Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 27
Link Posted: 1/6/2022 1:21:53 PM EDT
[#1]

Aft radiator deployed! That should mean all that’s left is the primary mirror wings, unless there’s something else they didn’t include in their public nominal deployment sequence
Link Posted: 1/6/2022 2:14:33 PM EDT
[#2]
I wonder what it will see when pointed at proxima centaury
Link Posted: 1/6/2022 2:26:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Rudukai13:
https://webb.nasa.gov/content/webbLaunch/assets/images/deployment/1000pxWide/118.png

Aft radiator deployed! That should mean all that’s left is the primary mirror wings, unless there’s something else they didn’t include in their public nominal deployment sequence
View Quote

hells yeah!
Link Posted: 1/6/2022 3:26:35 PM EDT
[#4]
I’m starting to get nervous!

What if we see something we’re not supposed to be seeing?
Link Posted: 1/6/2022 3:27:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/6/2022 3:30:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Hesperus] [#6]
Originally Posted By slanted:

View Quote

Like what? Evidence of alien life that is thousands of light years away?

If something like that causes you to go insane and start randomly punching people in the face then there are some issues that you should probably deal with before something activates you.

Never mind the fact that NASA has control over the data pouring out of this observatory. If they see a fleet of alien warships heading this way the military will probably get that information long before we do.
Link Posted: 1/6/2022 3:39:53 PM EDT
[#7]

View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/6/2022 4:31:28 PM EDT
[#8]

View Quote

Honestly I hope it does
Link Posted: 1/6/2022 4:42:36 PM EDT
[#9]

View Quote

I doubt they will let the public have any unrestricted view of the images.  
Unless someone is smart enough to pull in the image signal and probably unscramble it, we’ll get to see what they want us to see and nothing more
Link Posted: 1/6/2022 4:48:53 PM EDT
[#10]
https://webb.nasa.gov/content/webbLaunch/assets/images/deployment/1000pxWide/118.png

Aft radiator deployed! That should mean all that's left is the primary mirror wings, unless there's something else they didn't include in their public nominal deployment sequence
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/6/2022 4:57:44 PM EDT
[#11]

Just for the record, that might be the coolest image of Marvin the Martian I've ever seen.
Link Posted: 1/6/2022 5:12:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/6/2022 5:42:35 PM EDT
[#13]

View Quote

I would love nothing more than for Elon Musk to launch a satellite with a big banner that says "TRUMP WON" and fly it right in front of the JWST primary mirror.  Is there still time for that?
Link Posted: 1/6/2022 6:29:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By AJE:

What would really need to be hidden?  
View Quote

They might see the pixels of the simulation
Link Posted: 1/6/2022 6:32:04 PM EDT
[#15]

Their reasoning makes sense, honestly
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 11:23:42 AM EDT
[#16]
Deploying port side primary mirror today.  Read it takes a few minutes to swing the 3 mirror assembly into place and a couple hours to latch it all in place.  Starboard side mirror tomorrow and that's it for major deployments.
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 11:37:30 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By johnh57:
Deploying port side primary mirror today.  Read it takes a few minutes to swing the 3 mirror assembly into place and a couple hours to latch it all in place.  Starboard side mirror tomorrow and that's it for major deployments.
View Quote

yass!
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 11:57:54 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 12:00:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Not reading all 13 pages.
Too ignorant to google it.

What's this thing supposed to do?  Does it take images we can view, or is it some sort of thermal thing where we can't really 'see' what it's looking at?
What's its objective?
How far from earth is it?
Is it moving farther away from us, or stationary somehow?

Link Posted: 1/7/2022 12:03:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: midcap] [#20]
Originally Posted By JamiesGotAGun:
Not reading all 13 pages.
Too ignorant to google it.

What's this thing supposed to do?  Does it take images we can view, or is it some sort of thermal thing where we can't really 'see' what it's looking at?
What's its objective?
How far from earth is it?
Is it moving farther away from us, or stationary somehow?

View Quote

basically it's going to see things outside the visible spectrum, mostly Infared, which is heat, so that's why it has to be super cold on the sensors side
its objective is to see further into the begining of the universe and find aliens
L2 orbit is about 1,000,000 miles away
its moving away right now but will be stationary in orbit and tidal locked with the earth using the earth as a shield from the sun.

Animation: The James Webb Space Telescope's Orbit
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 12:23:17 PM EDT
[#21]

The deployments team begins planning and operations for the deployment of the left/port (+V2) primary mirror wing from its stowed/launch position into its operational position. This operation deploys and latches the +V2 wing of the primary mirror. Each wing holds three of the 18 mirror segments. This is a motor-driven deployment.
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 3:01:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By midcap:

at least she is into parts of science. Mine couldn't tell you what the 4 basic states of matter are
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/7/2022 3:04:34 PM EDT
[#23]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Admiral_Crunch:

at least she is into parts of science. Mine couldn't tell you what the 4 basic states of matter are

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/6688/233FDA6C-A38E-45EC-988C-00638BA9A5E1-2203636.jpg

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 3:09:25 PM EDT
[#24]
At this point it is a telescope even if the side wings don't deploy. It seems they pulled it off.
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 3:30:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 3:31:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 3:32:30 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Chokey:
View Quote

One more step before a completely flawless deployment. I honestly can’t believe it’s gone this smoothly so far
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 3:37:57 PM EDT
[#28]
That should mean nothing else happening until tomorrow morning. I wonder why they’re putting so much time between the two steps? It would seem unnecessary to me
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 3:40:48 PM EDT
[#29]
That should mean nothing else happening until tomorrow morning. I wonder why they’re putting so much time between the two steps? It would seem unnecessary to me
View Quote

I'd imagine there is alot going on behind the scenes that we cant even fathom. Besides, it's not like they can return it home now if theres an issue. Even if they dont deploy the other mirrors until L2 insertion, the end result is the same.  
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 3:55:57 PM EDT
[#30]
View Quote

I suppose several reasons.

