Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 8
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 2:10:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Quite significantly, they’re not rifled.
View Quote
Just because YOU personally don't know how to rifle them in your garage or basement doesn't mean engineers can't.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 2:11:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Just because YOU personally don't know how to rifle them in your garage or basement doesn't mean engineers can't.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quite significantly, they’re not rifled.
I love this place so much.

@AeroE
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 2:13:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quote: "This is a must have. I'm an aerospace technologist and inconel is the same material used in the x-wing to break the sound barrier. [1]  You want this. If these came standard in the early stages of the Vietnam war there wouldn't have been bad reputations. [2] Have you seen a stainless steel gas tube melt? Well you won't see it ever again with one of these gas tubes 100% I put my life on it. V SEVEN is breaking barriers with all their technologies, very smart people at work here!"
View Quote
1) X-wing?  Really?

I didn't realize the X-wing was in service.

2. Really, it would have solved the problem with Ball propellant fouling and high cyclic rate?  Fascinating!

3. [sarcasm]Yup, you sound like an "aerospace technologist" . . .[/sarcasm]

The military has 56 years of testing, with literally millions of rounds sent down range in the process, published exactly one report where gas tube failure occurred (this one).  And, that happened after the test weapon fired 810 rounds in 4 minutes, 11 seconds, averaging 3.22 rounds per second. Yup, that is a normal firing schedule that justifies the 10X the cost.

Fools and money, didn't someone have a saying about that?
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 2:15:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

There are 3 or 4 SME's here who disagree with me and their reasons were "it's not cost effective."

But the engineers over at V Seven who make AR 15's disagree with you and the SME's here.  Since when has the entire scientific community agreed with 3 SME's here?  Do the 3 SME's here represent all engineers globally?

Do the SME's here support the DI platform or the short stroke piston platform?

Do the SMEs here agree with the U.S. Marines switching over to the more expensive HK M27 IAR or want to keep using the Colt DI ?

The owner, engineers and tribologists at Cherry Balmz disagree with the 3 SME's here on proper lubrication for the AR 15 who thought using CLP and oil in a open operating system was the proper way to lubricate a AR 15 DI system...

https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/CherryBalmz-vs-SlideGlide/5-2105715/
View Quote
It isn't cost effective. That is an absolute, undisputed FACT. Some of these exotic materials may offer a quantifiable advantage over current AR materials. Nobody here disputes that. The hang up is that quantifiable advantage is not enough to justify the investment to make the change. V7 makes good stuff but is a small boutique parts manufacturer whose customers are an individual can spend their money as they choose on exotic parts regardless of the true value. A procurement from the government with tons of bean counters cannot spend in the same fashion. The purchase has to be justified. Otherwise you'd see Honda Accords constructed in carbon fiber.

I think this is a really cool discussion (especially if we dealt more in the metrics of benefits/improvements a specific material may bring to the table) but your continuous refusal to listen to some smart people who have experience in the business is getting old. This is a business 101 lesson.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 2:16:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

There are 3 or 4 SME's here who disagree with me and their reasons were "it's not cost effective."

But the engineers over at V Seven who make AR 15's disagree with you and the SME's here.  Since when has the entire scientific community agreed with 3 SME's here?  Do the 3 SME's here represent all engineers globally?

Do the SME's here support the DI platform or the short stroke piston platform?

Do the SMEs here agree with the U.S. Marines switching over to the more expensive HK M27 IAR or want to keep using the Colt DI ?

The owner, engineers and tribologists at Cherry Balmz disagree with the 3 SME's here on proper lubrication for the AR 15 who thought using CLP and oil in a open operating system was the proper way to lubricate a AR 15 DI system...

I notice a trend here.  When a company that has a product that was designed by engineers releases it to the public you have 3 SME's here who bad mouth it.

SME's here have bad mouthed short stroke piston AR's (HK's, POF's)

SME's here bad mouth advanced lubricants engineered by people smarter then them.

Which SME's here designed, produced and built their own AR's with their own factory with their own materials?

There's a reason why Jim Fuller no longer posts on the AK forums because the garage builder "engineers" thought Rifle Dynamics were too expensive for their $600 AK's.

