Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 11:48:15 AM EDT
[#1]
They need to focus on what they are good at. They should be a design house that licenses their work to real gun manufacturers.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 11:50:38 AM EDT
[#2]
I’ve owned the P40, P11, two P3at’s and a sub2000 in .40 (Glock mags). Only issues I’ve had was the 1st gen P3at, just required the well known “fluff/buff” to make it 100%. I’ve always wanted a SU-16 too, just never come across one.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 11:55:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A slight step above a hi point.
View Quote

It's funny people say this kind of thing but more people are killed by hi-points and other inexpensive guns every year compared to the 0 real life firefight encounters the $2000+ customs that people want to compare the cheap guns with.  
We should be celebrating companies that make firearms that everyone can afford.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 11:57:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 11:57:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
They innovate more than any other three companies combined.

But due to them focusing on new innovations their designs aren't as polished. You shouldn't expect them to be as they are blazing new trails vs producing firearm designs that are literally older than your great great grandpa.
View Quote

Kel-tec.  We have this new design and are proud to bring it to market all 100% made in the USA.  95% of ARFCOM: "Boo you suck!!"
Springfield: " We are releasing an 80 year old design as new, it's a Hi-Power made overseas and cost 3x what the American made keltec costs".  ARFCOM: " OMG it's so amazing.  USA USA"
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 11:59:53 AM EDT
[#6]
I got done shooting one day and loaded up, waiting for a buddy to finish. On the bench in front of me was a pin that looked like a take down pin that had the head sheared. I’m thinking some guy with a POS gun broke it and tossed it. It was from my PF9………Called Keltec and they sent a replacement take down pin. The pin had wiggled out from the retainer wire and sheared the head during a round. I promptly sold that piece of junk. Never Keltec again.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 12:01:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Only at Arfcom...

A true "American" success story: Keltec was created by an immigrant, who married an immigrant, desgns, manufacturesand sells everything to a constant backorder.

I was in a local gun shop the other day. Laid eyes on the first 9mm Glock mag Sub 2000 I've seen in an age. They had just come in and only four remained. Yeah, Keltec is hurting.

You'd think this board was loaded 'Merica haters reading the comments.
View Quote
I love my Kel-Tecs, and I've known his story for a long time. I have owned pretty much everything they have made at one time or another.

There are very few of them that I would stake my life on, and they only got that way after a trip or two back to Florida to iron the kinks out.

Wonderful design shop with limited execution ability. They always cheap out in confusing ways, like shitty fasteners, in an otherwise mostly good design.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 12:03:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 12:04:42 PM EDT
[#9]
They need to reboot the Tec-9, ala Ghetto Blaster and Sol Invictus Tac-9 have done, with a Glock mag lower.

Kharn
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 12:05:09 PM EDT
[#10]
I like how they push the envelope and actually innovate.  There aren't a lot of US companies willing to be creative anymore.

I don't like how they leave designs unfinished before moving on to something else and don't actually produce guns in volume.  I've been hearing they are risk-averse to expansion for the last 20 years.  It's an empty excuse at this point.

I have an RDB that's pretty neat.  There's some really good aspects to the design but then some WTF half-assed elements like the mag release.

I wish them success and hope they'll be around for a while to continue driving some innovation.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 12:08:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Kel-tec.  We have this new design and are proud to bring it to market all 100% made in the USA.  95% of ARFCOM: "Boo you suck!!"
Springfield: " We are releasing an 80 year old design as new, it's a Hi-Power made overseas and cost 3x what the American made keltec costs".  ARFCOM: " OMG it's so amazing.  USA USA"
View Quote

Bad example.

Springfield: *Cures Cancer*

ARFCOM: FSA.

Also ARFCOM: How will I know where to hold the cancer-curing vial without 'dat Grip Zone!?
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 12:25:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Junk designs + junk build quality + junk QC= junk.

Better than High Point I guess if you need a gun and are really poor.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 12:30:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I’ve owned a P11, and it wasn’t junk, but definitely sucked to practice with. I’d love to have a sub2000, but they’re not $400 anymore.
View Quote

I had one too. The form factor was great, it was reliable…..but that trigger was combloc double action level of bad. Still innovative though
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 12:32:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I saw a SU16 carbine at shot. the hand guards folded out to become a bipod-which is neat except the handguards were flimsy and the wire that connected the two halves of the hand guards looked like it was made out of a paper clip
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I saw a SU16 carbine at shot. the hand guards folded out to become a bipod-which is neat except the handguards were flimsy and the wire that connected the two halves of the hand guards looked like it was made out of a paper clip
And the polymer receivers loved to crack at the rear trunnion.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 12:34:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Meh....my 9mm was a jamamatic...it was not suitable for anything other than throwing.
View Quote

My first semi auto was a PF9. It jammed like every other shot. I sas very new to handguns.

10 years later I lubed it up and shot the hell out of it with no jams, functioned flawlessly.

