BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 6:56:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I wish Japan would get into the fast SUV market. There’s the Acura A-Spec RDX but it’s just “meh” for its price range. A CRV SI with the 2.0T, lowered with a painted body kit would be a hot daily.

Hyundai on the other hand is coming out with a 12-13 second crossover with Brembo brakes that was developed based on Nurburgring lap times.
View Quote

Nissan attempted it before with not many made or any in the US. That price though.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a15353776/nissan-juke-r-2-0-600-hp-gt-r-nismo-powertrain-17-may-be-built/
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 6:56:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Pearl Harbor...
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 6:57:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Well, it was a pretty f'ing awesome car.

https://wallpapercave.com/wp/wp4276240.jpg
View Quote
As much as I loved that car, it was a bit of a pig
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 7:11:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Nissan attempted it before with not many made or any in the US. That price though.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a15353776/nissan-juke-r-2-0-600-hp-gt-r-nismo-powertrain-17-may-be-built/
View Quote

I would have loved a GTR powered Juke, even though I think the Juke is ugly. Maybe it’s age killing my taste, but I’m growing quite fond of the super crossovers.

Hyundai KONA N (2023) Really Hot SUV?
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 7:13:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I’m still debating buying a GTR.  They are more than I want to spend, but I feel like now is the time to buy a fun gas powered vehicle before they all go electric and become unobtainable.  

This one is for sale near me:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/284150/FA9A3924-EF53-4A02-8118-90BF8D508AEA_png-1966856.JPG
View Quote

You live in NZ? https://www.autoworldcars.co.nz/vehicle/2020-Nissan-GTR/1319009?s=1
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 7:21:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Tokyo Drift - Teriyaki Boyz [ MUSIC VIDEO ] HD
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 7:24:39 PM EDT
[#7]
toyota/lexus doesnt know beans about sports cars. and if they manage to actually pay someone to make them something good it will cost 200K+ once everyone gets their cut. sports cars that no one can afford dont matter.
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 7:25:58 PM EDT
[#8]
I had a red conquest, put a t3 tubro and aftermarket non jet valve head on it. ended up dropping a valve and I sold it for scrap. kinda wish I still had it, was a fun car.
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 7:27:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 7:27:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Japan is the last place I would shop for a sports car.
View Quote

Your loss.

Link Posted: 6/4/2021 7:32:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Forget the 90's, the 70's are where it's at.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 7:38:40 PM EDT
[#12]
I've been looking really hard at the older RX7s, possibly to turn into a stage rally car eventually. They're cheap and common in the sport. And rotaries sound awesome.
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 7:44:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

The 90s was an incredible time for Japanese sports cars. I still have mine.
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 11:32:18 PM EDT
[#14]
you are peter north?
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 11:33:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I've been looking really hard at the older RX7s, possibly to turn into a stage rally car eventually. They're cheap and common in the sport. And rotaries sound awesome.
View Quote
cheap and rotaries are mutually exclusive. a basic rebuild cost about what fully building a race piston motor cost.
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 11:37:28 PM EDT
[#16]
I knew this was going to be the case.

I don't even want to look up prices for MR2 Turbo, FDs and late FC's, 240SX, 300ZX, Integra GSR, Subaru 2.5 RS (early 2000s) or many of the others that I used to love.

Link Posted: 6/4/2021 11:44:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

I had that car in late 2000.  Bought it used with 9k miles on it.  Drove it for 10 years and sold it with 120k miles.  It was a fun car and the enormous spoiler was awesome!
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 11:50:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Who would’ve thought Lexus would be gunning for a top spot on the sporty car manufacturers list? I can’t wait to see the new Z car, and for whatever reason teenagers my son’s  age are going nuts over the Japanese sports cars of the 90s. Not the supra, which has become unobtainable and is regarded as an old man’s car, but you should see the drop jaw stares the 3000gt gets.

When I was a kid the big four were the 300 ZX, the 3000 GT, the RX7 and the supra. Supras are all locked up in private collections now, and the RX7 turned out to be a piece of shit and I doubt there are very many left on the road. It was an awesome car but it just didn’t last.
View Quote

My Dad had a 1988 Supra Turbo.
It was a great car, and freaking fast!
Wish I still had it.
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 11:57:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Just to clarify my original post, I have a 16-year-old son who is into cars and I spend a lot of time talking to 16 year old car enthusiasts. My comment about the 90s supra being an old man’s car is their perception, not mine. Around here at least, you never see high mileage supras available at the kind of price a young kid can afford. When they do come up for sale they are usually pristine low mileage examples selling for 50 grand and up. The kids just are not interested in them because they are unobtainable as far as they are concerned. They’re kind of in the same category as the Acura NSX, which I can’t help but notice no one has mentioned.
Link Posted: 6/5/2021 12:28:02 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Just to clarify my original post, I have a 16-year-old son who is into cars and I spend a lot of time talking to 16 year old car enthusiasts. My comment about the 90s supra being an old man's car is their perception, not mine. Around here at least, you never see high mileage supras available at the kind of price a young kid can afford. When they do come up for sale they are usually pristine low mileage examples selling for 50 grand and up. The kids just are not interested in them because they are unobtainable as far as they are concerned. They're kind of in the same category as the Acura NSX, which I can't help but notice no one has mentioned.
View Quote
because no one could afford them. the cool shit is always out of reach. thats why the sport compact scene started. civics, integras and other cheap sporty cars.
Link Posted: 6/5/2021 12:31:42 AM EDT
[#21]
The 3rd Gen RX-7 was a work of art.

