User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/12/2024 12:21:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Jeeps-And-Guns:

AR uppers that will shoot 357, 44, and 50AE would be fucking amazing.
Have them come with mag well adapters to use desert eagle magazines.

OR if a company would just make a semi auto carbine again.
Ruger should bring back the Deerfield and also chamber it in 357, AND come with mag well adapters to use desert eagle mags (kinda like their mag well adapters for the PC carbine)

My wet dream would be a semi auto carbine with interchangeable barrels (and bolts) to be able to swap between 357, 44, and 50AE. Basically a desert eagle carbine.
View Quote

That’s what Ron did. I haven’t seen him post in a few years though. He’d sleeve DE mags into straight body 20s to use as an adapter. Uppers were $1000 or so back then.
Link Posted: 8/12/2024 10:17:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/12/2024 10:51:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Love my 44 mag !

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/17/2024 8:15:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By ALASKANFIRE:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caYiJCJp2oQ
View Quote

Sadly they do not make those any more and they were kinda one off customs back then.

I remember a thread on here at some point and these were brought up. The bolt face is so large, the lugs are basically a picket fence. I think the guy said there was a problem with the lugs breaking off after some hard use.
I think he also said he had no plans of making any more.  

I think if a company was to do it, and do it right, the better choice would be to design a new bolt and barrel extension that uses 3 lugs. Pretty much just like the desert eagle, only the bolt fits in a standard AR bolt carrier.
Or heck, design a new carrier that just uses a desert eagle bolt.
Link Posted: 8/17/2024 8:29:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Ciraxis:
Anyone make a nice leather usa made cuff for the henry that will hold a 10 rd reload?  

Henry had one on their site but I didn't care for the black elastic with the leather.
View Quote

Simply Rugged is good to go:

https://www.simplyrugged.com/store/Cartridge-Cuff-p595091299
Link Posted: 8/17/2024 8:34:17 PM EDT
[#6]

If Firefly is remade, they should get you for the armorer position.
Link Posted: 8/17/2024 8:39:41 PM EDT
[#7]
I need a lever 357 threaded for a Form1 clone of No Country For Old Men, even though it was a shotgun silencer in that movie.

Link Posted: 8/17/2024 9:33:31 PM EDT
[#8]

Sadly they do not make those any more and they were kinda one off customs back then.

I remember a thread on here at some point and these were brought up. The bolt face is so large, the lugs are basically a picket fence. I think the guy said there was a problem with the lugs breaking off after some hard use.

I think if a company was to do it, and do it right, the better choice would be to design a new bolt and barrel extension that uses 3 lugs. Pretty much just like the desert eagle, only the bolt fits in a standard AR bolt carrier.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ALASKANFIRE:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caYiJCJp2oQ

I just posted it because of the mags.
Link Posted: 8/17/2024 11:50:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By DPeacher:
Ruger/Marlin should make a lever gun in .357 Maximum.
View Quote

Problem is factory loaded ammo. They would skip that and go to 350 legend.
Link Posted: 8/18/2024 9:58:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By salsa:

View Quote

Better off with 360 Buckhammer, which Henry is chambering.
Link Posted: 8/18/2024 10:09:44 AM EDT
[#11]
My latest addition in .357

I have a Remlin in .44 but its a turds, won't cycle .44spc. I can't find a competent smith in my area to fix it.
Link Posted: 8/18/2024 4:08:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Plank_Spanker:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/381345/20240809_064056-3289744.jpg
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/381345/20240809_064112-3289746.jpg

I have a Remlin in .44 but its a turds, won't cycle .44spc. I can't find a competent smith in my area to fix it.
View Quote
@AeroE might be able to chime in on a solution.  My Remlin .44 Mag rifle would cycle .44 Specials just fine.  But I had smoothed out the action including fixing the dreaded "Marlin Jam":  http://ktgunsmith.com/marlinjam.htm
Link Posted: 8/18/2024 6:08:34 PM EDT
[#13]
My father had an original 1892 in 44-40. It was an early model with a 4 digit serial number. It was used in the settling of central Utah. It was in about the shape you think a pioneer rifle would be in. But still functional. The action was very smooth. With almost a hundred years of use. My little brother got it when Dad passed and I got the 1940’s 30-30. Which I have given to my son. But I really liked the old 44-40. So I found a Rossi someone had for sale in 38-357, and bought it. It’s a fun little gun as it was owned by someone that did a little CAS with it. So it’s a little smoother than an out of box model. And the bolt safety was removed. Over the last few years I’ve really wanted an 1873 in 38-357. I finally got mine this weekend. A carbine version Uberti. I really like it and it shoots pretty accurate. It even has a flip up long range rear sight. I shot both 357 and 38 through it. The flip up sight is calibrated to 357. So you just about go up another hundred when shooting 38 over a hundred yards. Yeah you’re likely not going to kill anything under 200yds but it’s fun to test the reach. Which was about 300. for where we were shooting. The downside to the Uberti is the horrendous 10# trigger pull.
In comparison the two are both fairly accurate to 100 yards. The 1873 flip up sight gives it an advantage over the Rossi in longer distances. The fit and finish of the guns are night and day. Hands down the Uberti wins in this department. But the weird thing about both rifles are that neither one has a consistent finish. The Rossi has a case hardened receiver but everything else is blued. The Uberti has a blued finish but the Lever and trigger are case hardened. I don’t get that. Not sure if that was a thing in the 1800’s, or just being lazy with the new production stuff? Bottom line, pistol cartridge rifles can be fun to shoot. Hopefully I can get the trigger pull issue figured out with a lighter hammer spring on the 1873.
Link Posted: 8/18/2024 6:33:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AeroE] [#14]
Link Posted: 8/18/2024 7:16:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Any of you clowns bought a G-Force Huckleberry in 357?   I've watched a few of the YouTube videos, but I'm curious if anybody also owns a Rossi R92 and has some longer term experience for comparison?
Link Posted: 8/18/2024 7:33:01 PM EDT
[#16]
my lever/single action combo:

