Ah damn, gotta be faster than that.
Link Posted: 12/24/2022 4:58:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/24/2022 5:04:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Sigh.

Yeah probably, and the WING WONG 5 and VODKA 12 are the only operational hypersonic missiles.
View Quote

Yep the US sucks and can't even keep a secret about anything and the government never lies about advanced weapons tech. It's ridiculous and outrageous.
Link Posted: 12/24/2022 5:05:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
So, a 100 kiloton warhead misses if it's off by 150 meters?

Those missile silos must be pretty tough.
View Quote

That's kind of the point
Link Posted: 12/24/2022 5:10:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Yep the US sucks and can't even keep a secret about anything and the government never lies about advanced weapons tech. It's ridiculous and outrageous.
View Quote

Well the tech has been around since the 1980's, chances are the Russians are aware of it. As far as secrets go, this probably on the back end.
Link Posted: 12/24/2022 5:13:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
So, a 100 kiloton warhead misses if it's off by 150 meters?

Those missile silos must be pretty tough.
View Quote

Finest Soviet craftsmanship.
Link Posted: 12/24/2022 5:17:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Big shots try to hold it back, fools try to wish it away.

The hopeful depend on a world without end.....
Link Posted: 12/24/2022 5:20:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Well the tech has been around since the 1980's, chances are the Russians are aware of it. As far as secrets go, this probably on the back end.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So has the F22 yet the kung pao commies and the vodka commies haven't figured that out yet either lmao

Link Posted: 12/24/2022 5:25:23 PM EDT
[#11]
D5 had a rough start but has worked out well
Link Posted: 12/24/2022 5:38:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
That pic with the Christmas lights on the warheads made me literally lol.
View Quote

Why’s there no star on top?

Because the star is inside…
Link Posted: 12/24/2022 5:39:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

So has the F22 yet the kung pao commies and the vodka commies haven't figured that out yet either lmao

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/425212/1647981444918-2322773.jpg
View Quote

“Figuring it out” is the first problem
Tech can be stolen.

Actually producing a reliable system based on that tech is where the Russians and Chicoms fail.
Link Posted: 12/24/2022 5:45:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

From this it derives a difference or error
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It also knows where it isn’t..

From this it derives a difference or error

I love this place.
Link Posted: 12/24/2022 5:48:37 PM EDT
[#15]
OP thanks for posting. Back in the day I was on the Trident II implementation team.
Link Posted: 12/24/2022 8:28:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Still don't understand it, but guess the warhead can somehow tell it's miss distance as it gets close to impact and figures out the best time and height to burst.
View Quote

It's using radar to determine it's actual trajectory versus the location of the desired target, and detonating at the point in that trajectory that delivers the maximum pressure to the intended hard target point. This is mostly for silos but could also be useful against other hardened ground targets.

With this fuse one would actually aim beyond the target instead of right at it, to almost guarantee that the warhead will go though the "dome" of effective detonation points.
Link Posted: 12/24/2022 10:53:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Article talks about Trident, but that's an old Minuteman three-banger bus with Mk12As.  

Still making it my wallpaper, though.  
View Quote

LOL Maybe not walpaper but I got my uses for that there crimmas pic. Wish they'd a used colored lights at least and covered up that ratty pallet it's sitting on. Sheesh, eleventy gajillion bucks of my tax dollars there sitting on a damn wood pallet. Not even the Army was that cheap! We didn't have no mirv's in the Army tho....
Link Posted: 12/24/2022 11:11:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Big shots try to hold it back, fools try to wish it away.

The hopeful depend on a world without end.....
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/25/2022 12:01:23 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

It's using radar to determine it's actual trajectory versus the location of the desired target, and detonating at the point in that trajectory that delivers the maximum pressure to the intended hard target point. This is mostly for silos but could also be useful against other hardened ground targets.

With this fuse one would actually aim beyond the target instead of right at it, to almost guarantee that the warhead will go though the "dome" of effective detonation points.
View Quote

Correct. When you are trying to maximize the overpressure, you want to combine both the incident wave and the reflected wave.
So calculating the best spot to maximize the overpressure typically means you want to be a specific distance away from the target.
https://atomicarchive.com/resources/documents/effects/glasstone-dolan/chapter3.html
Link Posted: 12/25/2022 1:03:29 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
OP thanks for posting. Back in the day I was on the Trident II implementation team.
View Quote

@thebomber I find this stuff fascinating.
Link Posted: 12/25/2022 1:04:54 AM EDT
[#21]
You can't hug a child with nuclear arms.
Link Posted: 12/25/2022 1:06:49 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Correct. When you are trying to maximize the overpressure, you want to combine both the incident wave and the reflected wave.
So calculating the best spot to maximize the overpressure typically means you want to be a specific distance away from the target.
https://atomicarchive.com/resources/documents/effects/glasstone-dolan/chapter3.html
View Quote

@LordEC911
The system wants to be within a specific distance to the target to create 10,000 psi on target.
Link Posted: 12/25/2022 8:14:32 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

As do I. Back in the mid 80s I was just out of college and a Process Control Engineer for GE Aerospace. We were fielding the very first Trident II fire control systems and IMUs. A sister Division made thevre-entry vehicles.

This was state of the art to say the least. My job required me to be in test berths which required me to get cleared. Very exciting for a 23 year old just out of college.
Link Posted: 12/25/2022 8:28:41 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 12/25/2022 8:58:58 AM EDT
[#25]
Interesting.... Aren't the Chinese building one hell of a dense packed silo field now?
Link Posted: 12/25/2022 9:47:38 AM EDT
[#26]
Put on some Doobie Brothers

Assymetrically, it will all come together
Link Posted: 12/25/2022 12:39:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Nuke Thread

View Quote
You should be banned for posting a picture of that faggot.

Link Posted: 12/25/2022 12:43:50 PM EDT
[#28]
"Russian hardened targets 3 fold."

When did we Declare war on Russia` why not China?
Link Posted: 12/25/2022 12:51:54 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
"Russian hardened targets 3 fold."

When did we Declare war on Russia` why not China?
View Quote

Last I checked we hadn’t declared war on either.

Although I suspect the technology can be used against Chinese targets as well as Russian ones.
Link Posted: 12/25/2022 3:35:08 PM EDT
[#30]
Or you could fly a B2/B21 over and drop a couple Hatchets to damage the lid mechanism for the silo so that it can't open. One bomber could carry enough Hatchets to disable the whole silo network.
Link Posted: 12/25/2022 4:27:09 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Or you could fly a B2/B21 over and drop a couple Hatchets to damage the lid mechanism for the silo so that it can't open. One bomber could carry enough Hatchets to disable the whole silo network.
View Quote

Missile Silo Opening & Launch

Yep. Hatchets to the doors and they're all fucked.
Link Posted: 12/25/2022 4:32:58 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, I get it but, it would still be nice if we could keep secrets a little better than we do . . .
Link Posted: 12/25/2022 4:43:34 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Yeah, I get it but, it would still be nice if we could keep secrets a little better than we do . . .
View Quote

How would you know how well the important secrets are kept?  

Link Posted: 12/25/2022 4:45:32 PM EDT
[#34]
Think about SpaceX landing the Falcon 9's boosters on those ships at sea.

Then add in the same thing but with a multiple warheads launched from ONE ballistic missle.

You start thinking the destruction just one arm of our nuclear force can do.

Link Posted: 12/26/2022 9:41:11 PM EDT
[#35]
Upgrading the W88 as well

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top