BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 224
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 9:59:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Xepho:
Asked this before, never got an answer...

What is your plan if this whole thing just ends up with the ATF giving up and letting you have this small victory.  Two guys get guns, boo hoo.  Without an appeal ruling or a supreme court ruling, it doesn't mean jack shit to anyone other than the two plaintiffs, correct?
View Quote

Initially, but those who formed a trust, and were denied, will then sue under equal protection and the same grounds as this case. And the .gov loses the we never approved post '86 MGs as a defense right off the bat.
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 9:59:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: fla556guy] [#2]
Originally Posted By TescoVee:
We sue for equal protection because the Gov is letting some have new MG's but not others.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

What is your plan if this whole thing just ends up with the ATF giving up and letting you have this small victory.  Two guys get guns, boo hoo.  Without an appeal ruling or a supreme court ruling, it doesn't mean jack shit to anyone other than the two plaintiffs, correct?
We sue for equal protection because the Gov is letting some have new MG's but not others.  

Wouldn't equal protection be assumed, considering that NOLO argued on that basis.....court precedent and all?  I'm no lawyer, but it would be logical that would be the case.  (although legal stuff doesn't always make logical sense to me).

In other words, will a lawyer type please fix me if I'm wrong?
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 10:26:08 AM EDT
[#3]

View Quote
It's waaayy too late for them to backpedal to that point.

But as stated; equal protection suite
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 10:28:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Diesel_Maximus_2992:

View All Quotes

That would be suite!
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 10:29:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By fla556guy:

Wouldn't equal protection be assumed, considering that NOLO argued on that basis.....court precedent and all?  I'm no lawyer, but it would be logical that would be the case.  (although legal stuff doesn't always make logical sense to me).

View All Quotes

"Equal protection" requires that the government treat everyone who is similarly situated in the same way.

The argument would be: Are people who applied for and who were denied tax stamps to make a machine gun similarly situated with those who applied for and whose applications were approved to make a machine gun?

It's an interesting hypothetical.
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 10:29:39 AM EDT
[#6]

Originally Posted By dlshady:
That would be suite!
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By dlshady:

That would be suite!
Too lazy to fix ipotato edits

Link Posted: 3/12/2015 11:22:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By POLYTHENEPAM:

"Equal protection" requires that the government treat everyone who is similarly situated in the same way.

The argument would be: Are people who applied for and who were denied tax stamps to make a machine gun similarly situated with those who applied for and whose applications were approved to make a machine gun?

View All Quotes

Wouldn't all of the trusts that applied to form 1 MG's be equally situated?
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 11:28:33 AM EDT
[#8]

Originally Posted By bluewidow:

View All Quotes

Possibly, but the ruling to create that scenario would scare the shit out of me... Because it would leave a lot of room to have trust "fixed" with legislation

Link Posted: 3/12/2015 11:31:30 AM EDT
[#9]

Possibly, but the ruling to create that scenario would scare the shit out of me... Because it would leave a lot of room to have trust "fixed" with legislation  
View All Quotes

That would be less than ideal.  I'm sure the majority of our legislators would take almost zero heat for a "trusts cant have new MGs" bill.

Link Posted: 3/12/2015 11:57:35 AM EDT
[#10]
View Quote

Interesting argument. It adds an interesting twist to the hypothetical.
First the argument is that trusts are not subject to 18 USC 922(o) because trusts are not persons within the definition of 18 USC 921.
Then the argument becomes these trusts are entitled to equal protection because the trusts are persons within the meaning of the 14th Amendment.

This non-person/person which received a tax stamp and approval to make a machine gun is similarly situated to these other non-persons/persons which did not receive a tax stamp and which were denied approval to make a machine gun.

Fortunately (or unfortunately depending on the side you're on), logic does not always win the day when it comes to the law.

But to answer your point, it is not necessarily the case that those who were approved are similarly situated with those who were denied.
That is an issue which must be decided.
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 12:25:14 PM EDT
[#11]

View All Quotes

I believe so I applied just in case that happened.
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 12:51:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WorkDroid] [#12]
Just hit my facebook feed. Looks like its gonna start getting attention. Fuck.

www.examiner.com/article/court-filing-argues-post-1986-machine-gun-ban-defies-constitution

ETA: link left cold
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 12:59:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Diesel_Maximus_2992] [#13]
Just as a proceedural question (for those of us without the means or machining skills to act of a SCOTUS victory in this matter)

If we win, and form 1s become legitimate. Could I recieve approval and then have a gun smithing shop do the conversion? Namely because at that point there would be no reason NOT to have select fire on every weapon capable of supporting it IMHO. y

