User Panel

Page / 27
Link Posted: 1/4/2022 1:33:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Chokey:
View Quote

FUCK. YES.

I’m honestly shocked at how smoothly this has all gone so far. If they get to full completion without any anomalies then every single delay and increase of cost will have been worth it
Link Posted: 1/4/2022 1:38:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Rudukai13:

FUCK. YES.

I’m honestly shocked at how smoothly this has all gone so far. If they get to full completion without any anomalies then every single delay and increase of cost will have been worth it
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

FUCK. YES.

yeah at this point, the other stuff should work
Link Posted: 1/4/2022 1:40:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/4/2022 1:46:04 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm most excited about the ability to determine atmospheric composition of exoplanets.
Link Posted: 1/4/2022 1:46:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/4/2022 1:48:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/4/2022 2:16:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By midcap:
next step
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLZ0D1Bb96A
View Quote

this is THE step, no secondary mirror no telescope
Link Posted: 1/4/2022 2:25:41 PM EDT
[#8]

that would be awesome to see all those stars at night.

You can get some good skies when you go offshore fishing at night in the GOM as long as you are away from the oil rigs
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By DK-Prof:
Originally Posted By SecretSquirell:
Originally Posted By slanted:
People are trying to understand a non-localized non-propagating event (BB) by comparing it to a localized propagating event (our sun). The difference was actually explained fairly well in the most recent The Expanse novels:

Stars, like our sun, emit energy locally in our universe and that energy propagates outward from that single point. Imagine dropping a pebble into a pool - it creates a ripple, and that ripple moves outward in all directions away from that localized point. This is a localized, propagating event. This is how light and gravity work in our universe.

The creation of the universe (Big Bang) was a non-local, non-propagating event. Picture the pool that you previously dropped a pebble into, except now instead of a pebble you drop a sheet of glass the same size as the surface of the pool. Every point on the surface of the pool is affected all at the same time. This is what's meant by a non-local, non-propagating event.

You can't see the sheet of glass striking the surface where you are right now because it happened in the past, but if you look far enough to the light that originated on the other side of the pool you should still be able to see the surface disruption just after the event occurred. That's what they're trying to do with JWST

I get it, instead of watching a jar of tannerite explode, we are in the jar

A jar 13 billion light years across.  That lit off all at once.

Really want to screw with your brain? The observable universe is ~93 billion light-years in diameter.

then you really really want to mess with your brain...what is on the outside of that?

Yeah Universe is fucking crazy man

The other night it was clear...like really clear...I cupped my hands over my eyes and I was able to see the faint stars in the back ground.

It was heavy man

Lots of people have no idea what "clear" means until they have been in places with very little light pollution on a clear and moon-less night.  I remember being in the Coral Sea, and on a remote island off the coast of Fiji - the sheer volume of stars you could see is amazing.  

Even Kauai and the Big Island are amazing (there's a reason all those observatories were built on Mauna Kea).  My wife and I are planning the design of the house we are going to build on the Big Island, and we're talking about some kind of deck/platform on the top of the house, purely for star-gazing.  I think I might pick up astrophotography as a hobby when I retire.  

that would be awesome to see all those stars at night.

You can get some good skies when you go offshore fishing at night in the GOM as long as you are away from the oil rigs

Try West Texas sometime. Driving out I-10 at night is a trip.
Link Posted: 1/4/2022 2:29:14 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm not incredibly familiar with the history of cosmology.

How long have we been saying that the Universe began with the Big Bang, and that it's 13.8 Billion years old? And when did that theory arise?
Link Posted: 1/4/2022 2:40:49 PM EDT
[#10]

Oh yeah, I bet that is REALLY nice.  It's really cool when you can just CLEARLY see the entire Milky Way across the sky, and you realize the "haze" of the disc is hundreds of billions of stars, and that lots of the "stars" you see in the sky are actually individual galaxies as well, each with their own hundreds of billions of stars.  

Mind-blowing and awesome.
View All Quotes

Oh yeah, I bet that is REALLY nice.  It's really cool when you can just CLEARLY see the entire Milky Way across the sky, and you realize the "haze" of the disc is hundreds of billions of stars, and that lots of the "stars" you see in the sky are actually individual galaxies as well, each with their own hundreds of billions of stars.  

