Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 10/7/2018 11:07:42 AM EDT
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 11:10:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Wasn’t it only able to go afterburners once before having its engines replaced or something similar?

Edit: I think the above refers to the Mig25.
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 11:14:49 AM EDT
[#2]
I believe the last real dedicated "interceptor" still in service in the world. The fleet has been in service a while too so not sure what kind of upgrades the Rooskies got going for them.. if they can afford it.
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 11:17:19 AM EDT
[#3]
The inside of the cockpit looks like the dashboard of an old tractor.
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 11:17:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 11:18:57 AM EDT
[#5]
The Russians have been effectively out of the combat aircraft business since the captured Germans died and their captured German research went out of date.
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 11:20:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
I like it.
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 11:20:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Service Ceiling 82K Feet.  ATC- Vodka Burner you're cleared climb
maintain Flight Level 820.

Where does controlled airspace end, 60K?
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 11:20:30 AM EDT
[#8]
That’s cool..... but we got this Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 11:22:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Russian products look like they are cobbled together out of recycle soup cans.

ETA; However, Khabib Nurmagomedov did kick Conor McGregor's ass last night in Vegas.
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 11:23:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Propaganda....if it were that great we would have Clint Eastwood go get it in the dark of the night and fly it home.

We would probably have him meet up with a submarine that comes up out of the ice to refuel it.

Some ruskis may chase him around but he would remember to think in Russian at the last second and take them out.

Sound familiar? Shouldn't, I think I just made it all up.

Get the hell out of my head or stop paying rent
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 11:26:07 AM EDT
[#11]
I think someone called that a SAM with a pilot in it.

Seems accurate.
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 11:28:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Wasn’t it only able to go afterburners once before having its engines replaced or something similar?

Edit: I think the above refers to the Mig25.
View Quote
I don't recall them being that maintenance intensive,  but there was definitely a "war emergency" setting that allowed the 25 (and probably 31) to hit speeds around mach 3.1 or 3.2 for a limited time at the expense of pretty much totalling the engines. IIRC the usual "safe" maximum speed was mach 2.8, but I could be totally off base.

ETA according to wikipedia I'm right so I'm probably wrong
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 11:29:38 AM EDT
[#13]
Is this another video that claims that Russian super weapons do super stuff the west can only dream of?
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 11:31:51 AM EDT
[#14]
I’ve always been a fan of the MiG-17. 2x 23mm’s, 1x 37mm, rockets and bombs... Seems like she’d be a good CAS bird.
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 11:33:02 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Another fucktarded report that claims fighters routinely fly around at mach 2 or 3.
View Quote
Did you watch how they put cameras on it?

I wonder how much faster they'd be without the skin all puckered up from the rivets. Or maybe it's like a golfball and helps cut drag.
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 11:38:07 AM EDT
[#16]
That jet looks steampunk as fuck
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 11:39:56 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote
Does it have that beautiful green hue that the Ruskies are so fond of?
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 11:41:02 AM EDT
[#18]
While not as a big of a threat to F-22 or F-35s, this thing could overfly the line and take down all its support aircraft like the AWACS and tankers and all the warm bodies in it.. I'm sure it's a threat that Air Force and Navy don't take too lightly.
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 11:42:50 AM EDT
[#19]
Russia could only ever dream of building something anywhere close to what the SR-71 was. These planes could only do Mach 3 for a very short duration. And then had to have them completely replaced. LOL. Fucking Slav garbage.
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 11:45:05 AM EDT
[#20]

You must post, in Russian...
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 11:47:03 AM EDT
[#21]
I'll start sweating when they improve the 33% failire to launch or land rate on their carriers.
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 11:52:56 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
While not as a big of a threat to F-22 or F-35s, this thing could overfly the line and take down all its support aircraft like the AWACS and tankers and all the warm bodies in it.. I'm sure it's a threat that Air Force and Navy don't take too lightly.
View Quote
I'd tend to agree. I think a lot of folks were looking at the Chengdu J20 as some sort of attempt at a stealthy Mig 25, designed to use speed and low visibility to kill support craft and avoid tangles with frontline fighters.
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 11:52:58 AM EDT
[#23]
I asked my f16 pilot buddies about that jet when it came out;
“It’s fast, dirty radar signature, shoots shitty middles” was the ibstant reply.
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 11:54:27 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote
Intercept it with what ? That piece of shit is slicked. The only payload it can carry is some amazon basic wannabe go pro camera
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 11:54:49 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Propaganda....if it were that great we would have Clint Eastwood go get it in the dark of the night and fly it home.

We would probably have him meet up with a submarine that comes up out of the ice to refuel it.

Some ruskis may chase him around but he would remember to think in Russian at the last second and take them out.

Sound familiar? Shouldn't, I think I just made it all up.

