BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 10:31:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
There is an easement that runs behind my yard for the utilities(power,water,sewer,cable,phone), it's been an overgrown jungle since I bought the house. I call the power company every year complaining about the transformer being over grown and they come out to spray some chemicals on it.  Well their neglect finally caught up and the transformer blew this morning. They came out and replaced the blown transformer early this afternoon.   After I got home from my shop I noticed my yard if FUCKED from the tracked vehicle they drove through it, not only that all the brush they cleared is laying in my back yard. I called customer service and the nice lady said this is NOT their SOP, that they would send out a crew tomorrow to survey the damage/clean up what they did.   What should I expect? Will my yard be restored?  Have you experienced this before?
View Quote

Let’s see now you called customer service and they told you they would be out tomorrow to clean up their mess but you still had to complain about it here in GD. Got it.
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 10:41:28 PM EDT
[#2]
OP doesn’t realize that the crew likely left to fix another transformer. Keeping customers power on is the priority. The linemen don’t have time to fix your landscape. That’s a job for another crew.

The guys who did my line work this winter were super friendly. I was back filling with a shovel and they pulled out the tracked machine and filled the whole thing in within minutes. I know they couldn’t send out a ground crew until spring, so them doing their best was pretty great.
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 11:39:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I got tired of that shit so I preemptively had 100% of the trees in my utility easement cut down and planted new ones 10-15 feet in front of it so they no longer had an excuse to come by every year or two and trash my back yard.

Problem solved, problem staying solved.  Left them nothing to come back and trim in the future.

View Quote

This.  Lot easier to do your own PM, prevent any need for them to come out or lose power in the first place.
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 11:49:44 PM EDT
[#4]
It may take some time but they will usually make it right. Not only that you may end up with a row of pine trees to hide the equipment from view like I got.

Kind of makes sense so that they don't keep needing to plant new trees. They get professional crews to come out at the best time of the year to get them planted right.
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 5:07:58 PM EDT
[#5]
I worked in easements all the time when I was at the phone company.  

We tried to restore as we went. But if it was crazy due to a storm we’d leave a door hanger with a phone number.  

They will fix it.  Just give ‘em a call.
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 5:25:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
OP doesn’t realize that the crew likely left to fix another transformer. Keeping customers power on is the priority. The linemen don’t have time to fix your landscape. That’s a job for another crew.

The guys who did my line work this winter were super friendly. I was back filling with a shovel and they pulled out the tracked machine and filled the whole thing in within minutes. I know they couldn’t send out a ground crew until spring, so them doing their best was pretty great.
View Quote

This,
They're lineman, not landscapers.
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 5:30:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Pictures? MS paint?
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 5:45:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Call them and be polite... As long as you do that, they should be more than responsive.
Had to do this with my gas company...As long as you don't lash out at the service person that the answers the phone you should be alright.
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 5:50:07 PM EDT
[#9]
If they don't get it fixed, call your Public Service Commission.  Keep a log of all your calls (time, date, person you tried to call...).  Be very nice, and explain that you've tried to get them to fix your yard, but you don't know whom to call.  
They should help you out.
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 5:55:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

My yard is wonderfully maintained.  I don't maintain land that isn't mine. I also don't appreciate union fucks damaging my yard.
View Quote

Does he need a hug?  A great big old burly lineman hug?
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 6:07:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

power was restored at 1pm.  I know they're union but there's a lot of work day left after that.
View Quote

Hot and humid after that.  Pool time.
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 6:28:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Just being honest
View Quote
oh i know.

i've done the same from time to time.
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 6:30:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Yeah, call back as soon as they open in the morning and tell 'em they've got an hour to fix it or you're gonna cancel your service.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/29/2022 6:35:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Our POCO would stay oh well.  Neighbor had a fence installed, two months later I lose power.  POCO comes out, guy locates the fault right under a new fence post, says a digging crew will be dispatched.

They dug a BIG hole, fixed the fault, pushed the dirt back in leaving a big hump and said see ya', we do not restore

Meanwhile, the neighbor is out there and says "Man that sucks" and walks away

Now, maybe I'm different but if a contractor I hired f'd up my neighbor's yard and would not repair it I would handle it and deal w/ the contractor.  I called the fence company and he said oh well.

The MIL of my neighbor heard about the situation and sent her landscaper over to fix my yard.  Thankfully that neighbor has moved
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 6:37:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Does he need a hug?  A great big old burly lineman hug?
View Quote
i've had to do that during CPR training.

they always put me with the littlest guy in the room and vice versa.
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 6:42:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Fair username.  All edge, no point.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
OP sounds lazy.

And a Karen.