The East half of the USA kind of sucks when it comes to light pollution.
Where I live in AZ, it's much easier to find spots with excellent skies for imaging with my telescope.
https://www.lightpollutionmap.info/#zoom=3.75&lat=40.6097&lon=-90.3490&layers=B0FFFFFFFTFFFFFFFFFF

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/4/2022 2:44:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By TacticalGarand44:

How long have we been saying that the Universe began with the Big Bang, and that it's 13.8 Billion years old? And when did that theory arise?
View Quote

https://spaceplace.nasa.gov/big-bang/en/
Link Posted: 1/4/2022 2:44:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By AZ_Sky:
Where I live in AZ, it's much easier to find spots with excellent skies for imaging with my telescope.
https://www.lightpollutionmap.info/#zoom=3.75&lat=40.6097&lon=-90.3490&layers=B0FFFFFFFTFFFFFFFFFF

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/20962/LPUSA_JPG-2228259.JPG
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AZ_Sky:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/20962/LPUSA_JPG-2228259.JPG

That huge flare in ND makes me sad. The Bakken oil fields. Makes a place with extremely low population glow like New York City.
Link Posted: 1/4/2022 2:47:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By johnh57:

View All Quotes

So Hubble determined that more distant galaxies were red shifted more. How did he know they were more distant? Parallax only works on very short distance scales, relatively speaking. On the order of tens of thousands of light years.
Link Posted: 1/4/2022 3:17:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/4/2022 3:53:22 PM EDT
[#15]

View All Quotes

yeah man....I think people need to see that stuff more often. It really puts you into perspective.
Link Posted: 1/4/2022 3:54:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By snakes19:

View All Quotes
next step
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLZ0D1Bb96A

yeah no lie...
Link Posted: 1/4/2022 4:13:15 PM EDT
[#17]

So Hubble determined that more distant galaxies were red shifted more. How did he know they were more distant? Parallax only works on very short distance scales, relatively speaking. On the order of tens of thousands of light years.
View All Quotes

He used the period-luminosity relationship for Cepheid variables from the work of Henrietta Swan Leavitt. Her work laid the foundation for Hubble, and he said as much.

Link Posted: 1/4/2022 4:20:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By exDefensorMilitas:

He used the period-luminosity relationship for Cepheid variables from the work of Henrietta Swan Leavitt. Her work laid the foundation for Hubble, and he said as much.

View All Quotes

I remember Cepheid variables from my study, but not their relevance to cosmology. Any good reading to recommend?
Link Posted: 1/4/2022 4:26:33 PM EDT
[#19]

yeah man....I think people need to see that stuff more often. It really puts you into perspective.
View All Quotes

After the blackouts from the 1994 Northridge earthquake a bunch of people called 911 about the strange clouds in the sky.  It was the Milky Way, which none of them had ever seen before.

Those years of delay on launching JWST are worth it if everything works.  There's a reason they re-engineered things after test failures.
Link Posted: 1/4/2022 4:39:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AZ_Sky] [#20]

I remember Cepheid variables from my study, but not their relevance to cosmology. Any good reading to recommend?
View Quote

Now you have me going down the Cepheid distance measuring 'rabbit hole', as I was unaware of how all that actually worked.
I tripped over this short piece on the web and now I have a very simplistic understanding of how Cepheid brightness in conjunction with parallax measurements works (sort of).
Fascinating stuff!!!
https://earthsky.org/brightest-stars/delta-cephei-the-kings-famous-variable-star/

https://www.atnf.csiro.au/outreach/education/senior/astrophysics/variable_cepheids.html
Link Posted: 1/4/2022 9:21:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/4/2022 9:40:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 1/4/2022 9:52:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 1/4/2022 11:41:33 PM EDT
[#24]

Hell yeah. How do we tell LEGO to make it yesterday?
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 12:32:28 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By WI_Bill:
9.7 billion and what will be the return, other than curiosity?
View Quote
Answering fundamental question about the Universe that could lead us off this backwater mudball and out to the star where $179,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000.34 is waiting to be exploited. In just our local volume.

You know... other than that... cool desktop wall paper.
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 1:08:04 AM EDT
[#26]
As a kid I spent a few years at GITMO.  Not much light pollution then and the Cubans had even fewer lights.  There was basically no TV so the main thing to do was go to the movies.  All the theaters were outdoors and we were lucky to have one down the street.

