User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 27
Link Posted: 12/25/2021 8:50:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Array is power positive!
Link Posted: 12/25/2021 8:54:21 AM EDT
[#2]
And with Webb's separation,  Arianspace's contract is complete! There is no longer the danger of a million pounds of explosive propellant  ruining the mission. Now,  it's all on the spacecraft.
Link Posted: 12/25/2021 8:57:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Spider-Man (2002) - Go Web, Fly, Up Up and Away Web, SHAZAM

Link Posted: 12/25/2021 8:57:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Go, Webb!
Link Posted: 12/25/2021 8:58:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/25/2021 9:01:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Great thing to wake up to!! Congrats to the team for a successful launch!

Now to see the real magic of the shield unfolding...
Link Posted: 12/25/2021 9:02:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Director of NASA is a fossil
Link Posted: 12/25/2021 9:03:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By somaliskinnypirate:
View Quote

Ballast Bill Nelson
Link Posted: 12/25/2021 9:03:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Nice!

Never had any doubt.

Link Posted: 12/25/2021 9:07:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the play by play guys, I'm stoked!!

Link Posted: 12/25/2021 9:09:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Now that the easy part is done let's see them unfold that thing.

That was cool to watch. It was impressive how fast it left the pad. When the solids lit it was GONE!
Link Posted: 12/25/2021 9:21:13 AM EDT
[#12]
James Webb Space Telescope Deployment Sequence (Nominal)

Its size mandates 344 folds to fit in Ariane 5–folds that must be reversed one at a time after reaching space.

Of those 344 unfolds, 307 (87%) are critical, single-point failure areas–meaning that should one of those critical unfolds fail, be it with the sunshield deployment or primary/second mirror deployment, the mission will be over before it really begins. Of these 307 critical single-point failure areas, 225 (65%) are in the sunshield.

Of the 344 unfolds, 178 (52%) are NEA (non-explosive actuator) release mechanisms. The sunshield contains 120 of these NEA release mechanisms, 107 of which are MRDs (membrane release devices), 9 are pin pullers, and 4 are for cable brake assays.

The unfolding process, planned in 15-minute increments by the team, started soon after JWST is deployed from the top of the Ariane 5’s ECS-D upper stage and will proceed for roughly 30 days.

Project scientists and engineers have been hesitant to release the full timeline in advance, as many of these operations have never been performed in space before, and slips and realignments are almost certain to occur.

If the 30-day unfolding process works as planned, JWST will then need approximately five more months for the sunshield and cryocooler to properly cool the observatory down before final instrument calibrations can take place–though some calibrations will be possible beforehand as well.
Link Posted: 12/25/2021 9:24:03 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Chokey:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzGLKQ7_KZQ

Its size mandates 344 folds to fit in Ariane 5–folds that must be reversed one at a time after reaching space.

Of those 344 unfolds, 307 (87%) are critical, single-point failure areas–meaning that should one of those critical unfolds fail, be it with the sunshield deployment or primary/second mirror deployment, the mission will be over before it really begins. Of these 307 critical single-point failure areas, 225 (65%) are in the sunshield.

Of the 344 unfolds, 178 (52%) are NEA (non-explosive actuator) release mechanisms. The sunshield contains 120 of these NEA release mechanisms, 107 of which are MRDs (membrane release devices), 9 are pin pullers, and 4 are for cable brake assays.

The unfolding process, planned in 15-minute increments by the team, started soon after JWST is deployed from the top of the Ariane 5’s ECS-D upper stage and will proceed for roughly 30 days.

Project scientists and engineers have been hesitant to release the full timeline in advance, as many of these operations have never been performed in space before, and slips and realignments are almost certain to occur.

If the 30-day unfolding process works as planned, JWST will then need approximately five more months for the sunshield and cryocooler to properly cool the observatory down before final instrument calibrations can take place–though some calibrations will be possible beforehand as well.
View Quote

I'd love to see how this unfolds.
Link Posted: 12/25/2021 9:30:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: CJan_NH] [#14]
Originally Posted By Mech2007:
Main stage shutdown and separation confirmed.

