hunting and killing them.

Supporting Ukraine in their fight against Russia must ONLY mean going over there and grabbing a rifle.

Are you saying answering Ukraine's call to come fight for them to "kill the Russian bear" is not helping? Besides letters and voting how do YOU suggest a citizen get our federal government to enforce their laws?
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 6:43:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

It's insufficient for you to not be racist....you have to be actively anti-racist and attack people for not being anti-racist enough....

That's the entire Ukraine thread.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 6:44:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 6:45:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

That was my question to him on the last page.  Or the crux of it, anyways.    I really don't think he's going to give a straight answer.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If we decide to invade Canada, with the sole intent of murdering all the Canadians people with red hair and anyone named Brendan….

Canada’s decision to defend against this invasion is “neither” just nor “moral”?

He's got not answer because his logic is circular.

War is terrible and causes suffering.
Starting a war is neither just nor unjust.
Defending yourself against invasion is neither unjust nor just.
Somehow causing a war that brings suffering is not unjust.

Bonkers.
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 6:52:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
It's insufficient for you to not be racist....you have to be actively anti-racist and attack people for not being anti-racist enough....

That's the entire Ukraine thread.
View Quote

That's a great analogy....if you think that hurting someone's feelings and murdering innocent people are similar.

I would actually say that if a racist is actively killing innocent people because of their race, rather than a just cause such as self defense, and you have the ability to stop them but don't then you aren't a terribly moral person.
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 6:53:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

It’s because it’s bullshit.

Most people who look at the War in Ukraine and claim to not care which side “wins” or claim to not see which side is “right” are lying.

Why they lie is open to interpretation.
View Quote

And how exactly are you able to read peoples minds and know their intent?? I am not lying when I say I don't care about two corrupt country's fighting each other on the other side of the world anymore than I care when the Crips and the Bloods go at each other in their Hood.

Is that so hard for you to understand? No more endless wars that always end up worse than when we got involved. I understand that war makes lots of people rich, but as a US citizen I don't think we need to get into the shit yet again. It really is that simple.
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 6:55:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

And how exactly are you able to read peoples minds and know their intent?? I am not lying when I say I don't care about two corrupt country's fighting each other on the other side of the world anymore than I care when the Crips and the Bloods go at each other in their Hood.

Is that so hard for you to understand? No more endless wars that always end up worse than when we got involved. I understand that war makes lots of people rich, but as a US citizen I don't think we need to get into the shit yet again. It really is that simple.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Most people who look at the War in Ukraine and claim to not care which side “wins” or claim to not see which side is “right” are lying.

It's been explained multiple times why it's not that simple but you choose to ignore it.
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 6:57:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

The difference being I don't need to chew the bubblegum, I don't give a fuck about it,  and I'm tired of fucking paying for it.

Link Posted: 4/20/2022 6:57:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 7:01:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

It's been explained multiple times why it's not that simple but you choose to ignore it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Like in Vietnam, Afghanistan, Iran, Iraq and countless other bullshit our government has involved us in that drags on for decades? I think it's you that choose to ignore the obvious that history has documented so well.
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 7:02:55 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

You know we're talking about one nation that invaded another and is killing its civilian non-combatants, right?

Why do you keep bringing up that analogy?  It doesn't apply... nor is it even needed.  The situation isn't complicated enough to warrant an analogy.   There's no reason to make one.   Unless you're trying to rationalize what is actually happening into something that can be more easily hand-waved.
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 7:05:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Like I said, bullshit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Like I said, bullshit.

Then YOU donate YOUR money, children and body to YOUR cause and leave the people with common sense out of it.
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 7:05:50 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Bonkers.
View Quote

I was going to ask him if the same logic of "there's only winners and losers" and "moral justification is just rationalization" and "no such thing as a just war, even in self defense" applies to individual human interaction, too.
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 7:05:56 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

Or we've got a few examples of the logical fallacy of the false dichotomy.

Link Posted: 4/20/2022 7:06:27 PM EDT
[#29]
Can we at least agree that this thing needs to stop?

And maybe even that it would be better to make some concessions instead of escalating? On all sides?

I’d like one to be that we offer Ukrainians citizenship. We owe them that much for pushing this too far.

Also as one of the few not ganging up on Putin I am fully open to being a paid shill. I like PKMs, Tula SKSs and pretty much any AK that’s not an underfolder.

No vodka please. I think the Poles make a better one.
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 7:08:08 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

And maybe even that it would be better to make some concessions instead of escalating? On all sides?

I’d like one to be that we offer Ukrainians citizenship. We owe them that much for pushing this too far.

Also as one of the few not ganging up on Putin I am fully open to being a paid shill. I like PKMs, Tula SKSs and pretty much any AK that’s not an underfolder.