Fair username.  All edge, no point.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 6:45:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Never seen "respect my authority" from a power company guy before.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/29/2022 7:17:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

power was restored at 1pm.  I know they're union but there's a lot of work day left after that.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Maybe they were already planning on coming back tomorrow?
Shit you said they came out and did it this afternoon. Those guys might need a break too at the end of the day.

I doubt the line supervisor is willing to pay $50.00/hour linemen and $190.00/hour trucks sitting around to fix your yard when they can be doing line work somewhere.
Relax, they will have someone there to fix it. They don’t want the bad optics any more than you want your yard torn up.
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 7:20:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Jesus, give them a day or two.  It’s probably a different crew or a contractor that does it.  It wasn’t planned work.
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 7:21:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Fucking safe thread
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 7:21:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Good thing you don’t live in a Hurricane area after one comes through..  lol have heavy service truck in your yard replacing broken poles in order to get power. Do you really think they come back with a truck full of top soil?  Lol. Get a life
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 7:26:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
The real sad part is guys can't figure out how to replace a transformer without a track machine.  I could do it with two guys and no machine easily.
View Quote

I’m sure those guys could as well.
But there is are reasons utility companies invest huge sums of money into those machines. Those reasons are to prevent having 45 year old linemen with fucked up knees and hurt backs.
Nothing sad about it.
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 7:29:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Electricians are done, the gardners will be by shortly. You're welcome.
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 7:30:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
An easement on YOUR PROPERTY is still YOUR PROPERTY, and YOU are responsible for keeping it maintained (cleared) to your standards.

Letting it get overgrown so it becomes someone else's problem means they're gonna come and treat it like shit, since it's not their property and it's just another day at work for them.
View Quote

This right here.  It's still your property, you just have limitations on what you can do with it, or you can do whatever the fuck you want on it with the understanding that they can tear out anything you put there with no recourse if it hinders their operations within the easement.

Like others have said give it a day or two, and call CS if your non-easement part is fucked up.  Linemen are not landscapers.
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 7:35:54 PM EDT
[#25]
My utility will hire a landscaper to come replace any grass, shrubs or trees we may need to take out.

They will get concrete contractors for restore driveways if we need to do work under those.

The landscaper will get the address, general location on property, and estimated material.  

They will also get the home owners' contact info.  They are told to restore to previous condition and to make the owner happy within reason.  We won't replace your entire shitty driveway because of one flag.
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 7:39:07 PM EDT
[#26]
You should call back and demand to speak to the manager
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 7:48:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I’m sure those guys could as well.
But there is are reasons utility companies invest huge sums of money into those machines. Those reasons are to prevent having 45 year old linemen with fucked up knees and hurt backs.
Nothing sad about it.
View Quote

I doubt they could.  You still need to climb with a back yard machine to hook up a sling.  It's easier to put up a gin pole and a gas capstain than it is to dick around with loading/unloading, taking the bucket off/reassembling the bucket, and laying out heavy, awkward mats(that part they skipped).  No heavy lifting necessary.  They've just never been taught how to lift equipment or set poles without it.
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 7:51:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Easements are easements. It's only kinda "your" yard.
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 7:53:52 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I doubt they could.  You still need to climb with a back yard machine to hook up a sling.  It's easier to put up a gin pole and a gas capstain than it is to dick around with loading/unloading, taking the bucket off/reassembling the bucket, and laying out heavy, awkward mats(that part they skipped).  No heavy lifting necessary.  They've just never been taught how to lift equipment or set poles without it.
View Quote

Our backyard machines have buckets.
Y’all are behind the times.
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 8:05:33 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Our backyard machines have buckets.
Y’all are behind the times.
View Quote

Lucky.  Our backyard machine buckets come off for material handling, so you need a climber.  Can't grab a transformer with the bucket on.  We do have full size track machine diggers and buckets but we rarely use them.  Only in a right of way where there's heavier distribution or transmission.

We have a few 125' track machines throughout the company.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 8:09:39 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Our POCO would stay oh well.  Neighbor had a fence installed, two months later I lose power.  POCO comes out, guy locates the fault right under a new fence post, says a digging crew will be dispatched.

They dug a BIG hole, fixed the fault, pushed the dirt back in leaving a big hump and said see ya', we do not restore

Meanwhile, the neighbor is out there and says "Man that sucks" and walks away

Now, maybe I'm different but if a contractor I hired f'd up my neighbor's yard and would not repair it I would handle it and deal w/ the contractor.  I called the fence company and he said oh well.

The MIL of my neighbor heard about the situation and sent her landscaper over to fix my yard.  Thankfully that neighbor has moved
View Quote

Don't put fences in easements.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top