User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 8:28:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Columbia is such a shit hole.

I would be absolutely livid with your parents.  Under no circumstances will I ever allow LE into my home without a warrant.
View Quote
So you will never call 911, and you will stop the police from chasing a fleeing looter who made it into your house?
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 8:29:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 8:30:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

No exigent circumstances to enter a locked house with no one home.
View Quote

SPNI
FPDNNI
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 8:32:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

So what is the move? Say no to an unconstitutional search just to get fucked on?

View Quote

4th amendment restrains government overreach.

People should monitor their own damned kids.

No warrant.  F you.  (I'm LE)

My dog won't allow strangers in.  Not even cops.  My gate is locked and my yard is very private.  My surveillance cameras record motion.  I'll gladly forward any evidence that I might discover.

Watch your damned kids.  (Worth repeating)
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 8:33:50 PM EDT
[#5]
I personally know zero cops. That means none of them are my friends or buddies. No way am I giving them consent to search my property.
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 8:34:29 PM EDT
[#6]
You're right.  Don't let PoPo into the house.  Anything they see can be seized (consent to enter) or attested to for a search warrant (I saw evidence of drugs).
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 8:37:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Thoughts???
View Quote
Do you want to cause problems between you and your parents?  If the answer is, "no, not really" then don't go down this path.

Your parents were asked about a missing child.  This specific context is important. You probably don't have any missing children in your home, and even if you did, it's best to get the missing children out of your home.  Your parents are operating under this assumption of the former, and even if it was the latter, neither you, nor they would have had anything to do with it.
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 8:40:00 PM EDT
[#8]
So here’s how the discussion goes. mom, dad the next time there is a police officer asking to search the house looking for a missing child and I’m away at the beach I would appreciate it if you politely decline.

Link Posted: 6/24/2020 8:40:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 8:43:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The kid was found unharmed, an alleged miscommunication between the child and the parents.
View Quote
The kid is 3.  What type of miscommunication can you have with a 3 year-old?  Curfew?  Which car he's allow to and not to use?  Having friends over while you're gone?  Whether or not it's acceptable to end a sentence with a preposition? What's going on here?
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 8:47:48 PM EDT
[#11]
No, I don't think you are wrong, but it would have been better to have had that discussion with them prior to leaving them in charge of the house.   I have even told my wife, don't EVER let the police in the house without a warrant, I don't care if they say my hair is on fire upstairs...NEVER.  

There is no need to be rude, disrespectful, or demeaning to the police, just tell them "NO".  If they force their way in without a warrant after they were told "NO", don't fight them at the time, fight them later in court.  Document everything.  I would even document when they were there requesting to come in, and that I told them "NO".  Documenting the contact with the police should read just like any good report....who, what, where, when, why, names, times, descriptions of whomever was there, what they said in great detail.  Getting lazy on reports like that could really either help you at a later time, or bite you in the butt if you don't write it up well.
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 8:52:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

This is the most naive thing I’ve heard in a while.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What's done is done.  Don't damage your relationship with your parents, just politely tell them to never let the police in again if that is your wish.  Also, notes were made of what they observed in your home, bet on it.

Thats the dumbest thing I've heard in a while.

This is the most naive thing I’ve heard in a while.

Maybe not notes but IF they were wearing bodycams there is video of what they saw in their "search".
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 8:52:09 PM EDT
[#13]
did they leave you any gifts?
you know, when they come back later?
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 8:58:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Question to the internet hard asses in this thread...

If it was your child, how much cooperation would you appreciate from others to allow LE to systematically and quickly check off as many places as possible so resources could be directed to other areas?

The failure to search a house where Jessica Lunsford was being held, supposedly unknown to two others living there while John Couey was at work, led to her death. Deputies were at the house while Jessica was being secretly held in a closet but they never conducted a search. Granted, K9 led them in that direction, but IIRC there were no indications per se Jessica was inside the trailer and the occupants told the deputies they had not seen Jessica.

I'm a cop and damn sure don't want other cops in my house, but if they came knocking right now looking for a child, I'd sure as hell let them in ASAP so they could move on quickly and know they were being thorough.
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 8:58:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
So you will never call 911, and you will stop the police from chasing a fleeing looter who made it into your house?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would be absolutely livid with your parents.  Under no circumstances will I ever allow LE into my home without a warrant.

They're gonna need a coroner.
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 8:58:56 PM EDT
[#16]
If I had been home, the conversation would have been:

Thanks for letting me know! We will start checking now. Give me your phone number and I'll call you once we have swept the house and property.

Let it progress from there.  I know my house and yard better than they do, and I can search while they do something else.  It they insist on entry, then either they think I'm a suspect or the kid isn't the reason for the search.
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 8:59:34 PM EDT
[#17]
I find it disheartening how much trust law enforcement had loss with its formally largest backers.
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 9:07:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Jesus, a working TV on top of a broken TV LOL
View Quote

That brings back memories. BTDT.

The one on top the picture is just fine. The one on the bottom the audio is excellent.

Now take a couple handfuls of mushrooms, two joints, a hit of acid and watch "The wizard of Oz" with the sound track from "Sands of Iwo Jima"!

