Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 11:25:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Its sad or whatever, but these were shit boxes built as fast as possible back when phillips head screws were new technology. Nobody else should die in one.
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 11:25:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 11:28:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ground 'em and preserve them.  We're not building any more B-17s.
View Quote

A ship is safe in harbor, but that’s not what ships are for.

A plane is safe in a museum, but that’s not what they’re for either.
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 11:35:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
So glad I got a ride on Aluminum Overcast when I had the chance.
View Quote

Glad I did the same, in Nine-O-Nine. Of course we know how she ended up.

It's hard to believe, but we're now as far removed in time from WWII as WWII was from the Civil War.
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 11:36:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Its sad or whatever, but these were shit boxes built as fast as possible back when phillips head screws were new technology. Nobody else should die in one.
View Quote

I've done far more dangerous things than fly in a B17.  I'll handle my own risk management.
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 11:37:37 PM EDT
[#6]
So wanted to ride the nine-o-nine when it was in town. Just couldn't splurge the $500 for the seat at the time. A couple months later it crashed. Looks like the sentimental journey will be around next week, 2 seats left. Damn not sure I can swing it so soon. I really want to ride before they get grounded. Mad at myself for putting it off the past few years.
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 11:45:42 PM EDT
[#7]
I have two hours of right seat time on the Sentimental Journey from 24 years ago.
I believe it's still flying.
Link Posted: 4/18/2023 12:00:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I have two hours of right seat time on the Sentimental Journey from 24 years ago.
I believe it's still flying.
View Quote

Right up the road from me in Arizona. And it is still flying.

I may need to grab a ride while I still can.
Link Posted: 4/18/2023 12:05:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Yankee Lady

It was a fun ride.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/18/2023 12:23:05 AM EDT
[#10]
The country they fought to keep free is dead, so may as well put them in a hangar as keep pretending this country actually stands for liberty.  Fitting, actually when we have a senile Marxist Chinese agent as front man for the Deep State globalists.
Link Posted: 4/18/2023 6:02:01 AM EDT
[#11]
I didn't know Ye Olde Pub was still flying, that's awesome.

https://youtu.be/dslO-3GgenY
Link Posted: 4/18/2023 6:06:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Wife bought me a ride in Aluminum Overcast about 20 years or so ago. I'll remember it always.
Link Posted: 4/18/2023 6:09:13 AM EDT
[#13]
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

I had the pleasure of flying "FiFi" last year. Honestly was on the bucket list
Link Posted: 4/18/2023 6:32:40 AM EDT
[#14]
The greater loss is the men that flew them are mostly gone.
Link Posted: 4/18/2023 6:50:44 AM EDT
[#15]
I got a chance to tour Nine Oh Nine a couple years before she crashed, along with Witchcraft, the B24.  I have pics of my oldest son who was 3 at the time, in the top turret of old Witchcraft.
Link Posted: 4/18/2023 7:10:36 AM EDT
[#16]
When the Collings Foundation came around, we won a ride on their B-17(the one that crashed).
The B-17 was full, so we went up on 'Witchcraft' instead.
I was satisfied.  
Link Posted: 4/18/2023 7:13:06 AM EDT
[#17]
Texas Raiders used to be housed at the airport right behind my house. I got to see her doing touch and go's almost every weekend during the spring and summer.
I miss seeing her. It's sad knowing she's gone.

ETA: I never took a ride, although I had several opportunities. I did crawl through her a few times, though.
Link Posted: 4/18/2023 7:30:36 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
That plane came apart because it got hit by another plane. It didn't just break up on it's own.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
That plane came apart because it got hit by another plane. It didn't just break up on it's own.

And you will note that the spar is still intact.
Link Posted: 4/18/2023 7:32:53 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
My dad and I flew on one a decade ago. It was the liberty belle. It ended up crashing.

Glad we went as I guess it won't be possible anymore.
View Quote

Liberty Belle made an emergency landing in a field and was destroyed by the fire on the ground.  Nobody injured.

It might not have been destroyed, but the fire trucks couldn't get to where she was.
Link Posted: 4/18/2023 7:45:37 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

There are plenty in museums.  I say keep the airworthy ones flying as long as it can be done in reasonable safety.
View Quote

This.

