Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 12:11:45 PM EDT
[#1]
I can understand it working for a large manufacturing facility, but a custom machine manufacturer,  not so much.
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 12:13:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

"That's not real lean, it just wasn't implemented correctly "
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/29/2022 12:14:44 PM EDT
[#3]
What is muda?

You have weak management
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 12:26:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Care to clarify what you mean?

I am not blaming scary new words for anything.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not sure how we can fix this when culturally we seem to want to blame scary new words instead of address the real problems.

Care to clarify what you mean?

I am not blaming scary new words for anything.

Not you. Look at some of the reactions to my earlier posts about the terminology.
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 12:29:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

"That's not real lean, it just wasn't implemented correctly "

where have I heard that before?
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 12:44:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Stupid corporate jargon that reminds me of this:

"Turbo Encabulator" the Original

Link Posted: 1/29/2022 12:58:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I and my coworkers still have no fucking idea what it does or how it does anything. It’s kinda hilarious that it gets brought up in meetings occasionally, I.e. “well we’re gonna keep doing this according to the Lean principles” but we don’t do anything different than two years ago.

We basically had a one hour training on it back then, the supervisors don’t seem to give a shit about it, and you only hear upper management really reference it.

Anyone else work for big corporations who roll out shit like this on occasion? It always seems to be forgotten about eventually.

If you don’t know what lean is, it’s this system that was primarily intended for manufacturing processes…my company isn’t even a manufacturing company whatsoever which makes it even more inane.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lean_manufacturing

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lean_Six_Sigma

View Quote

Heh. At my old agency we got indoctrinated into the Covey "7 Habits..." thing back when it was new. They gave us books and training and planners... Everyone was gung-ho about making ourselves Highly Effective People... 'til they realized that the "work-life balance" thing didn't work in their favor so it got dropped hard.

Link Posted: 1/29/2022 1:02:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
We started that shit at my plant years ago. They got rid of all the spare parts, and then sold the storeroom off to a third-party vendor. Any part not used in six months was returned to the vendor and the sku was removed from the shelf. I first start running out of the mundane shit that I need daily to do my job. So, I go to the other production area and steal their shit to keep my shit running. When they finally get the parts we need, it never enough to actually catch up. Then a major part breaks and shuts down a machine. In the old days, maintenance goes to the storeroom and gets the part. Now, since that part doesn't break very often, it is no longer on the shelf. So, I now have a machine down for 3+ days with a cost of several $K per hour, over a $400 part. They tell me somehow, we are saving money though. I am just glad that everything is color coded and taped off. I never knew where the phone and keyboard went beforehand.
View Quote

I think we work for the same company, is that you Buckwheat?
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 1:53:06 PM EDT
[#9]
In this thread we learn the difference between using a structured approach to building an efficient reliable supply chain and offshoring everything to the lowest bidder in China.

Link Posted: 1/29/2022 2:00:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm pretty sure that's all the companies that dabble w/ JIT.  Even GM and Ford w/ the size and scale to push the disadvantages down to their vendors via penalties and contractual requirements, can't get the chips they need to keep things flowing.
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 2:11:35 PM EDT
[#11]
I worked for a major snack food company.

They always managed to  hire a new ?? clown who had worked at several different companies previously and arrived at our plant as a outside hire.

Soon they would say hey this "insert name" is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Last thing they did was "Lean" ??

These ?? clowns decided in order to implement  "Lean" they needed a  whole new group of inside and outside hires for the "Lean" team.

6 fucking new positions plus a existing manager to oversee this shit show.

GF guessed on the low side each new position salary cost alone not including benifits  were 75k to 85k per year.

That's over 500k alone in salaries, not including company paid benefits and 401k matches.

We both said how in the hell can you create 6 new positions and  implement "Lean" right after you went negative 1 million right off the bat.

We said the company should have said great idea...fire all the Lean people plus the manager.

Instant cost savings of over 1 million per year every year.

Glad I'm retired, my head would have exploded by now.

Link Posted: 1/29/2022 2:13:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

where have I heard that before?
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/29/2022 2:18:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner.

