Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 4/24/2020 6:35:11 PM EDT
Link

The commandant of the Marine Corps has banned the public display of the Confederate battle flag, a symbol that he said had the "power to inflame" division.

"I am mindful that many people believe that flag to be a symbol of heritage and regional pride," Gen. David H. Berger said in a letter dated Monday and addressed to his fellow Marines. "But I am also mindful of the feelings of pain and rejection of those who inherited the cultural memory and present effects of the scourge of slavery in our country."

The intent behind the ban was not to judge the meaning that individual Marines ascribe to the symbol, he said, but rather to help build "a uniquely capable warfighting team whose members come from all walks of life."

The flag has the "power to inflame feelings of division," he said, adding, "I cannot have that division inside our Corps.""
View Quote

I would have thought this happened long ago.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 6:43:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Who's Marie? Is she like Karen but has her own troops?
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 6:45:07 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm confused.  Do we celebrate diversity or do we not?  His comments seem hostile to it.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 6:47:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Why would you fly the flag of a defeated enemy?
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 6:48:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

You fly it upside down
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 6:49:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Figured it would have been banned years ago and chalked up to being an "extremist" symbol.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 6:50:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

You  should fly the flag of defeatism in New York.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 6:51:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Same reason they used the SS?

And if I remember right they had a logo/emblem that looked like the Afrika Corps. Or still do.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 6:51:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote
Marie is what we call Marine's in the Army.  They are all power bottoms.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 6:51:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Times must be good if this is what they are worried about.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 6:53:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

I give up my guns, ammo, and regular magazines should be your state motto.
As well  as i love paying the king's men and being in a union, voluntarily.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 6:54:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

And to think, still lost to us.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 6:55:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

I don't think they are Karens. I think they are divers.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 6:56:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
No more tanks to work on.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 6:57:09 PM EDT
[#14]
I saw it flying all the time while I was in the military. Bet you can fly many other “divisive” flags tho . Double standards and all ...
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 6:58:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

I find it funny that people still swing their purses at each other over a war that ended more than 150 years ago.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 6:58:47 PM EDT
[#16]
I guess Gen. David H. Berger hates freedom and the Constitution
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 7:00:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

You don’t have civilian freedoms when serving. I’m not sure why this would be news to you.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 7:00:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Wouldn't want to hurt anyone's feeling

Link Posted: 4/24/2020 7:01:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I find it funny that people still swing their purses at each other over a war that ended more than 150 years ago.
View Quote

So edgy...

Or for that matter, 80 years ago, right? Stalin’s purges, the Holodomor, the Holocaust, etc etc. Lets just forget about all of it right? Because it wouldn’t happen again, right? Right?
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 7:05:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Someone got triggered.

Link Posted: 4/24/2020 7:06:32 PM EDT
[#21]
I am surprised it lasted this long.

IIRC Confederate flag tats were a bar to enlistment YEARS ago. They were considered racist.

Link Posted: 4/24/2020 7:07:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 7:11:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Ohh, I see. You thought it was a democracy or something?
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 7:15:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Dicks are still good to go though.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 7:17:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I'm confused.  Do we celebrate diversity or do we not?  His comments seem hostile to it.
View Quote

We al know that “diversity “ is a one way street.  As long as he bans other offensive images like the ANC flag, black panther flag, Che T-shirts and banners, Malcom X imagery, and other racist symbols, then he would be consistent—but he didn’t, did he?
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 7:18:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
I find it equally as funny a large portion of Arfcom will bend over backwards to support the racist democrat Confederacy, and in the next breath claim to be an ultra conservative
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 7:18:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

IIRC Confederate flag tats were a bar to enlistment YEARS ago. They were considered racist.

View Quote

Seriously?  Confederate flag stickers and plates were not uncommon in Ft. Bragg, NC 20 years ago.  I think I even remember a black dude with one on his car (he bought the car used and never bothered to remove the sticker).
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 7:19:39 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

EVERYTHING is considered racist, if you are of the wrong demographic
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 7:20:57 PM EDT
[#29]
There is something appealing to a U.S. unit raining fire down upon the enemy close enough for him to wonder what the hell the Confederate flag means.

But that would be fun and we can't have fun in war.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 7:21:11 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

So edgy...

Or for that matter, 80 years ago, right? Stalin's purges, the Holodomor, the Holocaust, etc etc. Lets just forget about all of it right? Because it wouldn't happen again, right? Right?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So edgy...

Or for that matter, 80 years ago, right? Stalin's purges, the Holodomor, the Holocaust, etc etc. Lets just forget about all of it right? Because it wouldn't happen again, right? Right?

Do you find it normal to fly the Nazi Germany flag? I don't get this retarded argument. Nobody is saying suppress the history. They're just saying you're a fool for associating with the Confederacy by flying the flag as if that is some sort of conservative, romantic, freedom inspiring move on your part.

