Link Posted: 2/4/2021 5:11:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

To disprove that false belief.
View Quote

How thick are you dude?

No one here was talking about it.

It needed no disproving until you brought it up.

If this place gets infected with such retardation its because you are patient zero.

Why are you not where you heard it?

Go there.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 5:14:38 PM EDT
[#2]
If you look past the nostalgia, lever guns just plain suck.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 5:16:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

How thick are you dude?

No one here was talking about it.

It needed no disproving until you brought it up.

If this place gets infected with such retardation its because you are patient zero.

Why are you not where you heard it?

Go there.
View Quote

Take it down a notch your getting pissed off over nothing.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 5:17:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote

You thought AR-15.com needed your insight?
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 5:18:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Auto > Semi Auto > Lever Action > Bolt Action > Pump > Single Shot > Stick
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 5:20:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

OP is right to worry about us

Link Posted: 2/4/2021 5:22:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

You do realize that 100% of archived threads before 2020 are gone here right?
This thread is to dispel a flawed idea that mainly fudds spread around.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 5:22:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 5:26:57 PM EDT
[#9]

The double wasn't enough.  Needed to be quadrupled.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 5:27:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/KR0pycm.gif
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/KR0pycm.gif

Boy that thing is compact! Urge to get a Rossi 92 rising...
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 5:29:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Looks like 2021 may be a good year for us 20'ers

Lever guns suppress better than semis and have a nice slim profile. Some have pretty simple designs (Marlin 336), and can handle pretty powerful cartridges.

Semis are overall better for most things, especially as a defensive rifle. .458 Socom still doesn't do what 45-70 will though.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 5:33:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Lever guns suppress better than semis and have a nice slim profile. Some have pretty simple designs (Marlin 336), and can handle pretty powerful cartridges.

Semis are overall better for most things, especially as a defensive rifle. .458 Socom still doesn't do what 45-70 will though.
View Quote

Within 100-150 yards I'll take a .458 Socom any day over a 45-70.   Past those ranges then yeah a 45-70 will excel.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 5:36:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Within 100-150 yards I'll take a .458 Socom any day over a 45-70.   Past those ranges then yeah a 45-70 will excel.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Serious question because I don't have any experience with either caliber.  100-150 yards isn't that significant, so why not just use 45-70 across the board?
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 5:38:13 PM EDT
[#14]

The top one is a god awful piece of shit. The other two are bitchin
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 5:41:08 PM EDT
[#15]
I don't care. I love shooting my Henry.
Long time ago, I posited that as a trunk gun, a lever action will give better optics and perhaps not get you shot as readily as an evil black rifle. With one you are a citizen cowboy, the other is a terrorist. Might lessen the Karen factor.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 5:42:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

and you're worried everyone (who created that content by the way) would suddenly forget why this is the forum they frequent?
I think you are a fudd plant/troll, here just to get and keep people talking about leverguns, because you secretly think they are superior.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 5:43:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Serious question because I don't have any experience with either caliber.  100-150 yards isn't that significant, so why not just use 45-70 across the board?
View Quote

Semi-Auto/AR platform for a defensive weapon.  Rarely would you need it to be a long range weapon.  

I built one for when I am in Grizzly country.  45-70 you are limited to lever action or single shot.  I'll take a .458 Socom with 11 round magazine any day for being out in the woods.  I'm not shooting Buffalo with it.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 5:44:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Semi-Auto/AR platform for a defensive weapon.  Rarely would you need it to be a long range weapon.  

I built one for when I am in Grizzly country.  45-70 you are limited to lever action or single shot.  I'll take a .458 Socom with 11 round magazine any day for being out in the woods.  I'm not shooting Buffalo with it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Got it.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 5:52:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Never heard an argument that a lever action is better than a semi. Something they have an advantage on is bad-ass cartridges over what most semis are chambered for. Otherwise, can't see one advantage of the LA.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 5:55:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I would actually take a lever gun over my AR15 if I had to choose.

