Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 12/21/2017 12:43:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Roundabouts are efficient. Why do you hate efficiency?
Link Posted: 12/21/2017 12:47:22 PM EDT
[#2]
I can one up you there

The city I previously lived in build a roundabout at one end of a 2-lane bridge which was a major thoroughfare. As soon as it was completed, a city bus got stuck in the turn and wedged against one of the bridge guard rails.

It was determined that the center island was too large to let any of the city buses pass. Roundabout had to be closed again while they jackhammered the island apart and rebuilt it as a shallow garden.
Link Posted: 12/21/2017 12:49:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
wait till you see a foreigner or an old fuck do a complete stop inside the active circle, or run not yielding and almost hits you broadside
View Quote
In other words, when you use it, happens at least a couple times a day when new, eventually maybe one or twice a week after the newness wears off.
Link Posted: 12/21/2017 12:50:50 PM EDT
[#4]
I love roundabouts

I also love that they quickly expose drivers who have no freaking idea how to drive properly.
Link Posted: 12/21/2017 12:51:49 PM EDT
[#5]
I like roundabouts but OPs is dumb.
Link Posted: 12/21/2017 12:52:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Roundabouts are efficient. Why do you hate efficiency?
View Quote
you missed the point my son, when you put a STOP sign on it - there's no efficiency
Link Posted: 12/21/2017 12:52:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Roundabouts are fine.
Drivers suck.
View Quote
This.

Quoted:
Can you pass in a roundabout?
View Quote
Rubbing is racing!
Link Posted: 12/21/2017 12:53:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/21/2017 12:54:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I like roundabouts but OPs is dumb.
View Quote
i will say multi-lane LARGE roundabouts work well, but small ones people can't process it quickly and their slow reaction times in either yielding like they're supposed too or run into an active circle
Link Posted: 12/21/2017 12:55:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Next up, we have the Diverging Diamond Interchange.  I've been in a few, and they are a bit freaky.  They're converting an interchange into one down in Olympia.  It will be exciting.
View Quote
Now there's an example of an engineer trying to be smart and think outside the box, while going full retard for not considering what uninformed drivers will do.

"Well yes, I know part of the design makes drivers drive on the wrong side of the road from what they usually do".

"But all they have to do is follow the traffic ahead if they've never been through it before"

"Whaddya mean what happens if a driver who's never been through it, comes through one late at night, with no other traffic ahead to follow, so they go into the right side the way they would normally assume, and then suddenly encounter oncoming traffic head on?"
Link Posted: 12/21/2017 12:56:18 PM EDT
[#11]
They’re great if tards realize that you’re not supposed to stop.
Link Posted: 12/21/2017 12:58:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Can't be worse than the 161/riverside drive roundabout in Dublin, oh.
Link Posted: 12/21/2017 12:58:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Roundabouts are fine.
Drivers suck.
View Quote
This.  People don't understand the relatively simple concept of "The roundabout is a continuous one-way street onto which you are turning right from a yield."

Not hard. The average person could turn right on a one way street from a yield, but throw the concept of "roundabout" at them and they become pants-on-the-head idiots.

Now, if you think roundabouts blow the average person's mind, we have some four-lane roundabouts here which turn a below-average driver into a full blown window-licking cretin.  Think about a person who's never seen a roundabout before, then introduce them to FOUR LANES north-south, two lanes east-west,  plus two lanes within the roundabout itself.

Every time I drive through it, I fear I will be killed.  Not because I don't know what's going on, but rather that I may have to do battle with twentysomething Britni in her VW Beetle.  She would have trouble navigating such a thing at full consciousness, let alone while simultaneously doing her makeup and texting on her Iphone and slurping on a Starbucks, all the while being completely unaware of the world around her.
Link Posted: 12/21/2017 12:59:07 PM EDT
[#14]
This one I don’t really care for.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/21/2017 12:59:19 PM EDT
[#15]
One of those in the article was in American Hunter:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/21/2017 1:00:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Can you pass in a roundabout?
View Quote
I do.  
Link Posted: 12/21/2017 1:01:15 PM EDT
[#17]
They have been putting them all over the place in my AO.

The police say they are successful because while there are more traffic accidents per year,  the severity of the accidents are down...
Link Posted: 12/21/2017 1:02:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Now there's an example of an engineer trying to be smart and think outside the box, while going full retard for not considering what uninformed drivers will do.

"Well yes, I know part of the design makes drivers drive on the wrong side of the road from what they usually do".

"But all they have to do is follow the traffic ahead if they've never been through it before"

"Whaddya mean what happens if a driver who's never been through it, comes through one late at night, with no other traffic ahead to follow, so they go into the right side the way they would normally assume, and then suddenly encounter oncoming traffic head on?"
View Quote
I don't know how someone could fuck up driving in a diverging diamond.

