Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 11:46:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm new to the tool game so this is a learning thread for me.
Not to trigger the anti-HF crowd, but the 56" US General has a Maximum Working load of 4400 lbs.  The Lista has a load capacity of 1200 lbs.

Can someone explain the difference to me?  Thanks..
View Quote
The HF Boxes are the best bang for the buck in the business. Buy them and don't worry. This goes quadruple is you are just a Joe DIY and not a pro (although a pro just starting out would do fine with an HF box). Anybody that comes in here to steer you away from HF (US General) for a basic, solid, cheap box is either a liar or a stupid person. You can spend 10X the amount for the US General 56 to get a truck brand box, and it will certainly be a better box, but your smarter play is to spend a fraction of the savings filling the box with quality tools.
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 11:48:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Not to trigger the anti-HF crowd, but the 56" US General has a Maximum Working load of 4400 lbs.  The Lista has a load capacity of 1200 lbs.

View Quote
HF assuming that 100lb per drawer and 44 drawers means 4400lb capacity. Just a guess. Don’t know how many drawers it has.

I find it quite dubious that the casters on it could take that kind of weight.
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 11:52:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

HF assuming that 100lb per drawer and 44 drawers means 4400lb capacity. Just a guess. Don't know how many drawers it has.

I find it quite dubious that the casters on it could take that kind of weight.
View Quote
I don't believe that the ratings are 100% straightforward, but the price difference is tremendous.  With the Lista, the load rating is way lower.
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 11:59:29 PM EDT
[#4]
I bought this at Costco with some gift cards I got for my birthday and Father's Day.   I probably should look at the rating info on it.  The only thing I don't like about it is that it only has one full length drawer.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 12:47:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Just the perspective from a home DIYer...

I started out with some cheapy Craftsman boxes, then upgraded to a 13 drawer 44” Craftsman ball bearing drawer that I got on sale for like $499.  Then I found out about the HF US General boxes for substantially cheaper. Pulled the trigger on one (13 drawer 44”) and it blows my C-man ball bearing out of the water. Better drawers, better casters.  It even came with drawer liners!!  Much heavier gauge metal all around too. Bought the HF 5 drawer cart too. Good stuff.
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 1:07:47 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm a huge proponent of the US General Boxes for non-pros. But then I got a free Vidmar from work.

Good grief. It's like a tank in comparison to the US Generals. Also have a Kennedy Versa Bench that's probably early 90s vintage. It's like a 3-4k cabinet new and the tool boxes are shit compared to the US Generals. But the Listas and Vidmars are beasts. Super jealous, op. I'm just a home gamer and not a pro, but I stalk craigslist for Vidmars and Listas now.
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 1:17:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

100 lb max drawer weight vs 440lb
View Quote
The question is, do you need 440lb drawer weight?
If he is only storing micrometers in the drawers he will never get near 100lbs per drawer.

I personally would rather have $10,000 worth of tools in a $1,000 box rather than $1,000 tools in a $10,000 box.

I have a client who ordered a custom Snap-On box “Mr. Big” which cost him nearly $35,000 cdn. It is 12’ long including the 2 side cabinets.
It was an early retirement present for himself. He owns a very profitable engine rebuilding shop. He has a 40 year collection of tools.
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 1:45:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Lista
Link

3300 shipped
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
How'd you do...
Well first off you didn't tell us how much you paid for that...
So you failed horribly!
Lista
Link

3300 shipped
You got screwed.
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 6:02:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote
Easy.

4400lbs > 1200lbs.

Any other questions?  
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 6:09:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Lista?
View Quote
Looks like it. Lista is great shit.
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 6:10:29 AM EDT
[#11]
What the fuck weighs 440lbs that you would put in a drawer...  my 359 craftsman is bigger and cheaper and has nice smooth soft close drawers. That’s a ripoff imho
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 6:18:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Just ordered a tool box. How did I do?

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/213600/Z2q8GymcpEx_-555378.JPG
View Quote
Well, since the picture is all you shared, we can't really determine how you did.

