User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/10/2020 9:32:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Pacific Islanders do not do well with a grain based diet.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

New Zealand is next to us as far as the health epidemic is concerned.  

If you have amazon prime, check out “That Sugar Film” and “Is Sugar the New Fat”?

Based out of New Zealand, but it obviously applies to America since they’re basically living our diet.  

The state of many countries and their associated health epidemic is sad.

Pacific Islanders do not do well with a grain based diet.

And neither do we.  

People need to wake up, and understand that AHA, USDA and ADA guidelines are fucking wrong.

Way too many carbs.  I’m not on the zero carb train, but we have way too many of them in the government suggested diets.

The ADA even promotes excess carbs...exactly what’s helping kill diabetics.
Link Posted: 8/10/2020 9:39:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I have a dense build. 5' 11", 180 pounds, and people say I look skinny. But anyone who uses BMI says I'm overweight and I really need to exercise more and eat less. I was even getting auto-generated emails from a doctor's office once about that, because the system just blindly looked at the numbers and decided I wasn't healthy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You’ve got that right.  I have a BMI of 28.  I’m in excellent physical shape, bike and resistance train a lot.

The idiots we hired on to do wellness checks at my company do all the measurements, and then plug the numbers, send me to another table to discuss the numbers with a “health coach”

The health coach explains the numbers to me and then says “have you considered changing your eating habits”? After explaining BMI.

I fucking laughed out loud and asked if she was serious.  Then I told her no, other than I need to eat more.  She couldn’t understand why I wasn’t concerned about my BMI.

I have a dense build. 5' 11", 180 pounds, and people say I look skinny. But anyone who uses BMI says I'm overweight and I really need to exercise more and eat less. I was even getting auto-generated emails from a doctor's office once about that, because the system just blindly looked at the numbers and decided I wasn't healthy.

5’11” 180 here, too.  I’m 48.

I have no respect for a doctor that looks and your BMI, then at your naked body and can’t figure out that you’re NOT overweight.

Fortunately my primary care NP is smart and understands this.  As long as I’m visually in shape and my blood work is good, she doesn’t say anything.  

I’d kick a dr to the curb if they pulled that BS.  I’m glad it was just auto-generated and I hope you have an understanding physician too.
Link Posted: 8/10/2020 9:40:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

And neither do we.  

People need to wake up, and understand that AHA, USDA and ADA guidelines are fucking wrong.

Way too many carbs.  I'm not on the zero carb train, but we have way too many of them in the government suggested diets.

The ADA even promotes excess carbs...exactly what's helping kill diabetics.
View Quote
Yep.

I recently read the book Sapiens. One of the interesting perspectives the author had was that during the agricultural revolution wheat domesticated us not the other way around. And it wound up being a very bad thing for our quality of life.
Link Posted: 8/10/2020 9:46:04 AM EDT
[#4]
According to Liberals, starving to death is much better than being fat and happy.
Link Posted: 8/10/2020 9:50:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Reading these threads, I suspect I am the only fat person on Arfcom.
Link Posted: 8/10/2020 9:55:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Fellow fatty here. Working on obese.

I think the only time I was "normal" BMI range in my adult life was after waking up out of a coma where I had been fed through a tube. I was so weak I couldn't stand. You could see all my bones and it was gross. That was ~160lbs @ 6'1".
Link Posted: 8/10/2020 10:05:37 AM EDT
[#7]
For all the "BMI is rayciss yo" people, Body fat percentage still says Americans are fucking fat as shit

Median American man has ~28% body fat. Only ~12% are below 20% BF.

This is a few years old too, it's probably ~30% now.

90% of America is the bottom 3 images
Link Posted: 8/10/2020 10:06:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
According to Liberals, starving to death is much better than being fat and happy.
View Quote

Social Justice for Gaia.
Link Posted: 8/10/2020 10:10:51 AM EDT
[#9]
The Median American man is 5'10" and 199 pounds, as of a few years ago. With 28% body fat, that's a lean body mass of 143 pounds.

Cutting down to just 18% body fat (easily achievable) means losing 25 pounds.

You all are a lot fatter than you think.
Link Posted: 8/10/2020 10:31:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Ethiopia at the bottom of the list...makes me miss the famine jokes

Have you tried Ethiopian food?
Neither have they

What do you call an Ethiopian child with a piece of cheddar?
A quarter-pounder with cheese

Would you like to try Ethiopian food?
So would they

What do Ethiopians and Yoko Ono have in common?
They are both living off of dead beatles.