Link Posted: 6/5/2021 12:44:26 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Just to clarify my original post, I have a 16-year-old son who is into cars and I spend a lot of time talking to 16 year old car enthusiasts. My comment about the 90s supra being an old man’s car is their perception, not mine. Around here at least, you never see high mileage supras available at the kind of price a young kid can afford. When they do come up for sale they are usually pristine low mileage examples selling for 50 grand and up. The kids just are not interested in them because they are unobtainable as far as they are concerned. They’re kind of in the same category as the Acura NSX, which I can’t help but notice no one has mentioned.
View Quote

I'm of the age that when I was growing up and could afford a decent car I wanted a Supra. I saw the gen 1 in my apartment complex in Houston in the early 80's and had to have it. And I had a great job in the oilfield there at the time and went and bought one and then never strayed. I loved that car and all 5 I've had since. Every single generation. Two from gen III and the gen IV I have now. At the time all my friends were into old American Muscle and I love that too but I wanted to try something different I guess and I still get ribbed for that. But only in a teasing way.

Mine is still all original and is a never modified TT and I used to daily drive it but it is still rock solid at 100K miles but driven infrequently now. The thing that cracks me up about it the most is that I am amazed at the attention it gets from young men from 13-35 wherever it goes. Many of whom know as much about it as me! But it also makes me appreciate all the stuff Japan was producing (including the NSX) at the time. I, like you, want them (mfgs) to remember that too and do it again.

ETA: Meant to add...OP, your son is 16 and just starting out a Supra or NSX or any other sports car of that era (or even now) is not the right car at that age no matter how much he knows about or craves them.

Link Posted: 6/5/2021 12:55:08 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Yeah the 3000GT VR4 crammed a twin turbo 3.0l transversal v6 under the hood.  You could drop a bolt and it would never hit the ground.    I installed upgraded turbos, exhaust, FMIC, stage 3 clutch, etc all in my parents garage.  Lots of busted knuckles and curse words.
View Quote

Had a classmate in HS that said you had to drop the block to reach the back spark plugs. Is this true? Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/5/2021 2:04:57 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Pics?  Miss my B16 swapped ‘90 CRX Si and ‘92 EG hatch
View Quote

I still have my Spoon Sports beefed up B16A swapped 89 Civic.
Super fun car. Engine came from Japan with some added features already and then I added Spoon and Mugen parts and hooked up on a Spoon Sports computer from a guy in Japan.
Damn thing revs up to 8,900rpm and sounds incredible.

A funny, I raced it against my neighbors 350Z and beat him and had a lot of fun against a Ferrari.
Link Posted: 6/5/2021 3:10:46 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I have already moved on to dreaming about a LC500 F sport with a TT6 and propper DCT

This is a bit extreme, but you get the idea..

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/59051/Central-Pine-Lexus-LC500-5_jpg-1966745.JPG
View Quote

I want an LFA something terrible.

I'd give up all my toys for one of those things, they sound better than any other street car from the factory IMHO.
Link Posted: 6/5/2021 3:12:50 AM EDT
[#26]
I was just contemplating a 280zx the other day…
Link Posted: 6/5/2021 3:18:33 AM EDT
[#27]

Link Posted: 6/5/2021 3:36:00 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote
They were well known for being a PITA to work on and having many electrical issues
Link Posted: 6/5/2021 3:52:40 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I still have my Spoon Sports beefed up B16A swapped 89 Civic.
Super fun car. Engine came from Japan with some added features already and then I added Spoon and Mugen parts and hooked up on a Spoon Sports computer from a guy in Japan.
Damn thing revs up to 8,900rpm and sounds incredible.

A funny, I raced it against my neighbors 350Z and beat him and had a lot of fun against a Ferrari.
View Quote

My 2nd car was a 1991 Honda Civic Si and I worked all summer to afford a B16A swap for it.  Used to love smoking Integra GSR’s….

Miss that car.  Should have never sold it.
Link Posted: 6/5/2021 5:40:59 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

Just around Michigan I wouldn't expect to see any 4th Gen Supras for sale.  You have to look nation-wide for any rare car.  Only 6,977 turbo models were sold in the US from 1993 - 1998 and I assure you there are many less today.  https://mkiv.com/specifications/sales_numbers/retail_sales.html
For comparison:  31,850 total Vipers.  27,000+ Corvettes in 2014 alone.

$50k for a pristine low mileage example Supra turbo?  That market is more like $120K - $189K ...and rising.  You might be able to get a gray market imported right-hand-drive non-turbo for $50K these days, but no one truely wants those, even the people who buy them.  For gee wiz, look nation-wide on Autotrader dot com.  Turbo models range from $75k to $180k.  

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top