[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How did you file taxes?
View Quote

With the W2 the company gave me
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 6:19:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Somebody is going to jail. It won't be you if what you say is correct. But someone or someones will be....
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 6:20:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I want my tax information sent to the irs for all the years I paid federal withholding and all the social security I paid into.

View Quote

Technically you didn't right? You actually helped make payments on your employer's home, cars, and boat. Didn't he pocket all the money? You need to sue the crap out of him and get your money back. Take a lien out on his property till you are paid in full.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 6:20:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I have some of them. They are most likely buried in a storage unit in Idaho. I did file with H&R Block for a few years so they will have copies.

Problem is the woman said it doesn't matter. They have no record from the company. They can see I filed dating back to 2013 but there were no tax transcripts sent to them from the employer.
View Quote

What part of Idaho? If it would be of help, I'd go dig them out for you and drop them in the mail.

I know you don't know me from Adam, but I'm willing to help you out if you need it.

If you're interested, I'll PM you my number.

I live near Priest River/Spirit Lake.

Sorry, this is happening to you, I can't imagine the stress you're under right now.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 6:22:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Dibs on guns!  
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 6:23:03 PM EDT
[#7]
The state labor board would have been the one of the folks I called.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 6:24:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'd say you're in the clear.  If you did what was reasonable
cooperate with them.  

If you knew your w2 was fraudulent....Eh.  That's on you.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 6:24:45 PM EDT
[#9]
You paid your money, your boss is the one who's in big trouble. He defrauded the IRS.

I bet you're not the only employee he stole from either.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 6:25:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Technically you didn't right? You actually helped make payments on your employer's home, cars, and boat. Didn't he pocket all the money? You need to sue the crap out of him and get your money back. Take a lien out on his property till you are paid in full.
View Quote

I guess you're correct. They have multiple houses in different states. $80,000 vehicles. Jet skis, boats, shit ton of guns, gold and silver.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 6:25:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Damn, that sucks.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 6:28:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I'd say you're in the clear.  If you did what was reasonable
cooperate with them.  

If you knew your w2 was fraudulent....Eh.  That's on you.
View Quote

Yeah, I'm not nor have I ever been involved with any fraud that company has done.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 6:28:56 PM EDT
[#13]
What's the name of the company? I'd be interested what info google search results would reveal about them, I cant imagine it would have paid off much for them to do this to just a single employee.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 6:30:58 PM EDT
[#14]
I just ran your OP through chatGPT and this is what it suggested, which may or may not be applicable:

It sounds like your friend is in a difficult situation and may be a victim of wage theft. They should consider contacting the Department of Labor, specifically the Wage and Hour Division, which is responsible for enforcing federal laws related to wage and hour standards, including minimum wage and overtime pay. They may also want to consider contacting a local legal aid organization or a private attorney who specializes in employment law for further advice. Additionally, they should keep records of any communication with the company, the IRS, and other government agencies, as well as any evidence of the stolen wages, such as pay stubs or bank statements.
View Quote

To which I asked, "Is an employer failing to pay taxes on an employee considered wage theft?"

An employer's failure to pay taxes on an employee's wages may be considered wage theft, depending on the circumstances.

Wage theft is the illegal withholding of earned wages or benefits from an employee. This can include failing to pay an employee the full amount they are owed, such as not paying overtime, not paying the minimum wage, or failing to pay an employee at all.

An employer's failure to pay taxes on an employee's wages may fall under this definition if they are deducting taxes from the employee's paychecks but not remitting those taxes to the government as required by law. This could also be considered as tax fraud.

In any case, it is important for your friend to contact the relevant authorities such as the Department of Labor and the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) to report the matter and seek help.
View Quote

I'm not sure, but here's another person to call. Let us know how it works out.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 6:31:31 PM EDT
[#15]
They also can't claim I never worked there because through the company I had a security clearance for the airport.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 6:31:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Damn... It gives me heartburn even thinking about this this scenario. What a nightmare.

Get a good attorney, sue the hell out of them, and good luck.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 6:31:53 PM EDT
[#17]
From everything you've said, I don't think you personally have any liability, and the harm done to you is that you've been shorted on FICA contributions.  The IRS doesn't give the first flying fuck about "right" or "wrong" only how many dollars they can collect by any means at their disposal.  So they might start leaning on you, but I don't see how you're liable for what the company did.

The "get a lawyer" advice is right, but I think what's missing is that you should be getting one to sue them for the damages they've caused by under reporting SS tax.

But IANAL.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 6:32:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

The lady at the IRS said if we don't have the information, social security wouldn't either.

I confirmed that with SS
View Quote

what does "your social security statement" that is mailed to you yearly show?

you can also log into the SS website and download it.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 6:32:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
How did you file taxes?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 6:32:47 PM EDT
[#20]
What's the boss's Arfcom screenname?
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 6:33:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 6:33:22 PM EDT
[#22]
The first thing you should be doing is calling a local attorney and see if you can get a free consultation. If you've got a solid case, they'll let you know.