You can't limp wrist those guns.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 12:36:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
What a great immigrant success story, I love their innovation. Also, his wife was a hottie.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/108967/7FAF71AD-3D84-4D50-9A79-C6DD1CA7341E_jpe-2239926.JPG
View Quote

Plus Issac in the background mixing their their drinks.  

Man had Boss game.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 12:40:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I like KelTec

They make a few gems.

The P32, the RDB, SU16, sub2000.
View Quote

Agree...and I'll throw in the PLR16, a 5.56 pistol that classifies as a pistol under most any regulation.  I'm mountainbiker, and I throw that P32 in the pack every time.  Neat P32 story.  On our main local trail we had a skunk that for 3 months would stand in the middle of the trail, stomp his feet like they do, and turn his rear toward you...like c'mon Mr. MTB'er, come at me!...LOL!  Finally I'd had enough and whipped out my P32.  I was a good 60' from the skunk and carefully tried a head shot.  Bam...right through the control room, and he fell over without a wiggle.  Lucky shot?...maybe a little...but the P32 with some good hollowpoint ammo is better than attacking a skunk with a stick...LOL!

I like my high capacity KSG shotgun too.  I did not like my .308 RFB.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 12:56:57 PM EDT
[#18]
No issues with them at all.  I crushed the recoil spring on my P17 under a toolbox and a very nice lady on the phone had a replacement to me inside of a week.

Their CMR 30 is pretty much my favorite  gun when walking fences.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 12:57:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Only at Arfcom...

A true "American" success story: Keltec was created by an immigrant, who married an immigrant, desgns, manufacturesand sells everything to a constant backorder.

I was in a local gun shop the other day. Laid eyes on the first 9mm Glock mag Sub 2000 I've seen in an age. They had just come in and only four remained. Yeah, Keltec is hurting.

You'd think this board was loaded 'Merica haters reading the comments.
View Quote
How much more successful would they be if they could just manage to not have the "constant backorder" problem?
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 12:59:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 1:00:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Never understood the melted hate.  I have owned several and they all worked just fine. He was the foundation of modern pocket pistol development and for that we should be thankful.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 1:04:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Never understood the melted hate.  I have owned several and they all worked just fine. He was the foundation of modern pocket pistol development and for that we should be thankful.
View Quote

They are a few quality engineers away from making great guns.   They have innovative designs but if they had better fit and finish or better materials the guns would be great.

I have a sub-2000 that goes bang every time.
I have a CP-33 that I cant even load the mags.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 1:08:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
My KSG has been great so far.
View Quote

As has my RDB17 in OD(high serial number). Not a single hiccup. Have a Nomad 30Ti in jail now for it. Really wanted to put the Nomad Ti on the 11" Bren 2 but potential for erosion with that short of barrel.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 1:08:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Junk designs + junk build quality + junk QC= junk.

Better than High Point I guess if you need a gun and are really poor.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/14/2022 1:10:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup, the under folding stock is not something I would use as a hammer, but mine always went bang and was good enough for me. I treated it like I could break  it. It felt more like a BB gun than 223.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 1:13:37 PM EDT
[#26]
I have a PMR30. It's a fun range toy. I've never gotten it to function flawlessly through an entire mag, or actually managed to get 30 rounds in a mag.
Good for running malfunction drills.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 1:23:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I have a PMR30. It's a fun range toy. I've never gotten it to function flawlessly through an entire mag, or actually managed to get 30 rounds in a mag.
View Quote

I don't see why you are having that problem, it uses the same mag as my CMR30 and it's actually possible to overload the mag if you lose count. (32)  It WILL jam in that case.

I tend to load the mags to 25 anyway, just to balance out the rounds from a 50 rd box.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 1:53:09 PM EDT
[#28]
I've had a P-11 for over 20 years. Never had an issue with mine and it soldiers today as my in-car gun. The trigger sucks. It's a tiny gun considering it holds 13 rounds total, and it's very light which makes it a bit snappy under recoil, but it's hard to beat for the price (mine was under $200 NIB) and concealability. Horrible trigger though. I consider it a very capable close-up self defense gun, period - no thoughts of 1/2" groups at 25 yards. Did I mention the trigger is horrendous?
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 1:57:31 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 2:04:22 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Innovative perhaps.  Still junk though.
View Quote

My thoughts as well. Had they focused on quality control 15 years ago, they would have been a real contender nowadays.

It's actually frightening to think that this company primarily builds aerospace parts LOL
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 2:11:29 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

My thoughts as well. Had they focused on quality control 15 years ago, they would have been a real contender nowadays.

It's actually frightening to think that this company primarily builds aerospace parts LOL
View Quote

Ruger builds aerospace parts too.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 2:13:06 PM EDT
[#32]
I still fully intend to get an RDB and a KSG. The RDB and VHS are the only bull pups I like the look of.