Link Posted: 3/12/2015 1:00:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 1:02:56 PM EDT
[#15]

Just as a proceedural question (for those of us without the means or machining skills to act of a SCOTUS victory in this matter)
If we win, and form 1s become legitimate. Could I recieve approval and then have a gun smithing shop do the conversion? Namely because at that point there would be no reason NOT to have select fire on every weapon capable of supporting it IMHO. y

View Quote

Looking at ATF's document concerning 80% lowers I don't believe that would work.  You would need to do the initial work yourself, which thankfully isn't hard.  You could have it repaired after you make it though.
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 1:03:14 PM EDT
[#16]

View Quote

Equal application under the color of law.  I'll file a form 1 and sue based on this case.  Takes a little longer but I guarandamntee you that it'll get to SCOTUS.
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 1:06:12 PM EDT
[#17]

Originally Posted By Hard_Rock:
Equal application under the color of law. I'll file a form 1 and sue based on this case. Takes a little longer but I guarandamntee you that it'll get to SCOTUS.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Hard_Rock:

What is your plan if this whole thing just ends up with the ATF giving up and letting you have this small victory. Two guys get guns, boo hoo. Without an appeal ruling or a supreme court ruling, it doesn't mean jack shit to anyone other than the two plaintiffs, correct?

Equal application under the color of law. I'll file a form 1 and sue based on this case. Takes a little longer but I guarandamntee you that it'll get to SCOTUS.

No one can guarantee SCOTUS.  IIRC only 2% of cases appealed to SCOTUS actually go there.
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 1:08:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Boom_Stick:
Just hit my facebook feed. Looks like its gonna start getting attention. Fuck.

www.examiner.com/article/court-filing-argues-post-1986-machine-gun-ban-defies-constitution

ETA: link left cold
View Quote

That link has been posted in this thread.  

Why leave a link to a David Codrea article cold?  He is on our side, as I recall.
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 1:09:17 PM EDT
[#19]

Originally Posted By jaqufrost:

Looking at ATF's document concerning 80% lowers I don't believe that would work.  You would need to do the initial work yourself, which thankfully isn't hard.  You could have it repaired after you make it though.
View All Quotes

Hmm ok. I guess my follow up would be, would it be legal for a shop to assist me in my manufacturing. They talk me through it and I "manufacture it" then they make it perfect/functional?

Link Posted: 3/12/2015 1:14:30 PM EDT
[#20]

Hmm ok. I guess my follow up would be, would it be legal for a shop to assist me in my manufacturing. They talk me through it and I "manufacture it" then they make it perfect/functional?
View All Quotes

Looking at ATF's document concerning 80% lowers I don't believe that would work. You would need to do the initial work yourself, which thankfully isn't hard. You could have it repaired after you make it though.
Looking at the same document I would say no.  It would have to be rough machined at your house(or place you own).  Once it has a hole through the receiver for the auto sear it becomes a machinegun though.  

I would suggest buying a cheap mini mill and practice milling out some 80% lowers.  You can even do it with a drill press, but it doesn't look as pretty.  Once you've done an 80 on a small mill I think you will be comfortable making a few passes to turn an AR15 into an M16.

Link Posted: 3/12/2015 1:14:46 PM EDT
[#21]
View All Quotes

He's talking about an existing title 1 firearm, not an 80% lower.  

Easily solved a different way if you don't want to touch it at all.  

Just order a lower shipped to you 07/02, have him build and register it as a machinegun, then transfer it to you on a form 4, paying him what should be a pretty reasonable fee for the work and the transfer of course.  

Link Posted: 3/12/2015 1:15:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By NoloContendere:
Subguns deletes a post that is not inflammatory in the least.  

I posted: "what would it take for you to believe? A national organization stepping in?" And they deleted it.  
View Quote

NOLO, im guessing they are loosing more sleep over this than the ATF? "Do I sell off now and risk having to purchase back at higher than already massively inflated prices, or do I keep and HOPE nothing changes." These guys have serious money invested in items that may drop value by orders of magnitude overnight, to the point of becoming nearly worthless. Who is going to buy a beat up POS M-16 from the 80's when they can place an order for a selectfire SCAR/LMT/COLT thats brand new?

I have tried to spread the word about this all over the web, its very difficult! THIS THREAD and its contents are the BEST KEPT SECRET SINCE HILLARY'S EMAILS!!
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 1:19:54 PM EDT
[#23]

Originally Posted By fargo007:

Just order a lower shipped to you 07/02, have him build and register it as a machinegun, then transfer it to you on a form 4, paying him what should be a pretty reasonable fee for the work and the transfer of course.

