BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 27
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 3:32:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MadMonkey] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By junker46:

Travel or learn anything useful about distant stars/planets.  I don't think there is any real benefit to all this. There is a lot to see but very little if any practicality deep space exploration.  We may guess at compositions of other stars and planets; learn more about gravitational fields or time or whatever.  And of course the 'spin-off' technologies, and keeping several thousands educated and employed.  But outside radio waves, I doubt mankind will reach other star patterns.  We'd have a difficult time reaching Mars.  

Its like billions spent studying earthquakes and hurricanes.  We may, at some point, learn very precise and predictable effects of them.  But guess what? There is fuck-all to do anything about it. All you can do is learn to mitigate the damage caused.

I know this is in contrast with 'Astronaut Heros' and 'muh NASA!' and 'Merica!.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TacticalGarand44:

Never get to what?

Travel or learn anything useful about distant stars/planets.  I don't think there is any real benefit to all this. There is a lot to see but very little if any practicality deep space exploration.  We may guess at compositions of other stars and planets; learn more about gravitational fields or time or whatever.  And of course the 'spin-off' technologies, and keeping several thousands educated and employed.  But outside radio waves, I doubt mankind will reach other star patterns.  We'd have a difficult time reaching Mars.  

Its like billions spent studying earthquakes and hurricanes.  We may, at some point, learn very precise and predictable effects of them.  But guess what? There is fuck-all to do anything about it. All you can do is learn to mitigate the damage caused.

Baby steps.

We know essentially nothing right now. As our knowledge expands, so do the possibilities.

Things that were unimaginable a century ago are commonplace now (ETA: And, coincidentally, much of it is due to the space program).
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 4:01:23 AM EDT
[#2]
This thing is pretty cool,  I got to see hubble launch when I was 14 and now my 14yo gets to witness Webb.  I hope he has the same reactions to Webb as I did with Hubble images
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 11:28:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 1:18:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By midcap:

yeah we really need to start on that. The Bigelow tech has been there for a while now
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Rudukai13:

Not successful yet. And not that giant.

Wait until we get the infrastructure to start manufacturing them in orbit - that’s when you’ll see some big fucking mirrors

yeah we really need to start on that. The Bigelow tech has been there for a while now

We do? Really? You want a SAPL array that can vaporize the Earth's surface? What is the point of that and who would control it?
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 1:41:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Skillshot:

We do? Really? You want a SAPL array that can vaporize the Earth's surface? What is the point of that and who would control it?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Skillshot:

Not successful yet. And not that giant.

Wait until we get the infrastructure to start manufacturing them in orbit - that’s when you’ll see some big fucking mirrors

wut?

I am talking about his giant infaltable modules to do experiments in in outerspace.

small to launch then you inflate tem
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 1:46:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Can’t wait for the images on APOD

Link Posted: 12/28/2021 2:10:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Well, I hope it all works out... and that this is not the first image it returns:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 2:11:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Matthew_Q:
Well, I hope it all works out... and that this is not the first image it returns:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/14121/FHkHFw9WYAUEkrK_jpg-2218602_JPG-2219695.JPG
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/28/2021 2:23:16 PM EDT
[#9]

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/14121/FHkHFw9WYAUEkrK_jpg-2218602_JPG-2219695.JPG
View Quote

They handled it:

https://svs.gsfc.nasa.gov/13931
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 3:17:43 PM EDT
[#10]

Link Posted: 12/28/2021 3:46:24 PM EDT
[#11]
The JWST will increase the size of the visible universe by several billion light years, by this time next year the universe will probably be much bigger than we thought.  

The hubble deep field got us to around 12-13b years visible age of the universe. However at a certain point the light from those distant galaxies is to far shifted to the red for hubble to detect because Hubble didn't have much IR capability.  The current consensus is that there is only an extra billion or so years of visible universe beyond the current hubble deep field - at that point the earliest galaxies are hidden by dense primordial clouds of hydrogen and helum created during the big bang.  

The JWST will see a lot deeper into the IR spectrum so there is a good chance it will reveal scores more galaxies beyond the limits of hubble's deep field, and even reveal galaxies hidden in the primordial soup of the early universe.  