I’d usually spend the time staring at the stars.  So many and from horizon to horizon it seemed.  My father would point out passing satellites on occasion.

Really haven’t seen anything like it since.  I can understand the ancients fascination with astronomy.  It was the best show in town!
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 4:20:31 AM EDT
[#27]

I expect to wake up to some good news
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 4:25:52 AM EDT
[#28]

I expect to wake up to some good news
View Quote
I sure hope so. I am seriously excited for this Telescope. Space exploration is fascinating.
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 12:14:42 PM EDT
[#29]

Currently in progress
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 12:42:55 PM EDT
[#30]

The other night it was clear...like really clear...I cupped my hands over my eyes and I was able to see the faint stars in the back ground.

It was heavy man
View Quote

You need a PVS-14.
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 12:54:21 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 1:05:20 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By flcroc:

You need a PVS-14.
View Quote

I've used mine to look at stars.  It works so well making dim stars bright that the image is overwhelming useless.  
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 2:25:27 PM EDT
[#33]
View All Quotes

FUCK YEAH

Webb's secondary mirror is fully deployed. Webb's secondary mirror had to deploy in microgravity, and in extremely cold temperatures, and it ultimately had to work the first time without error. It also had to deploy, position, and lock itself into place to a tolerance of about one and a half millimeters, and then it has to stay extremely stable while the telescope points to different places in the sky – and that’s all for a secondary mirror support structure that is over 7 meters in length. Webb's secondary mirror is at the end of the Secondary Mirror Support Structure (SMSS). The secondary mirror plays an important role in reflecting the light from the primary mirror to where the instruments sit, behind the primary mirror.

I’m pretty sure that means that, even if every other deployment beyond this point fails, JWST is now a functional observatory!
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 2:35:21 PM EDT
[#34]
As with anything else not across the finish line, I don't want to jinx shit by sighing any kind of relief .  I'm happy everything has worked well so far.
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 2:37:23 PM EDT
[#35]

FUCK YEAH

https://webb.nasa.gov/content/webbLaunch/assets/images/deployment/1000pxWide/117.png

I’m pretty sure that means that, even if every other deployment beyond this point fails, JWST is now a functional observatory!
View All Quotes

FUCK YEAH

https://webb.nasa.gov/content/webbLaunch/assets/images/deployment/1000pxWide/117.png

Webb's secondary mirror is fully deployed. Webb's secondary mirror had to deploy in microgravity, and in extremely cold temperatures, and it ultimately had to work the first time without error. It also had to deploy, position, and lock itself into place to a tolerance of about one and a half millimeters, and then it has to stay extremely stable while the telescope points to different places in the sky – and that’s all for a secondary mirror support structure that is over 7 meters in length. Webb's secondary mirror is at the end of the Secondary Mirror Support Structure (SMSS). The secondary mirror plays an important role in reflecting the light from the primary mirror to where the instruments sit, behind the primary mirror.

As long as the main mirror panels can adequately align without the side wings(no idea if those have to deploy to allow alignment i.e it's all tied together, all or nothing), theoretically JWST would be functional although diminished in light gathering capability.
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 2:40:56 PM EDT
[#36]

As long as the main mirror panels can adequately align without the side wings(no idea if those have to deploy to allow alignment i.e it's all tied together, all or nothing), theoretically JWST would be functional although diminished in light gathering capability.
View All Quotes

FUCK YEAH

it was designed to work if the side panels did not deploy correctly, obviously not as well as with them deployed but it would still be the best telescope out there without them
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 2:51:23 PM EDT
[#37]

it was designed to work if the side panels did not deploy correctly, obviously not as well as with them deployed but it would still be the best telescope out there without them
View All Quotes

FUCK YEAH

Ok. I figured it was as that would be an obvious contingency. Just hadn't done any digging to confirm that.
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 2:52:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ArGyLe64] [#38]
When will it reach it's lagrange point? Or is it there already? I thought it was going to take some time to get out to L2.
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 2:59:42 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By ArGyLe64:
When will it reach it's lagrange point? Or is it there already? I thought it was going to take some time to get out to L2.
View Quote

https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbLaunch/whereIsWebb.html
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 3:02:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Zephri] [#40]
I must be the only one who was disappointed when I saw the milky way, I thought it was clouds or just the usual smoke from wild fires states away. Friend said that's the milky way and I said that's it, lame.