A.W.D.
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 6:20:22 AM EDT
[#13]
I would have at least tried the HF box before spending 10x more on a Lista. Even if you had to modify the casters.

My 56" sitting in my garage is a godsend for a guy who had to put all his tools in the boiler closet. Plenty of space. Also plenty of pictures of 200lb guys sitting on the drawers without a problem.
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 7:00:53 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
Get a HF box and dont think twice about it. Hell, even the menards boxs are very nice. Lots of guy at the last shop I was at had them and they were fine. I got the lista because I've always wanted one.
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 7:21:05 AM EDT
[#15]
$4k, holy frick!
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 7:59:50 AM EDT
[#16]
I have a Homak/Kennedy 10/22 cantilever at work.  It does the job ok, but I can make my own, and be a higher quality.  That said, we're supposed to go to boxes that we check out of the tool room, and no personal tools will be allowed.  Once that happens, my tools will go home and into my Snap-On 48".  My son's tools will get kicked out to his grandfather's old tool box, and we'll end up putting a mechanic's special back on the road for his first car.  That way he can learn to be self sufficient on his own.
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 8:02:23 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
That ain't a tool box.  

This is a tool box!

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/15596/Master_craftsman_Henry_O-586474.JPG
View Quote
I like to talk to the demons living in this fucker's head ...for about five minutes.
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 8:09:57 AM EDT
[#18]
What you put in the tool box is much more important than what brand the box is. Don’t be the limp dick that pays $$$ for a tool box but has to borrow tools.
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 8:13:33 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I have a Homak/Kennedy 10/22 cantilever at work.  It does the job ok, but I can make my own, and be a higher quality.  That said, we're supposed to go to boxes that we check out of the tool room, and no personal tools will be allowed.  Once that happens, my tools will go home and into my Snap-On 48".  My son's tools will get kicked out to his grandfather's old tool box, and we'll end up putting a mechanic's special back on the road for his first car.  That way he can learn to be self sufficient on his own.
View Quote
We are buying $500k worth of obsolete snapon digital boxes that do automatic inventory control. They use a shit camera system and work great until the contrasting color foam gets filthy. That should take a week or two.
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 8:17:19 AM EDT
[#20]
The red Milwaukee 46" from HD is a SCREAMING deal...unless someone convinces me it isn't.  More than enough for my needs and extremely useful.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 8:25:43 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Lista makes a good box.  In before all the my harbor freight is just as good derp that will be posted.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lista
Link

3300 shipped
Lista makes a good box.  In before all the my harbor freight is just as good derp that will be posted.
Well...us general is very good for the money. That kind of money services your ego, not your needs.
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 8:36:52 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
The red Milwaukee 46" from HD is a SCREAMING deal...unless someone convinces me it isn't.  More than enough for my needs and extremely useful.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/4311/red-and-black-textured-powder-coating-milwaukee-tool-chest-combos-48-22-8510-8520-64_400_compressed-586763.JPG
View Quote
those seem decent. The worst of all the cheap box's ive seen is husky. Its still not bad, but a drawer with sockets will sag in the center and hit the drawer below it when you open it.
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 9:09:40 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lista
Link

3300 shipped
Well I was thinking along those lines. I was in Home Depot the other day and they have a nice big Milwaukee for 3 or 400 dollars. It looked and felt good to me.
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 9:13:29 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Well I was thinking along those lines. I was in Home Depot the other day and they have a nice big Milwaukee for 3 or 400 dollars. It looked and felt good to me.
View Quote
they arnt bad at all. metal is a little thin but it will work fine.
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 9:28:56 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/343566/B14B5D4C-66A8-45E0-82D8-180FD0D1121F-399552.jpg

Montezuma is what you seek.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/343566/IMG-0948-235288.jpg

Mine, it needs to be cleaned out and reorganized but I’ll wait till after harvest.
View Quote
You live in the Willamette Valley? I worked on many a grass baler in that valley.
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 9:35:40 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
You got screwed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
How'd you do...
Well first off you didn't tell us how much you paid for that...
So you failed horribly!
Lista
Link