Again, the biggest fear of people here isn't that it's not possible, it's just their fear is the industry might move away from their precious 1960's Colt DI system.
View Quote
Well, I can see you mind is made up.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 2:19:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

It isn't cost effective. That is an absolute, undisputed FACT. Some of these exotic materials may offer a quantifiable advantage over current AR materials. Nobody here disputes that. The hang up is that quantifiable advantage is not enough to justify the investment to make the change. V7 makes good stuff but is a small boutique parts manufacturer whose customers are an individual can spend their money as they choose on exotic parts regardless of the true value. A procurement from the government with tons of bean counters cannot spend in the same fashion. The purchase has to be justified. Otherwise you'd see Honda Accords constructed in carbon fiber.

I think this is a really cool discussion (especially if we dealt more in the metrics of benefits/improvements a specific material may bring to the table) but your continuous refusal to listen to some smart people who have experience in the business is getting old. This is a business 101 lesson.
View Quote
We're dealing with the next Preston Tucker here.  Best that this thread gets moved to GD where it belongs.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 2:19:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
As if Inconel hasn't been used in mass production for consumers?

(long list of automotive products C/P from Wikipedia)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
As if Inconel hasn't been used in mass production for consumers?

(long list of automotive products C/P from Wikipedia)
Quoted:Please explain how the requirements of these system equates to the requirements of a rifle barrel?
Quoted:

Mass produced for customers.

It's been subjected to corrosive environments.

Workable.

High heat applicable.
I'm sorry but that response is just asking for this:

HKPOF, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational answer to the question. Everyone reading this thread is now dumber for having read it. You have no clue to what the requirements for a rifle barrel are, and may God have mercy on your soul.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 2:21:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

HKPOF, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational answer to the question. Everyone reading this thread is now dumber for having read it. You have no clue to what the requirements for a rifle barrel are, and may God have mercy on your soul.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mass produced for customers.

It's been subjected to corrosive environments.

Workable.

High heat applicable.

Oh hold on. We just need the right engineer to figure it out. Engineers know everything. You’re not an engineer so you’re just dumb.

Link Posted: 11/7/2019 2:27:00 PM EDT
[#9]
I appreciate all of the knowledge and input in this thread. If somebody is committed to doing the machining, I'll do my best to get material to them. PM me what you need.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 2:28:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

1) X-wing?  Really?

I didn't realize the X-wing was in service.

https://static.turbosquid.com/Preview/2015/10/14__02_29_23/xwingtopleft_01_open_01.jpgb5dc9c7c-25bc-44f8-88ba-50e41873111aZoom.jpg

2. Really, it would have solve the problem with Ball propellant fouling and high cyclic rate?  Fascinating!

3. [sarcasm]Yup, you sound like an "aerospace technologist" . . .[/sarcasm]

The military has 56 years of testing, with literally millions of rounds sent down range in the process, published exactly one report where gas tube failure occurred (this one).  And, that happened after the test weapon fired 810 rounds in 4 minutes, 11 seconds, averaging 3.22 rounds per second. Yup, that is a normal firing schedule that justifies the 10X the cost.
View Quote
I never said I was an aerospace engineer or said anything about any X-Wing, I posted from a website from someone who posted a review who said that.  Go back to page 3 where it is.  Nice try.

And where's your engineering degree?  Get on webcam or skype and show us.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 2:30:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Do any of you agree or disagree with the U.S. Marines decision to switch to the HK M27 IAR?
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 2:32:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Has anyone on this thread ever built their own rifles from their own factory with their own materials?

Who are the engineers here?

Get on webcam or skype and show us your degrees Msc in engineering,  minors in mathematics etc.

We got a bunch of garage builders here with low IQ's.  lol
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 2:33:20 PM EDT
[#13]
If I can remember, there was a lot of division inside the Congress and DOD to buy the more expensive HK M27 rifles for the Marines.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 2:36:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

When you can get the courage to get on skype or webcam and show the world all those degrees in engineering and mathematics on your wall and your resume and all the things you discovered and invented.

Bitter drunk garage builders with low IQ's.

No wonder Jim Fuller laughed at you guys and left.

