Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/27/2024 12:52:34 AM EDT
[#1]
In the early 80s I met the future Mrs. in the Bay area and we would go all over with nary a care.  It was funky but generally clean and safe.  We would have dates at the Cliff House and watch the fog roll in over dinner and drinks.  We would visit Golden Gate Park and walk around.  If there were homeless they were well hidden.  There were lots of things to do and see and places to eat and drink.  It was marvelous.  Haven't been there in 30+ years and will probably never go back.  I have memories that are 87x better than the current reality.
Link Posted: 7/27/2024 12:54:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I wonder how the stickers got printed?
View Quote

Some hero did it at cost no doubt.
Link Posted: 7/27/2024 12:58:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Planning a northern West Coast motorcycle trip middle two weeks of September.  Going to enter California South of Klamath Falls and exit at Reno.  Clip the North East part of the state.  That'll be close enough to SF for me.
View Quote
Have breakfast in Likely!
Link Posted: 7/27/2024 1:29:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I don't think that's real, but it wouldn't surprise me (much).
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What the fuck.

I'm gonna go steal that sign
I don't think that's real, but it wouldn't surprise me (much).

I live less than a mile from there. I’ll report back
Link Posted: 7/27/2024 1:38:47 AM EDT
[#5]
As a kid in the 80’s when we visited it was a
clean and interesting city.

Hicks from Idaho. So cool.

Would never spend money to go visit California these days.
Link Posted: 7/27/2024 1:44:49 AM EDT
[#6]
My entire life, I've only ever lived 30-45 minutes from LA, SF, or Seattle. I avoided going into the cities like the plague as much as I could each time. Consequently, I really don't know anything about those cities, except I could point and tell you that they're over in that direction.
Link Posted: 7/27/2024 1:51:03 AM EDT
[#7]
San Francisco is a shit hole and has been for a very long time (it completely died by 1980).

San Francisco is NOT representative of the entire Great State of California - no way, no how.
Link Posted: 7/27/2024 2:03:09 AM EDT
[#8]
That's two random references to Lee Ving from wildly separate threads tonight
Link Posted: 7/27/2024 2:07:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Lee Ving is a good dude.
Link Posted: 7/27/2024 3:39:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Probably a government grant given the politics of the state

I grew up about 60-80 miles east and would go to SF in the 80s with friends to skate places like China banks, hilltop dish (hunters point, enough said), mission and 16th, etc.  Or would go with other friends, skip school and check out the record and clothing stores there.  Venture a little ways away from the tourist areas and it was dirty with sketchy people everywhere even back then.  My teenage brain at the time liked some it, mainly a break from the boring town I lived in but another part of me saw clearly what a mess it was.  Can't imagine what it's like now with so much of society having gone off the rails.

Still got my code of honor albums too
https://www.maximumrocknroll.com/band/code-of-honor/
Link Posted: 7/27/2024 7:54:48 AM EDT
[#11]

That can't be real? Even in clown world.
Link Posted: 7/27/2024 11:55:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Who do the workers work for?

Dr. Zhivago should be required watching in school.
Link Posted: 7/27/2024 12:03:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Went to law school there from 1999-2001.  Had a great time. Lots of cool bars and amazing food.  Wouldn't want to go back.
Link Posted: 7/27/2024 12:04:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
San Francisco is a shit hole and has been for a very long time (it completely died by 1980).

San Francisco is NOT representative of the entire Great State of California - no way, no how.
View Quote

Not representative but still significant

Link Posted: 7/27/2024 12:05:12 PM EDT
[#15]

I mean, I'm not exactly mad about this.
Link Posted: 7/27/2024 12:12:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

If I recall the current residents hate the tourists dropping by to take a pic
View All Quotes
Quoted:

If I recall the current residents hate the tourists dropping by to take a pic

Same for the Mork and Mindy house in Boulder and the Breaking Bad house in NM (the last time I worked in Boulder I was told the lady who owns the Mork and Mindy house is pretty hostile).

The lady that owns the house the Grateful Dead lived in at 710 Ashbury St. in SF is really nice to tourists who come to visit, but finally had to put a gate at the bottom of the stairs to keep folks off the porch. Somebody posted on one of the Grateful Dead FB pages a while back that they didn’t know it was a private residence so walked in because the door was unlocked. The lady was home, explained she lived there, and let them look around.
Link Posted: 7/27/2024 12:16:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
My friend once traveled to California on business for a few weeks.
He sent me a beautiful panoramic video on the beach of a sunrise, crashing waves, gorgeous women doing yoga in a large group, then suddenly…pans the camera over a filthy homeless guy jerking himself senseless inside his sweat pants. Watching the yoga group.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/27/2024 12:16:20 PM EDT
[#18]
I love how commies always expect they won't be the one tarring roads or doing other hard manual labor in a communist utopia.
Link Posted: 7/27/2024 12:18:27 PM EDT
[#19]
In 1965 my grandparents went to SF to attend my grandfather's WWII army reunion.  I was 13 at the time.  They were really impressed with the city not that they would have considered living in any city.  I'd have really liked to touristed around California back in those days.