Have shot over 10k rounds in AR15 rifles. Not a boomer. Have shot nice BCM/DD/KAC rifles, with cans, red dots, scopes, etc.

ARs have certain advantages, I agree
View Quote

Not a boomer, but definitely a DA…
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 5:55:40 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

I suppose it depends on what you're using it for. 45-70 is just an incredibly versatile cartridge and can be loaded light to super heavy. It is certainly capable of taking any land animal, though I am not sure that .458 Socom has been taken to Africa
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 5:59:35 PM EDT
[#23]
This didn't go the way OP had planned
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 5:59:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

and you're worried everyone (who created that content by the way) would suddenly forget why this is the forum they frequent?
I think you are a fudd plant/troll, here just to get and keep people talking about leverguns, because you secretly think they are superior.
View Quote

Your making that accusation because I stated that lever action rifles are better suited for hunting and recreational activities instead of serious self defense use?

Link Posted: 2/4/2021 6:00:32 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Lever guns are better than semi autos!

Now you've read that too

message concluded
BigMat
View Quote

Thanks BigMat!

end of appreciation
mudholestomper
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 6:00:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I knew op would be 20er at the oldest before I clicked.
View Quote

This. Just another junior poster parroting the obvious.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 6:02:46 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Got it.  Thanks.
View Quote

Your Welcome.  Believe me, I'v tried to talk myself into getting a lever 45-70 several times and I can't justify it.  I've so tried to talk myself into getting a 45-70 for several years.  I have no idea what I would do with a rifle like that except for target shooting.  I suppose shooting an elk with one with open sights would be fun sometime.  With that said I've settled on 44 mag lever guns for their versatility.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 6:03:49 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

I can't help when some posters are narrow minded and see everything they like being constructively criticized as a personal attack on them when that is far from the truth.
At no point did I state that lever action rifles are useless I simply stated that they are outclassed by semi auto rifles for self defense/SHTF use.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 6:05:09 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I can't help when some posters are narrow minded and see everything they like being constructively criticized as a personal attack on them when that is far from the truth.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I mean...

what WAS the point of this thread?
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 6:07:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I mean...

what WAS the point of this thread?
View Quote

To dispel the myth going around the internet that lever action rifles are just as good as semi auto rifles for serious self defense use.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 6:12:00 PM EDT
[#31]
Still waiting for the list of fragile parts in a lever gun, by Make & Model to compare to the EBR which apparently doesn't have any. Other than ammo capacity/reload speed they're as equal as two different platforms could be.
I'd venture the Op has never seen a SASS Champion work a lever gun.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 6:15:00 PM EDT
[#32]
People that don’t know what they’re talking about often say things that don’t make sense?

No way.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 6:17:14 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Your making that accusation because I stated that lever action rifles are better suited for hunting and recreational activities instead of serious self defense use?

View Quote

Yes
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 6:18:40 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Still waiting for the list of fragile parts in a lever gun, by Make & Model to compare to the EBR which apparently doesn't have any. Other than ammo capacity/reload speed they're as equal as two different platforms could be.
I'd venture the Op has never seen a SASS Champion work a lever gun.
View Quote

SASS is recreation not dirt and grit SHTF combat get back to me with an example of one holding up to serious use.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 6:23:04 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I'm a dirty '15er myself but 2020-21 is turning me into one of those members that looks at people's info and go "oh no they're a 20'er"

Seriously, what's up lately with people starting all these "uh, no shit?" threads?

Quoted:
You are literally the only person I've ever heard bring this up.

Same, though I have seen a few people saying that having a lever gun and matching revolver is a good idea in case you have to give up your semis, but honestly if you're not willing to hold onto your BCM & Glock in the face of a ban then you aren't going to be using your Marlin & SW either.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 6:26:44 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

THAT'S WHAT THEY WAHT YOU TO THINK

Big Lever is at it again.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 6:27:03 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 6:27:32 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I'm a dirty '15er myself but 2020-21 is turning me into one of those members that looks at people's info and go "oh no they're a 20'er"

Seriously, what's up lately with people starting all these "uh, no shit?" threads?

