View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Ahem, that would be a chairwoman...

ChairThey
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 10:47:29 PM EDT
[#2]
We knew that when the meat puppet got installed……
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 11:03:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Yeah but California as a state is running off business. My former employer was based in California for over 30 years. Then moved the headquarters to Florida. It is still in Florida
View Quote

Newsom is so bad that he drove out the "greenest" company in the world - Tesla.  How's that for an awesome resume?
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 11:12:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

The buildup in military spending that occurred during the Reagan admin came after the runaway inflation of the late 70s and early 80s had stopped.  Not vice versa as you state.

You should take some of your own advice about books.  

View Quote

Stopped?  LOL you.  My first mortgage, in 1983, was 12%.  It was still 9% in about 1987, when I refied.  9%.  Well into Reagan's second term. which began in Jan. 1985.

Here's Reagan's record on the military buildup:

Reagan sharply accelerated the massive military buildup started by the Carter administration in response to the Soviet intervention in Afghanistan.[62] This buildup, a 40% real increase in defense spending,[63] included the revival of the B-1 bomber program, which had been cancelled by the Carter administration;[64] the deployment of Pershing II missiles in West Germany; the increased enlistment of thousands of troops; and a more advanced intelligence system.[64]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domestic_policy_of_the_Ronald_Reagan_administration

You have no clue.  None.  I lived it.  I was a grown-ass man at the time.  With a mortgage and a family.  What were you doing at the time?

Books.  Get one.  Read one.

Link Posted: 5/12/2023 11:16:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Reagan spent a lot on the military and broke up the Soviet Union.   Reagan's tax cuts also greatly increased federal tax receipts.

I will have to look at the US debt as a function of time but I doubt that Reagan caused anything like happened with Obama, Trump and the flawed COVID spending and now with that senile asswipe in the White House.

Reagan was a great president.    I voted for him.....twice.
View Quote

Me too.  Twice.  It wasn't my first POTUS election, either.

I still worship the Holy Trinity - Ronald Reagan, Margaret Thatcher, and Pope John Paul.  Without them, the world would look a lot different than it does.

I bet half of GD has no clue what they did.  This thread is a strong indicator of that.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 11:18:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

And was your house $400K at 12% interest.

Absolute shit holes are listed at $200K now.

Housing prices still haven't come down to reflect the current interest rates.

I have no idea how people today afford it.
View Quote

No.  It was closer to $100k.  And we struggled to make the payment.  On two good incomes.  Then we refied about 4 years later, at 9% (!!!), and we thought we had died and gone to Heaven!

But to your point, it's as tough to be a first timer now as it was then.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 11:39:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

You are funny.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I heard it's going to be like 2008 times

You are funny.

I am slow, at the end of the day and its going about like this.....

Link Posted: 5/12/2023 11:45:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 12:19:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Quite intriguing that he says that about the WEF and hires one of its minions (and a vocal woke advocate) as the twitter CEO, isn't it?

View Quote

Could be some sort of deal with the Feds/Biden Administration.
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 12:25:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

He did.  And it breathed some life into a tanking economy due to covid.  Printing has a price, but it can have a positive effect, too.  Look at the mortgage-backed securities debacle in 2008-09.  The Fed printed then, too.  Should they not have?

This isn't an excuse for excess printing, but the Fed has one blunt-force object to achieve its goals of keeping inflation in check and the economy growing with minimal unemployment - printing/not printing.  That's all they have.

You always neglect my point of the War on Energy and its effects on inflation.  One must wonder why you do that.  You see, affordable energy is the most important factor in a modern economy.  When Brandon declared war on energy, it was a signal that inflation was going to surge no matter the cost to Americans.  And he followed through on his promise.  And inflation surged as a result.  And the Fed responded the only way they could - by raising rates and restricting money supply.  How about you address that point?

You must not know anyone in the trucking industry.  Ask them what their biggest cost is.  Ask them when the spike occurred.  Go ahead, we'll wait.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And Trump totally didn’t sign the CARES Act.