One of those suck-ups came into my office to give me a roll of tape so I could section off my desk with locations for everything. Stapler goes here, coffee cup goes there, etc. Having an exact place for each item is more time efficient, you see.

I told him to take his tape and get the fuck out.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's a jobs program with worthless middle management suck-ups.

One of those suck-ups came into my office to give me a roll of tape so I could section off my desk with locations for everything. Stapler goes here, coffee cup goes there, etc. Having an exact place for each item is more time efficient, you see.

That's kind of like the nerdy IT turds sending Microsoft updates to me every day.  I don't need all of those fucking updates and no, I have more important things to do then reboot my computer at 2pm everyday.
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 2:20:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

This. Oh, the distributors will keep "x" amount in inventory for us. Well, what do you do when you use "said" inventory and the distributor can no longer get any?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It works so good we have millions of dollars in products sitting on a floor unable to move due to no parts because we had to get them "just in time". We are not talking about one time use parts either as I could understand those. Also nothing better than having to source parts that are not available due to the first part being unavailable. It's a waste of time

This. Oh, the distributors will keep "x" amount in inventory for us. Well, what do you do when you use "said" inventory and the distributor can no longer get any?
That's not the point. You figure out your demand and weigh that and your time to reliably replenish to figure out your on hand inventory. Figure out what risks you are willing to assume in regards to loss of production. You don't tie yourself to it like an anchor, oblivious of what is happening.

As soon as the writing was on the wall with the Commie Cough economy, the folks responsible for figuring out the inventory buffers should have jacked them to max and bought up all the parts, spare parts, replacement in kind parts, and like-kind parts.
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 2:22:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Is that the program wear you "earn" different color belts like martial arts???  I think our place tried to do it a few years ago but it petered out.

I loved seeing the emails from the obese HR director inviting us to the LEAN meetings, where hot dogs, chips and pop would be served.........

Link Posted: 1/29/2022 2:27:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

@74HC

Scrum doesn't require "capital 'A' Architects."

Scrum requires delegation of daily decision making authority to the engineering staff. That's FAR more important than having a dedicated capital A Architect role. If daily decisions arn't delegated to the individual contributor roles, the Scrum implementation is incorrect and failed.

Concentrating decision making into a capital A Architect and taking it away from the individual contributors is an anti-pattern. That's not to say there's no place for a higher level engineering role (there absolutely is and should be), but it's not a "you do this and you do that" role.
View Quote

You're wrong, or your company is incredibly lucky.  Someone or some people need to architect the software so that effective sprints can be done.  Agile and scrum boards work much more efficiently if OOPs is used, rather than monolithic code structure.

Lots of companies have folded programming and architecture into the same title (i.e., that person does both). Usually, these are the senior people, not usually the newer H1B programming staff.  It sounds like your company did so, but it cannot be everyone as that is too many cooks brewing QA issues.
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 2:28:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Is that the program wear you "earn" different color belts like martial arts???  I think our place tried to do it a few years ago but it petered out.

I loved seeing the emails from the obese HR director inviting us to the LEAN meetings, where hot dogs, chips and pop would be served.........

View Quote
That's Six Sigma. Another useful but overused process that shouldn't have grown outside the high volume manufacturing arena.

Link Posted: 1/29/2022 3:11:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

This. Oh, the distributors will keep "x" amount in inventory for us.
View Quote

Unless the distributors went Lean.
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 3:18:49 PM EDT
[#19]
When they did it at my shop it was Top Down. Not Bottom up.

If management wasn't on board or untrainable they were gone.

Once management had all their shit together they came down to the floor.

Literally takes years.
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 3:21:40 PM EDT
[#20]

Other than the fact that these management methods revolutionized real world businesses and made real world companies hugely productive and competitive, yes, exactly like that.

Link Posted: 1/29/2022 3:23:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
If you are not in manufacturing or more specifically if you are in a service industry, when you hear the words Lean 6 Sigma, Lean 6 ,6 Sigma or Lean Anyfuckingthing just start looking for a job because before it is all over you will need it. If you hear it from a 32 year old in cotton dockers, boat shoes and a Hitler youth haircut then take vacation time and go find one NOW.
View Quote

QFT
also,
/thread
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 4:59:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I and my coworkers still have no fucking idea what it does or how it does anything. It’s kinda hilarious that it gets brought up in meetings occasionally, I.e. “well we’re gonna keep doing this according to the Lean principles” but we don’t do anything different than two years ago.