I have seen several B-17s over the years in museums and even done a few walk through's but it took a flight on Nine-O-Nine a few years ago for me to truly appreciate what those brave young men did during the war.
Link Posted: 4/18/2023 7:48:15 AM EDT
[#21]
My dad is in a group that rebuilt an A-26.  Luckily they were able to acquire a freshly made wing spar so it should be flying for years.
Link Posted: 4/18/2023 7:55:02 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I flew on Sentimental Journey the last time it was out here. I think its coming back out soon. Will have to take another ride on it and the B-25.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u69YfO3aRLc
View Quote
I just watched Sentimental Journey take off in Mesa, AZ a few weeks ago.  A member of CAF was saying they had just replaced/rebuilt? one engine and replace the wiring harness on another.
Link Posted: 4/18/2023 8:04:15 AM EDT
[#23]
I re-enlisted in the cockpit of the Memphis Belle when she was at Mud Island in Memphis
Link Posted: 4/18/2023 8:07:17 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
My dad is in a group that rebuilt an A-26.  Luckily they were able to acquire a freshly made wing spar so it should be flying for years.
View Quote

There’s a museum in Colorado Springs that does warbird restorations.  They told me they could make the aluminum components for a complete P-51 in about a year.  Their problem is no young blood coming in to learn those skills.
Link Posted: 4/18/2023 8:10:53 AM EDT
[#25]
Museums have been under attack for a long time. Exhibits removed to make room for more "inclusive" displays, not as many private donations, not as many volunteers and 2020 shut the doors on many museums that are still closed or only open a day a week.  

I rather see exhibits out and about for more people to see and appreciate.

The Durango Steam train in Colorado is a great template for how to keep something old up and running and potentially profitable. The same company is currently trying to keep Tuscon studios going.

Get those planes featured in a video game and a whole new generation will fall in love with them.
Link Posted: 4/18/2023 8:29:26 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

There’s a museum in Colorado Springs that does warbird restorations.  They told me they could make the aluminum components for a complete P-51 in about a year.  Their problem is no young blood coming in to learn those skills.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe I'm way off the mark, but would you want to live in colorado springs and probably make 1/4 or less of the $$$ you could make in more gainful employment in the same type of industry? I don't know dick about the aviation restoration scene, but fixing old stuff increasingly becomes more of a passion project for the right type of person interested in the subject matter rather than lucrative careers for any random person with the required skill set. In my limited experience, anyway.

Link Posted: 4/18/2023 8:33:39 AM EDT
[#27]
Hopefully this will be the last B-17 lost. I've worked on war birds built for combat from WWII to VN that were certified to civilian use. They were not built to fly the number of hours, years or environmental conditions (weather, corrosion, imperfect war time heat treat) required for sustained airshow performance. I saw video of two of the airplanes I worked on crash due to structural failure. They need to be put to pasture. And that's not counting pilot/controller error.
Link Posted: 4/18/2023 8:38:46 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Museums have been under attack for a long time. Exhibits removed to make room for more "inclusive" displays, not as many private donations, not as many volunteers and 2020 shut the doors on many museums that are still closed or only open a day a week.  

The Durango Steam train in Colorado is a great template for how to keep something old up and running and potentially profitable. The same company is currently trying to keep Tuscon studios going.

Get those planes featured in a video game and a whole new generation will fall in love with them.
View Quote

Already plenty of popular video games with old planes, tanks, etc. I don't think the problem is lack of interest.
Link Posted: 4/18/2023 8:53:19 AM EDT
[#29]
Crank up the speakers.

The Nine-O-Nine flying over my house. 21 seconds.

Link Posted: 4/18/2023 8:53:20 AM EDT
[#30]

@Gopher

I'm flying aboard the Tri-Motor next Thursday while it's in Tullahoma, TN. I can't wait.

I flew aboard Texas Raiders a couple years ago. It was a true bucket list item for me, as my grandfather was a B-17 pilot in the 381st Bomb Group's 534th Bomb Squadron during early 45. (TR was painted to resemble a 534th plane.)

I've also flown aboard a PT-13 Stearman, which is similar to the PT-17 my grandfather learned to fly during his primary pilot training. (PT-13's and PT-17's differ in the type of engine they have.)

At the end of April, my girlfriend and I are going on a military museum tour of Georgia. First stop is the National Infantry Museum at Fort Benning, followed by a stop at Andersonville Prison. Then, we are visiting the WWII Flight Training Museum in Douglas, GA, where my grandfather attended primary pilot training. They're hosting a Wings & Things Festival and Fly-In, which will have a number of WW2 warbirds (Douglas is also home to The Liberty Foundation, which owns and is restoring a new Liberty Belle B-17). Then, we're driving over to Pooler to visit the 8th Air Force Museum. On the way home, we're stopping in Warner-Robins to visit their Museum of Aviation.