That being said I can't wait to see the pictures from this telescope.
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 3:06:15 PM EDT
[#41]
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By usptac:

It's 2/3 of the way there, but it's only moving about as fast as a .45-70 now.  Still some 18 days to go to get out to its l2 orbit.
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 3:17:26 PM EDT
[#42]
According to their nominal deployment sequence, the only steps remaining are deployment of the aft radiator and the primary mirror wings:

James Webb Space Telescope Deployment Sequence (Nominal)

They’ll also have to focus the primary mirrors, but I think that’s considerably less nerve wracking than the other deployments. Then it’s just a matter of time, distance, and cooling
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 4:06:14 PM EDT
[#43]
Awesome thread guys. It now has it’s own tab on my screen!
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 4:19:03 PM EDT
[#44]

It's 2/3 of the way there, but it's only moving about as fast as a .45-70 now.  Still some 18 days to go to get out to its l2 orbit.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By usptac:

The further it goes, the slower (relative to Earth) it gets. It should be pretty close to zero speed (relative to Earth) when it gets to L2.
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 4:32:05 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By redoubt:

The further it goes, the slower (relative to Earth) it gets. It should be pretty close to zero speed (relative to Earth) when it gets to L2.
View Quote

Yes, true. But It will never actually be at L2.  

It's orbit around l2 is actually fairly large - roughly equivalent to the moons orbit around earth.
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 4:32:19 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 7:58:24 PM EDT
[#47]
I really dislike the where is Webb graphic.  It's layed out like a map, but it's a timeline not a map.  It's basically 1/2 way distance wise to l2, but it's mapped at less than 1/4 of the way there.
View Quote

Little late in replying here, but there are buttons to toggle the display between time and distance. They're located just under the "line" on the far right.

Link Posted: 1/5/2022 8:13:16 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By wheel:

Little late in replying here, but there are buttons to toggle the display between time and distance. They're located just under the "line" on the far right.

View Quote

Yeah, those showed up a day or so after my post. All better now.
Link Posted: 1/6/2022 1:10:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: midcap] [#49]
hells yeah!

So tomorrow they are going to extend the aft instrument radiator?
Link Posted: 1/6/2022 1:51:26 AM EDT
[#50]

Lots of people have no idea what "clear" means until they have been in places with very little light pollution on a clear and moon-less night.  I remember being in the Coral Sea, and on a remote island off the coast of Fiji - the sheer volume of stars you could see is amazing.  

Even Kauai and the Big Island are amazing (there's a reason all those observatories were built on Mauna Kea).  My wife and I are planning the design of the house we are going to build on the Big Island, and we're talking about some kind of deck/platform on the top of the house, purely for star-gazing.  I think I might pick up astrophotography as a hobby when I retire.  
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SecretSquirell:
Originally Posted By slanted:
People are trying to understand a non-localized non-propagating event (BB) by comparing it to a localized propagating event (our sun). The difference was actually explained fairly well in the most recent The Expanse novels:

Stars, like our sun, emit energy locally in our universe and that energy propagates outward from that single point. Imagine dropping a pebble into a pool - it creates a ripple, and that ripple moves outward in all directions away from that localized point. This is a localized, propagating event. This is how light and gravity work in our universe.

The creation of the universe (Big Bang) was a non-local, non-propagating event. Picture the pool that you previously dropped a pebble into, except now instead of a pebble you drop a sheet of glass the same size as the surface of the pool. Every point on the surface of the pool is affected all at the same time. This is what’s meant by a non-local, non-propagating event.

You can’t see the sheet of glass striking the surface where you are right now because it happened in the past, but if you look far enough to the light that originated on the other side of the pool you should still be able to see the surface disruption just after the event occurred. That’s what they’re trying to do with JWST

I get it, instead of watching a jar of tannerite explode, we are in the jar

A jar 13 billion light years across.  That lit off all at once.

Really want to screw with your brain? The observable universe is ~93 billion light-years in diameter.

then you really really want to mess with your brain...what is on the outside of that?

Yeah Universe is fucking crazy man

It was heavy man

The stars under NODS at CWW at White Hills, with the Vegas lights off, made me want to find peyote .
Page / 27
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top