Quoted:
Barbacoa and a little bit of cheese.
View Quote
Just a leetle cilantro.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 11:05:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Birria Tacos are best tacos. Meat , cheese, onion, cilantro, tortilla dipped in meat juice then fried.

Then you dip the whole thing in meat juice again and enjoy.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/329281/5367B59E-CCFB-480F-9227-CB493ABFAC03_jpe-1921656.JPG
View Quote

This guy knows whats up....
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 11:18:21 PM EDT
[#3]
What? No tripas?
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 12:02:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Just no fish.

Gross stuff doesn't belong in tacos.

Whoever invited that was probably a democrat.
View Quote

Fish tacos are awesome, the battered fish stick style was invented in San Diego. Delicious.

The del Taco fish taco, one of the best things in a fast food restaurant around.

Grilled fish also makes a good taco, sabrosa!

Link Posted: 4/28/2021 12:09:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Fish tacos that I have regularly (not my pic)
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 12:10:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/342434/Corazonft_png-1921775.JPG
View Quote

Nice nails bro
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 12:11:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Nice nails bro
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/342434/Corazonft_png-1921775.JPG

Nice nails bro

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 12:30:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Grilled, raw, or caramelized onions; grilled, sautéed, or raw hot peppers; cilantro; lime juice (sometimes, with some stuff); cotija cheese; and a tasty, hot salsa are what go in my tacos.  Lettuce is fine on a hard taco, I guess.  It doesn't really need it, though.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 12:33:53 AM EDT
[#9]
I like to make fish tacos every few months.  

I get the beer battered fish filets you bake in the oven.

I use two of the white corn tortillas, and I soften them up in the microwave.

I top them with home made pico, which I make with roma tomatoes, onions, cilantro, a little lime juice, and a dash of garlic powder and cumin.

I also make a sauce with about a half cup mayo and a half cup sour cream.  Into that goes a dash of chipotle powder, a dash of cumin, some garlic powder, salt, black pepper, minced pickled jalapeno slices and a teaspoon of the juice from the jalapeno jar, and a healthy few dashes of Cholula hot sauce.  I never measure anything but it comes out pretty consistent every time.

The tortillas go down on the plate, then the fish, then the sauce and pico, and finally some shredded cabbage.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 12:35:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Fish tacos are awesome, the battered fish stick style was invented in San Diego. Delicious.

The del Taco fish taco, one of the best things in a fast food restaurant around.

https://deltaco.com/files/menu/item/1-thumb_beerbatteredfishtaco.jpg?v=3.992

https://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/11/f8/2b/1f/fish-taco.jpg

Grilled fish also makes a good taco, sabrosa!

https://www.curiouscuisiniere.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Fish-Tacos-1816.21.jpg

View Quote

There isn't a Del Taco within 80 miles of me but I make it a point to get some fish tacos there every time I'm near one.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 1:17:48 AM EDT
[#11]
Corn tortilla, beer battered halibut or rockfish, shredded cabbage, diced tomato, sriracha, cotija cheese.  
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 1:24:55 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Bacon, egg, and cheese taquito from Whataburger for the win!

View Quote

Pro tip: order some hash browns and throw them in.  Now you have bacon, egg, potato, and cheese tacos.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 1:38:39 AM EDT
[#13]
Going with the intent of the op for shelf stable ingredients:

You’re going to need a tortilla, so flour, a shelf stable fat like lard, salt, baking powder, and potable water.  You could keep canned chicken, fish, or spam for meats.  Maybe use the liquid from the cans to make your tortillas and save water?  Veggies are going to be pickled cabbage, onions, tomatoes, and jalapeños.  You could use canned cheese sauce or processed cheese food for a dairy.  Try freeze dried cilantro for garnish.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 2:43:34 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

You’re going to need a tortilla, so flour, a shelf stable fat like lard, salt, baking powder, and potable water.  You could keep canned chicken, fish, or spam for meats.  Maybe use the liquid from the cans to make your tortillas and save water?  Veggies are going to be pickled cabbage, onions, tomatoes, and jalapeños.  You could use canned cheese sauce or processed cheese food for a dairy.  Try freeze dried cilantro for garnish.
View Quote

The most grotesque food response yet.

Link Posted: 4/28/2021 2:50:10 AM EDT
[#15]

Link Posted: 4/28/2021 2:54:04 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Reading is fundamental.  The OP isn’t asking what your favorite taco is.  He’s not even asking what makes a great taco.  He’s asking if the meteor hits tomorrow, what can he keep on the shelf so that he can eat tacos in the post apocalypse.  Pretend it’s, “The Road,” and you’re trying to have taco Tuesday for your kid.  How do you do it?
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 2:58:59 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
We chop up onion and cilantro and mix it together with some lime juice and garlic. Let it sit in the fridge for a couple hours before use.

