Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

LOL! you cant be serious, right?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm pretty sure he did his own dog in while swinging, but can't blame him for trying.  That pup was gone if he didn't at least try.  If your dog is going to be out in the wild, it either needs to protect itself or you have to accept these things happen.  I'd have let my dog handle that little cat, but different breed and all.  Sad all around.

100%.  That was a small cat.  Pound for pound would be a different story, but again, small cat in this video.
Link Posted: 10/3/2021 1:18:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

100%.  That was a small cat.  Pound for pound would be a different story, but again, small cat in this video.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm pretty sure he did his own dog in while swinging, but can't blame him for trying.  That pup was gone if he didn't at least try.  If your dog is going to be out in the wild, it either needs to protect itself or you have to accept these things happen.  I'd have let my dog handle that little cat, but different breed and all.  Sad all around.

Dog? I've got a 70lb+  rhodesian and there's no way I'd want her taking on a cat that size.
Link Posted: 10/3/2021 1:21:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Fucking A… that was kinda awesome. Sad the dog didn’t live or it would have been 100/100.
Link Posted: 10/3/2021 2:36:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Damn

Wife and I saw a full grown mountain lion 1.5 miles from our new home in NW Montana last week. That sucker was HUGE. 200LB if he was a pound. Crossed the road right in front of us like he owned the place.

My daily carry setup is currently 230gr HST’s out of a dead nuts reliable XDS .45 and I carry every day. Have for years and will continue to do so.

When I’m further than the yard out here, my 10mm with Buffalo Bore 230gr hardcast or 12ga pistol grip 870 with slugs are on me depending on if I’m on a machine or on foot.
Link Posted: 10/3/2021 2:38:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I had something like this a few days before Christmas in 2017 except with a smaller wildcat, I was the target and not a dog, and I had a tomahawk, not a machete.

https://i.imgur.com/VHGxjcE.jpg

(A lot of the red stuff is also mine)

That was a very strange day, and the $13,000 hospital bill made me very thankful for insurance.

The tomahawk worked, but if I could go back I'd have had a gun on me 11 times out of 10. I spiked the fucking cat through the skull four times including burying it in its eye clear up to the shaft and the fucking thing just yelled at me and kept attacking like it was the fucking exorcist and didn't need a brain to keep fighting. Flipped it around and swung with every ounce of strength I had with the axe blade to its forehead over and over while it was literally trying to take my left hand off and was clawing my forearm. Tenth blow it suddenly went into slow motion, eleventh blow cracked its skull open and dumped blood all over the place and the fight was over. I had a one-handed Christmas that year (thankfully everything healed up back to 100%).

Got the rabies vaccine just in case, but the tests came back negative. Goddamn cat was just a savage monster.
View Quote
Fuck me, good whack,s
Link Posted: 10/3/2021 2:52:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I'm torn on this one.

Cougar doing cougar things and this guy had his dog off a leash and not close to him.

However, the dog is his property and the cougar attacked it.

The whole thing is an unhappy situation.
View Quote
fuck yo cat
Link Posted: 10/3/2021 2:57:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/3/2021 3:08:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

There's a video in this thread proving why carrying in the woods is a good idea, and yet you shit on the idea.

You're special.
View Quote

I've been called that.

I'll fight the right to carry a woods gun, and in AK or MT or other grizz areas I wouldn't want to go without.

Reality of some mountain adventures is that you can't afford the extra weight if you want to accomplish what you're setting out for. I'd rather take the risk than stay safe at home. Pretty sure the resident mountaineer/rock climber guy here would agree.
Reminds me of people that won't travel internationally because they can't carry a gun.
Link Posted: 10/3/2021 3:15:43 AM EDT
[#9]
I have a super thick Columbian parang machete that a buddy of mine sharpened to a razor edge all the way down the blade.

It would be my go to melee weapon.

Sick vid. You can here the meat chops.
Link Posted: 10/3/2021 3:25:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
That little cat would have handled your dog just fine.
Link Posted: 10/3/2021 5:36:47 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
that cat was maybe 60lbs, is your dog in the 600lb class cause that is what it would take dog vs cat to win
Link Posted: 10/3/2021 5:48:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Damn

Wife and I saw a full grown mountain lion 1.5 miles from our new home in NW Montana last week. That sucker was HUGE. 200LB if he was a pound. Crossed the road right in front of us like he owned the place.

My daily carry setup is currently 230gr HST's out of a dead nuts reliable XDS .45 and I carry every day. Have for years and will continue to do so.

When I'm further than the yard out here, my 10mm with Buffalo Bore 230gr hardcast or 12ga pistol grip 870 with slugs are on me depending on if I'm on a machine or on foot.
View Quote
Close range, buckshot is very effective on cats and would be my #1 choice, I always had some 00 Buck on me when hunting waterfowl in case I ran into a Brownie, we would see their tracks in our decoys when we left them out overnight sometimes.
my gunsmith shot a pair of wolves from his goose blind with steel BB shot, K80 O/U. Killed them dead 1 shot each at around 20 yds.
Link Posted: 10/3/2021 10:53:46 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Cougars belong in the wild woods, domesticated dogs do not. One thing I like about the national parks is nobody can bring their dogs on the trail.

I don't hate dogs, but I value the wildlife more than the need for a canine companion in the woods. Unless you're mushing. Then you're just badass.
View Quote

Says who I see people with dogs on the trials in my area all the time and I have never seen or heard of a park ranger saying anything about it.
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top