We basically had a one hour training on it back then, the supervisors don’t seem to give a shit about it, and you only hear upper management really reference it.

Anyone else work for big corporations who roll out shit like this on occasion? It always seems to be forgotten about eventually.

If you don’t know what lean is, it’s this system that was primarily intended for manufacturing processes…my company isn’t even a manufacturing company whatsoever which makes it even more inane.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lean_manufacturing

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lean_Six_Sigma

View Quote

Similar to the Fortune 100 company where I was employed as a Sr. Manager... the upper echelon only provided lip-service only to the "LEAN J.I.T" program.

We were essentially told to make it work.

The "LEAN" process made sense to me, but a combination of less inspired subordinate managers and brain-dead union lackies made the process DOA.

They never learned from the catastrophic  "Teaming Program" failure they pushed years before.

Stupidity reigns supreme in Corporate America... much like Marxism in all layers of government.
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 5:31:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
That's Six Sigma. Another useful but overused process that shouldn't have grown outside the high volume manufacturing arena.
https://www.6sigmacertificationonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/11/six-sigma-belt-roles-2-e1604687965838.png
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.6sigmacertificationonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/11/six-sigma-belt-roles-2-e1604687965838.png

Yes, I would agree to a point, but true SS implementation is only a pipe dream! Six Sigma was trademarked by people who were smart enough to market a perceived quick fix for companies with weak Quality systems. If everyone loved one another, there would never be any wars. Unfortunately, you cannot get past personal agendas and SS corrupts the pure science of quality engineering. "Black Belt" and "Master Black Belt” has the stink of a marketing ploy and not quality. SS is not good QE. QE is good QE. If Quality is a religion than SS is a cult. If you want to call it QE then call it QE. Most of us never do, “Six Sigma”, we use proven quality tools, and some have been corrupted into “Six Sigma” strategies.
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 5:36:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Other than the fact that these management methods revolutionized real world businesses and made real world companies hugely productive and competitive, yes, exactly like that.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

They probably hurt more companies than they helped.
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 5:48:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

You are true to your MO, I'll give you that; you'll argue just to argue while ignoring the other side of a discussion.  In this case my comments go over your head.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's like our daily scrum meetings and how we tell people we follow scrum, but there is nothing scrum-like about our development process at all. (If anything, our development process is best defined as anarchy.)

Scrum works very well in software development, but one must have competent architects.  That's where most companies that fail at scrum, do so.

@74HC

Scrum requires delegation of daily decision making authority to the engineering staff. That's FAR more important than having a dedicated capital A Architect role. If daily decisions arn't delegated to the individual contributor roles, the Scrum implementation is incorrect and failed.

Concentrating decision making into a capital A Architect and taking it away from the individual contributors is an anti-pattern. That's not to say there's no place for a higher level engineering role (there absolutely is and should be), but it's not a "you do this and you do that" role.

It's popular here to blame the concept or methodology for what usually sounds like management incompetence. It's part of the overall weird reaction to any new words or concepts as something be mocked before even trying to understand it.

It's earned by making up nonsensical titles that start as buzzwords instead of using perfectly serviceable descriptive language.

Most of his systems literally come complete with precisely defined terms for positions and functions specifically to prevent "nonsensical titles" and meaningless "buzzwords," instead creating a level of standardization.

You're standing in front of a group of green new hires.  You tell them, "We practice SCRUM in this plant.". Estimate the fraction in the room that understand what you said, and the guy that asks if they're going to play rugby doesn't count.

Or even Lean, that's an innocuous sounding word.

Scrum is not an acronym, and it's a specific type of organization structure used in Agile. It all has a meaning, whether you want to believe it or not.

You are true to your MO, I'll give you that; you'll argue just to argue while ignoring the other side of a discussion.  In this case my comments go over your head.