Look at the questions the ""engineers" here asked the owner of Cherry Balmz  lol

The "engineers" here had no idea of tribology and proper lubrication.
View Quote
If you "have all the answers" already why come ask questions to low IQ builders? In any case I'm done here. I gave you the benefit of the doubt at first but have lost patience.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 2:39:40 PM EDT
[#15]
@BURN
@Fat_McNasty
@badkarmaii
@40xb
@RictusGrin

Hey come look at this.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 2:43:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 2:45:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 2:46:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

If you "have all the answers" already why come ask questions to low IQ builders? In any case I'm done here. I gave you the benefit of the doubt at first but have lost patience.
View Quote
I don't have all the answers and never said I did have all the answers.  I never once claimed to be an engineer.  I'm not the one claimed to be a "SME" but about 3 people did here.  But I have yet to see any evidence anyone who posted here actually has a degree in engineering or chemistry or physics or mathematics.

Real engineers and owners of companies have come to this website only to have faceless people behind computers attack them.  Owners and engineers who work for Cherry Balmz lubricants came here to discuss their products were met with immature nonsense.

Jim Fuller at Rifle Dynamics was attacked by faceless people on these forums.  Jim Fuiler has a company that releases AK 47's.  Do any "SME's" here do that?  Let's see their products and compare.

The supposed brilliant "SME's" here are happy with their 1960's Colt DI guns and for some reason.

Usually engineers and people in physics talk and think like Neil Degrasse Tyson and aren't scared of change.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 2:47:28 PM EDT
[#19]
How could I forget?

@Ridgerunner9876
@Kuraki
@TinSpinner
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 2:47:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Inconel is exceptional for use in high pressure, high temp (absolute temp and temp delta) applications...but it's pricey and a massive pain to work with.
View Quote
Imagine having to produce all 5.4 million M1 Rifles with that stuff?

Or all 8 million M16s?

Better save it for autocannons.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 2:47:52 PM EDT
[#21]
The U.S. military I guess thought that there was more upside and a higher ceiling of development with the short stroke piston than the DI.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 2:48:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Calls for backup because he can't debate one on one.  "Hey guys come here!  Quick!!!  Waaaa waaaa"  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
@BURN
@Fat_McNasty
@badkarmaii
@40xb
@RictusGrin

Hey come look at this.
Calls for backup because he can't debate one on one.  "Hey guys come here!  Quick!!!  Waaaa waaaa"  
I’ll make you famous.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 2:50:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Has anyone on this thread ever built their own rifles from their own factory with their own materials?

Who are the engineers here?

Get on webcam or skype and show us your degrees Msc in engineering,  minors in mathematics etc.

We got a bunch of garage builders here with low IQ's.  lol
View Quote
Define "factory".

What's in your wallet?

While I have a Bachelor's of Science in Aerospace Engineering, I will be the first to say that you don't need an expensive piece of paper to "engineer".  But what you do need is an understanding of how to go about "engineering".  Someone back at the beginning on this thread outlined what that process is, but you have ignored it.  Others have tried to guide you to do some basic research on what the actual requirements are for barrels and other gun related things.  Again you resisted.

Now most of those that were trying to be helpful have formed a slightly different opinion and are posting accordingly.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 2:50:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I don't have all the answers and never said I did have all the answers.  I never once claimed to be an engineer.  I'm not the one claimed to be a "SME" but about 3 people did here.  But I have yet to see any evidence anyone who posted here actually has a degree in engineering or chemistry or physics or mathematics.

Real engineers and owners of companies have come to this website only to have faceless people behind computers attack them.  Owners and engineers who work for Cherry Balmz lubricants came here to discuss their products were met with immature nonsense.

Jim Fuller at Rifle Dynamics was attacked by faceless people on these forums.  Jim Fuiler has a company that releases AK 47's.  Do any "SME's" here do that?  Let's see their products and compare.

The supposed brilliant "SME's" here are happy with their 1960's Colt DI guns and for some reason.

Usually engineers and people in physics talk and think like Neil Degrasse Tyson and aren't scared of change.
View Quote
Is this you, Jim Fuller? This is about the 3rd or 4th time you've dropped that name.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 2:51:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Zia has built me a high end precision bolt action. I am on his list for at least another 3.
View Quote
So what?  People put together part kits all the time.