We'll get to see at least 3 B-17's that weekend-The Liberty Belle in Douglas, the City of Savannah in Pooler, and 44-83690 in Warner-Robins.
Link Posted: 4/18/2023 9:06:19 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

I did too.  My wife got me the ~45 for my birthday.  Fantastic ride.
Link Posted: 4/18/2023 9:11:55 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

It's crazy to think the B-17 flew only 26 years after the 1909 Wright Military Flyer, the world's first military airplane.
View Quote

Even more impressive is the B-52 flying it's first flight in 1952, just 43 years after the Wright 1909, and is still in service today.
Link Posted: 4/18/2023 9:18:52 AM EDT
[#33]
How long is 100LL gonna be around? That's the real kicker.
Link Posted: 4/18/2023 9:26:10 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Sentimental Journey has had its wing spars replaced before. Full on machine shop that keeps that bird flying.

There is a shop somewhere in California that made brand new spars for a Helldiver.
View Quote

Alcoa Aluminum in Alcoa, TN made a one off wing spars for a Spitfire a guy was building up. Lead time was around a year and set the guy back $1,000,000.
Link Posted: 4/18/2023 9:31:22 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

And during my time as an aircraft mechanic in the USAF, 26 countries and 6 of 7 continents, you know what the overwhelmingly most common fastener was and probably still is? Yup, the mighty Phillips head screw. From nose to tail, wing leading edges, all over. Screws. Don't knock 'em, especially when most of the high removal panels were quarter turn Zeus fastenters.
Link Posted: 4/18/2023 9:57:33 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

It’s not THE Ye Olde Pub, just a mock-up.  Was Madras Maiden before with a chin turret, and I think some other name before that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cool to see Ye Old Pub is still flying for now. Interesting history behind that plane, and the crew.

It’s not THE Ye Olde Pub, just a mock-up.  Was Madras Maiden before with a chin turret, and I think some other name before that.

Chuckie, if it's the one I'm thinking about.  It was a crop duster based out of Dothan, AL back in the late 60's and early 70's.
Link Posted: 4/18/2023 10:21:58 AM EDT
[#37]
I would like to see the remaining original warbirds preserved for the historical value.

I would also like to see the speculators from the Barrett-Jackson crowd that hijacked the collector-car market from the car-enthusiasts sink their money into building warbird replicas with modernized safety, engineering, and materials to replace the original warbirds on the airshow circuits.

Essentially, create an aviation version of Year One.
Link Posted: 4/18/2023 10:26:41 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Best that can be done. It's hard showing future generations a pile of wreckage and explaining what it used to be.

Link Posted: 4/18/2023 10:27:42 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
The greater loss is the men that flew them are mostly gone.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 4/18/2023 10:38:16 AM EDT
[#40]
I flew in Sentimental Journey about 20 years ago.  It was $500 well spent.  I made a video and sent it to my father who was just thrilled I was able to experience it.  

Go if you still can
Link Posted: 4/18/2023 10:53:22 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

And during my time as an aircraft mechanic in the USAF, 26 countries and 6 of 7 continents, you know what the overwhelmingly most common fastener was and probably still is? Yup, the mighty Phillips head screw. From nose to tail, wing leading edges, all over. Screws. Don't knock 'em, especially when most of the high removal panels were quarter turn Zeus fastenters.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup. I work on commercial airliners, and there are Phillips head screws all over. Also, these screws that look like a Phillips at a glance, but have a slightly different head.

When you peel back the veneer of an airliner or a private jet, they don't look all that different from the inside of a WWII era aircraft.
Link Posted: 4/18/2023 11:00:08 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

It would be nice to see multiplayer games where you could man different positions in the planes. Imagine being a turret gunner on a european raid or a navigator in the pacific theater.
Link Posted: 4/18/2023 11:32:12 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Texas Raiders used to be housed at the airport right behind my house. I got to see her doing touch and go's almost every weekend during the spring and summer.
I miss seeing her. It's sad knowing she's gone.

ETA: I never took a ride, although I had several opportunities. I did crawl through her a few times, though.
View Quote

She flew over my house a few times during air shows, I did the static tour twice but for lack of cash I never got to fly. They were not doing rides last time and I came prepared to pay.
Really regret that now, it’s been a bucket list item.
Link Posted: 4/18/2023 12:36:43 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Send me the drawing numbers (hell, the drawings are probably still in some repository somewhere) and a charge line. We'll get you some spars. They might be composite... But they'll work.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I suppose it will just be a question of money.