View All Quotes

Looking at ATF's document concerning 80% lowers I don't believe that would work. You would need to do the initial work yourself, which thankfully isn't hard. You could have it repaired after you make it though.

Yes, an 07/02 could do the work and transfer on a form 4.  But you can't do a form 1 and then have them make the gun.
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 1:28:45 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 1:42:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Diesel_Maximus_2992] [#25]

View All Quotes

Forgive my newbness. I'm referring to a firearm I currently own (my franken15) and having someone convert it after it becomes legal to do so. So I think I'm out of luck

Link Posted: 3/12/2015 1:43:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Freedom_Or_DEATH:

NOLO, im guessing they are loosing more sleep over this than the ATF? "Do I sell off now and risk having to purchase back at higher than already massively inflated prices, or do I keep and HOPE nothing changes." These guys have serious money invested in items that may drop value by orders of magnitude overnight, to the point of becoming nearly worthless. Who is going to buy a beat up POS M-16 from the 80's when they can place an order for a selectfire SCAR/LMT/COLT thats brand new?

I have tried to spread the word about this all over the web, its very difficult! THIS THREAD and its contents are the BEST KEPT SECRET SINCE HILLARY'S EMAILS!!
View All Quotes

I posted: "what would it take for you to believe? A national organization stepping in?" And they deleted it.  

Link Posted: 3/12/2015 1:45:32 PM EDT
[#27]

Forgive my newbness. I'm referring to a firearm I currently own (my franken15) converting it after a victory. So I think I'm out of luck  
View Quote

Negative ghost rider, you would just register it on a Form 1 like you do an SBR.  Once that's done, get yourself a drill press and <carefully> go to town.
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 1:46:15 PM EDT
[#28]

Forgive my newbness. I'm referring to a firearm I currently own (my franken15) and having someone convert it after a victory. So I think I'm out of luck
View All Quotes

SNIP

Forgive my newbness. I'm referring to a firearm I currently own (my franken15) and having someone convert it after a victory. So I think I'm out of luck

Proper method for having someone else convert it would be to give the firearm to your 07/02 dealer/manufacturer.  Then he will make the machinegun with it and start the paperwork to transfer it back to you on a form 4.
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 1:46:48 PM EDT
[#29]
So far the Examiner article has been posted what, 3 times?  Four?
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 1:48:27 PM EDT
[#30]

Originally Posted By ARDestructo:

So far the Examiner article has been posted what, 3 times? Four?
View Quote

I posted a new examiner article.
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 1:48:44 PM EDT
[#31]
I am in eastern PA and I have a few SBRs on a trust already. I'm know I am a little late to the party but any reason I shouldn't send off a form 1 to an MG conversion using my existing (and previously accepted) trust?
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 1:50:35 PM EDT
[#32]
I want to Form 1 a shoelace.
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 1:51:38 PM EDT
[#33]
Forgive my newbness. I'm referring to a firearm I currently own (my franken15) and having someone convert it after it becomes legal to do so. So I think I'm out of luck  
View All Quotes

No.  You're in luck, it's just done on a different form.  Read as above.  

Any 07/02 can do that for you (he is a licensed manufacturer) and transfer it to you as a registered MG on an ATF form 4.

Link Posted: 3/12/2015 1:56:19 PM EDT
[#34]

I have tried to spread the word about this all over the web, its very difficult! THIS THREAD and its contents are the BEST KEPT SECRET SINCE HILLARY'S EMAILS!! [
img]http://www.ar15.com/images/smilies/smiley_smartass.gif[/img]
View All Quotes

I have tried to spread the word about this all over the web, its very difficult! THIS THREAD and its contents are the BEST KEPT SECRET SINCE HILLARY'S EMAILS!! [
img]http://www.ar15.com/images/smilies/smiley_smartass.gif[/img]

yup, mac10s and stens are going to be $350, M16s will be $700
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 1:59:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Diesel_Maximus_2992] [#35]

Any 07/02 can do that for you (he is a licensed manufacturer) and transfer it to you as a registered MG on an ATF form 4.
View All Quotes

Originally Posted By jaqufrost

Hmm ok. I'll stop hijacking the thread now

GIVE EM HELL NOLO!

Link Posted: 3/12/2015 2:03:57 PM EDT
[#36]

View All Quotes
So far the Examiner article has been posted what, 3 times? Four?

So you did. My apologies.
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 2:05:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BURN] [#37]

View Quote

Every AR gets a third hole, new carrier and an auto sear....Every Glock gets a new back plate
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 2:08:38 PM EDT
[#38]
I tend to think ALOT of drop in auto sears will be made for use on current semi only AR's.

