Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 11:33:43 AM EDT
[#1]
https://runamokmaple.com/shop/product/sparkle-syrup/

My wife's friend from Vermont sent her this It will sit in the pantry for all eternity, or I'll use it to make old-fashion's for uninvited guests.
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 11:37:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Real syrup.  Anything else is trash
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 11:39:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Canadian (probably Quebec) maple syrup.

the real deal and pure:

Link Posted: 11/20/2022 11:40:26 AM EDT
[#4]
My father makes his own each year, about 60 gallons. It’s a great connection
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 11:43:21 AM EDT
[#5]
This is how we do it in Florida.  $15

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 11:45:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There are probably rules governing the labeling of 100% pure maple syrup; I feel confident that it's pure when I buy it.  My old neighbor used to make his own and keep us supplied but after we moved we started getting the Costco stuff.  As a kid all we ever had was  stuff like Log Cabin or Mrs. Butterworth, etc.  and I could never go back.  

In Canada there is a cartel/mafia that controls maple syrup and people find out when they fuck around.

Link to article
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
There are probably rules governing the labeling of 100% pure maple syrup; I feel confident that it's pure when I buy it.  My old neighbor used to make his own and keep us supplied but after we moved we started getting the Costco stuff.  As a kid all we ever had was  stuff like Log Cabin or Mrs. Butterworth, etc.  and I could never go back.  

In Canada there is a cartel/mafia that controls maple syrup and people find out when they fuck around.

Quebec’s maple syrup “marketing board” first made big news in 2012 when the culprits of an $18 million maple syrup heist (really) from the Global Strategic Maple Syrup Reserve (really) were caught by provincial police. (See the whole story in a feature film, coming soon, starring Jason Segel — ...really.) The board is making news again thanks to recent crackdowns on producers who want to sell syrup outside its control.

Link to article

As this article suggests, rules are only as good as the means to enforce them. Cartels like this are one traditional means, and are quite common. That's why real parmesan cheese is so expensive, for example. To the extent these groups can enforce quality, people will rely on the brand to be confident they are buying the real thing.

It is quite common for entrenched interests like this to resist government regulations that would level the paying field, while advocating regulations that will solidify their position.

Link Posted: 11/20/2022 11:45:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
This is the time where I prefer the "fake" stuff. Every time I bought "real" syrup it was super runny. Might as well pour sugary brown food colored water on the pancakes or waffles.

I like it to run like a little bit like molasses.
View Quote
This, I also chose the "fake" syrup.
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 11:46:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
This is the time where I prefer the "fake" stuff. Every time I bought "real" syrup it was super runny. Might as well pour sugary brown food colored water on the pancakes or waffles.

I like it to run like a little bit like molasses.
View Quote

Put it in a small pot on the stove and cook off some of the excess water to thicken it up.
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 11:53:01 AM EDT
[#9]
For all of you saying it's too thin etc. choose grade "B" grade or Dark Amber. It has always been better.

They just changed the rating system and did away with the A and B designations, and grade B is now Dark Amber
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 11:55:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Pancakes/waffles/french toast, etc, are merely delivery vehicles for pure maple syrup.

I buy locally in PA.
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 11:57:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 12:00:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Is some good stuff.

Why in the fuck would anyone want that fake flavored corn syrup?

Setting here enjoying some stuffed french toast my girlfriend made, topped with 100% pure maple syrup.
Do not care if it is a little more expensive, it is 100% worth it.
View Quote

Yup, make a good drive for this stuff.
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 12:03:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Syrup belongs in the fridge
View Quote

Be civil, sir. There are adult children on this forum.
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 12:30:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Vermont Sugar and Spice, damn good stuff.

Homemade sure sounds good I must say
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 12:34:06 PM EDT
[#15]
We get corn syrup around here...

Link Posted: 11/20/2022 12:39:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 12:47:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Canadian (probably Quebec) maple syrup.

the real deal and pure:
https://i.imgur.com/3L6Oln7.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/WixE4mK.jpg

View Quote

everyone with a sugarbush here ships their sap in 55 gallon drums to the quebec maple cartel,  so it can be evaporated in quebec, so it can say "made in canada"
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 12:50:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
We do it on a tiny scale. Only ten buckets and a converted drum setup fired by leftover slabs from the mill.