My personal guess, we won't see the primordial gas created from the big bang condensing into the earliest galaxies. We're going to see red-shifted galaxies going back back and back. All the way to the limits of the JWST making the universe 20, even 30b years old, and it will vastly change the current model of the evolution of the universe.
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 4:00:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: junker46] [#12]
That (above) is heavy, man.

Originally Posted By MadMonkey:

Baby steps.

We know essentially nothing right now. As our knowledge expands, so do the possibilities.

Things that were unimaginable a century ago are commonplace now (ETA: And, coincidentally, much of it is due to the space program).
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By MadMonkey:

Baby steps.

True, but...

Originally Posted By DK-Prof:
...snip...  

The motivation of someone like Musk is not about glory or patriotism or anything silly like that - it’s about the survival of the human species.

I ready doubt we'll make it that far. Just as a need for self/species preservation, we are also big on self/species destruction. Just hard-wired into us.

But thinking on the first quote: do we really have new innovation or are we just building on what we already established? Even the most advanced robots are just a parts pile of pumps, hoses, valves, circuit boards hung on a metal chassis. Blue Tooth is just radio. Etc.
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 10:24:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AR4U] [#13]
Originally Posted By Hesperus:
If! It works and it's looking more and more likely that it is. I'm starting to think that this sun shield could turn out to be Webb's first big industrial contribution.

If it is in service for any period of time the lessons learned could form the basis of something that could be scaled up.

Perhaps big enough to cover a planet..?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-WO-z-QuWI
View Quote
Futurama covered this technology.   It was found inferior to periodically adding large chunks of comet ice to the oceans.
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 10:37:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By AR4U:
Futurama covered this technology.   It was found inferior to periodically adding large chunks of comet ice to the oceans.
View Quote

Let's just say I don't trust their science.

Resurrecting calculon [ HUN SUB ]

I mean they had Al Gore's daughter on the payroll for fucks sake.
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 10:38:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Current status:

Link Posted: 12/28/2021 11:54:17 PM EDT
[#16]
View Quote

so succesfull opening of the pallets?
Link Posted: 12/29/2021 12:04:12 AM EDT
[#17]

View All Quotes

Correct. Over the next five days or so they’ll be undergoing the process of extending the shields to the sides and separating the layers. That process involves hundreds of individual failure points, exactly none of which can go wrong or it’s pretty much game over. Harrowing shit
Link Posted: 12/29/2021 12:44:30 AM EDT
[#18]

Correct. Over the next five days or so they’ll be undergoing the process of extending the shields to the sides and separating the layers. That process involves hundreds of individual failure points, exactly none of which can go wrong or it’s pretty much game over. Harrowing shit
View All Quotes

ahhh yes....it's crunch time.

i wasthced the video and holy moly that's a lot of stuff going on.
Link Posted: 12/29/2021 8:18:49 AM EDT
[#19]

Any one know how long NASA plans to keep this site up after arrival at L2?
Link Posted: 12/29/2021 10:20:01 AM EDT
[#20]

Link Posted: 12/29/2021 2:34:38 PM EDT
[#21]

Link Posted: 12/29/2021 2:50:00 PM EDT
[#22]

View Quote

lol
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 1:19:26 AM EDT
[#23]
Trying to open the where is Webb site and getting nothing but privacy errors.  I've opened it before with no problems.
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 1:29:45 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By johnh57:
Trying to open the where is Webb site and getting nothing but privacy errors.  I've opened it before with no problems.
View Quote

https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbLaunch/whereIsWebb.html
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 1:43:40 AM EDT
[#25]
Yeah, that's the link.  This is what I'm getting back.

Your connection is not private
Attackers might be trying to steal your information from www.jwst.nasa.gov (for example, passwords, messages, or credit cards). Learn more
NET::ERR_CERT_AUTHORITY_INVALID

Link Posted: 12/30/2021 1:52:58 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By johnh57:
Yeah, that's the link.  This is what I'm getting back.