View Quote

@Mech2007

I know there is equipment that you have touched (and built) currently on the surface of Mars.

Are you involved with this project, either directly or indirectly?

On a side note, I realize this is the *James Webb* telescope. But my inner teenager can't help but rename it to the *James Motherfucking Woods* telescope.

REVEAL YOUR SECRETS ... PUSSY!
Link Posted: 12/25/2021 10:11:31 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 12/25/2021 10:15:48 AM EDT
[#16]
View Quote

He obviously had a mother that did NOT care about saving paper and bows.
Link Posted: 12/25/2021 10:51:56 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By CJan_NH:

@Mech2007

I know there is equipment that you have touched (and built) currently on the surface of Mars.

Are you involved with this project, either directly or indirectly?

On a side note, I realize this is the *James Webb* telescope. But my inner teenager can't help but rename it to the *James Motherfucking Woods* telescope.

REVEAL YOUR SECRETS ... PUSSY!
View Quote

@CJan_NH

My only involvement with Webb, and it's about as indirect as it gets, is that during a trip to Goddard I got to go inside the building where it was being assembled and watch them work on it for a while. As far as I know, none of my actual hardware is a part of it.

(I say "as far as I know" because a lot of my hardware went into "black" programs. I was told very early on in my space career that "there was no such thing as a single purpose satellite." For example, early in my time in the business I was going through the specification for a "weather" satellite and started seeing things that were obviously nuclear launch detection circuits. So, while the timeframe is right for when I would have been involved, to the best of my knowledge, none of my stuff is on it.)

Link Posted: 12/25/2021 11:01:37 AM EDT
[#18]
What a gift for all mankind! I can't wait to see what it sees.
Link Posted: 12/25/2021 11:20:28 AM EDT
[#19]

Ballast Bill Nelson
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By somaliskinnypirate:

Ballast Bill Nelson

Bill Nelson has been a pain in the ass of GA for a while
Link Posted: 12/25/2021 12:04:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Hesperus] [#20]
Originally Posted By Clown_Gun:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6P65Y-q-ht4

View Quote

Seems apropos, especially with the new Spider-Man movie.

I realized something when I woke up this morning. This is probably going to be the last really big project that the Old Space establishment attempts. There are plenty of other big projects. But they all either involve New Space or are entirely done by New Space.

Hopefully it will be a grand final project for them. As successful as Hubble. But now SpaceX and its competitors have all the momentum. With launch prices trending down there must be some work being done on a large private space telescope. I'm pretty sure there already are some small ones.
Link Posted: 12/25/2021 1:07:54 PM EDT
[#21]
View Quote

More like trying to instruct your kids, over the phone, how to unwrap all of their presents without ripping any paper.
Link Posted: 12/25/2021 1:37:06 PM EDT
[#22]
My excitement is immeasurable, and my day is made What a fantastic Christmas present to the scientific community and humanity as a whole
Link Posted: 12/25/2021 3:13:25 PM EDT
[#23]
I woke up at 7:15, watched until the second stage separated, and went back to sleep.

So happy there weren't any issues on launch, can't wait to hear everything is deployed and unfolded!
Link Posted: 12/25/2021 3:21:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Plumber576:
I woke up at 7:15, watched until the second stage separated, and went back to sleep.

So happy there weren't any issues on launch, can't wait to hear everything is deployed and unfolded!
View Quote

It's going to be a long month until we know everything works!
Link Posted: 12/25/2021 3:41:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 12/25/2021 4:46:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Webb is leaving now, as it should be.

The Naked And Famous - No Way
Link Posted: 12/25/2021 11:07:18 PM EDT
[#27]
Tracking the James Webb Space Telescope as it Heads to the L2 Point!
Tracking the James Webb Space Telescope as it Heads to the L2 Point!
Link Posted: 12/25/2021 11:15:13 PM EDT
[#28]
Are they actively slowing it down?