Why would you want to allow the USMC to publicly display the flag of a beaten enemy in that way? Would you have a problem with a soldier of German heritage flying the Nazi flag because it's in his family history? What about the 1940s Japanese Rising Sun flag? How about a Lebanese Marine flying a Hezbollah flag? I mean, we need to be fair and equitable in the application of the rules, right?
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 7:22:14 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Seriously?  Confederate flag stickers and plates were not uncommon in Ft. Bragg, NC 20 years ago.  I think I even remember a black dude with one on his car (he bought the car used and never bothered to remove the sticker).
View Quote

When you in-processed at Bragg you had to strip and explain what all of your tats meant. If any were deemed as extremist linked, you would be out-processed.  This was done following the 1995 murder of a couple in Fayetteville by two guys in 504 PIR (iirc)
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 7:22:58 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I find it equally as funny a large portion of Arfcom will bend over backwards to support the racist democrat Confederacy, and in the next breath claim to be an ultra conservative
View Quote

The trouble is that the meaning of a lot of that stuff has evolved and changed and people often embrace confederate symbols as being fir independence and against a large government. Being from Michigan, I don’t care about the confederate stuff, but I recognize that culture evolves
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 7:23:21 PM EDT
[#33]
Good.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 7:25:17 PM EDT
[#34]
Maybe banning pussy crybabies would work better.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 7:25:41 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Do you find it normal to fly the Nazi Germany flag? I don't get this retarded argument. Nobody is saying suppress the history. They're just saying you're a fool for associating with the Confederacy by flying the flag as if that is some sort of conservative, romantic, freedom inspiring move on your part.
View Quote

Yet everywhere I look I see communist symbology and racist black nationalist symbols. If one wants to ban something that some considers racist, fine, but be consistent and ban it all.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 7:26:04 PM EDT
[#36]
It's a good thing he isn't my supervisor then.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 7:26:10 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

The trouble is that the meaning of a lot of that stuff has evolved and changed and people often embrace confederate symbols as being fir independence and against a large government. Being from Michigan, I don't care about the confederate stuff, but I recognize that culture evolves
View Quote
I could see that if the entire point of the Confederacy wasn't to defend slavery.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 7:30:04 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

When you in-processed at Bragg you had to strip and explain what all of your tats meant. If any were deemed as extremist linked, you would be out-processed.  This was done following the 1995 murder of a couple in Fayetteville by two guys in 504 PIR (iirc)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's always the 504.  Lots of messed up stuff.  I was not aware of the 1995 events.

I do remember the tattoo inspections; just don't remember the confederate flag being a "red flag."
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 7:30:27 PM EDT
[#39]
The confederate flag wasnt a real issue till Dylan Roof. At that point the libs decided that they were devoting lots of energy demonizing it, it was what they were going to take in place of guns, and, as they are wont to do, the conservative cuckhold contingent tucked their tail between their legs and gave the left what they wanted.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 7:31:08 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bingo. I’m a born and raised southerner. The mental gymnastics that some of the good ole boys use to love the confederate flag is alarming...like a democrat. The official Constitution of the Confederacy specifically addresses slavery and why it should be kept. It lessens a person. I’m fine with the flag flying at battlefields, monuments, museums....and I’m fine with the freedom of someone to fly it. I’ll laugh at someone who says it isn’t divisive.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 7:32:21 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I could see that if the entire point of the Confederacy wasn't to defend slavery.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The trouble is that the meaning of a lot of that stuff has evolved and changed and people often embrace confederate symbols as being fir independence and against a large government. Being from Michigan, I don't care about the confederate stuff, but I recognize that culture evolves

Acktually it was about states rights!

....specifically a states right to allow ownership of people.....
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 7:34:19 PM EDT
[#42]
Oh NoS MuH RaCiSt. Just wait till they start banning the Betsy Ross flag and other stuff associated with the founding fathers. You people forget that the slippery slope is a real thing
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 7:34:51 PM EDT
[#43]
The only time I really remember a Confederate flag being displayed by a Marine was in May 2005 aboard CamLej NC:  A black lifted Pickup truck with two of the flags on each side of the tailgate-end of the bed was leaving the parking lot of the Hadnot Point 7-day store onto Holcomb Blvd, driven by a very large black man that had the words "HERITAGE NOT HATE" painted on the side of the bed of the truck.

Ok I admit I was kind of baffled as in I wasn't sure what the point was, but clearly the message wasn't one of hate or exclusion.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 7:35:11 PM EDT
[#44]
What about a rainbow Confederate battle flag ?

Do somethin’!!!
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 7:38:08 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

You fly it upside down
View Quote

Well played. Well played, indeed.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 7:40:16 PM EDT
[#46]
We don’t want you kids to do anything offensive.
Now grab your rifles and go have some fun!
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 7:41:01 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

The 30th ABCT from the NCARNG came out here to conduct tank / Bradly gunnery tables a couple of years ago.  One of the IDARNG idiots displayed a Confederate flag on his pickup in "solidarity" with his southern brothers from NC.  The 1SG I work with went out to the working party and told the group to find whoever owned the flag to take it down.  I agreed with his decision.

The Confederate flag is a southern thing.  Idaho isn't in the South, and the CW isn't part of our history.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 7:43:36 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Dicks are still good to go though.
View Quote

Dicks actually get things done though
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 7:43:39 PM EDT
[#49]
I guess, doesn't really pass the ethical order smell test though.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 7:43:44 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Bingo. I’m a born and raised southerner. The mental gymnastics that some of the good ole boys use to love the confederate flag is alarming...like a democrat. The official Constitution of the Confederacy specifically addresses slavery and why it should be kept. It lessens a person. I’m fine with the flag flying at battlefields, monuments, museums....and I’m fine with the freedom of someone to fly it. I’ll laugh at someone who says it isn’t divisive.
View Quote

Lol

Not all Yankees are from NY.

Slavery was one out of how many things they were pissed about?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top