BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 8:14:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Next time I go there I really want to see the Auburn Cord Duesenberg museum.  My wife isn't a car buff but she says it's awesome.
View Quote

It is pretty neat.  

Click me.

They have a Colt Thompson on display that John Dillinger stole.

@California_Kid
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 8:40:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

It is pretty neat.  

Click me.

@California_Kid
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Next time I go there I really want to see the Auburn Cord Duesenberg museum.  My wife isn't a car buff but she says it's awesome.

It is pretty neat.  

Click me.

@California_Kid
I remember Cords, there were some floating around when I was a little kid.

Duesenbergs were before my time, and if there were any still around I was not aware of what they were.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 8:45:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I remember Cords, there were some floating around when I was a little kid.

Duesenbergs were before my time, and if there were any still around I was not aware of what they were.
View Quote

I've seen Duesenbergs in the wild twice.  Once on La Jolla Shores Drive when I was working at a little grocery store there.  The driver was Red Skelton.  I waved, and he waved back at me.

The second time was on the 405 freeway southbound in San Juan Capistrano.  I didn't recognize the driver, but the car sounded extremely cool.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 9:20:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Watch out for the corn gods, seeking restitution?  More than one vehicle has been damaged or totaled at a corner with the corn growing up next to a intersection on county roads and even county highways!
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 9:23:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
This feels like a really good Indiana hometown thread.  

Question:

If I buy a bunch of steel and host a shoot that involves a bunch of natural terrain, and then grilling and camping, would people be interested in kicking in $10 to cover the cost of the steel?

I have enough room that I could probably get 50+ people and that $10 would include a whole bunch of pulled pork barbecue and room for people with campers, etc.  

Sort of a Cola Warrior event without the puking and the peeps.   Or with puking and peeps if that is your thing.
View Quote

Would be worth the drive e depending on your location?
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 9:38:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Question:

If I buy a bunch of steel and host a shoot that involves a bunch of natural terrain, and then grilling and camping, would people be interested in kicking in $10 to cover the cost of the steel?

I have enough room that I could probably get 50+ people and that $10 would include a whole bunch of pulled pork barbecue and room for people with campers, etc.  

Sort of a Cola Warrior event without the puking and the peeps.   Or with puking and peeps if that is your thing.
View Quote

Yup!
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 10:23:55 PM EDT
[#7]
I’d be in depending how far from my AO.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 11:16:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Question:

View Quote
I have a buddy that makes steel targets and sells them at the 1500. I'm in and could always see what he could do for us.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 11:30:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Kroger country.

https://www.scrapehero.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/Kroger_USA.png

And I think this is misleading, as Kroger now owns other brands that appear to be rolled up into this map. Those east coast locations are probably Harris Teeter, for example.

View Quote

Yep, Kroger is bigtime, not any little "local" biz anymore...they own the Ralph's and Food4Less chains out in CA, and probably own others chains in other states as well.

ETA also been a few years since I was in Indiana, since I was transferred out to SoCal for work, but last time I was in a small mom-and-pop diner place out aways (Kokomo? Fairmont?) they still had smoking and non-smoking "sections" in the little place. It was probably 10 years ago or so, so that has probably changed by now, but it definitely was one of the last holdouts, lol.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 1:05:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Question:

View Quote

In!
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 1:46:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Question:

View Quote
@Vespid_Wasp , yes.  I would be down for that.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 1:54:28 AM EDT
[#12]
I worked a season flying crop dusters up there , met some really cool people.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 1:00:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I worked a season flying crop dusters up there , met some really cool people.
View Quote

Do any work in Jackson County?   If so I enjoyed watching you buzz my house!
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 12:38:43 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Born and raised in French Lick. The train goes right by my property, about two miles from Bird's old home.
View Quote

My GF and I went to some old resort/mineral spring place there back 20 years ago in December. It was interesting out in the hot tub at night watching the steam turn to snow right above my head. That was an interesting old place.
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 12:41:44 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Question:

View Quote

Can Yankees really cook legit BBQ?
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 1:09:41 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Do any work in Jackson County?   If so I enjoyed watching you buzz my house!
View Quote

I don't think we went that far to the east , I was based out of Mooresville.
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 1:11:53 AM EDT
[#17]
Moving to Indiana. What to expect?
View Quote
Rough, very rough two lane interstate system with 18 wheeler's blocking both lanes.

Link Posted: 2/2/2021 1:14:38 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
There's more than corn in Indiana.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/2/2021 1:17:18 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

At least they don't have the queen governor like MI.

Pizza King,, remember those two words - Arnies in Lafayette was my all time favorite, but most make a good pie
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
There's more than corn in Indiana.

At least they don't have the queen governor like MI.

Pizza King,, remember those two words - Arnies in Lafayette was my all time favorite, but most make a good pie

We had Purdue football season tickets when I was in junior high and high school. Arnie’s was our stop after the game.  

Junior salad and a pizza ftmfw
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 10:47:19 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Rough, very rough two lane interstate system with 18 wheeler's blocking both lanes.

View Quote
When I was a kid there were quite a few three-lane highways in Indiana, but they turned out to not be a very good idea.

Many folks came to a bad end by pulling out to pass just as someone going in the opposite direction did the same thing.

Not sure what they did with them, likely just turned them into two-lane roads.
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 2:30:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

There has been a lot of work in the last decade or so to make I65 much better.  Been a big PITA for us since you couldn't go more than a few miles between road construction lane closures.   I65 is pretty good now from Indy to Louisville, with much of it growing to 3 lanes each direction with a shoulder.

Link Posted: 2/2/2021 2:35:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I don't think we went that far to the east , I was based out of Mooresville.
View Quote

Ok, yeah, that would be a pretty long hop in a crop duster.   The guy that flies up here comes up from somewhere in the south and parks his RV in the hangar and flies pretty much non stop during the prime of the season.  I got this picture a few years ago of him below the roof line of the neighbor's house as he was spraying a cornfield on the other side of the road.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

That thing still has a big radial engine in it, so I feel like I'm in a WWII movie getting strafed by enemy fighters sometimes when he's coming in over the house.  

OP, yes, that is one of the nice things about living here...you get to watch cropdusters in action, and not the kind that frequent gun shows!
Page / 6
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top