View Quote

This thing needs to stop.  And Putin can do that any time he chooses.
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 7:09:44 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Like in Vietnam, Afghanistan, Iran, Iraq and countless other bullshit our government has involved us in that drags on for decades? I think it's you that choose to ignore the obvious that history has documented so well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's not a real response to anything I've said, it's a false equivalence, a common logical fallacy.
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 7:10:19 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Then YOU donate YOUR money, children and body to YOUR cause and leave the people with common sense out of it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Like I said, bullshit.

You won't donate your body to your cause. Hypocrite.
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 7:10:34 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I was going to ask him if the same logic of "there's only winners and losers" and "moral justification is just rationalization" and "no such thing as a just war, even in self defense" applies to individual human interaction, too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bonkers.

Exactly
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 7:11:32 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

Poor Putin getting ganged up on :(
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 7:14:41 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

Doesn't make a bit of difference to me what they do over there. I don't give a damn if those two retard run countries butt fuck each other back to the stone age. Just leave us the hell alone and don't ask for my money.

Not my circus.

Link Posted: 4/20/2022 7:15:21 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 7:15:40 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not really. You DO personally have the option of taking Ukraine up on their offer, and helping them kill "The Russian bear".

You personally do not have the option to spend other peoples money or send off our governments weapons to a foreign country under your personal authority.
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 7:16:15 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

Having a Z avatar and setting your country as RU is certainly not ganging up on Putin.  
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 7:16:49 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

You know we're talking about one nation that invaded another and is killing its civilian non-combatants, right?

Why do you keep bringing up that analogy?  It doesn't apply... nor is it even needed.  The situation isn't complicated enough to warrant an analogy.   There's no reason to make one.   Unless you're trying to rationalize what is actually happening into something that can be more easily hand-waved.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We did that
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 7:17:21 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Doesn't make a bit of difference to me what they do over there. I don't give a damn if those two retard run countries butt fuck each other back to the stone age. Just leave us the hell alone and don't ask for my money.

Not my circus.

https://y.yarn.co/77ee02ab-7f5c-4bf3-8276-56a8002002d3_text.gif
View Quote

You're right.  We've lived too well off of having a stable world with strong international trade.
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 7:18:19 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

That's not a real response to anything I've said, it's a false equivalence, a common logical fallacy.
View Quote

No, they are real world examples of what happens every time in recent history when our government gets involved with a war. I know reality and history don't align with your calls for war, but reality and history really don't care what you think.
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 7:18:31 PM EDT
[#42]
If we were smart, we'd annex Taiwan first?
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 7:19:49 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Informed people often side with the country that was invaded with zero justification and is currently threatened with destruction of their entire identity, which also not advocating for American boots on the ground.
View Quote

The U.S. corrupted Ukraine and set-up Ukraine up for invasion.
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 7:20:53 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Like I said, bullshit.

I'm not the one calling to "Kill the Russian bear" or your a Russian sympathizer...

Link Posted: 4/20/2022 7:21:19 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

You're right.  We've lived too well off of having a stable world with strong international trade.
View Quote

The ol globalism is good for us argument.

I'm sure that us jumping into another war will really help stability and international trade!

Link Posted: 4/20/2022 7:21:31 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
It doesn't matter if you give a flying flip about war crimes, genocide, Ukraine or old ladies in babushkas getting raped in the back of BTRs. The only operative question is whether bleeding Russia of military and political power benefits the United States strategically. Morality can have nothing to do with the calculus of what level of involvement by the US is justified.
View Quote

That is balderdash. Why do you think the Nuremberg trials were held? It was all about war crimes and justice under International law. Sure there are always other justifications. Wars are always more complex than they appear in the beginning. Risk of war is also a calculation of risk. Still, we do things like airlifting thousands of Ethiopian Jews from Sudan in 1985. There was risk and it was kept secret until it was done to minimize that risk.

It is easy to be flippant with the lives of people we don't know. It is so much easier to "Not care" than to act human and stick your neck out to do right. Are Russian cold indifference to humanity and the lives of others any different than our cold indifference if we are unwilling to protect them? I'm far more conservative than some who call themselves conservative but there is nothing conservative about throwing oppressed people under the bus and then gloating how pure we are. That is the worst lie of all.
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 7:21:48 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Not my circus.

https://y.yarn.co/77ee02ab-7f5c-4bf3-8276-56a8002002d3_text.gif
View Quote

Except you do care, or you wouldn’t be posting in this thread at all.

Virtue signaling how much you don’t care by repeatedly going into threads to talk about how much you don’t care has become trendy among folks of a certain mindset here…
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 7:22:32 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I'm sure that us jumping into another war will really help stability and international trade!

https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/001/124/446/29c.gif
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/001/124/446/29c.gif

Global trade is good.

Globalhomo as a one world government is unrelated.
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 7:22:37 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

LOL no.
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 7:23:40 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Informed people often side with the country that was invaded with zero justification and is currently threatened with destruction of their entire identity, which also not advocating for American boots on the ground.

Hahaha

Really?

You-serious-Clark.jpg

Wow
Page / 44
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top