Same, though I have seen a few people saying that having a lever gun and matching revolver is a good idea in case you have to give up your semis, but honestly if you're not willing to hold onto your BCM & Glock in the face of a ban then you aren't going to be using your Marlin & SW either.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I agree with that, those folks who turned in their semi autos will do the same with their revolver and lever rifle no balls just a big mouth.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ime09uh01-k
This video is a good explanation about the disadvantages of lever action rifles.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 6:33:17 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

You're going to have fun here.

Quoted:

To dispel the myth going around the internet that lever action rifles are just as good as semi auto rifles for serious self defense use.

Except....it isn't. This isn't a myth going around the internet. It certainly isn't a myth going around arfcom. I know you think you know best and you're trying to protect us all from the big scary threat of poor financial decisions with gun purchases, but maybe take a minute to look at your post count and join date, look at the post count and join date of everyone else here, and then take some time to comb through the rest of the site and get a feel for where exactly you are before you start popping off with inane threads and getting upset that people are laughing at you for a take that stands out more obviously than a nun at a pride march. It's ar15.com, not farmersonly.com, no one here is thinking that lever actions are superior.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 6:35:15 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Yes
View Quote

Your taking this personally instead of taking a step back and reexamining the points I made with an objective approach.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 6:37:16 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Except....it isn't. This isn't a myth going around the internet. It certainly isn't a myth going around arfcom.
View Quote

I don't know man.

I personally, myself, knew a guy that heard it fourth hand, that Brownells was renaming the forum to leveractionsarebetterthanar15.com.

OP might be on to something!
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 6:39:37 PM EDT
[#42]
This dumbass thread reminds me, I need to buy a Marlin 39A.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 6:40:25 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I hear this statement being spewed much more often on gun forums this is really disingenuous and are just boot licking to gun control.
If lever action rifles were so great and just as good as semi-auto rifles why aren't police and government agencies still using them since over 80+ years.
I see them useful for a bear gun such as the 45-70 guide rifle for camp protection against grizzly bear but not for SHTF combat or against multiple adversaries.
Semi-auto rifles are generally much more reliable/durable than lever action rifles which have more complex and fragile components that can break and render it inoperable in a high stress situation.
That being said there is nothing wrong with lever guns if you know there limitations and can accept what they are good at.
End Message
GabrielShear1
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/4/2021 6:40:49 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I don't know man.

I personally, myself, knew a guy that heard it fourth hand, that Brownells was renaming the forum to leveractionsarebetterthanar15.com.

OP might be on to something!
View Quote

HE TRIED TO WARN US BUT WE WOULDN'T LISTEN! Oh the humanity!
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 6:42:27 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes, yes you do. My FV-T gets out a ton more than this one does just because I focus on practice a lot more than fun shooting, but damn is the 39A Golden a fun gun to shoot. Probably going to see about taking it to the range next time after this thread.

Link Posted: 2/4/2021 6:42:53 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

For hunting white tail deer and taking it to the range.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 6:44:22 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

Quoted:
Your Welcome.  Believe me, I'v tried to talk myself into getting a lever 45-70 several times and I can't justify it.  I've so tried to talk myself into getting a 45-70 for several years.  I have no idea what I would do with a rifle like that except for target shooting.  I suppose shooting an elk with one with open sights would be fun sometime.  With that said I've settled on 44 mag lever guns for their versatility.
View Quote

Do you find a lever action or AR working better in severe cold?
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 6:45:40 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or for whatever he wants.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 6:47:01 PM EDT
[#49]
I bet OP has heard that 9mm is just as good as .45 acp as well.

Just wait until antifa get all hopped up from injecting pot needles.  A .45 acp will blow them clean across the room, even if you hit their arm.  

9mm will just go right through, even a head shot won’t hurt.  They’ll keep coming.

Ever heard of the Moro Rebellion and Juramentados?
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 6:49:26 PM EDT
[#50]
I said that to myself when I bought the 22mag on the left recently.

Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top