Your connection is not private
Attackers might be trying to steal your information from www.jwst.nasa.gov (for example, passwords, messages, or credit cards). Learn more
NET::ERR_CERT_AUTHORITY_INVALID

View Quote

Works fine here, guess attackers already have all my info
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 1:57:38 AM EDT
[#27]
Works for me. Tower Assembly has been successfully deployed:

The Deployable Tower Assembly (DTA) is deployed. The tower extends 1.22 meters. This movement/distance provides needed separation between the spacecraft and telescope to allow for better thermal isolation and to allow room for the sunshield membranes to unfold. Prior to this, several release devices will have been activated, and various heaters, software, and electronics have been configured to support deployments. This deployment motion is driven by a motor.
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 2:03:09 AM EDT
[#28]

View All Quotes

The Deployable Tower Assembly (DTA) is deployed. The tower extends 1.22 meters. This movement/distance provides needed separation between the spacecraft and telescope to allow for better thermal isolation and to allow room for the sunshield membranes to unfold. Prior to this, several release devices will have been activated, and various heaters, software, and electronics have been configured to support deployments. This deployment motion is driven by a motor.

woot woot!

also check out the temps....so obviously a sun shield works in space that good to know
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 2:24:10 AM EDT
[#29]

View Quote

Kinda fun to think about the motor and mechanisms that did this probably cost over a million dollars, with thousands of hours of design and testing by people dedicated to this one thing making a 1-2 meter movement, once, and thats it, now it just sits there, its 15 minutes of fame shot.

Repeat ~300 times over the next week
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 2:49:39 AM EDT
[#30]
Coming in to this kind of late but has the telescope found the mass relays yet??

Link Posted: 12/30/2021 3:30:57 AM EDT
[#31]

woot woot!

also check out the temps....so obviously a sun shield works in space that good to know
View Quote

They proved that concept back in the 70s when they stretched a Mylar tarp over a damaged part of Skylab.

Link Posted: 12/30/2021 3:38:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AeroE] [#32]
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 8:51:08 AM EDT
[#33]

woot woot!

View Quote
They haven't even stretched it open yet.  The booms/frames are extended, but the sheets haven't been unfurled.  That should happen over the next few days.  Then it will get really cold on the telescope side.
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 10:55:43 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By AeroE:
The Sun will engulf the entire inner system.  There will be no survival of anything living or built by men, and none of their memory except that sent out of the solar system on tiny exploration probes.

Earth will probably experience two or three major meteor strikes before that time that kill most everything but bugs and blind cave fish.
View Quote

Oh sure, if we leave the sun alone that will happen. The sun will start to fuse helium, iron and other heavy elements will build up. Iron being a fusion poison.

Unless we have a way of getting those elements out of the sun...

While writing a story I imagined Enrico Fermi creating a weapon specifically designed to kill cosmic horrors. Imagination is the only weapon we have against reality. But imagination must be expressed in the form of hardware. Not the easiest thing, but not impossible and certainly more appealing than just sitting around on a planet and waiting for the end to come.
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 11:08:36 AM EDT
[#35]

Oh sure, if we leave the sun alone that will happen. The sun will start to fuse helium, iron and other heavy elements will build up. Iron being a fusion poison.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzuHxL5FD5U

While writing a story I imagined Enrico Fermi creating a weapon specifically designed to kill cosmic horrors. Imagination is the only weapon we have against reality. But imagination must be expressed in the form of hardware. Not the easiest thing, but not impossible and certainly more appealing than just sitting around on a planet and waiting for the end to come.
View Quote

the sun doesn't weigh enough to make iron. not even close.

we would actually need to add more hydrogen to slow this.

the amount we need to add to make it worth it is probably the weight of everything else in the solar system.
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 11:13:58 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By AgeOne:

the amount we need to add to make it worth it is probably the weight of everything else in the solar system.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AgeOne:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzuHxL5FD5U

The Sun is already nearly 999 parts of 1000 of the mass of the Solar System. It would have to be at least 10 times, maybe 1000 times more massive to generate iron through fusion.
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 11:28:13 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 1:34:30 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Hater:
They haven't even stretched it open yet.  The booms/frames are extended, but the sheets haven't been unfurled.  That should happen over the next few days.  Then it will get really cold on the telescope side.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Hater:

Side booms are not out yet, I believe that’s the very next step. They just successfully deployed the aft momentum flap:

The Aft Momentum Flap is used to help offset some of the solar pressure that impinges on the large sunshield. Use of the momentum flap helps to minimize fuel usage during the mission. After releasing hold-down devices, a spring drives the rotation of the aft flap to its final position.
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 2:04:36 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 2:08:55 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By AJ_Dual:

Starlifting is a good strategy for a Kardashev II civilization. The star will outweigh everything else in the system, as will its share of elements not contributing to fusion.

