Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 12/24/2019 10:07:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/24/2019 10:18:48 PM EDT
[#2]
You'd be a fool to not have a couple hidden in this day and age.
Link Posted: 12/24/2019 10:21:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Step inside each closet in that house and look above the doors to see if it is on a gun magnet. Same for pantries.
View Quote
GOD DAMMIT! (Gets up and goes to find new hiding spot for guns).
Link Posted: 12/24/2019 10:22:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Does he have any scrap ends of appropriately sized and unexplainable PVC pipe and caps laying around the house?
If so, it may be.....cached....around the property...

or, in 77 years, the news of the day will be the equivalent of this

https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2005/04/14/Historic-Tommy-gun-found-in-wall/55051113502020/

https://www.buzznick.com/hidden-basement-room/
View Quote
This is what I am trying to avoid...
Link Posted: 12/24/2019 10:23:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/24/2019 10:27:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Pops was ready for fo time
View Quote
He was before FO time even existed.  In 97 we had a huge flood and after fighting for days Dad decided we should get some valuables out of the house.

We filled his extended cab truck full of boxes of antique coins, silver, and guns and ammo.

He told me as we were leaving town...  "Well kid, I guess we go until the money runs out, then we have to sell the coins... after that it's time to start using the guns..."

I always just assumed he was joking.
Link Posted: 12/24/2019 10:40:03 PM EDT
[#7]
I'd start with a really good metal detector. See what turns up. Good luck
Link Posted: 12/24/2019 10:46:02 PM EDT
[#8]
See if you can rent one of these somewhere. I have used one quite a bit at work and it will go off on larger metal and not so much on tiny stuff. Magnetic locator

That being said how big is the house? My house is ~3000 sq foot and I have spent a lot of time in the attic running cables for security cameras over the past month. If I needed to I am pretty sure I could search every inch of the insulation just by hand in a few hours. Being in Arizona now is the time to do it.

I don’t know how elaborate your Dad was but unless he was really paranoid odds are it is fairly close to the access points to the attic. Most likely he didn’t crawl all the way to the far corner of the house to hide it. I would certainly start my search near the entry and work out from there.
Link Posted: 12/24/2019 11:19:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Perhaps ask the builder if there were any "special spaces" he built?
Link Posted: 12/24/2019 11:27:25 PM EDT
[#10]
On top of kitchen cabinets.  In the furniture as well. My dad had a 1911 inside of a Lazy Boy chair.
Link Posted: 12/24/2019 11:35:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Or you could pay some kid to look.
View Quote
This.

Hire a couple of 15/16 year olds, tell them there's a bag of weed hidden inside the house somewhere but it's a heavy bag.

Little bastards will find it in a couple of hours, I bet.  
Link Posted: 12/24/2019 11:35:38 PM EDT
[#12]
I am sure you have thought of this already, but did he have his own vehicle? Maybe he kept a pistol there. How about an outside shop or shed? Not a bad idea to keep one in your shop building if you spend time there.
Link Posted: 12/24/2019 11:36:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
You know what you have to do.

Vacuum it all out.
View Quote
Yeah, get a shop vac.

Since he was old, I’d look close to the entrance to the attic. I doubt he crawled to the opposite end of the attic to hide it. Could be wrong of course.
Link Posted: 12/25/2019 12:20:19 AM EDT
[#14]
So where the hell can I rent a metal detector?
Link Posted: 12/25/2019 12:28:49 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote
As someone who does a lot of artifact hunting with metal detectors, I will give you my thoughts here. Inside of a house you are going to have quite a bit of electromagnetic interference (emi).  Using the detector might work, but at the end of the day your will be able to search just as quickly by hand. You are going to have to find a detector, learn how it works, set it up, and then give it a shot. You can turn down the sensitivity and turn up the discrimination, but I really don't think you will get the results you want. If you are bound and determined to use a detector, buy a pinpointer from harbor freight or amazon and just run it over the insulation.

https://www.amazon.com/Kuman-Resistant-Detectors-Unearthing-Accessories/dp/B074GP3QBD/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?keywords=pinpointer&qid=1577248081&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUFXVFBNUFNFNlVPSVUmZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTA0NDYxNjEzMFlPVEk1V0xaOEtYJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTAxMTQ4NDhaSlo0MDBXNEpKWEMmd2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGYmYWN0aW9uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl
Link Posted: 12/25/2019 12:35:41 AM EDT
[#16]
pull this slowly becase of wires

Link Posted: 12/25/2019 12:37:10 AM EDT
[#17]
Buy a Garrett 'carrot' pinpointer. Read the instructions and watch a couple videos online to set sensitivity. You should be able to probe in and around in the insulation without it getting set off too many times on nails and other miscellaneous hangers. That would be my move if you really truly believe it's still in the Attic.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 12/25/2019 12:39:01 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
wall/ground-penetrating radar.
View Quote
This is the real answer, but unlikely that it's something you would have ready access to.
Link Posted: 12/25/2019 12:41:42 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
How old is the house and in what part of the state?  Those of us who live here can give better suggestions if we know those two items......local architecture changes by region and by the decade built.
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/25/2019 12:48:13 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote
what city are u in?
Link Posted: 12/25/2019 12:51:17 AM EDT
[#21]
WAIT a minute!  Wait a minute!