Not wading into the pissing match, but I attend various hour long weekly and biweekly meetings run by Project Managers that have "Scrum" as part of the title, for discrete projects, where the only part that really matters is hitting the completion milestone

Link Posted: 1/30/2022 1:39:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

Our parts storeroom went from in the same building, to a warehouse right around the corner, to a warehouse 15 minutes away. Getting parts went from just walking over to the parts room window and telling Erika we needed a part, to a 15 minute turn around time, to 3 hours IF it made it in to the truck and IF the crackheads monitoring one of their 5 different spreadsheets wakes up from his coma in time to see the requested part and decides to act on the request. It gets exponentially more retarded when you consider that that same parts storeroom that once served just one cleanroom is now supplying 3 cleanrooms 60 miles apart, with just 1 truck. All for "cost savings".
Link Posted: 1/30/2022 11:28:07 PM EDT
[#27]
There's a difference between figuring out how to make stuff better as efficiently as possible vs. hoping some kaizen will show up in your kanban because you held the correct lean rituals and spoke the right incantations (and pay good money to ensure all of your employees understand they are supposed to play along as devoted cult members).  This is particularly so when people try to apply lean to innovation/research efforts which are by nature a bit messy and inefficient.   Applying lean incorrectly can lead to management bloat and suppression of innovation.

Link Posted: 1/31/2022 1:02:08 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

That's kind of like the nerdy IT turds sending Microsoft updates to me every day.  I don't need all of those fucking updates and no, I have more important things to do then reboot my computer at 2pm everyday.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's a jobs program with worthless middle management suck-ups.

You don't have any idea what you need.
If they're really doing it at 2pm they are idiots.
If they're doing it remotely close to every day, they are idiots.
If they're giving you a choice in rebooting or not, they are also idiots.

Competent IT guy works like so:
Your shit updates and reboots when I say it does, not you. Get cute and turn your computer off when you leave, it'll update when you turn it on in the morning and you can wait for that. I could wake it up overnight and do it then, but you can wait.
Link Posted: 2/2/2022 1:40:22 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Not wading into the pissing match, but I attend various hour long weekly and biweekly meetings run by Project Managers that have "Scrum" as part of the title, for discrete projects, where the only part that really matters is hitting the completion milestone
View Quote

@jchewie1

I think you already know this, but that's not Agile.

Its only Agile branded.
Link Posted: 2/2/2022 1:52:35 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

You're wrong, or your company is incredibly lucky.  Someone or some people need to architect the software so that effective sprints can be done.  Agile and scrum boards work much more efficiently if OOPs is used, rather than monolithic code structure.

Lots of companies have folded programming and architecture into the same title (i.e., that person does both). Usually, these are the senior people, not usually the newer H1B programming staff.  It sounds like your company did so, but it cannot be everyone as that is too many cooks brewing QA issues.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@74HC

I am neither wrong nor incredibly lucky.

The Scrum Guide prescribes that the Scrum team be a complete set of individuals who can deliver a working product. It's cross-functional, meaning there is no separate QA team. Cross-functional also means it has enough senior/experienced people on the Scrum to guide higher level design decisions.

Most importantly, the members of the Scrum team have the authority to make those decisions on their own.

Each Scrum team should be building a valuable product that can't be purchased elsewhere. "Product" here can be an internal app/service just as easily as it could be a customer facing app/service.

If the members of the Scrum team don't have the authority to make their own decisions, you don't have a Scrum team, you have something else that's not Scrum.

The technical members of the Scrum teams should be regularly self-organizing communication with other Scrum teams - both teams whose apps/services they depend on, and teams that depend on their apps/services, and end-users, if the app/service has end-users.

None of that requires a big "A" architect, though the senior/experienced engineers should be regularly communicating with each other and not self-siloed or forcibly siloed by a PMO or PMP.

Big "A" Architects are common in PMO shops that want to or tend to do Big Up Front Design and because the PMPs want someone to blame if there are problems - to ensure the PMP's micromanagement and siloing doesn't get blamed.

Customer interaction and customer collaboration (where "customer" can be an internal team / internal employees) is more important than a Big A Architect.