3300 shipped
You got screwed.
LOL.Right to the poi t.
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 9:55:06 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/4311/red-and-black-textured-powder-coating-milwaukee-tool-chest-combos-48-22-8510-8520-64_400_compressed-586763.JPG
View Quote
That is the one I was looking at
I would have bought it if I still had my truck.
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 9:59:05 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
That's crazy
Good for you though
Seriously though, what makes it 10x the cost?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ETA: wtf. I'll take a $400 kobalt and take the family on vacation
Meh, no family, and it works as a tax right off at the end of the year.
That's crazy
Good for you though
Seriously though, what makes it 10x the cost?
It'll hold gold bullion in the drawers and it's not plebeian red.
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 10:08:33 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Define mobile?  Just get a rolling cart and a KRL1023 from snap on.
View Quote
LOL. $13000
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 10:13:07 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote
That’s the one I bought. I really like that there are bolt holes on the side for mounting two of their chargers, which are right below a power strip. There’s also a handy drill and battery storage drawer with a plate to hold some of their batteries.

The power strip inside the top part is handy too, though they stashed the cords oddly when they shipped it.  Had to remove a drawer to get to it. That is literally my only complaint so far with it.
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 10:13:57 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Here is set of +$1000 Kennedys sitting on top of my harbor freight.  The harbor freight is made to better quality standards.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/312410/20171215_211924-586560.JPG
View Quote
I was going to say my chinese Menards Green Force is 2x the box of any of my Kennedys.  When I bought the first Kennedy, there really wasn't any better option.  I wouldn't even consider one today.

I have a hard time pulling the trigger on Lista cabinets at work with their money
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 10:26:33 AM EDT
[#32]
The US General boxes are the best deal for anyone but a brand snob that has convinced themselves they need a Snap On for 5x the price, but needs something even beefier than the homeowner offerings from Kobalt/Husky/Craftsman/etc

I was reading over on Garage Journal that there is some new tariff on 44" boxes below a certain depth, which is why US General increased that dimension on the 44" boxes, and the price went up as a result. But the new box is just as good a deal as the old one.

We're pretty much in the salad days of toolboxes now, especially for homeowners than don't need ridiculous features. For like than $800 you can get a great 56" cabinet and chest from a handful of companies that is bigger and superior in features to what would have cost double that or been half the size a decade ago.
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 10:28:10 AM EDT
[#33]
Lista makes a proper tool box. You done good. Real good. I have a Snap on 76 inch epiq with work center, butcher block and side locker. Now that I am in a service truck my tool box sits empty at the shop. If only it would fit into my house
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 10:32:42 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Lista
Link

3300 shipped
View Quote

I'm sure it's nice but I've never really understood why these things are so damn expensive.
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 10:36:57 AM EDT
[#35]
3k for that is ouch.
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 10:53:49 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I'm sure it's nice but I've never really understood why these things are so damn expensive.
View Quote
They last forever.  Honestly.  We use them to build work stations at all of our machining centers.  Drawers with hundreds of pounds of parallels, set up blocks, tooling, even vises.  They work every day.  The racks don't fall off.  The bearings don't seize up.  They don't pull out of the tracks.

They're over built for what they're rated, like many things used to be, so when used as rated, they have almost no wear.

They're like taking a .50 BMG action and putting it on a 5.56 barrel.  You're never going to shear a bolt lug.  Not in a million rounds.
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 11:23:36 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 12:23:51 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lista
Link

3300 shipped
m

Well HF has that color and style now lol.   The Chinese are fast.  I was buying neodymium magnets yesterday and saw their new blue boxes at 10% of the OP’s cost.

What he should get is some nice mahogany boxes.
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 12:40:12 PM EDT
[#39]
A couple of posters have mentioned the Friends and Family coupons.  I did a quick Google search and that appears to be a 25% off coupon that they run from time to time?  The expired F&F coupons that came up appeared to have the "this does not include tool carts and tool boxes" fine print that is on most of their coupons... are coupons applicable to the US General stuff?