That with a little cheese or sour cream is all I usually put on there.

I use this a lot too:

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61yHY59qwoL._SL1000_.jpg

View Quote

You have spoken the truth. The truth is real. Herdez is. It is life.

Every time I cook Migas or Papas con Juevos it goes on. I did chorizo but that shit murders my stove with grease
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 4:25:35 AM EDT
[#18]
Taco Bell for the win!
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 4:34:29 AM EDT
[#19]
This thread has me craving tacos at 3:34am.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 5:07:14 AM EDT
[#20]
Avocado, cilantro, diced onions and hot sauce.  Nothing more is needed for a good carne asada taco on a homemade flour tortilla (double).

None of that is shelf stable though except the hot sauce.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 5:09:43 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Just no fish.

View Quote

lol
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 5:18:19 AM EDT
[#22]
depends on the taco

Usually onion, cilantro and jalapeno. Sometimes pico and guac.

Lately, grilled then caramelized onion with strips of roasted poblano pepper.

If I want some sort of crema I usually will blend up a couple of chipotle in adobo from a can in sour cream or mexican table cream.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 5:26:27 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Birria Tacos are best tacos. Meat , cheese, onion, cilantro, tortilla dipped in meat juice then fried.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/329281/5367B59E-CCFB-480F-9227-CB493ABFAC03_jpe-1921656.JPG
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/28/2021 5:35:56 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Just no fish.

View Quote

I'm not generally a fish kind of guy.  Really, I pretty much avoid it whenever possible.  But, fish tacos...on the beach in Mexico... are a force to be reckoned with.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 5:38:53 AM EDT
[#25]
You are.going to burn in hell!

Link Posted: 4/28/2021 5:41:49 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

That looks awesome.  
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 5:43:47 AM EDT
[#27]
OP is either trolling or it's truly sad if that's what he thinks tacos are made of.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 10:24:57 AM EDT
[#28]
When I make em, shredded cabbage, pico, guac, melted Oaxaca queso and hot sauce.

Link Posted: 4/28/2021 10:34:34 AM EDT
[#29]
I like to fry up canned hominy in butter till they are crisp and put them in my tacos.  

Adds a nice flavor and texture.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 10:36:20 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 10:37:35 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Just no fish.

View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 10:42:14 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

It’s a thing. And it’s good. Never had it on a taco but love an al pastor burrito.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_pastor
View All Quotes
Quoted:

It’s a thing. And it’s good. Never had it on a taco but love an al pastor burrito.

Grilled pineapple is awesome on tacos al pastor!  

On beef or barbacoa I like shredded cabbage, cilantro, onion, and thin sliced radish. A little spicy tomatillo or chipotle sauce to kick it up a notch sometimes.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 10:48:06 AM EDT
[#33]
A welcome change would be less is more.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 10:50:33 AM EDT
[#34]
I started making my own corn tortillas and they are so much better. Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 10:58:26 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Mainly taco fixings.

My normal go to are lettuce, tomatoes, maybe onion, cheese and sour cream. I don't use much "taco sauce" any more since I started using beef broth instead of water with the taco season, sauce is not needed.

Now the purpose of this thread is to come up with options that are pantry stable. A Meteor could hit on Friday, which mean none of the above for Taco Tuesday.
Sure, I can substitute fresh tomatoes for canned tomatoes with chilies or plan old canned salsa and canned cheese sauce but I'm looking for other ideas.

Beans are on the table.
View Quote

That sounds like a midwestern taco.

Peppers, carmelized onions, cilantro, rojo sauce, some machaca and a bit of queso, and some kind of shredded tenderized meat (let's just agree that a good marinated/slow cooked barbacoa is the right answer). <-----proper taco
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 11:00:06 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Al Pastor - very nice!
View Quote

Al Pastor is indeed the best taco there is.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 11:00:18 AM EDT
[#37]
If you are using a seasoning pack that says "Tacos" on it, then you are not making tacos. You are putting spicy sloppy joes in a flour tortilla.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 11:01:50 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 11:05:02 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Reading is fundamental.  The OP isn’t asking what your favorite taco is.  He’s not even asking what makes a great taco.  He’s asking if the meteor hits tomorrow, what can he keep on the shelf so that he can eat tacos in the post apocalypse.  Pretend it’s, “The Road,” and you’re trying to have taco Tuesday for your kid.  How do you do it?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I guess RIF, I didn't read past the first sentence in the OP and went right to what makes a good taco.