They have put out some flops, but I really do respect their innovation.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 2:15:00 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Ruger builds aerospace parts too.
View Quote

Ruger builds everything.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 2:23:36 PM EDT
[#34]
I like Keltec. They are always pushing the envelope. It doesnt always work but they stand behind their products. I had a PF9 that was very reliable, it was stolen sadly.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 2:38:28 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
A slight step above a hi point.
View Quote

and I hate to say it but HiPoints have proven to be decent shooters.

I like KelTec.
I love my KSG, PMR30, and CMR30
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 3:08:24 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I still fully intend to get an RDB and a KSG. The RDB and VHS are the only bull pups I like the look of.

They have put out some flops, but I really do respect their innovation.
View Quote

I've owned quite a few Keltecs over the years.  The KSG is the only one that won't run worth a damn.   I need to send it in to them one of these days and have them fix the feed issue.   The KS7 on the other hand runs great.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 3:11:53 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

People forget, but the little P32 and later P3AT completely revolutionized the "pocket pistol" genre, and the rest of the industry rushed to catch up.
View Quote

P-10
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 3:14:33 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I really want a braced CP33
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/14/2022 3:21:09 PM EDT
[#39]

Nice.  I wish someone made a smaller blade-type brace that would fit on that.  Or, if GHW made a smaller "PDW" type.

But Kudos for using a retractable instead of a folder.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 3:36:31 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:

People forget, but the little P32 and later P3AT completely revolutionized the "pocket pistol" genre, and the rest of the industry rushed to catch up.

P-10
https://pictures.gunauction.com/8448193918/fa2c3d08c187a9e5a19e4cd98fcffe25.jpg
lol  I always kind of wanted one of those.    Cool and weird.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 3:47:56 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

Kel-Tec designs are really awesome. I don't buy as much from them as I would for the same reason, but equally so because they're always out of stock of what I want...
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 5:52:17 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Nice.  I wish someone made a smaller blade-type brace that would fit on that.  Or, if GHW made a smaller "PDW" type.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Farrowtech
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 6:46:52 PM EDT
[#43]
Buddy of mine bought a few PF9s for carry - one for his wife, himself, the car, I think he had three. None of them could get through a range session. He would take them apart and work on them, never had any luck. Sold them all in one trip to the gun show.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 6:57:10 PM EDT
[#44]
I don't shoot it much anymore, but my P3AT has been a real solid performer.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 7:35:34 PM EDT
[#45]
I bought a P3AT when they first came out. It has been my summertime carry piece since.
It has been a very reliable little pistol.

It is the only Kel Tec item I’ve had but would not hesitate to buy another one just like it.
Link Posted: 1/15/2022 9:31:56 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
When you search old posts here about Kel Tecs you come across fairly frequent complaints about the guns not working. I like fun, cheap guns and that's a nice video, but the kel tecs I have seen in person were not confidence inspiring.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/15/2022 9:52:23 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I like KelTec

They make a few gems.

The P32, the RDB, SU16, sub2000.

I carry a P3AT.  Needed a break in way back when but it always worked after that.
Link Posted: 1/15/2022 9:54:17 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

I cancelled my order of the SA35 since Springfield doesn't seem to be actually getting them out and picked up a CP33.
Link Posted: 1/15/2022 10:32:48 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

They are a few quality engineers away from making great guns.   They have innovative designs but if they had better fit and finish or better materials the guns would be great.

I have a sub-2000 that goes bang every time.
I have a CP-33 that I cant even load the mags.
View Quote
This. They're hit or miss, My buddy has a P3AT and a PF-9. The P3AT runs so flawlessly that Ruger pretty much made a carbon copy, his PF-9 is finicky and not reliable. I shot my other buddy's Sub-2000 in .40 and it was fun, it didn't have any issues.

My main issue with Kel-tec is whatever polymer they use feels cheap. Their polymer legitimately feels like fisher price toy plastic, and all the exposed screws everywhere in their guns

They aren't afraid to take risks that's for sure, they should probably refine their designs a tad more before releasing most of them though.
Link Posted: 1/15/2022 10:43:36 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I like how they push the envelope and actually innovate.  There aren't a lot of US companies willing to be creative anymore.

I don't like how they leave designs unfinished before moving on to something else and don't actually produce guns in volume.  I've been hearing they are risk-averse to expansion for the last 20 years.  It's an empty excuse at this point.

I have an RDB that's pretty neat.  There's some really good aspects to the design but then some WTF half-assed elements like the mag release.

I wish them success and hope they'll be around for a while to continue driving some innovation.
View Quote

I actually liked the mag release; seemed like a well thought out feature. All you have to do to swap mags was loosen your grip a little and smack it with the backside of your strong side hand while your support hand was free to grab and jam another mag. Just cock the rifle a little and let the buttstock set in the girdle.

ETA: The one thing I didn’t like about it was the takedown. It was a deal killer and sold mine off. I must state I never had a malfunction while owning my RDB, there was just no way I knew of or could figure out to quickly remedy clearing a malf should it occur. Bad ammo, bad mags, piss poor conditions, etc. - all of things/influences out of their control but still must be able to address quickly.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top