Link Posted: 12/25/2021 11:22:47 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By fike:

View Quote

Earths gravity slows it down.
Link Posted: 12/25/2021 11:49:50 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Klee:

View All Quotes

Well…duh. Makes sense. Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/26/2021 12:03:55 AM EDT
[#31]

View All Quotes

They’ll be speeding it up a bit over the course of the journey. The idea is to get just enough speed up at an angular vector and kind of slide sideways into orbit around L2, like those trick handbrake turns into a parking space.

There isn’t enough reaction mass onboard to do a braking burn and turning the whole thing around would expose the electronics to the sun, frying them:

The James Webb Space Telescope is launched on a direct path to an orbit around the second Sun-Earth Lagrange Point (L2), but it needs to make its own mid-course thrust correction maneuvers to get there. This is by design, because if Webb gets too much thrust from the Ariane rocket, it can’t turn around to thrust back toward Earth because that would directly expose its telescope optics and structure to the Sun, overheating them and aborting the science mission before it can even begin. Therefore, Webb gets an intentional slight under-burn from the Ariane and uses its own small thrusters and on-board propellant to make up the difference.

https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbLaunch/whereIsWebb.html
Link Posted: 12/26/2021 12:09:33 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Rudukai13:

They’ll be speeding it up a bit over the course of the journey. The idea is to get just enough speed up at an angular vector and kind of slide sideways into orbit around L2, like those trick handbrake turns into a parking space.

https://i.gifer.com/AVXY.gif

There isn’t enough reaction mass onboard to do a braking burn and turning the whole thing around would expose the electronics to the sun, frying them:

View All Quotes

The James Webb Space Telescope is launched on a direct path to an orbit around the second Sun-Earth Lagrange Point (L2), but it needs to make its own mid-course thrust correction maneuvers to get there. This is by design, because if Webb gets too much thrust from the Ariane rocket, it can’t turn around to thrust back toward Earth because that would directly expose its telescope optics and structure to the Sun, overheating them and aborting the science mission before it can even begin. Therefore, Webb gets an intentional slight under-burn from the Ariane and uses its own small thrusters and on-board propellant to make up the difference.

I just like how the most complicated telescope is doing to the most complicated way to get into orbit
Link Posted: 12/26/2021 2:52:01 AM EDT
[#33]
With all the delays (20yrs 5m >10B wtf?!?), and a chrismas launch distraction, i would have bet a case (a whole fkn case) of pmags that shit would have gotten aborted just outside of the atmosphere.
That shit was draggin on ,with the next money suck on the horizon, I hope we get something out of it, but Im still doubting.
Link Posted: 12/26/2021 12:36:45 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 12/26/2021 12:41:24 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By midcap:

I just like how the most complicated telescope is doing to the most complicated way to get into orbit
View All Quotes

It’s what it was designed for. When I first heard about their “skycrane” plan for landing SUV-sized rovers on Mars I thought they were absolutely insane too. And yet:

Perseverance Rover’s Descent and Touchdown on Mars (Official NASA Video)

When it’s designed, built, tested, and executed properly, we can pull off some pretty incredible shit with technology
Link Posted: 12/26/2021 10:18:18 PM EDT
[#36]
View Quote

sweet, I wasn't sure when it was gonna deploy
Link Posted: 12/26/2021 10:18:34 PM EDT
[#37]

It’s what it was designed for. When I first heard about their “skycrane” plan for landing SUV-sized rovers on Mars I thought they were absolutely insane too. And yet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4czjS9h4Fpg

When it’s designed, built, tested, and executed properly, we can pull off some pretty incredible shit with technology
View All Quotes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4czjS9h4Fpg

yeah that was a pretty  boss move with the rovers
Link Posted: 12/27/2021 9:57:25 PM EDT
[#38]

Link Posted: 12/27/2021 10:36:34 PM EDT
[#39]
If! It works and it's looking more and more likely that it is. I'm starting to think that this sun shield could turn out to be Webb's first big industrial contribution.