Enough to keep the kids happy though

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/26478/IMG_2631_jpg-2607297.JPG
View Quote

That is true Americana right there.
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 12:56:58 PM EDT
[#19]
every spring tons of "cabane a sucre" (sugar shacks) open up here and people sit on benches and get served beans,mini weiners,whipped egg omelets,bacon,maple smoked ham,potatoes,pea soup w/ ham,
oreilles de crisse(deep fried salted pork rinds),thick sliced bread,creton(pork pate) and of course tons of maple syrup.

desert is the staple here : pouding chomeur(welfare pudding--thick sweet sauce over plain cake,grand pere(grand father--dumpling boiled in maple syrup and water),sugar pie,ice cream,crepes
and of course at the very end you get to do a "tire"(boiling maple syrup spread over snow on a big wooden table and you use a popsicle stick to twirl up the hardening incredibly sweet sucker.

Link Posted: 11/20/2022 12:57:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 12:58:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Can you recommend some places to order online. I live in Florida and I’d like some suggestions. Seems the darker/ thicker stuff is the best from what I’m reading here. Thanks
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 1:08:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 1:14:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Grew up on the "fake" stuff. Real maple syrup tastes weird to me

Link Posted: 11/20/2022 1:14:20 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

That is true Americana right there.
View Quote

It's totally Americana.  Thomas Jefferson wanted all Americans to plant maple trees on their property so they could extract sap to make maple syrup/sugar.   He didn't want us to be controlled in the least by the foreign powers that controlled the cane sugar in the Caribbean
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 1:17:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
every spring tons of "cabane a sucre" (sugar shacks) open up here and people sit on benches and get served beans,mini weiners,whipped egg omelets,bacon,maple smoked ham,potatoes,pea soup w/ ham,
oreilles de crisse(deep fried salted pork rinds),thick sliced bread,creton(pork pate) and of course tons of maple syrup.

desert is the staple here : pouding chomeur(welfare pudding--thick sweet sauce over plain cake,grand pere(grand father--dumpling boiled in maple syrup and water),sugar pie,ice cream,crepes
and of course at the very end you get to do a "tire"(boiling maple syrup spread over snow on a big wooden table and you use a popsicle stick to twirl up the hardening incredibly sweet sucker.

View Quote

That sounds neat.  
I think I saw something like that on Les Stroud's new TV show - Wild Harvest. But it was just him and the chef
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 1:32:07 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Is some good stuff.

Why in the fuck would anyone want that fake flavored corn syrup?

Setting here enjoying some stuffed french toast my girlfriend made, topped with 100% pure maple syrup.
Do not care if it is a little more expensive, it is 100% worth it.
View Quote

It’s all good here but then it real.
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 1:54:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

That middle picture I'm guessing is a spring house.  Really neat.  Is is old or new construction?
View All Quotes

I built it, year 2000 to keep leaves out of my pond feed. That is when I noticed that I had all the hard maples on the hillside.  I run the sap lines into it and store until I boil (you might notice a couple in the picture).  I do a one and done approach, collect all week and boil on Saturday.  Bourbon theme boil.  Need to pace carefully since it is a long day.
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 2:01:56 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 2:03:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 2:04:10 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 2:12:19 PM EDT
[#31]
Maple Syrup Heist on Netflix under their Dirty Money series is great.
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 2:13:14 PM EDT
[#32]
@JQ66

springhouse in summer

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 2:27:16 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

That sounds neat.  
I think I saw something like that on Les Stroud's new TV show - Wild Harvest. But it was just him and the chef
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That sounds neat.  

here's a couple of crappy pics i took real quick at a cabine a sucre:

Link Posted: 11/20/2022 2:38:28 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:Why in the fuck would anyone want that fake flavored corn syrup?
View Quote

Maple syrup $6.99 for 12 oz
Mrs Butterworths syrup $6.98 for 128 oz. and it tastes so yummy.
COMMERCIAL Mrs. Butterworth's - Thick and rich (1979)
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 2:43:00 PM EDT
[#35]

That is beautiful man. Great job.
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 2:43:24 PM EDT
[#36]
Pancake syrup is gross.

Three consecutive weeks from the same trees.

Link Posted: 11/20/2022 2:50:15 PM EDT
[#37]
Cool to see I'm not the only weirdo doing this.  I've got five maple trees in my back yard, and made syrup out of them twice.  Had a really bad early winter storm a few years back and it took huge branches out of all of them.  I've been letting them heal before I take their sap, but I think this year they're good to go.  I just use the burner off my turkey fryer/homebrew set up and boil in a hotel pan.  Takes about 16 hours to get 3L of syrup.  