Driving through 1960s San Francisco in color [60fps, Remastered] w/sound design added

Visit To San Francisco - Colour (1960)

Link Posted: 7/27/2024 12:23:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 7/27/2024 12:28:46 PM EDT
[#21]

30 years ago even Laurie Laughlin was a beautiful thing to see…

In the early 80’s SF was a pretty safe and beautiful city, and Fishemans Warf was a great place to take us kids. I remember street performers and artists and a very cool vibe all the way around.

Last time I was there for work will be the last time, unless it’s for work
Link Posted: 7/27/2024 12:49:14 PM EDT
[#22]
The beginning of the end:

Link Posted: 7/27/2024 12:57:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Planning a northern West Coast motorcycle trip middle two weeks of September.  Going to enter California South of Klamath Falls and exit at Reno.  Clip the North East part of the state.  That'll be close enough to SF for me.
At the Likely Saloon?  The Most Likely Cafe?  They look like dumps therefore the breakfast is most likely (pun) pretty good.

If I fill up at Merrill Oregon it is 234 miles to Reno.  6.6 gallon tank and I'll get at least 45 mpg cruising fast across open country like that.  So nearly 300 miles on a tank.  I flogged it yesterday for about 4 hours and got a bit over 44 mpg.  If I don't go nuts with the throttle I ought to be able to get through California without spending a penny.  I won't though.  I have range anxiety and probably will buy maybe half a tank of gas in CA.  And will want to eat.
Link Posted: 7/27/2024 1:14:02 PM EDT
[#24]
I lived in Santa Clara for 4 years back in the early 2010's.
Used to go to SF every month or so with a group of people from work for business meeting and have dinner.
I don't remember seeing a lot of homelessness and crime back then.
I went back on a business trip in 2022 and was shocked to see that much of downtown looked like something out of dystopian nightmare.
Even Berkely had turned into a homeless camp.
Then I took a trip to Portland and couldn't believe my eyes.
Seattle... same thing.
The wife and I left Los Angeles after many years of living near the beach.
My quality of life shot through the roof after moving to Arizona.
Link Posted: 7/27/2024 2:08:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

Go buy them at any Hot Topic store.
Link Posted: 7/27/2024 2:29:31 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I lived in Santa Clara for 4 years back in the early 2010's.
Used to go to SF every month or so with a group of people from work for business meeting and have dinner.
I don't remember seeing a lot of homelessness and crime back then.
I went back on a business trip in 2022 and was shocked to see that much of downtown looked like something out of dystopian nightmare.
Even Berkely had turned into a homeless camp.
Then I took a trip to Portland and couldn't believe my eyes.
Seattle... same thing.
The wife and I left Los Angeles after many years of living near the beach.
My quality of life shot through the roof after moving to Arizona.
View Quote
Santa Clara?  I saw a documentary about Santa Clara.  I'd hate Santa Clara.  Too damn many vampires.
Link Posted: 7/27/2024 2:44:18 PM EDT
[#27]

It looks like it's been a rough quarter of a century for Donnie Darko.
Link Posted: 7/27/2024 2:50:17 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

80s was last of the peak as far as people go. Back in the 90s I thought SF was getting bad but 30 years later that was paradise compared to now

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
SF was a pretty fun place in the mid 80s. Pretty thrashing’ punk scene.

80s was last of the peak as far as people go. Back in the 90s I thought SF was getting bad but 30 years later that was paradise compared to now

I was out there with my father during 9/11 and it was bad in places, but Fisherman's Wharf was pretty cool..............then the protesters came out of the woodwork and were harassing people
Link Posted: 7/27/2024 3:07:05 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote
Make sure to see Crater Lake. It's only an hour or so north of Klamath Falls.

I'm going to ride up that way after Labor day,  probably KF then Crater up to Bend and over to the Oregon coast. Hopefully the fires settle down by then.

Enjoy your trip.
Link Posted: 7/27/2024 3:08:47 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
My friend once traveled to California on business for a few weeks.

He sent me a beautiful panoramic video on the beach of a sunrise, crashing waves, gorgeous women doing yoga in a large group, then suddenly…pans the camera over a filthy homeless guy jerking himself senseless inside his sweat pants. Watching the yoga group.

I decided I could die content with out visiting that state.