Are you telling me there is a MAUSER C-96 hidden in the house?

If so, you best let me handle that.  Those things are dangerous.  I'll take the hit for the team on this one!
Link Posted: 12/25/2019 3:43:48 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote
Our public library has one that they lend out.
Link Posted: 12/25/2019 8:41:04 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Who the fuck has a vacation home in Yuma, Arizona?  That's the hot and sweaty butthole of Arizona.
View Quote
Not this time of year.
Link Posted: 12/25/2019 8:51:58 AM EDT
[#24]
As my Father spiraled into Dementia, he hid similar things. I found most things but some of his jewelry is lost. He owned a Rolex that he either sold or was stolen. I have no idea what the serial number is.

LESSON: If you own treasures that you want to make sure are passed to the people you really want to have them, let it go sooner than later. Don’t assume they will inherit it when you pass.
Link Posted: 12/25/2019 9:01:42 AM EDT
[#25]
Any mirrors or pictures on the walls? Check behind those.
Link Posted: 12/25/2019 10:28:07 AM EDT
[#26]
When Dad passed I gathered up all his guns and stored them in my safe.  I could not find his piece of junk break top revolver.  It was made by “U.S. Pistol” company. Caliber was .38 S&W (not the normal.38 special).  It was a piece of junk but A) it was Dad’s and B) I didn’t want it to get in the wrong hands.

Searched all over and couldn’t find it in the house. Thought maybe he got rid of it. We started cleaning out the garage and going through his tool boxes. Dad grew up on a farm and was a machinist for most of his adult life so there was a lot to go through. Grabbed an oily rag from one tool box. Unrolled it and there was the pistol. Still loaded. I’ll never shoot it because there’s a good possibility it would come apart. But it will live in my safe forever.
Link Posted: 12/25/2019 10:52:19 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I think it is still in the attic, in a soft zip up case buried under 14" of insulation....

Thought of looking a for a metal detector, but the rafter clips would probably set it off all over the place. Same problem with a large magent.

Anyone got an idea on how to find it?

Need a Christams miracle.
View Quote
On my AT Pro metal detector, small iron objects will show as a 17-25 on the LCD, a large iron or steel object will be much higher probably in the 60 to 80 range.  Would be fairly simple to weed out.
Link Posted: 12/25/2019 10:53:53 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Metal detector and process of elimination.
View Quote
Bingo.
Link Posted: 12/25/2019 10:56:43 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

As someone who does a lot of artifact hunting with metal detectors, I will give you my thoughts here. Inside of a house you are going to have quite a bit of electromagnetic interference (emi).  Using the detector might work, but at the end of the day your will be able to search just as quickly by hand. You are going to have to find a detector, learn how it works, set it up, and then give it a shot. You can turn down the sensitivity and turn up the discrimination, but I really don't think you will get the results you want. If you are bound and determined to use a detector, buy a pinpointer from harbor freight or amazon and just run it over the insulation.
View Quote
You could always cut the power to the house at the main circuit breaker to eliminate most of the interference.
Link Posted: 12/25/2019 11:00:12 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I hid some guns in the filter space under the furnace/ air conditioner one time. I almost forgot them when I moved out.
View Quote
I wouldn't hide anything where one calls "the guy" to fix or maintain.  The furnace guy, the water heater guy, etc.  In furniture is fine, in among the structure is also fine.  Also, I hope ya'll are shrink wrapping the thing if it's near water or in an air vent or something.
Link Posted: 12/25/2019 11:26:09 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Thermal imaging camera.  Buddy of mine has a business where he goes to homes to look for hidden water leaks, drafts, areas where builders skimped on insulation etc.  You’d be surprised what he finds and you can tell instantly.  He’s found guns, cash, coins, ammo, jewelry etc hidden in walls.
View Quote
This is a legit idea. Those things are amazing and could potentially detect the rifles outline.
Link Posted: 12/25/2019 12:00:05 PM EDT
[#32]
Let me save you some time, OP.
I'm an experienced detectorist, with a bunch of years at it, so take my advice with whatever amount of salt you want to.
Do not waste your time using a metal detector. Your attic is filled with steel, various kinds of wires, nails, other types of fasteners, and potentially heating and air ducting and about a million other metal objects. There's no way you'll be able to filter out all that ferrous metal without completely ignoring all steel...and then you'll ignore the gun unless it's brass or something else non-ferrous. Iron is at the low end of the magnetic spectrum and while the easiest to filter out, that's what you are looking for in this case.
Also, live electrical wires play merry hell with metal detectors, giving off their own (((((HUGE))))) magnetic field by metal detector standards.
There is no metal detector on the market that will do what you want it to do, I'm sorry to say.
Link Posted: 12/25/2019 1:03:13 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Thermal imaging camera.  Buddy of mine has a business where he goes to homes to look for hidden water leaks, drafts, areas where builders skimped on insulation etc.  You'd be surprised what he finds and you can tell instantly.  He's found guns, cash, coins, ammo, jewelry etc hidden in walls.
View Quote
This could be its on thread.
Link Posted: 12/25/2019 1:13:27 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I would look in the gaps behind the kitchen (and any other) cabinets.  Check from the bottom.  Also check above.  Use a small mirror and a flashlight.  Or use your phone.
View Quote
This. Often times you can pull the stove out and access behind a lot of cabinets.
Link Posted: 12/25/2019 1:21:43 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Let me save you some time, OP.
I'm an experienced detectorist, with a bunch of years at it, so take my advice with whatever amount of salt you want to.
Do not waste your time using a metal detector. Your attic is filled with steel, various kinds of wires, nails, other types of fasteners, and potentially heating and air ducting and about a million other metal objects. There's no way you'll be able to filter out all that ferrous metal without completely ignoring all steel...and then you'll ignore the gun unless it's brass or something else non-ferrous. Iron is at the low end of the magnetic spectrum and while the easiest to filter out, that's what you are looking for in this case.
Also, live electrical wires play merry hell with metal detectors, giving off their own (((((HUGE))))) magnetic field by metal detector standards.
There is no metal detector on the market that will do what you want it to do, I'm sorry to say.
View Quote
This is my fear with a metal detector. I think my best bet is to make a rake of some kind to drag between the joists.