Why people come to GD for advice like this never ceases to amaze me. No offense op.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 6:33:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
It sounds like your employer is the one in trouble.
View Quote

This, they committed fraud, you should sue for the amount of your tax liability caused by the fraud.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 6:33:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
The state labor board would have been the one of the folks I called.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 6:36:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Yeah, I'm not nor have I ever been involved with any fraud that company has done.
View Quote

I'd say cooperate.  

Everything you did was in good faith and as long as you can prove that, you're ok.

Link Posted: 1/25/2023 6:36:39 PM EDT
[#26]
That stinks!

I would file a whistleblower claim with the IRS.  Be certain and tell them that the company was not paying taxes for you and all other employees.  Send them a partial list of employee names, if you have it.
If they credit you for reporting fraud, the IRS will pay you ~15% of the taxes they recover for all employees.  Over several years, that reward could be some serious cash.  
https://www.irs.gov/compliance/whistleblower-office
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 6:38:27 PM EDT
[#27]
Wtf?  Ummm so you haven’t done your taxes for 7 yrs?   How the hell did you not know this?

This is a troll thread Im calling BS
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 6:38:38 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I'd say cooperate.  

Everything you did was in good faith and as long as you can prove that, you're ok.

View Quote

cooperate with what?
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 6:39:23 PM EDT
[#29]
Holy shit man, what a total cluster fuck.

I'm sorry you're going through this, what a nightmare.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 6:39:42 PM EDT
[#30]
I had a problem with the IRS that went to my bank, without notifying me, and deducted several thousand dollars from a corporation bank account to pay with holding taxes on my employees. The bank wrote a letter to me about the withdrawal….the IRS never contacted me. Problem was the taxes had been paid, and I had the cancelled checks and all of the paper work to prove the taxes were paid.

I got a run around from the IRS for about 6 months and finally realized they really didn’t really care about resolving the problem. I went to my local congressman’s office and asked for help. I provided all of my paperwork including cancelled checks, etc. After 2 months his staff still could not get the problem solved. Readers Digest version is I personally went to a public speech my congressman was at and talked directly to him. I got a refund plus interest in a few days.

Contact your congressman’s office ASAP and file a complaint. Take all of the checks, tax returns and any documents you have. The employees there are office workers and are not political. Stay on their backs. If you are not making progress that satisfies you, call their office in Washington. I found out the squeaky wheels gets oiled. Let the IRS contact know you have contacted your congressman’s office.

You paid your taxes. Your employer committed fraud. I cannot imagine that you are libel for their fraud.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 6:39:59 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
The first thing you should be doing is calling a local attorney and see if you can get a free consultation. If you've got a solid case, they'll let you know.

Why people come to GD for advice like this never ceases to amaze me. No offense op.
View Quote

I called a local labor attorney. They're reviewing my issue and are going to get back to me.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 6:41:15 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Wtf?  Ummm so you haven't done your taxes for 7 yrs?   How the hell did you not know this?

View Quote

Not trolling. I have done my taxes.

This is so fucked up id think it was trolling too.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 6:43:16 PM EDT
[#33]
Report it to the IRS, then move on with your life.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 6:44:43 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I'm going to try and keep this brief. I met with the IRS at the local office yesterday due to problems with previous tax returns. The lady told me there is no record of me ever working there. The company never sent them my W-2s. It got flagged when I became a supervisor and the federal withholding I claimed was much higher.

It appears they were pocketing the money they were taking out of my check for 7 years.

They are/were being investigated for PPP loan
fraud by IRS criminal investigation division/FBI

I have called the IRS, FTC, social security, US department of labor, labor attorneys and they're all telling me to call someone else.

Labor attorney is going to review and get back to me. This is happening to or has happened to multiple people that have worked for the company in the past.

Idk what to do or who to call. This feels fucking awful.

Help

View Quote

OP, first, you don't want a labor lawyer. Labor lawyers don't deal with this type of situation, they deal with union matters and general employment. This falls into a hybrid employment and tax law area. Employment law is different from labor law.

A tax lawyer may actually be the best place to start here, followed by a consultation with an employment lawyer if you think you're going to end up owing, or if you think your employer owes you money. Tax lawyers generally don't practice outside of defending actions before the agency and in tax court, whereas employment lawyers would be experienced bringing offensive claims in state or fed court.

Second, know that any lawyer that could handle this case will probably not be working on a contingency basis because there is likely to be significant collection issues -- these people are crooks, and crooks hide their money. Also, there's a good chance the feds will beat you to the punch and take all the money.

As far as remedies without hiring a lawyer, you'll want to talk to your state department of labor and any other local similar offices.

Finally, you mentioned your employer is under investigation for PPP loan fraud. How do you know? The IRS doesn't deal with PPP loan fraud, that's done by SBA/FBI/DOJ.

The Financial Institutions Anti-Fraud Enforcement Act of 1990 (FIAFEA) and Financial Institutions Reform, Recovery, and Enforcement Act of 1989 (FIRREA) provide rewards to whistleblowers that expose bank fraud. If you believe the SBA and DOJ are not yet aware of the fraud, you may be able to submit a declaration to the DOJ and later qualify for a reward.