You follow the gentle curves and the huge arrows.
Link Posted: 12/21/2017 1:05:03 PM EDT
[#19]
I like roundabouts. Some people can't handle them around here but we generally ship our geriatrics down South where declining mental aptitude isn't noticed.
Link Posted: 12/21/2017 1:05:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
wait till you see a foreigner or an old fuck do a complete stop inside the active circle, or run not yielding and almost hits you broadside
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Lol

What a waste of money building a roundabout.

They are becoming more common in my area
You do realize that in some non-English speaking countries those in the roundabout must yield to those entering.
Link Posted: 12/21/2017 1:09:23 PM EDT
[#21]
The only people that hate roundabouts are the ones too stupid to use them

They are much more efficient than 4 way stops

Sorry your driving sucks for many of you
Link Posted: 12/21/2017 1:10:19 PM EDT
[#22]
I wonder if the pro roundabout folks would be so keen on them if their local traffic was similar to mine.

Consider relying on the intellect of your fellow driver when they are either in;

A) a jacked up lightbar covered 4x4 with salt life, yeti, or Hoyt stickers plastered all over it.

Or

B) one of these

I wouldnt want to share a roundabout with either the donk or the daddy bought 4x4. So yall can keep em.
Link Posted: 12/21/2017 1:10:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote
Haven't been through one yet, so I haven't seen what the signage looks like.

What I envision, is someone who's never been through one before, encountering one for the first time on a snowy winters night. The roads have a light layer of snow, so ther aren't any visible arrows or lines on the road.

They see a green light, and have a split second to wonder why there's an odd jag in the road, making it a PITA to stay on the right side they're used to staying in, but instinct tells them, "stay on the right side". Only to encounter oncoming traffic that entered the other side 'correctly'.
Link Posted: 12/21/2017 1:11:03 PM EDT
[#24]
I swear dealing with roundabouts is the only thing we can do right in my state. Seems like where ever else they are implemented in this country, no one else can figure them out.
Link Posted: 12/21/2017 1:12:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 12/21/2017 1:12:14 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I loathe roundabouts.
View Quote
Roundabouts are great, it’s people who don’t have a fucking clue how they work that are the problem.

I couldn’t imagine being so stupid as to not understand how a roundabout works.
Link Posted: 12/21/2017 1:14:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I can one up you there

The city I previously lived in build a roundabout at one end of a 2-lane bridge which was a major thoroughfare. As soon as it was completed, a city bus got stuck in the turn and wedged against one of the bridge guard rails.

It was determined that the center island was too large to let any of the city buses pass. Roundabout had to be closed again while they jackhammered the island apart and rebuilt it as a shallow garden.
View Quote
There's a new roundabout in San Antonio. First few months it was ok. Then the gardens they built at the entrance grew up and you can't see who is in the roundabout as you enter until you get real close. This isn't grass you can mow, either. It's like six foot high Esperanza bushes and Bird of Paradise.  Fuckin dumb.
Link Posted: 12/21/2017 1:20:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
i call it a throughabout...just put in in 4hi locked and drive straight through the centre.  it saves time
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/21/2017 1:20:45 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Can't be worse than the 161/riverside drive roundabout in Dublin, oh.
View Quote
my BIL got hit by an old dude there, it was his fault and police didn't even cite him either.
Link Posted: 12/21/2017 1:21:14 PM EDT
[#30]
You just have to build up a little speed.

How not to approach a roundabout driving fail!

EDIT: Beat by 60 seconds
Link Posted: 12/21/2017 1:21:24 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
We're getting our first one and probably one of the first in this state!  Spending $4 million on an intersection that does not need it.  Fucking retards run this city now
View Quote
There are a bunch of them in Chattanooga.

I like them for the most part but they can have some issues during heavy traffic.

It didn't take folks around here long to get used to them in any case.
Link Posted: 12/21/2017 1:23:48 PM EDT
[#32]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
i call it a throughabout...just put in in 4hi locked and drive straight through the centre. it saves time
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywiZGIvrSG4
9/10
Link Posted: 12/21/2017 1:25:13 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

What I envision, is someone who's never been through one before, encountering one for the first time on a snowy winters night. The roads have a light layer of snow, so ther aren't any visible arrows or lines on the road.

They see a green light, and have a split second to wonder why there's an odd jag in the road, making it a PITA to stay on the right side they're used to staying in, but instinct tells them, "stay on the right side". Only to encounter oncoming traffic that entered the other side 'correctly'.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

in the places that you cross over to the "wrong" side of the road, the curvature of the roadway "pre-points" you where you need to go, and there's always a traffic light at that point, so you're either driving under green lights or red lights. You'd really have to go out of your way to make the right turn into the wrong lane. (which is not to say that it doesn't happen)
Link Posted: 12/21/2017 1:26:57 PM EDT
[#34]
HA!  The drivers in this area have no precept as to what "round" means, a "roundabout" just leads to more accidents.  We have two or three roundabouts and for awhile it was quite exciting.
Link Posted: 12/21/2017 1:30:18 PM EDT
[#35]
Proper roundabout etiquette:

Link Posted: 12/21/2017 1:36:08 PM EDT
[#36]
I can handle a roundabout, at least the small ones they're putting in around here.