I don't leave until Sarurday so I have some time. I have been scouring the house with the help of my brother in law with no luck.

So back to the attic I go...
Link Posted: 12/25/2019 1:24:07 PM EDT
[#36]
Crawl in to every cabinet and look up and at the back side of the cupboard. I was replacing the drains in a bathroom sink at my house and found a folding knife taped to the inside of the cabinet. You’d never had known it was there unless you crawled in like that. It wasn’t a nice knife by any means, but I often wondered what made them feel the need to do it.

I checked all the other cabinets hoping to find more goodies, but there were none.
Link Posted: 12/25/2019 1:26:45 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
what city are u in?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
what city are u in?
Casa Gande
Link Posted: 12/25/2019 1:28:52 PM EDT
[#38]
"Likely in a soft case, under insulation"? After years, would it be in any kind of condition you'd want to find?

Sorry to hear about your dad, and an old Mauser is a piece of history, but it might be time to write this one off.
Link Posted: 12/25/2019 1:29:57 PM EDT
[#39]
I would ask your rotten uncle.  He probably has it.  That's where most of the good stuff went after my grand dad died.  He was not even room temp yet and stuff started to go missing.
Link Posted: 12/25/2019 1:30:10 PM EDT
[#40]
It's a shame the house is not in WV, a Pillbilly would have found it for you in short order.
Link Posted: 12/25/2019 1:32:56 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote
https://www.sunbeltrentals.com/locations/528/
Link Posted: 12/25/2019 1:33:23 PM EDT
[#42]
Metal detector with sensitivity turned down, but run from the floor below, scanning the ceiling and taking notes of positions of large deposits.

Kharn
Link Posted: 12/25/2019 1:36:51 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
You know what you have to do.

Vacuum it all out.
View Quote
This is what I would do. Blown in insulation sucks ass anyway.
Link Posted: 12/25/2019 1:48:06 PM EDT
[#44]
DAY 1
Link Posted: 12/25/2019 2:32:09 PM EDT
[#45]
Hire a gun sniffing dog
Link Posted: 12/25/2019 2:36:03 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:We started cleaning out the garage and going through his tool boxes. Dad grew up on a farm and was a machinist for most of his adult life so there was a lot to go through. Grabbed an oily rag from one tool box. Unrolled it and there was the pistol. Still loaded.
View Quote
Happy ending!  
Link Posted: 12/25/2019 2:56:35 PM EDT
[#47]
Mom died in Feb 2018.  Dad followed not too much later in August.  Worst year evar.  My wife and I are the local kids though, and were tasked with cleaning up the estate.  In doing so, we stumbled across a .38 Spcl Colt Police Positive, and a .32 S&W Colt Pocket Positive, both in pristine condition.  They evidently belonged to my paternal grandpa & grandma.  I will never sell them, LOL!  Haven't fired though either; both were made in 1918, according to Colt's database.
Link Posted: 12/25/2019 3:01:24 PM EDT
[#48]
Large auto pickup magnet
Above closet doors inside closet
Check any new drywall patches or newly painted areas
Link Posted: 12/25/2019 3:04:10 PM EDT
[#49]
You say he did the same thing in ND.  Look in the same places he hid things in the ND house, patterns of thinking and all.
Link Posted: 12/25/2019 3:11:19 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Casa Gande
View Quote
Dammit, if I wasn’t in Texas I’d lend you one of mine.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top