That, and Mr Geissele will sell out of his FA trigger groups rather quickly however people decide to add a happy switch...
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 2:11:31 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By BURN:

Every AR gets a third hole, new carrier and an auto sear....Every Glock gets a new back plate
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By BURN:

Not so fast.  I'd always want to have a few "Title I" weapons on hand... traveling over state lines/to states that aren't MG friendly and "rolling your own" 80%s are two reasons that come to mind.
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 2:17:26 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By yavorssj:
I tend to think ALOT of drop in auto sears will be made for use on current semi only AR's.

That, and Mr Geissele will sell out of his FA trigger groups rather quickly however people decide to add a happy switch...
View Quote

Indeed

Slight  tangent--- I understand that the John Noveske memorial triggers by Geissele were all select fire.  I'm sure that not everyone using those has a pre-'86 M16, so...... (serious question) would a Geissele SSF in a semi lower, with a semi selector get you in hot water?
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 2:22:59 PM EDT
[#41]

Originally Posted By orpheus762x51:
Indeed

Slight tangent--- I understand that the John Noveske memorial triggers by Geissele were all select fire. I'm sure that not everyone using those has a pre-'86 M16, so...... (serious question) would a Geissele SSF in a semi lower, with a semi selector get you in hot water?
View All Quotes

Indeed

Slight tangent--- I understand that the John Noveske memorial triggers by Geissele were all select fire. I'm sure that not everyone using those has a pre-'86 M16, so...... (serious question) would a Geissele SSF in a semi lower, with a semi selector get you in hot water?
I would not do it.

Link Posted: 3/12/2015 2:27:32 PM EDT
[#42]

Indeed

Slight  tangent--- I understand that the John Noveske memorial triggers by Geissele were all select fire.  I'm sure that not everyone using those has a pre-'86 M16, so...... (serious question) would a Geissele SSF in a semi lower, with a semi selector get you in hot water?
View All Quotes

Indeed

Not alone, but it's one part. No one part alone gets you in trouble. Unless it's an auto sear.  But combine a few "no one part" parts and you might inadvertently find yourself in hot water. I'd play it safe.
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 2:45:13 PM EDT
[#43]

Not alone, but it's one part. No one part alone gets you in trouble. Unless it's an auto sear.  But combine a few "no one part" parts and you might inadvertently find yourself in hot water. I'd play it safe.
View All Quotes

Indeed

So if someone were to put in one of those DPMS M16 LPKs in the blister packs that you see at gunshows sometimes, that wouldn't fly? I've thought about buying one, but didn't think it would be worth it.
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 2:50:44 PM EDT
[#44]

Not alone, but it's one part. No one part alone gets you in trouble. Unless it's an auto sear. But combine a few "no one part" parts and you might inadvertently find yourself in hot water. I'd play it safe.
View All Quotes

SNIP
Not alone, but it's one part. No one part alone gets you in trouble. Unless it's an auto sear. But combine a few "no one part" parts and you might inadvertently find yourself in hot water. I'd play it safe.

Technically it's 3 parts.  Olofson was convicted with four.
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 3:00:27 PM EDT
[#45]

View All Quotes
SNIP

not familiar with that rule, is it statutory or just some of atf's made up bullshit?
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 3:00:35 PM EDT
[#46]
I would not do it.
View All Quotes
I would not do it.

Interesting.  I'm not planning on throwing an SSF in any semi guns, I was just curious.

/thread derail
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 3:18:31 PM EDT
[#47]
traveling over state lines/to states that aren't MG friendly
View Quote

If MGs are a right, there won't be any "states that aren't MG friendly" anymore.
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 3:22:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TescoVee] [#48]

Interesting.  I'm not planning on throwing an SSF in any semi guns, I was just curious.
/thread derail
View All Quotes

I would not do it.

/thread derail
I cant remember his name but read on here that some guy with a with a rifle that came from the factory with full auto lpk sans the autosear had a double at the range.  The ATF jumped on him and got a conviction for an unregistered MG through some shenanigans.

Link Posted: 3/12/2015 3:24:24 PM EDT
[#49]
I cant remember his name but read on here that some guy with a with a rifle that came from the factory with full auto lpk sans the autosear had a double doubled at the range.  The ATF jumped on him and got a conviction for an unregistered MG through some shenanigans.  
View Quote

That was Olofson.
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 3:26:48 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By Top_Secret:

That was Olofson.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Top_Secret:
I cant remember his name but read on here that some guy with a with a rifle that came from the factory with full auto lpk sans the autosear had a double doubled at the range.  The ATF jumped on him and got a conviction for an unregistered MG through some shenanigans.  

That was Olofson.

I'm familiar with that case.
Page / 224
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top