Link Posted: 8/10/2020 10:34:47 AM EDT
[#11]
BMI is the most forgiving measure of body fat. If you're so sure that BMI is saying you are overweight and you actually aren't, try the skinfold method or measuring your waist. I guarantee you are actually overweight and just don't realize it because everybody around you is fat too.  Just because you exercise doesn't mean you aren't carrying excess fat.
Link Posted: 8/10/2020 10:36:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The Median American man is 5'10" and 199 pounds, as of a few years ago. With 28% body fat, that's a lean body mass of 143 pounds.

Cutting down to just 18% body fat (easily achievable) means losing 25 pounds.

You all are a lot fatter than you think.
View Quote

Probably true for the most part.

This is America though. Healthy food and barbells are both easily within our means. You can get both. Be big/strong and lean.
Link Posted: 8/10/2020 10:37:01 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Ethiopia is almost dead last. I might be going to hell, but that made me chuckle a bit.
View Quote
Me too
Link Posted: 8/10/2020 10:44:46 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
BMI is the most forgiving measure of body fat. If you're so sure that BMI is saying you are overweight and you actually aren't, try the skinfold method or measuring your waist. I guarantee you are actually overweight and just don't realize it because everybody around you is fat too.  Just because you exercise doesn't mean you aren't carrying excess fat.
View Quote

You’re not 100% wrong, but you are wrong in many cases.  There’s plenty of outliers out there, most being those that weight train.

28 BMI, and far from fat.
Link Posted: 8/10/2020 10:45:01 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

And neither do we.  

Way too many carbs.  I’m not on the zero carb train, but we have way too many of them in the government suggested diets.

The ADA even promotes excess carbs...exactly what’s helping kill diabetics.
View Quote

No doubt, but some have adapted better than others. Carbs should be greatly reduced but they are cheap so the government promotes them.
Link Posted: 8/10/2020 10:53:10 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

The average lean body mass of an American male is about 143 pounds.

Most people are way fucking fatter than they think they are.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I am 5'11 and 145 lbs.  Ironically I just saw my doc yesterday, he said I could gain 5-10 lbs and it wouldn't hurt but that my weight is good to go. 185 at 1 inch taller than me, isn't anywhere near "rail".

Remember when the movie fight club came out and Brad Pitt was all the rage with the womens, from that movie for a while? He is 6 foot tall and was 155 lbs with a BMI of 5% for the movie.

I understand that muscle weighs and muscle is good, but I think lots men in the US use "soy boy" as an excuse to justify the fact that they are in fact, fat.  The view has become so skewed that having a gut that isn't flat and sides that stick out instead of flat or V shaped, is incorrectly viewed as "healthy" for a man.

The average lean body mass of an American male is about 143 pounds.

Most people are way fucking fatter than they think they are.

This.  

And I say that as someone who lost 130lbs in 3 years.

I’m currently 6’1”, floating between 213lbs and 217lbs.

I lift weights, run, have a farm, throw hay, etc.

I’m still fat as fuck.  I want to lose at least another 20lbs. I think at 195lbs ish I would be alright. Realistically, BMI for me is probably fairly close, 189 I would be “normal” on the heavy side.  

Unless you’re a power builder/power lifter, or an athlete, if you’re significantly over BMI - you’re fat.

Being 5-10lbs over BMI because you work out? I can see that. But 30lbs and saying it’s muscle? Ehhhhhhh doubtful.  Unless you’re 6 pack ripped and huge.  Which very few are.
Link Posted: 8/10/2020 11:18:12 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Haha I’m always amazed at the responses to these threads too.

I think the reality is that America is so overweight as a whole, that we now think overweight is just normal.
Link Posted: 8/10/2020 11:39:00 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I think the reality is that America is so overweight as a whole, that we now think overweight is just normal.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Of course it’s hard to believe people when 77% of Americans are overweight, so some of you guys don’t believe it’s when some of the other 23% of us post in these threads.

Sorry, but not sorry.  Educate yourself on healthy eating and physical activity.  People don’t need to be fat.  It doesn’t cost a lot to be physically in shape and healthy, but the price paid for the alternative is very high.
Link Posted: 8/10/2020 12:13:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Of course it’s hard to believe people when 77% of Americans are overweight, so some of you guys don’t believe it’s when some of the other 23% of us post in these threads.

Sorry, but not sorry.  Educate yourself on healthy eating and physical activity.  People don’t need to be fat.  It doesn’t cost a lot to be physically in shape and healthy, but the price paid for the alternative is very high.
View Quote

I think a big reason for it, is that 77% of the population probably do not have a need to be physically fit anymore. Most people’s day-to-day lives no longer require them to be fit.
Link Posted: 8/10/2020 12:21:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Nah, liberals started “fat is beautiful”
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 7:28:50 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

You’re not 100% wrong, but you are wrong in many cases.  There’s plenty of outliers out there, most being those that weight train.

28 BMI, and far from fat.
View Quote

My BMI is 20.7:

Attachment Attached File
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top