I knew a guy that would do that. I don't know which was funnier. The two TVs or watching him.
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 9:08:48 PM EDT
[#19]
You are correct.
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 9:10:00 PM EDT
[#20]
A kid can fit in a gun safe right, maybe they will be back with a warrant to check inside any spaces where they could fit
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 9:16:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I find it disheartening how much trust law enforcement had loss with its formally largest backers.
View Quote

Yeah; I wouldnt use some of the wingnut responses seen on here as a judge of that
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 9:22:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's what you get when good apples cover up or look the other way when bad apples do bad shit. Just to clarify, I  personally have nothing but good to say about the cops around here, be they city, county, or HP.

As to the search for a lost child, I'd tell the cops that since I keep the doors locked even while I'm inside, there's no way in hell a lost child could have made it into my house. Since my yard isn't fenced, they could feel free to look around the yard, which would take them about 15 seconds. Anything beyond that, and they're going to need a warrant.
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 9:31:27 PM EDT
[#23]
LOVE dogs but this is another reason we don't have one.
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 9:46:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
If they asked your parents (who were lawfully occupying the property) and they gave them permission then they were invited. Personally, if the same thing were happening in my neighborhood, I would probably let them in just so they could eliminate my property as a possibility and get back to finding that kid.

I am also in the habit of keeping EVERYTHING firearms related out of sight. Not so much because I am worried about cops but NOBODY needs to know what I keep in the house.
View Quote

This! Finally a sensible response and one that describes exactly what I would have done as well. I lock up my most expensive guns in the safe whenever I leave the house. If I ever were to have a house sitter, then I would probably also lock up the other guns that I usually leave out of the safe hidden throughout the house (for emergencies in unexpected situations) because I would not want the house sitter to accidentally come across a gun and possibly have an accident or a theft. In such a case there would be no guns or valuables, laying around that cops would be inclined to confiscate if they were allowed to enter to scratch my house off the list of possible kidnapper safe houses. I also know that if cops come wanting to search for a kidnapped child, they would not be able (even if they had a warrant) to search areas where a child could not be hidden, like desk drawers, kitchen drawers, a computer hard drive, glove box of a car, etc.
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 9:48:29 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

No, the dumbest thing I've got out of this is the ending to the story about the parents having a miscommunication with a three year old. Like the kid said he/she was just going to throw a few back with the boys and will be back about 5:00 pm but when 10:00 pm rolled around and baby what ever wasn't back yet the parents began to worry....
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 9:49:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Of course he would. He'd offer sanctuary to a looter or illegal aliens if they were trying to hide from police, or ICE, if they were illegal aliens. That is obviously what he is saying.
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 10:02:28 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
So here’s how the discussion goes. mom, dad the next time there is a police officer asking to search the house looking for a missing child and I’m away at the beach I would appreciate it if you politely decline.
View Quote

and if pressed defend the house with suppressive fire while dad lights the burners.
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 10:03:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Lawsuit.  Police are forking out millions to shitbag home invaders and felons why not a law abiding citizen?
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/24/2020 10:31:56 PM EDT
[#29]
Never agree to a voluntary search
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 10:33:47 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What's done is done.  Don't damage your relationship with your parents, just politely tell them to never let the police in again if that is your wish.  Also, notes were made of what they observed in your home, bet on it.

Really?  You don't think they take notes?  They sure as hell do in my county and then share with units (and the entire world) responding to any future calls no matter how mundane.

This is just one example I've recorded. https://www.dropbox.com/s/5opism91edjzluv/dispatch.mp3?dl=0

I now know of several houses with large quantities of guns.  Occasionally hear about someone with a registered machine gun.
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 11:14:07 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

All bullshit aside, I came here with this attitude, and I'll likely leave with this attitude.

Link Posted: 6/24/2020 11:17:23 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
They should have said no and that they would check inside and around the house. Then if they find anything they will call 911.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/24/2020 11:23:05 PM EDT
[#33]
The kid was found unharmed, an alleged miscommunication between the child and the parents.
View Quote

WHAT!!!!???

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 11:30:48 PM EDT
[#34]
Tell them please don't let the police in to my house
Sounds good to old people let us check.  Can't trust
anyone today.  There are good cops and bad cops.
But in today's world you can't be sure who to trust.
When cops want to talk to you at the station and
then lie to you or try to threaten you for dirt on somebody else.  My buddy was treated like that and
put in jail.  Long story short they had nothing at all
on him he just knew the wrong person.  In the end
he sued the city and got $70000.00 for the bull they
pulled on him.  Being a cop today is not same as it was years ago.   But also people have changed as well maybe that is part of the problem?.  

Link Posted: 6/24/2020 11:31:44 PM EDT
[#35]

"i'm running away and never coming back"

*grabs a backpack, a blanket, a cup, some crayons and a coloring book and goes and hides behind the garage*

*Comes back in 20 minutes later because they have to poop*
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 12:09:33 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Of course he would. He'd offer sanctuary to a looter or illegal aliens if they were trying to hide from police, or ICE, if they were illegal aliens. That is obviously what he is saying.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you understand that "never" is an absolute term? Does he?

Is there a moron school I am unaware of?
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 12:13:09 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Op, you remember the girl in Cayce that went missing?  The police don't take chances anymore.  If you don't let them search you are suspect #1
View Quote

Ridiculous
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 12:25:41 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Yeah; I wouldnt use some of the wingnut responses seen on here as a judge of that
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Some of them have never supported cops.
Then again NC may been using sarcasm.
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 12:30:39 AM EDT
[#39]
At my house, you should never let the cats out or the cops in.

I’m gonna make me a sign.
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 12:34:12 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
At my house, you should never let the cats out or the cops in.

I'm gonna make me a sign.
View Quote

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top