Though, I'll note that in my experience, one of the first things the SBA does in investigating PPP fraud is to pull tax transcripts and compare them to the PPP applications and bank records, which itself can then open a can of worms.

Feel free to PM.

Link Posted: 1/25/2023 6:44:51 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wtf?  Ummm so you haven't done your taxes for 7 yrs?   How the hell did you not know this?

I'm guessing  you don't check your social security statement every year?

Seems like it would be easy to notice that anyway.  Sorry man...people suck.

Also, what did your previous employer say when you ask where all your tax payments went?
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 6:44:53 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I wouldn't worry about it.  You've been filing for those seven years so you've committed no crime.  It's your former employer that the IRS Criminal Division love putting people behind bars and not you.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 6:45:16 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

There's no record I ever worked there.

eta: They received nothing from the company regarding me.
View Quote
Did you file taxes for the last 7 years? They have your word that you worked. You said they only determined this when your refund went over 1000.00.

Now they may have no record from your company that yoh worked and the company  paid them the tax money you owed but if you filed then you told them you worked. If you worked and earned money the IRS will get its cut from you

Did you get any tax refunds in the last 7 years?  What were they refunding if you were not paying taxes?

Link Posted: 1/25/2023 6:45:55 PM EDT
[#38]
Gather up every pay stub and W2 you can find ASAP. Also gather up any bank statements showing deposits of your paychecks. Get as much as you can.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 6:46:37 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

Because there's attorneys on Arf
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 6:46:44 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 6:49:54 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Wtf?  Ummm so you haven’t done your taxes for 7 yrs?   How the hell did you not know this?

View Quote

He filed for 7 years. It was the 7th year IRS red flagged him from my understanding. There use to be some neighbors that lived across the street from me. They would go to Staples every year and buy a pack of W2 forms. Fill them out for people, send them to the IRS or do a rapid refund. I told them once they were going to get into so much trouble for that and they mentioned something about a 6 or 7 year red flag mark. I just don't remember what they said now. This was many years ago. Now they have moved. That or on the run.  lol
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 6:50:41 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I wouldn't worry about it.  You've been filing for those seven years so you've committed no crime.  It's your former employer that the IRS Criminal Division love putting people behind bars and not you.
View Quote
I wouldn't be so sure. He worked, he had income, its ultimately on him to pay his income tax. Not the IRS's fault if the company stole the money they were withholding to pay his taxes
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 6:51:47 PM EDT
[#43]
Not something I’d sweat.  They’re going to go after your employer.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 6:52:14 PM EDT
[#44]
Your former employer will be going to jail.

You can fail to pay YOUR taxes without going to jail, but picketing W2 taxes is 100% sure jail time.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 6:54:20 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I'm going to try and keep this brief. I met with the IRS at the local office yesterday due to problems with previous tax returns. The lady told me there is no record of me ever working there. The company never sent them my W-2s. It got flagged when I became a supervisor and the federal withholding I claimed was much higher.

It appears they were pocketing the money they were taking out of my check for 7 years.

They are/were being investigated for PPP loan
fraud by IRS criminal investigation division/FBI

I have called the IRS, FTC, social security, US department of labor, labor attorneys and they're all telling me to call someone else.

Labor attorney is going to review and get back to me. This is happening to or has happened to multiple people that have worked for the company in the past.

Idk what to do or who to call. This feels fucking awful.

Help

View Quote

Dept. of Labor needs to be looped in. Ask to speak to the IRS CID special agent that is working your case (if it’s been referred), and get a feel from him or her if this is going to be productive. He needs a DOL special agent to assist. You could also call the U.S. Attorneys office (USAO) in your district and ask for the office number of the local DOL resident agent in charge (RAC). Get some names and contact info and put them in touch with each other if necessary. Squeaky wheel gets the grease, but don’t be an asshole (there is a time and place for that). The USAO likely has a victim advocate, use them!  If you were close to ATL I’d hook you up with the RAC. My POC’s are retired by now sadly.

Your former employee is about to get hammered, based on your comments. Sorry you are going thru this. This will get squared away, it’s just going to take some time.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 6:57:30 PM EDT
[#46]
When you got your annual statement from Social Security weren't you the least bit surprised by the $0 earned figure for each of the last five years?
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 6:57:35 PM EDT
[#47]
Man that sucks. So sorry to hear.

So you sent in fake W-2 forms with your tax return for 7 years, and it took the IRS 7 years to catch it? That is some epic incompetence by the IRS.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 7:02:06 PM EDT
[#48]
I bet the IRS will make you pay anyway.  Maybe you can sue your former employer for the money that was fraudulently deducted... for all that's worth
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 7:03:51 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Man that sucks. So sorry to hear.

So you sent in fake W-2 forms with your tax return for 7 years, and it took the IRS 7 years to catch it? That is some epic incompetence by the IRS.
View Quote

It was actually all real. Just the employer wasn't sending the check and stuffs to the IRS. From the employs end, all looked real. It just took the IRS 7 years to realize they were sending checks out and wasn't taking the $ in.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 7:08:33 PM EDT
[#50]
You need a tax attorney. Stat.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top