You can engineer yourself out of [almost] every situation with enough money. They'll fly again.

Send me the drawing numbers (hell, the drawings are probably still in some repository somewhere) and a charge line. We'll get you some spars. They might be composite... But they'll work.

https://airandspace.si.edu/collections/archival-collections/technical-reference-files

They should have all the technical drawings that Boeing provided to the military for the B-17, but I'm not familiar with the current process of getting copies.  I will warn that, three decades ago, the archives staff seemed to be burned out on getting requests from people that had decided they wanted to build a scaled down replica of some fighter and sent in a request for "everything you have on (insert model of plane)", because they were required to reply with a detailed list of 'everything they have on' and the estimate for the cost of copies, when the guy would only need a few drawings that show various dimensions.

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe I'm way off the mark, but would you want to live in colorado springs and probably make 1/4 or less of the $$$ you could make in more gainful employment in the same type of industry? I don't know dick about the aviation restoration scene, but fixing old stuff increasingly becomes more of a passion project for the right type of person interested in the subject matter rather than lucrative careers for any random person with the required skill set. In my limited experience, anyway.

You might be slightly off the mark, but definitely not way off the mark.

Management wants me to train younger guys to do structural work.  First problem (from my end) is finding younger guys with the correct mindset to be trained to do the work, and since management doesn't have years of experience doing structural work, their opinions on who would be good candidates to train don't always match up with my opinion.  From there, you move on to the issue of whether or not the candidate will stay, or move on to a job with better pay and benefits (working on jets).
Link Posted: 4/18/2023 12:48:07 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
How long is 100LL gonna be around? That's the real kicker.
View Quote

WW2 military planes were not built to run on 100LL.
Link Posted: 4/18/2023 1:01:57 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Fuck that...   There are plenty of dust collectors out there.  

There are a few in the process of being built.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fuck that...   There are plenty of dust collectors out there.  

There are a few in the process of being built.  

A friend from HS/classmate is one of the principals in Champaign Gal. I'm going to check it out when I'm visiting my Brother later this year. They should be getting close...

Link Posted: 4/18/2023 1:17:46 PM EDT
[#47]
I have been in that one.
Link Posted: 4/18/2023 1:22:06 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Sentimental Journey has had its wing spars replaced before. Full on machine shop that keeps that bird flying.

There is a shop somewhere in California that made brand new spars for a Helldiver.
View Quote

Last time it was in town, they canceled all flights - engine issues. I hope to have another chance as my grandfather helped design the bomb bay doors, and it would be awesome to fly in something he worked on.
Link Posted: 4/18/2023 1:37:45 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 4/18/2023 1:47:41 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

@Gopher

I'm flying aboard the Tri-Motor next Thursday while it's in Tullahoma, TN. I can't wait.

I flew aboard Texas Raiders a couple years ago. It was a true bucket list item for me, as my grandfather was a B-17 pilot in the 381st Bomb Group's 534th Bomb Squadron during early 45. (TR was painted to resemble a 534th plane.)

I've also flown aboard a PT-13 Stearman, which is similar to the PT-17 my grandfather learned to fly during his primary pilot training. (PT-13's and PT-17's differ in the type of engine they have.)

At the end of April, my girlfriend and I are going on a military museum tour of Georgia. First stop is the National Infantry Museum at Fort Benning, followed by a stop at Andersonville Prison. Then, we are visiting the WWII Flight Training Museum in Douglas, GA, where my grandfather attended primary pilot training. They're hosting a Wings & Things Festival and Fly-In, which will have a number of WW2 warbirds (Douglas is also home to The Liberty Foundation, which owns and is restoring a new Liberty Belle B-17). Then, we're driving over to Pooler to visit the 8th Air Force Museum. On the way home, we're stopping in Warner-Robins to visit their Museum of Aviation.

We'll get to see at least 3 B-17's that weekend-The Liberty Belle in Douglas, the City of Savannah in Pooler, and 44-83690 in Warner-Robins.
View Quote

Cool.  If you get a chance sit in the last seat on the left side of the cabin. Sitting there watching the door have a half inch gap at the top when is makes a left had turn will make you go.
It's cool to ride in something covered with barn tin.

Attachment Attached File

Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top