Did Zoe or Zia manufacture those parts in house from his own manufacturing company or did he buy the parts from vendors and assemble them in his garage?

But, here's the thing about frankenstein kit builds, those guns are the first to stop working at carbine classes according to Pat Rodgers.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 2:54:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
You just happened to disagree with people (many engineers) who work in the very field you are asking about. Let's see, do I go with the lone, renegade opinion that has no engineering background or maybe the shared opinion by a few SME's (and engineers) with possibly decades of experience? That's a tough one to choose.

Signed,
BS Industrial Engineering-Clemson University
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 2:54:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Define "factory".

https://i.imgur.com/sPFo4aA.jpg?1
https://i.imgur.com/k9f7at9.jpg?2
https://i.imgur.com/fhmPU9c.jpg?1

What's in your wallet?

While I have a Bachelor's of Science in Aerospace Engineering, I will be the first to say that you don't need an expensive piece of paper to "engineer".  But what you do need is an understanding of how to go about "engineering".  Someone back at the beginning on this thread outlined what that process is, but you have ignored it.  Others have tried to guide you to do some basic research on what the actual requirements are for barrels and other gun related things.  Again you resisted.

Now most of those that were trying to be helpful have formed a slightly different opinion and are posting accordingly.
View Quote
Now put that through one of Pat Rodgers and Reid Hendrichs courses and see if it can go hard core 5k rounds in 2 days without malfunctioning.

Or, ohhhhh please send that rifle to Battlefield Las Vegas and let them put that on the line for customers to use, your guns would be destroyed in less than a week.

There's a reason why the U.S. military didn't ask you to build them rifles.  
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 2:54:47 PM EDT
[#28]
Heat resistance is not the only thing barrels need.

As research on molten salt reactors increases, we may well see new alloys that surpass existing ones in both heat resistance and corrosion resistance.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 2:55:22 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I love this place so much.

@AeroE
View Quote
LOL! Ya like what do you know Zia about barrels!
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 2:56:49 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

You just happened to disagree with people (many engineers) who work in the very field you are asking about. Let's see, do I go with the lone, renegade opinion that has no engineering background or maybe the shared opinion by a few SME's (and engineers) with possibly decades of experience? That's a tough one to choose.

Signed,
BS Industrial Engineering-Clemson University
View Quote
And I agree with the engineers who work at V Seven who actually produce their own AR 15's.

I also agree with the engineers at HK, LMT, KAC, POF who are using non-disclosed alloys in their BCG's.

Not just random garage builders here who LOVE LMT Enhanced BCG's for their kit builds.  So what are the exact materials used in HK, LMT, KAC, POF bcg's?  Basic steel and aluminum?  
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 3:00:36 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I never said I was an aerospace engineer or said anything about any X-Wing, I posted from a website from someone who posted a review who said that.  Go back to page 3 where it is.  Nice try.

And where's your engineering degree?  Get on webcam or skype and show us.
View Quote
If you bothered to read my post you would have seen my remarks were aimed at the "internet SME" that claimed Inconel gas tubes were a "must-have", not you.....

unless....
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 3:02:37 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
@BURN
@Fat_McNasty
@badkarmaii
@40xb
@RictusGrin

Hey come look at this.
View Quote
Uh, ya..

So, how are you going to rifle the tube? And ream the chamber? Ya a hastaloy/inconell barrel would be tits in an overbored cartridge. But how ya going to make it? Once all said and done your going to have a $2K+ barrel, that's before fitting and final install. Out of the realm of most shooters.

I've machined both materials in Question and both suck balls.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 3:02:45 PM EDT
[#33]
A CHF chrome lined barrel lasts 80,000 rounds and costs $300.

Unless these wonder metals weigh less than aluminum, what's the point?
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 3:03:10 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

If you bothered to read my post you would have seen my remarks were aimed at the "internet SME" that claimed Inconel gas tubes were a "must-have", not you.....

unless....
View Quote
Didn't you know reviews on the manufacturer's website were the most trusted sources of information?
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 3:03:23 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Now put that through one of Pat Rodgers and Reid Hendrichs courses and see if it can go hard core 5k rounds in 2 days without malfunctioning.