The one thing I wonder though is that G-class stars like our Sun aren't fully convective. Unlike M-class red dwarf stars.  That means if we "clean" the Sun of heavier elements, it may not actually benefit the core where the fusion is happening.

Our future descendants might need a big stir-stick or something.
View Quote

Our future descendents will probably also have a bunch more stars with which to play with.

Not often covered in science fiction. But I like stories about civilizations that tinker with large and dangerous cosmic bodies.

The Largest Star in the Universe – Size Comparison
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 2:38:00 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Dumak:
The JWST will increase the size of the visible universe by several billion light years, by this time next year the universe will probably be much bigger than we thought.  

The hubble deep field got us to around 12-13b years visible age of the universe. However at a certain point the light from those distant galaxies is to far shifted to the red for hubble to detect because Hubble didn't have much IR capability.  The current consensus is that there is only an extra billion or so years of visible universe beyond the current hubble deep field - at that point the earliest galaxies are hidden by dense primordial clouds of hydrogen and helum created during the big bang.  

The JWST will see a lot deeper into the IR spectrum so there is a good chance it will reveal scores more galaxies beyond the limits of hubble's deep field, and even reveal galaxies hidden in the primordial soup of the early universe.  

My personal guess, we won't see the primordial gas created from the big bang condensing into the earliest galaxies. We're going to see red-shifted galaxies going back back and back. All the way to the limits of the JWST making the universe 20, even 30b years old, and it will vastly change the current model of the evolution of the universe.
View Quote

I've been laughed at for posting this before but I've found no convincing argument that space and time are anything other than infinite. That means that there has been an infinite amount of "big bangs" and its just one long cycle that happens over and over again. It also means that we have plenty of room for an infinite number of the remnants of big bangs all at the same.
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 2:55:34 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By wildturkey09:

I've been laughed at for posting this before but I've found no convincing argument that space and time are anything other than infinite. That means that there has been an infinite amount of "big bangs" and its just one long cycle that happens over and over again. It also means that we have plenty of room for an infinite number of the remnants of big bangs all at the same.
View Quote

Don’t know why you’d get laughed at for that, that’s certainly a very reasonable possibility
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 3:28:53 PM EDT
[#43]
At what it cost to produce one telescope, wouldn't a second one built concurrently be more cost effective since all of the tooling and R&D is done for the first model?
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 3:33:09 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By alaskan_9974:
At what it cost to produce one telescope, wouldn't a second one built concurrently be more cost effective since all of the tooling and R&D is done for the first model?
View Quote

In theory, yes. In practice, James Webb is already obsolete. We're better off working on the next one, that will be even bigger, far more capable, and designed to fly on a rocket charging a tenth or less what this one cost.
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 4:13:32 PM EDT
[#45]
Sun shield covers successfully released:

This is one of a series of events where a long list of actuators and mechanisms have to work perfectly in order to go right, and they did
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 4:20:53 PM EDT
[#46]

View Quote

Link Posted: 12/30/2021 4:28:06 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By alaskan_9974:
View Quote

The majority of that money went to testing and validating the systems and mechanisms due to the complexity.  Even if they built two, the costs would be huge to test and validate every part and system.  But there is a design for a more advanced and larger version of JWST on the boards, just needs funding...
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 4:44:49 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Goback:
Coming in to this kind of late but has the telescope found the mass relays yet??

View Quote

This is an important question.  I need an Asari girlfriend.
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 4:47:19 PM EDT
[#49]
If! It works and it's looking more and more likely that it is. I'm starting to think that this sun shield could turn out to be Webb's first big industrial contribution.

If it is in service for any period of time the lessons learned could form the basis of something that could be scaled up.

Perhaps big enough to cover a planet..?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-WO-z-QuWI
View Quote

Its a neat idea, but way to fragile to support life.

Some drunk can fly his spaceship into the shield and then the sun vaporizes the surface in a day.
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 4:48:07 PM EDT
[#50]
@wheel

Any thought to updating this thread's title? Because the JWST has left the launch site.
Page / 27
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top