Enjoy.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/27/2024 4:37:10 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I was out there with my father during 9/11 and it was bad in places, but Fisherman's Wharf was pretty cool..............then the protesters came out of the woodwork and were harassing people
View Quote

There’s pockets in the wealthy areas that are fine but to me that doesn’t count. That’s like those cartel fortresses in the middle of everywhere else not so nice or free of crime
Link Posted: 7/27/2024 4:40:13 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Was Trump speaking nearby?
View Quote

I don’t even get the bunny rabbit reference

I see shit just randomly and most of the time don’t take a photo

Was a guy in downtown Los Angeles walking around with a boa constrictor or Python on his neck and shoulders after midnight but I don’t have that pic on this phone
Link Posted: 7/27/2024 4:41:39 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Same for the Mork and Mindy house in Boulder and the Breaking Bad house in NM (the last time I worked in Boulder I was told the lady who owns the Mork and Mindy house is pretty hostile).

The lady that owns the house the Grateful Dead lived in at 710 Ashbury St. in SF is really nice to tourists who come to visit, but finally had to put a gate at the bottom of the stairs to keep folks off the porch. Somebody posted on one of the Grateful Dead FB pages a while back that they didn’t know it was a private residence so walked in because the door was unlocked. The lady was home, explained she lived there, and let them look around.
View Quote

I’ve heard stories about women having sex on Jim Morrison grave in France
Link Posted: 7/27/2024 5:27:55 PM EDT
[#34]
My wife and I got married on the steps inside the Rotunda at City Hall 20 years ago.  We had never been.  Stayed at a hotel near Fisherman’s Wharf, it was Dungeness Crab season and ate our weight in soup in a sourdough bowl.   Walked Pier 49, took a trip to Alcatraz, Muir Woods, Napa and Sonoma tour, took a sailboat excursion out of Sausalito.

Never rained once and we had sunshine the whole week.  Carried the G26 the whole time.  Ate some great food.  We went before it was a real shithole.  We had a great time.  Doubt the trip could be repeated,

Last time I was there I saw a drugged out mentally ill man, who had wrapped himself head to toe in bubble wrap. Looked like the Michelin man but in bubble wrap.  He was harassing a large group of Asian women doing a yoga or exercise dance class outdoors.   They looked ready to beat the shit out of him.  Maybe it wasn’t his first attempt and this time he came back with hobo body armor.
View Quote

Probably kept repeating himself.
Link Posted: 7/27/2024 5:34:46 PM EDT
[#35]
I’m watching The Laughing Policeman, with Walter Matthau and Bruce Dern…that city looked shitty back then (early 70s)
Link Posted: 7/27/2024 5:35:56 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I'm watching The Laughing Policeman, with Walter Matthau and Bruce Dern that city looked shitty back then (early 70s)
View Quote
Pretty much every city looked shitty in the 70s.
Link Posted: 7/27/2024 5:37:20 PM EDT
[#37]
I hope the guy who printed those made millions and now just lives in a state of self loathing.

Wait, isn't California the state of self loathing?
Link Posted: 7/27/2024 5:43:32 PM EDT
[#38]
My first time at LAX..... What a nice sight for tourist's. Then by the In and Out a ton of bums.
Link Posted: 7/27/2024 5:43:55 PM EDT
[#39]
I was there from 1973-1980. Car thievery was in its infancy, not yet the booming economy it now is. Great place to go running, especially around Twin Peaks or the Presidio.
Link Posted: 7/27/2024 6:03:15 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

If you can squeeze in Hwy 36, you won't regret it. It's like 250 miles of Tail of the Dragon.
If you ride the coast down to Fortuna, it'll take you right to 395 into Reno.
Best road I've ever rode.
Link Posted: 7/27/2024 6:10:03 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
In the early 80s I met the future Mrs. in the Bay area and we would go all over with nary a care.  It was funky but generally clean and safe.  We would have dates at the Cliff House and watch the fog roll in over dinner and drinks.  We would visit Golden Gate Park and walk around.  If there were homeless they were well hidden.  There were lots of things to do and see and places to eat and drink.  It was marvelous.  Haven't been there in 30+ years and will probably never go back.  I have memories that are 87x better than the current reality.
View Quote

I feel your pain...
I belonged to the officer's club a the Presidio and played golf there often.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/27/2024 6:16:44 PM EDT
[#42]

San Francisco or Paris Olympics? You be the judge.
Link Posted: 7/27/2024 6:30:08 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Went to law school there from 1999-2001.  Had a great time. Lots of cool bars and amazing food.  Wouldn't want to go back.
View Quote

I was an undergrad there at the same time (SF State). Living in the city and seeing unchecked leftism everywhere I looked pushed me way to the right. I emerged far more conservative than when I went in. Definitely not your typical "My kid went to college and was brainwashed by Marxists" story.
Link Posted: 7/27/2024 6:44:00 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 7/27/2024 6:50:32 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I love how commies always expect they won't be the one tarring roads or doing other hard manual labor in a communist utopia.
View Quote

This is what I always say to the lefties at work, hope you enjoy hard back breaking work, you have no skills, its physical labor.  commie countries build some stuff.  they think it will be smoking weed, and playing video games,
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top