Link Posted: 8/18/2024 8:20:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: M2K] [#17]

.357 Maximum.  I have a bunch of cases and even some reloads. I got it in estate sale. Waiting to run across somebody who actually shot it.
Link Posted: 8/18/2024 8:31:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By hoss622:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By hoss622:
Originally Posted By salsa:

The .360 makes a lot of sense to me.

200 at 2200’ ought to be easy from a 20”. 2300 might be possible with lil’gun.

Several shots of that ought to fix most anything.
Link Posted: 8/18/2024 9:32:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By arowneragain:

The .360 makes a lot of sense to me.

200 at 2200’ ought to be easy from a 20”. 2300 might be possible with lil’gun.

Several shots of that ought to fix most anything.
View Quote

If I didn't already have a .45/70 and a .44 magnum lever gun, I'd be looking into that.  Ohio is a straight walled rifle cartridge state.
Link Posted: 8/19/2024 1:45:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By AeroE:

Describe "won't feed".

Since that's a fairly new rifle, I would go through the bolt, trigger, carrier, lever and the inside of the receiver looking for burrs, the carrier might not need rework.  I would ease the nose of the cam on the lever where it bears on the carrier; remove the sharp edge and no more.

If the carrier has a tiny line where the cam contacts, there are three or four ways to fix the problem.  The operation symptom is double feeding.  I have a fix I want to try but I have been too cheap to order a pack of heat treated carbon steel shim stock in small sheets.

Shortening the magazine spring is popular.  I have not tried that and won't unless I have a spare spring on hand.

There are several excellent YouTube videos that walk through disassembly and the light rework.  The key is to barely touch the parts with stones, no rotary tools, and no high polish until you know what you're doing.  You're looking to smooth the action, and that will follow by just kissing the rough surfaces and removing burrs.

Look at the assembly from every angle and direction after the stocks are off.  Look at every part the same way and understand the mechanism function as you go.

Or, send the gun down the road and buy a Ruger.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AeroE:
Originally Posted By Merlin:
Originally Posted By Plank_Spanker:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/381345/20240809_064056-3289744.jpg
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/381345/20240809_064112-3289746.jpg

@AeroE might be able to chime in on a solution.  My Remlin .44 Mag rifle would cycle .44 Specials just fine.  But I had smoothed out the action including fixing the dreaded "Marlin Jam":  http://ktgunsmith.com/marlinjam.htm

Describe "won't feed".

Since that's a fairly new rifle, I would go through the bolt, trigger, carrier, lever and the inside of the receiver looking for burrs, the carrier might not need rework.  I would ease the nose of the cam on the lever where it bears on the carrier; remove the sharp edge and no more.

If the carrier has a tiny line where the cam contacts, there are three or four ways to fix the problem.  The operation symptom is double feeding.  I have a fix I want to try but I have been too cheap to order a pack of heat treated carbon steel shim stock in small sheets.

Shortening the magazine spring is popular.  I have not tried that and won't unless I have a spare spring on hand.

There are several excellent YouTube videos that walk through disassembly and the light rework.  The key is to barely touch the parts with stones, no rotary tools, and no high polish until you know what you're doing.  You're looking to smooth the action, and that will follow by just kissing the rough surfaces and removing burrs.

Look at the assembly from every angle and direction after the stocks are off.  Look at every part the same way and understand the mechanism function as you go.

Or, send the gun down the road and buy a Ruger.

It's been awhile since I had it worked on but it would lock up & you would have to push the next round back into the tube with a small screwdriver thru the loading gate to get the action to cycle.
It would be my preference to send it off to a qualified smith to have the work done. I mean, I know my limitations. I can't in good conscious send it down the road to make it someone else's problem.
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top