Or, ohhhhh please send that rifle to Battlefield Las Vegas and let them put that on the line for customers to use, your guns would be destroyed in less than a week.

There's a reason why the U.S. military didn't ask you to build them rifles.  
View Quote
What have you produced?

Link Posted: 11/7/2019 3:08:06 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I’ll make you famous.
View Quote
LOL. You are a professional shit disturber.

That's why I like you.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 3:08:31 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:Usually engineers and people in physics talk and think like Neil Degrasse Tyson and aren't scared of change.
View Quote
Yet, even Neil D. Tyson doesn't advocate going to Alpha Centauri next year....
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 3:09:25 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

LOL. You are a professional shit disturber.

That's why I like you.
View Quote
Ya, he is..
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 3:14:27 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Uh, ya..

So, how are you going to rifle the tube? And ream the chamber? Ya a hastaloy/inconell barrel would be tits in an overbored cartridge. But how ya going to make it? Once all said and done your going to have a $2K+ barrel, that's before fitting and final install. Out of the realm of most shooters.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
@BURN
@Fat_McNasty
@badkarmaii
@40xb
@RictusGrin

Hey come look at this.
Uh, ya..

ECM

Not exactly whizz bang for production but it works. I had a Wilson ECM poly rifled barrel blank. Benefit was it was dead as fried chicken. ECM and then cryo treated. I wish I would have kept it and finished that project. Too many irons in the fire.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 3:19:01 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

When you can get the courage to get on skype or webcam and show the world all those degrees in engineering and mathematics on your wall and your resume and all the things you discovered and invented.

Bitter drunk garage builders with low IQ's.

No wonder Jim Fuller laughed at you guys and left.

Look at the questions the ""engineers" here asked the owner of Cherry Balmz  lol

The "engineers" here had no idea of tribology and proper lubrication.
View Quote
I’m an engineer....not in the gun industry....regardless I wouldn’t be posting proof to a random dummy on a forum.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 3:19:49 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

ECM

Not exactly whizz bang for production but it works. I had a Wilson ECM poly rifled barrel blank. Benefit was it was dead as fried chicken. ECM and then cryo treated. I wish I would have kept it and finished that project. Too many irons in the fire.
View Quote
that's what I was thinking as well, on how to do it. What was the surface finish like on the riffling/chamber? I know you could go carbide on the reamer, and eat them quick. Carbide reamers are not cheap, even with me having PTG in my AO.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 3:22:07 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

What have you produced?

View Quote
First, I'm NOT an engineer obviously and never on this website ever claimed to be one.  I never claimed to build rifles.

I created a thread and soon the garage kit builders jumped in who claimed to be engineers with pessimistic defeatist attitudes about the possibility of using expensive materials.

There's a reason why the supposed "engineers" here aren't being hired by Elon Musk and Tesla or any company that demands aggressive creating thinking and pushing the limits.  Remember, some people want forever AK 47's to be $200-$600 stamped and AR's to be $700-$900 Colt DI's and never change and when those guns which are cheaper have malfunctions they trash them and attack the company.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 3:22:59 PM EDT
[#43]
I like this guy, he’s the best name dropper I’ve seen in a while. Ignorant as fuck, but amusing .

HKPOF, how have you enjoyed the pat rodgers courses you’ve been to?
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 3:24:38 PM EDT
[#44]
Looks like I missed all the technical fun.

FWIW, practicality has to be a consideration when looking at materials. "Ultimate" is rarely that high on the list. "Good enough" "Cost effective" "Price point" and shit like that are.

Also, "high temperature" is not the entire story when picking an abrasion resistant material for high temp applications. What works inside turbine engines is different than what works on a nozzle of an injection mold or a machinegun barrel.

We may be able to find a super material to make car tires from that would last 500k miles. What of it, if they cost three times what the car does and exceed the life of the car by 2.5 times?

Nothing wrong with dreaming. But real life will always have final say on what's practical.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 3:28:23 PM EDT
[#45]
Pat Rogers on people who bring their kit build guns to his courses...