If it is in service for any period of time the lessons learned could form the basis of something that could be scaled up.

Perhaps big enough to cover a planet..?

How To Terraform Venus (Quickly)
Link Posted: 12/27/2021 10:39:05 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By Hesperus:
If! It works and it's looking more and more likely that it is. I'm starting to think that this sun shield could turn out to be Webb's first big industrial contribution.

If it is in service for any period of time the lessons learned could form the basis of something that could be scaled up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-WO-z-QuWI
View Quote

Probably not. Nor particularly desirable to cover a planet with I’d think
Link Posted: 12/27/2021 10:55:00 PM EDT
[#41]

View Quote

that's good they can refire the rocket!
Link Posted: 12/27/2021 10:57:03 PM EDT
[#42]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Hesperus:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-WO-z-QuWI

you woldn't want to cover the whole planet but basically if you could build it big enough, far enough away from the earth, you could have it stay in snchrony with the poles and regulate the temp there to stop sea level rise and potentially reverse it when combined with the cloud seeding China and the Suadis do
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 12:32:04 AM EDT
[#43]
We have successfully launched a giant mirror into space. Think about the consequences of that.
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 12:47:31 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By Skillshot:
We have successfully launched a giant mirror into space. Think about the consequences of that.
View Quote

Not successful yet. And not that giant.

Wait until we get the infrastructure to start manufacturing them in orbit - that’s when you’ll see some big fucking mirrors
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 12:48:11 AM EDT
[#45]

Wait until we get the infrastructure to start manufacturing them in orbit - that’s when you’ll see some big fucking mirrors
View Quote

yeah we really need to start on that. The Bigelow tech has been there for a while now
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 12:50:49 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By JustinHEMI04:
View Quote

Seems like a lot for a bunch of things we'll never get to.
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 12:51:37 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By junker46:

View All Quotes

Never get to what?
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 12:52:34 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By TacticalGarand44:

Never get to what?
View All Quotes

Never get to what?

the govt will cover up the alines!
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 1:01:47 AM EDT
[#49]

View Quote

One year of Webb in reliable operation will teach us a lot in strictly practical terms about how to do such things. This is a relatively small but very complex and thick sunshade design.

Regardless it seems that current space projects are going to become bigger and capable of unfolding ever larger structures. They developed space worthy solar panels that can be rolled up like fabric until they are deployed. This tech has already been used on the ISS AND Dart missions.

What is physically possible in space. Within the limits of currently known physics is incredible. Trouble is that we have to learn how to do these things on a small scale before implementing them on a large scale.

If we can continue our current push into space incredible things might happen. Or we might devolve into a horrifying mashup of Idiocracy and Interstellar. Then we would have to count on some kind of ridiculous Deus ex machina to save human civilization from its own psychopathic incompetence.

Hubble showed us things beyond the imaginations of most people. Webb is expected to do similar things. I really do hope Webb is able to demonstrate like Hubble did, that the juice is worth the squeeze.
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 2:56:57 AM EDT
[#50]

Never get to what?
View Quote

Travel or learn anything useful about distant stars/planets.  I don't think there is any real benefit to all this. There is a lot to see but very little if any practicality deep space exploration.  We may guess at compositions of other stars and planets; learn more about gravitational fields or time or whatever.  And of course the 'spin-off' technologies, and keeping several thousands educated and employed.  But outside radio waves, I doubt mankind will reach other star patterns.  We'd have a difficult time reaching Mars.  

Its like billions spent studying earthquakes and hurricanes.  We may, at some point, learn very precise and predictable effects of them.  But guess what? There is fuck-all to do anything about it. All you can do is learn to mitigate the damage caused.

I know this is in contrast with 'Astronaut Heros' and 'muh NASA!' and 'Merica!.
Page / 27
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top