PennDOT is getting ready to convert one of our more heavily traveled intersections into a "diverging diamond". Can't wait for the carnage!
Link Posted: 12/21/2017 1:39:18 PM EDT
[#37]
FPNI
Link Posted: 12/21/2017 1:44:17 PM EDT
[#38]
We have a couple here in the county and we also have one of these.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/21/2017 1:46:00 PM EDT
[#39]
My city has built at least 8-10 new roundabouts within 5 miles of my home in the past few years.

Most be some kind of in law / secret bid - city funded scam or something. That or they are just the latest fad.

They are even building them along 25-35mph arterials that go thru neighborhoods as a way to reduce speeding

I like them and it seems even the dipshit / slow learners are finally figuring out how to successfully navigate thru them
Link Posted: 12/21/2017 1:49:42 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Now that is hilarious.

Roundabouts are being put in everywhere around here. They make traffic so much better.  I think it's hilarious that the average arfcommer can't grasp the complex idea of yielding and going in a circle.
View Quote
I suspect the average arf-peep is about like the other 87% of drivers that do not know who has the right of way in any given situation.
Link Posted: 12/21/2017 1:49:50 PM EDT
[#41]
Some years ago shortly after the 3 roundabouts were added to WI-310 (between I-43 and Two Rivers) I had the privilege of serving as road captain for our MC  for a weekend ride to Door County.  As we approached each roundabout I signaled for single file since most of our members had never dealt with a roundabout and I didn't want anyone colliding with anyone while exiting the roundabout.  We navigated the first 2 roundabouts without issues so I decided to have a little fun with the last one.  Instead of exiting at the appropriate exit point I continued on through the roundabout.  It took less then a minute for me to catch up with the sweep.  I think we went around the roundabout 10 times before exiting it.  My only regret was no one recorded a video of us going round and round.  FYI  there was no other traffic waiting to traverse the roundabout so we had it to ourselves to play with.

Link Posted: 12/21/2017 1:53:51 PM EDT
[#42]
Imagine trying to teach Afghans to navigate a round-about, and teach the Police to enforce it.  Damn nightmare.

One of the many round-abouts in Kabul:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/21/2017 1:56:23 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Roundabouts are fine.
Drivers suck.
View Quote
Pretty much.

I like roundabouts, they are much more efficient at moving traffic than a 4-way stop. But only if people would get their head out of their asses.
Link Posted: 12/21/2017 2:03:20 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
in the places that you cross over to the "wrong" side of the road, the curvature of the roadway "pre-points" you where you need to go, and there's always a traffic light at that point, so you're either driving under green lights or red lights. You'd really have to go out of your way to make the right turn into the wrong lane. (which is not to say that it doesn't happen)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

As mentioned in my scenario above (not unlikely in snowy regions like MI and CO), even with the curvature, a newbie to these things coming up to a green light on one of these things may wonder why there's an odd jag in the lane, but instinct and habit say, "STAY ON THE RIGHT", for those who've never encountered one of these.

Someone who isn't aware of their existence wouldn't expect a road design/feature that deliberately directs them to drive on the 'wrong' side of a divider.
Link Posted: 12/21/2017 2:05:28 PM EDT
[#45]
They put one in in my rural area.  Big farm fields, big farm tractors, combines, planters and the like.

They built it and then found that farm equipment couldn't go around it.  The farmers just drive over it.

The thing was destroyed by the end of the first harvest season.
Link Posted: 12/21/2017 2:07:01 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
They put one in in my rural area.  Big farm fields, big farm tractors, combines, planters and the like.

They built it and then found that farm equipment couldn't go around it.  The farmers just drive over it.

The thing was destroyed by the end of the first harvest season.
View Quote
Lol
Link Posted: 12/21/2017 2:17:49 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

LOL.

This is where the drivers ed teacher took us when we were learning to drive back in the stone age.  Had an inner and outer lane. Sometimes you went around a few times before you could get from the inner to the outer to the road you wanted.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/422/Tallmadge_OH_downtown_aerial-396872.jpg
View Quote
I used to lift at gym near "downtown" Tallmadge when I lived in Cuyahoga Falls.
Link Posted: 12/21/2017 2:18:08 PM EDT
[#48]
I'm not super comfortable with driving in them, mostly because I've only ever used a handful, but from everything I've read they're great for efficiency and safety so I say go ahead.
Link Posted: 12/21/2017 2:19:03 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
You just have to build up a little speed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxHlKpRAyv0

EDIT: Beat by 60 seconds
View Quote
Nailed the landing
Link Posted: 12/21/2017 2:19:38 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

You do realize that in some non-English speaking countries those in the roundabout must yield to those entering.
View Quote
Negative.  There were only two such traffic circles in the world, and one of them changed that when I brought it to their attention.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top