That is not to say there's no role at all for higher level technical planning and tracking, but it's de-emphasized, and it's not Big Up Front Design followed by rigidly sticking to a Deadline Oriented Project Plan where any tiny variance has to be approved by a PMP.
Link Posted: 2/2/2022 2:20:20 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Yes, I would agree to a point, but true SS implementation is only a pipe dream! Six Sigma was trademarked by people who were smart enough to market a perceived quick fix for companies with weak Quality systems. If everyone loved one another, there would never be any wars. Unfortunately, you cannot get past personal agendas and SS corrupts the pure science of quality engineering. "Black Belt" and "Master Black Belt" has the stink of a marketing ploy and not quality. SS is not good QE. QE is good QE. If Quality is a religion than SS is a cult. If you want to call it QE then call it QE. Most of us never do, "Six Sigma", we use proven quality tools, and some have been corrupted into "Six Sigma" strategies.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, I would agree to a point, but true SS implementation is only a pipe dream! Six Sigma was trademarked by people who were smart enough to market a perceived quick fix for companies with weak Quality systems. If everyone loved one another, there would never be any wars. Unfortunately, you cannot get past personal agendas and SS corrupts the pure science of quality engineering. "Black Belt" and "Master Black Belt" has the stink of a marketing ploy and not quality. SS is not good QE. QE is good QE. If Quality is a religion than SS is a cult. If you want to call it QE then call it QE. Most of us never do, "Six Sigma", we use proven quality tools, and some have been corrupted into "Six Sigma" strategies.
That's the problem. It became this huge racket like ISO9001 and some other stuff. IF YOU'RE NOT CERTIFIED YOU'RE SHIT! FUCK YOU! More money was probably made selling the training and certs then was saved from the efficiencies of using the process properly.
Link Posted: 2/2/2022 10:33:02 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

@jchewie1

I think you already know this, but that's not Agile.

Its only Agile branded.
View Quote

I know it all too well.  I wouldn't even call it agile branded, it was simply an attempt by the PM to sound smart and up to date.  She has no clue.
Link Posted: 2/2/2022 10:37:10 PM EDT
[#33]
Sounds like you got bought out by a private equity firm.

Link Posted: 2/2/2022 10:44:01 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
If you are not in manufacturing or more specifically if you are in a service industry, when you hear the words Lean 6 Sigma, Lean 6 ,6 Sigma or Lean Anyfuckingthing just start looking for a job because before it is all over you will need it. If you hear it from a 32 year old in cotton dockers, boat shoes and a Hitler youth haircut then take vacation time and go find one NOW.
View Quote

This has been my experience
Link Posted: 2/3/2022 7:47:33 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Sounds like you need to stack hands and circle back.
View Quote

That'll be your action item.
Link Posted: 2/3/2022 11:25:24 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

Congratulations, now you understand how these initiatives work.
Link Posted: 2/3/2022 12:53:39 PM EDT
[#37]
Back pre 9-11, I worked in IT and the company I worked for was failing, they sold off most of the product lines I was working on. Sent about half the staff with it. Laid off a bunch of other folks. They kept me for some reason, reassigned me to do a bunch of shit, gave me a supervisor that I hated. And they decide they are going to implement some new ISO standard, because shit like that always saves a fledgling company, right?

I was supposed to be able to recite some kind of company goal and know my specific job duties, fuck I didn't even really know all the details of the job they had given me. They were supposed to interview me over it in a few weeks, my boss came in and started some shit with me. I walked in the next day and turned in my resignation.

A year later they were done. You can't even find a reference to any of their products any more.

And you sit back and look at it, year 2000, our CEO was making $500k a year. We had a couple of VP's pulling in $250k - $300k for a company with less than 100 employees. I could have run that company into the ground for a whole lot less money back then.
Link Posted: 2/3/2022 12:58:55 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
What is muda?

You have weak management
View Quote

This thread is muda, of site resources. Staff is not amused.
Link Posted: 2/3/2022 1:42:17 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Sounds like you got bought out by a private equity firm.

View Quote

...and they are going to funnel what equity is left to their consultant buddies.
Page / 6
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top