Get the hell out of my head or stop paying rent
View Quote
I remember watching that as a 12 year-old and thinking “man this is some bullshit.” Was entertaining though.
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 11:56:38 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I'd tend to agree. I think a lot of folks were looking at the Chengdu J20 as some sort of attempt at a stealthy Mig 25, designed to use speed and low visibility to kill support craft and avoid tangles with frontline fighters.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That's my thoughts on the J-20 as well. America's enemies need only to target the political will of the American people. A Russian A-50 AWACS getting shot down does little to cause resentment in Russia especially when Pooty controls all the media (hell, look at the IL-20/Syria incident). But a a fully staffed American or NATO E-3 being shot down.. that could change the calculus here..
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 11:59:03 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Intercept it with what ? That piece of shit is slicked. The only payload it can carry is some amazon basic wannabe go pro camera
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So you think all MiG-31s are flying slicked all the time?
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 12:00:18 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote
Most of the time they probably are.

The 6-7 times a year they actually manage to get them off the ground that is.
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 12:02:31 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/7/2018 12:03:41 PM EDT
[#30]
LOLski
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 12:04:05 PM EDT
[#31]
The concept is cool to me as a GenAv pilot.  The Soviet/Federation execution of said concept leaves something to be desired as usual.

The thing that is lost on most posters is this thing is a ultra heavy, supersonic interceptor, not a air superiority fighter.  It was designed to take off from alert airfields and fly at maximum speed to intercept(ground guided long range, on board radar takes over at short range) incoming missiles/bombers with a limited offensive payload.
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 12:05:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
The concept is cool to me as a GenAv pilot.  The Soviet/Federation execution of said concept leaves something to be desired as usual.

The thing that is lost on most posters is this thing is a ultra heavy, supersonic interceptor, not a air superiority fighter.  It was designed to take off from alert airfields and fly at maximum speed to intercept(ground guided long range, on board radar takes over at short range) incoming missiles/bombers with a limited offensive payload.
View Quote
Just gotta scrape the ice off the windshield first.
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 12:06:46 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I’ve always been a fan of the MiG-17. 2x 23mm’s, 1x 37mm, rockets and bombs... Seems like she’d be a good CAS bird.
View Quote
Now's your chance to own one.

Attachment Attached File

https://www.airspacemag.com/flight-today/restoration-mig17-180970367/
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 12:13:18 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Looks armed for short and medium range engagements to me.  Maybe they learned from the Korea Air incident, but I wouldn't chance it.  If I had to guess based on how this one is armed, they might be made to make visual ID before engaging.

Link Posted: 10/7/2018 12:18:22 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
The Russians have been effectively out of the combat aircraft business since the captured Germans died and their captured German research went out of date.
View Quote
Hardly.
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 12:20:02 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote
I'm guessing you've never had to fly against an Su-30MKK or Su-30 MKI.
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 12:20:02 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Seems accurate.
View Quote

As dport pointed out, the kinematics of the shooter are important...This is a MiG-31 with an air launched ballistic missile.
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 12:20:33 PM EDT
[#38]
And it appears the navigator is equipped with a slide rule...
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 12:24:04 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kh-47M2_Kinzhal#/media/File:2018_Moscow_Victory_Day_Parade_66.jpg

As dport pointed out, the kinematics of the shooter are important...This is a MiG-31 with an air launched ballistic missile.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seems accurate.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kh-47M2_Kinzhal#/media/File:2018_Moscow_Victory_Day_Parade_66.jpg

Yeah, when I was looking over my bullshit about air launching a Standard Missile, I was comparing the ranges of the AMRAAM against the SLAMRAAM to get an idea of how much "throw" a jet gives it.

It was fairly significant.
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 12:28:37 PM EDT
[#40]

Link Posted: 10/7/2018 12:34:23 PM EDT
[#41]
They should use it to launch amateur satellites.  Something useful.
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 12:40:56 PM EDT
[#42]
Eastwood would get there to steal it only to find that they have painted a huge white stripe on each side leading to an Adidas logo.
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 12:42:34 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
They should use it to launch amateur satellites.  Something useful.
View Quote
They are now setup as satellite killers.
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 12:43:09 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Is this another video that claims that Russian super weapons do super stuff the west can only dream of?
View Quote
That was standard intelligence out of the CIA right until the wall fell and the USSR collapsed.
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 12:44:26 PM EDT
[#45]
Firefox (1982) - Must Think in Russian
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 12:48:44 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote
I get that.

Imho it’s most impressive/useful possible ability is shooting down satellites.
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 1:00:14 PM EDT
[#47]
Anyone else missing that Primorsky guy right about now?

Remember when he said the Bear bombers were like "sex in skies"
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 1:00:47 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Now's your chance to own one.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/6163/10p_on2018_danmyerstowerguy_live-696904.JPG

https://www.airspacemag.com/flight-today/restoration-mig17-180970367/
Trust me, if I had the money, infrastructure, and flight training, I’d do it.
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 1:01:44 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I get that.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I get that.

It can still serve it's designed purpose, but in today's environment I agree.  Also, it is very useful as a first strike or retaliatory use as a ALBM launch platform(see above).

Link Posted: 10/7/2018 1:12:51 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote
Soviet spies inside the Canadian CF-105 Arrow plant halted production.

The fucking Russians have always been better at copying and reverse engineering, than coming up with new ideas

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top