So the above, could substitute masa for the flour and make corn tortillas too. The canned meats aren't a bad idea but it will be more important to have topping ingredients and enhancers should it go past what's in the pantry to making tacos out of whatever meat is available.

I'd recommend lots of cans of diced green chile (good source of vitimin C too) Huge bottles of hot sauce (Tapatio, Valentina, or the like) a little goes on the finished taco, but this is more important as the marinade.

If you're going to grill the meat (Beef, pork, venison, elk, chicken, quail, rabbit ,dove, rat, pigeon, raccoon) drown the meat in hot sauce for a while, then grill it. If it's going to be pan cooked, cut way back on the hot sauce in the marinade unless you're cooking something nasty and you don't want to taste it.

Important seasonings that will be shelf stable, Chili powder (or a shit ton of dried chilies and grind your own) cumin, dried onion and dried garlic salt, pepper.

Mayonnaise is also shelf stable, at least until opened. This sounds gross, but mixed with a little water and hot sauce will make a fine sour cream like topping.

A shelf stable aged cheese like Parmesan will make a decent substitute for Cotija  sprinkled on a finished taco.

The most important thing, if you want to make tacos forever, first learn how to make tortillas. Everything you put in a tortilla is a taco.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 11:05:40 AM EDT
[#40]
I'm a purist.

Cilantro, onions and lime.

Burritos, different story
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 11:07:16 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

Good lord, never seen or heard of that before.

That looks awesome !
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 11:09:49 AM EDT
[#42]
I'm a simple man (actually, treading dangerously close to Thorazine territory.)

Ortega hard shells.
Ground chuck.
Any brand of powdered taco seasoning - add extra cayenne pepper and Ancho chili powder.

Diced tomato
Lettuce
Pickled jalapenos
Diced onion
Shredded Kraft Mexican blend cheese
NO CILANTRO.  

Extra fillings get stuffed into a soft flour tortilla.

Nom Nom.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 11:11:15 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Canned Pineapple, on a taco? https://www.ar15.com/images/smilies/smiley_confused.gif

Someone ban this guy
View All Quotes

That doesn't look like canned pineapple.

For Pastor tacos they usually have a chunk of pineapple and cut a piece or two or three from it for each taco.

Link Posted: 4/28/2021 11:12:15 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
That's a gyro.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's a thing. And it's good. Never had it on a taco but love an al pastor burrito.

That's a gyro.

Link Posted: 4/28/2021 11:24:21 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

The Ensenada-style fish taco, or "battered fish stick style", was invented in the early 60s in a fish market called El Mercado Negro, in the town of Ensenada, Baja California.
The myth that they were invented in SD came from a restaurant owner there who claimed to have invented them in the 80s.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 11:41:50 AM EDT
[#47]
I love tacos. And Burritos. And Gorditas.

There's a little local Mexican grocery store near me that has THE BEST Gorditas. I prefer the Carne Asada, but will also eat Lengua, El Pastor, ground beef, grilled chicken, fish, shrimp, chorizo....ehhh, anything. Pulled pork BBQ and beef brisket also make excellent tacos and burritos (with slaw and beans).

Possibly the best tacos I ever had were on my honeymoon in Costa Rica. We grabbed lunch at a hole in the wall. A local fisherman had brought in a Marlin the day before and we had fresh Marlin tacos. Yum.

Link Posted: 4/28/2021 12:06:10 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I love tacos. And Burritos. And Gorditas.

There's a little local Mexican grocery store near me that has THE BEST Gorditas. I prefer the Carne Asada, but will also eat Lengua, El Pastor, ground beef, grilled chicken, fish, shrimp, chorizo....ehhh, anything. Pulled pork BBQ and beef brisket also make excellent tacos and burritos (with slaw and beans).

Possibly the best tacos I ever had were on my honeymoon in Costa Rica. We grabbed lunch at a hole in the wall. A local fisherman had brought in a Marlin the day before and we had fresh Marlin tacos. Yum.
View Quote

Marlin is delicioso!
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 12:54:48 PM EDT
[#49]
onions I prefer white but red/yellow are good too
cilantro
salsa
and sometimes crumbled anejo enchilado cheese,Oxaca cheese is also good

we usually marinate the onions/cilantro in a little lime juice
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 2:58:00 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

Where is this, looks fantastic!
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top