Time to study data and make sure all is well.

Time for the team to take a break get some mental time off and do it again tomorrow.  I would presume its the same group of people working the mirror deployments.

There is no hurry.  It's still a couple weeks from reaching orbit.

They can't really do any focusing or alignment anyway.  The mirrors are not yet cooled to operating temps.  I think they have heaters strips to prevent them from cooling too fast and possibly distorting.
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 3:57:41 PM EDT
[#31]

basically it's going to see things outside the visible spectrum, mostly Infared, which is heat, so that's why it has to be super cold on the sensors side
its objective is to see further into the begining of the universe and find aliens
L2 orbit is about 1,000,000 miles away
its moving away right now but will be stationary in orbit and tidal locked with the earth using the earth as a shield from the sun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cUe4oMk69E
View Quote
Interesting.  Thank you.
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 4:01:19 PM EDT
[#32]
All good points. I’m just impatient
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 4:04:15 PM EDT
[#33]
When will this thing come back to Earth and be sentient, and call itself "JEBB".
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 5:34:01 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By RinsableTick:
When will this thing come back to Earth and be sentient, and call itself "JEBB".
View Quote

In time for 2024
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 5:35:55 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By RinsableTick:
View Quote

To save the world all it will need is for everyone to clap.
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 5:36:16 PM EDT
[#36]
Somebody please make a JEB!/JWST meme
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 5:52:52 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Chokey:
View Quote

hells to the yeah!
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 5:54:08 PM EDT
[#38]
Somebody please make a JEB!/JWST meme
View Quote

They really should have renamed the telescope ¡Jeb!
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 10:51:26 PM EDT
[#39]
Hard to tell the size of the thing from the renderings, the heat shield is 70' long almost 50' wide and roughly 6' from the first layer to the top layer.

Saw one of the videos where they were trying to relate its sensitivity in terms you can understand.  They said if you took one of those old 5 watt Christmas tree bulbs and put it on the moon and then tried to find that tiny dot of light from earth, you'd be close.  That 5 watt bulb would be about 20 times brighter than what the telescope is looking for.
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 11:28:19 PM EDT
[#40]
Hard to tell the size of the thing from the renderings, the heat shield is 70' long almost 50' wide and roughly 6' from the first layer to the top layer.

Saw one of the videos where they were trying to relate its sensitivity in terms you can understand.  They said if you took one of those old 5 watt Christmas tree bulbs and put it on the moon and then tried to find that tiny dot of light from earth, you'd be close.  That 5 watt bulb would be about 20 times brighter than what the telescope is looking for.
View Quote

The best size description I heard was it's the size of a tennis court with a double-decker bus on top of it. They said the resolution of the telescope is such that it could read the date on a penny from 20 miles away.
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 11:31:37 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By SecretSquirell:

The best size description I heard was it's the size of a tennis court with a double-decker bus on top of it. They said the resolution of the telescope is such that it could read the date on a penny from 20 miles away.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SecretSquirell:

Correct on both counts

The Insane Engineering of James Webb Telescope
Link Posted: 1/8/2022 10:51:54 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By JQ66:

Unless someone is smart enough to pull in the image signal and probably unscramble it, we’ll get to see what they want us to see and nothing more
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By JQ66:

I don't understand why you think like this. If senior government officials were worried about what this thing would find, and how the public would react to it, they just wouldn't send it up there. That's how they do things: with a blunt object, not with surgical precision.
Link Posted: 1/8/2022 10:55:48 AM EDT
[#43]
Starboard Primary Mirror Wing Deployment Begins

NASA Live: Official Stream of NASA TV
Link Posted: 1/8/2022 11:01:36 AM EDT
[#44]
I hope the time JWST runs out of fuel in a decade or so, we'll have a refueling system we can send out there. The Hubble is 30 years old and still doing good science.
Link Posted: 1/8/2022 11:09:16 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By ArmyInfantryVet:
I hope the time JWST runs out of fuel in a decade or so, we'll have a refueling system we can send out there. The Hubble is 30 years old and still doing good science.
View Quote
The insertion burn went way better than planned, and JWST has far more fuel than expected, allowing it to stay alive way beyond the 10 year mission design. I haven't seen a # yet, but its going to greatly exceed mission parameters.
Link Posted: 1/8/2022 11:10:55 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 1/8/2022 11:13:14 AM EDT
[#47]
I imagine someone, somewhere is already working on a refueling apparatus. Mount that sucker on top of a Starship SHB, it should be flying reliably in a decade or so.

I would wonder though, what would they grab onto to facilitate the refueling? One of the tripod arms? Webb apparently doesn't have any onboard docking apparatus. Obviously you don't want a robotic arm clamping onto the mirror or the delicate heat shield.
Link Posted: 1/8/2022 11:15:26 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By SpaceGuy:
The insertion burn went way better than planned, and JWST has far more fuel than expected, allowing it to stay alive way beyond the 10 year mission design. I haven't seen a # yet, but its going to greatly exceed mission parameters.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SpaceGuy:
Originally Posted By ArmyInfantryVet:

That is great news. But we should still try to refuel it when it runs out.
Link Posted: 1/8/2022 11:16:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: johnspark] [#49]
Go to execute final move....

edit...there was a pause...now continuing...

I keep getting interrupted and lost where they were. Looks like all that was a test....The mirror movement is upcoming.
Link Posted: 1/8/2022 11:17:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: cmxterra] [#50]
Someone else might have already commented on this... but have you noticed almost all the commenters on the NASA feed are all wemnz. Same with the controllers. (at least the ones speaking)
Page / 27
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top