Sorry to hijack your Cadillac toolbox post OP, but your original post was AIDS.
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 1:12:05 PM EDT
[#40]
Any of you guys wanting a really nice tool box just need to do a little homework and watch the classifieds or eBay. You can score some bargains on some extremely high quality stuff. Of course people spend way to much on the tool truck and can never sell it used for half of what they paid....yet they offer it up for sale regardless. Here is what I bought for just over three grand. It was ten years old and cost me almost $400.00 for a wrecker to haul it over 100 miles. Also spent a couple hundred to have the butcher block planed down clean and refinished. Took it all apart and cleaned it up good. Probably $18,000.00 off the truck new. Gives new meaning to the word huge.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 1:13:27 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 1:31:34 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I bought this at Costco with some gift cards I got for my birthday and Father's Day.   I probably should look at the rating info on it.  The only thing I don't like about it is that it only has one full length drawer.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/176850/costco_tool_box-586651.JPG
View Quote
100lb/drawer. I'm satisfied with it for the most part. My 1/2" socket drawer is probably overloaded, I have to pick up on the handle a bit for it to latch.
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 1:34:09 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Mines bigger

Lists makes some great stuff, we have their work benches at work. If their actual boxes are half as good you'll be happy
View Quote
That's not what 'she' said.  
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 1:59:38 PM EDT
[#44]
$3300 huh? How's the blowjob port work?
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 3:38:26 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Easy.

4400lbs > 1200lbs.

Any other questions?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Easy.

4400lbs > 1200lbs.

Any other questions?  
LoL  
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 3:50:54 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
What the fuck weighs 440lbs that you would put in a drawer...  my 359 craftsman is bigger and cheaper and has nice smooth soft close drawers. That’s a ripoff imho
View Quote
I've got a 3/4 inch ratchet set with standard and metric sockets weighs in at a hefty amount. However, I'm no pro and only have these in my shop at home:

Link Posted: 6/25/2018 3:54:52 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I just bought a bunch of HF boxes. I bought 6 more total to go with the 6 we have. WE started with the 4 drawer carts to give them a shot 6 or 7 years ago and I have been more that pleased with the quality of everything in the US General line. I honestly believe you are crazy to spend the money on a Snap-On box when you could use the money on tools instead.

I bought two of the 44" bottoms, 2 of the wood top storage units (these are a different brand we are just giving them a try), 1 - 4 drawer roll cart and 1- 5 drawer roll cart. I got 25% off on the whole ticket with  Friends and family coupon.

A new guy who just moved here from Phoenix was helping us load them up. He swore repeatedly the US Generals were made in the same factory as the Snap ons. I'm sure he meant the Blue points. But the US Generals are the best value in America for tool boxes and nothing I have been is even close. One you add in the FandF 25% off, it becomes something that makes it stupid to buy any thing else.
View Quote
Agree on all you said except one nitpick - the HF % off coupons don't work on the boxes.
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 3:56:40 PM EDT
[#48]
Those brakes will come in handy at the soapbox derby.
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 3:59:02 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Number of Drawers: 13

Load Capacity: 1200 lb.
Drawer Load Rating: 440 lb.

Am I missing something?  You have 13 drawers with a load rating of 440 lbs each and a maximum load of 1200 lbs total?
That wouldn't even be 100 lbs per drawer if you loaded them up.
View Quote
I'm thinking the 1,200 lb. rating on Zoro's website might be an error. From Lista's website,

"Heavy-duty casters (1,200 lbs. each). That's as much as 4,800 lbs. of capacity per toolbox for single and double banks, and 7,200 lbs. of capacity for triple banks and two-bays!"

I'm not 100% sure this is the case here, but 1,200 lb. per caster with a total load rating of 4,800 lb. would make sense if it has 440 lb. rated drawers.
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 5:15:30 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top