"Parts guns
Parts ain't parts. If you get your stuff from gun shows and garage sales, don't expect quality I had a guy in a recent class bragging on T1 that he built his carbine for $400 and "it is just as good as..." That feternoon it wouldn't ectract. The extractor was worn snooth and then re park'd; the extractot spring was flat (no joke) and the insert was just crumbs. We replaced it all. On T3 his bolt broke in half
."

https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/What_Parts_Break_in_a_Carbine_Course_____Thread_summaries_are_on_pages_48_49/118-360169/?
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 3:28:38 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Looks like I missed all the technical fun.

FWIW, practicality has to be a consideration when looking at materials. "Ultimate" is rarely that high on the list. "Good enough" "Cost effective" "Price point" and shit like that are.

Also, "high temperature" is not the entire story when picking an abrasion resistant material for high temp applications. What works inside turbine engines is different than what works on a nozzle of an injection mold or a machinegun barrel.

We may be able to find a super material to make car tires from that would last 500k miles. What of it, if they cost three times what the car does and exceed the life of the car by 2.5 times?

Nothing wrong with dreaming. But real life will always have final say on what's practical.
View Quote
but that overbore though! think a 6mm-284 that would last more than 1k rounds! the squeaker shooters would be in heaven! And Fat would lose out on all that sweet, sweet cash for putting new tubes on their actions every year.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 3:31:57 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Now we're talking.  But, are you referring to fully automatic for 100,000 rounds?  Now that's pushing the boundaries.
View Quote
I believe that a guy already made the metal... Rearden something... he disappeared into the mountains while back though...
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 3:32:21 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

that's what I was thinking as well, on how to do it. What was the surface finish like on the riffling/chamber? I know you could go carbide on the reamer, and eat them quick. Carbide reamers are not cheap, even with me having PTG in my AO.
View Quote
It was not chambered yet. Material was 420 iirc which is a mold steel (really fine grain structure). Rifling was lapped and it was gorgeous.

Contrary to our budding scientistengineergunsmith's opinion, hasteloy would not be better than something like stellite, CMP-REX 76 or CPM10V, or some of the other super abrasion resistant alloys.

But, if a nerd really wanted a barrel made of one, ECMing the chamber would be no harder (easier, actually) than doing the rifling. Alignment could require some precision fixturing that you wouldn't need in a conventional process. Plus, those machines are NASTY.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 3:32:51 PM EDT
[#49]
Stellite has been the U.S.'s preferred liner material for small arms since WWII.  It's a cobalt-chrome alloy that it very hard and erosion-resistant.  I believe it is investment-cast (including the rifling), and the outside is ground to provide a repeatable interference fit with the steel portion of the barrel. It has very nearly the same modulus of elasticity and thermal expansion coefficient as a low-alloy steel, such as 4150, making it highly compatible.

Stellite is relatively ineffective for use in bigger guns - I have some documents that state molybdenum and tantalum are highly effective in mitigating erosion.

Stellite is shrunk-fit in barrels,  whereas I believe tantalum is explosively formed to the steel gun tube.

The problem with an AR-15 barrel is that you don't really have a lot of wall thickness to work with, especially at the extreme rear, where it is threaded.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 3:33:14 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Did Zoe or Zia manufacture those parts in house from his own manufacturing company or did he buy the parts from vendors and assemble them in his garage?

But, here's the thing about frankenstein kit builds, those guns are the first to stop working at carbine classes according to Pat Rodgers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Zia has built me a high end precision bolt action. I am on his list for at least another 3.

Zia mines his own damn iron and other ingredients from the Earth.  By hand.  

The barrels he's done for me won't shoot better than half-MOA unless I'm really paying attention to what I'm doing, both behind the gun and on the loading bench.  In his defense, he only barreled one of those rifles, so I could have caused the lack of performance in the others while being Dr. Frankenstein in my garage.  My last trip to the range had a 3-round zero confirmation with an AR-10 in 6.5C, including cold bore shot, all within 0.25" of POA, but his barrel likely had nothing to do with that.

In all seriousness, I'm not interested in acquiring barrels by anyone but Zia.  Just how it is.
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top