He did.  And it breathed some life into a tanking economy due to covid.  Printing has a price, but it can have a positive effect, too.  Look at the mortgage-backed securities debacle in 2008-09.  The Fed printed then, too.  Should they not have?

This isn't an excuse for excess printing, but the Fed has one blunt-force object to achieve its goals of keeping inflation in check and the economy growing with minimal unemployment - printing/not printing.  That's all they have.

You always neglect my point of the War on Energy and its effects on inflation.  One must wonder why you do that.  You see, affordable energy is the most important factor in a modern economy.  When Brandon declared war on energy, it was a signal that inflation was going to surge no matter the cost to Americans.  And he followed through on his promise.  And inflation surged as a result.  And the Fed responded the only way they could - by raising rates and restricting money supply.  How about you address that point?

You must not know anyone in the trucking industry.  Ask them what their biggest cost is.  Ask them when the spike occurred.  Go ahead, we'll wait.

Trump spent like a drunken sailor and COVID policies led directly to inflation.  Then Biden made it worse.

Trump was great in some ways, but he was no fiscal conservative.
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 12:36:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Stopped?  LOL you.  My first mortgage, in 1983, was 12%.  It was still 9% in about 1987, when I refied.  9%.  Well into Reagan's second term. which began in Jan. 1985.

Here's Reagan's record on the military buildup:

Reagan sharply accelerated the massive military buildup started by the Carter administration in response to the Soviet intervention in Afghanistan.[62] This buildup, a 40% real increase in defense spending,[63] included the revival of the B-1 bomber program, which had been cancelled by the Carter administration;[64] the deployment of Pershing II missiles in West Germany; the increased enlistment of thousands of troops; and a more advanced intelligence system.[64]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domestic_policy_of_the_Ronald_Reagan_administration

You have no clue.  None.  I lived it.  I was a grown-ass man at the time.  With a mortgage and a family.  What were you doing at the time?

Books.  Get one.  Read one.

View Quote

I get it.  This is one of those “my lived experience” things where facts are subordinated to a subjective “my truth” standard.  

Inflation in the 80s, under Reagan, was negatively correlated to military spending.  Being a grown ass man at the time doesn’t change this fact.

Remembering what interest rate you had on a home mortgage isn’t the same as inflation.  

Also, presidents don’t have a high degree of influence over monetary/fiscal policy, the purse is controlled by congress and monetary action the federal reserve.  Democrats controlled congress the entire eight years of Reagan’s presidency.  He fought some tough budget battles and even “won” a few.  
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 1:36:24 AM EDT
[#12]
I'm looking to buy a house. What are the pros and cons at this time?
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 2:22:52 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Logistics companies (first to know) have been seeing it for a while.
View Quote

Ayep.

Granted its airline world stuff but FedEx is cutting pretty big right now and "right sizing". That is never a good sign.

If it weren't for demand still being pent up from COVID, I fear the airline industry would have the outlook for the year that they do now. Next year will be quite interesting.
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 2:31:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Rail frieght dropped considerably 3rd quarter last year, or peak season (the busiest time of rear for the rr). In the last few weeks it has picked up about 25%... because fewer loads are going  otr.
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 2:34:26 AM EDT
[#15]
So are we still in a supply chain crisis?
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 2:42:52 AM EDT
[#16]
I think it depends on the industry,  certain components. Retail seems to be drowning in inventory.
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 2:46:34 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 2:50:29 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 7:33:46 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I still worship the Holy Trinity - Ronald Reagan, Margaret Thatcher, and Pope John Paul.  Without them, the world would look a lot different than it does.

I bet half of GD has no clue what they did.  This thread is a strong indicator of that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Reagan spent a lot on the military and broke up the Soviet Union.   Reagan's tax cuts also greatly increased federal tax receipts.

I will have to look at the US debt as a function of time but I doubt that Reagan caused anything like happened with Obama, Trump and the flawed COVID spending and now with that senile asswipe in the White House.

Reagan was a great president.    I voted for him.....twice.

Worship. Says it all. We are done here.
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top