Can you imagine what it was like to live in this country before it was developed?  There is shockingly little sugar that you can grow in my part of the world.  Maple syrup in the spring must have been a real treat for the early homesteaders.  
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 2:58:57 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 3:05:37 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Can you recommend some places to order online. I live in Florida and I’d like some suggestions. Seems the darker/ thicker stuff is the best from what I’m reading here. Thanks
View Quote

@sjoerdvan

vtsugarandspice.com

They make good stuff, sign up for emails or start checking weekly for free shipping.

My friend used to live a mile or two from there, he said it was the best maple syrup around and has won many contests.

Get a variety of amber, dark, and very dark. unless you know which one you prefer already.

I buy the pint or quart bottles, even though they are more money, due to space, and i do not go through it very fast.
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 3:06:30 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

here's a couple of crappy pics i took real quick at a cabine a sucre:

https://i.imgur.com/OGnGr5t.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/a82WIPq.jpg

View Quote

Grandma use to make that, my one aunt still does I know.
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 3:07:30 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

@Toker_
What is the cause of the different colors? Different sap coming out of the trees? Or longer boiling time?
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 3:51:20 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Pancake syrup is gross.

https://i.imgur.com/T5zDVfG.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/oOGZetL.jpg
View Quote

Use three pieces of copper tube and two elbows, or a tube bender to create a U, hang between pans & it keeps pan levels even
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 5:30:18 PM EDT
[#43]
[@Kubota3430

Thanks, I’ll check them out. I’m definitely ordering the sampler to try all 3 flavors. The maple pumpkin butter looks awesome . Thanks
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 5:31:45 PM EDT
[#44]
Having lived in Vermont I'd have to agree.
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 6:30:30 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I wouldn't trust anything not sold by a small time producer.   Certainly nothing from a big box store as being "pure"
Just like many olive oils are cut extensively with canola/rape seed oil.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Isn't all purchased mapele syrup fake?  Basically they mix it with corn syrup or whatever then sell it as mapele syrup, the same way they do olive oil?

No.
100% pure maple syrup labeled products are not mixed with anything.

There is a whole industry of “maple”, maple flavored, etc. Syrups out there which is probably what you are referring to.

A product labeled as 100% maple syrup but had been mixed with corn syrup would be extremely obvious to someone accustomed to real maple syrup.

I wouldn't trust anything not sold by a small time producer.   Certainly nothing from a big box store as being "pure"
Just like many olive oils are cut extensively with canola/rape seed oil.

That’s just not going to work.  Texture, flavor, etc. everything is going to be off.

About the only “counterfeit” stuff going on that would not be obvious is when a premium priced product, like say 100% organic, Vermont pure maple syrup was made with Canadian and/or upstate NY or Maine sap.
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 7:24:49 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

Grew up on it also and margarine. Real butter and real syrup now.

I'm not going back to synthetic crap. Its like saying meat is icky but give me a veggie burger.
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 9:46:10 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

My brother-in-law works here they ship great maple products.

Link Posted: 11/20/2022 10:12:37 PM EDT
[#48]
I brined the turkey last night in Bourbon Barrel Aged Maple Syrup we made.  We have been making maple syrup here on the family land since the 1960's.  My Grandfather and Great Grandfather even before that.  It is a very rewarding no matter what size operation you have.  

A few years back I learned about the Bourbon Barrel aged process and decided to give it a go.  I have made a few batches and shared it with friends.  Not a big seller around here.  

We have about 600 taps and are working on expanding to 1,000.  It is primarily my Dad and I.  

Here is our current setup the first we year used it.  
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 10:19:38 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

Basically you’re saying you grew up an altar boy sucking dick, thinking it was normal.

You have been freed from that misconception and informed you should be eating pussy.

But don’t want to change.

Real maple syrup vs fake is not some flippant topic like beans vs no beans, 45 vs 9mm, dry vs wet bbq, etc.

It is serious bidnez.
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 10:45:48 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I brined the turkey last night in Bourbon Barrel Aged Maple Syrup we made.  We have been making maple syrup here on the family land since the 1960's.  My Grandfather and Great Grandfather even before that.  It is a very rewarding no matter what size operation you have.  

A few years back I learned about the Bourbon Barrel aged process and decided to give it a go.  I have made a few batches and shared it with friends.  Not a big seller around here.  

We have about 600 taps and are working on expanding to 1,000.  It is primarily my Dad and I.  

Here is our current setup the first we year used it.  
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/41141/0387272B-9431-4154-ADEE-2E7CEED07F04-1250104.jpg
View Quote

Damn, that looks like a very expensive apparatus.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top