Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/1/2023 4:53:20 PM EDT
New York has become the sixth state in the United States to legalize natural organic reduction, popularly known as human composting, as a method of burial.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/new-york-becomes-6th-us-state-green-light-human-composting-law

Per the article:
The process involves the body of the deceased being placed into a reusable vessel, along with plant material such as wood chips, alfalfa and straw. The organic mix creates the perfect habitat for naturally occurring microbes to do their work, quickly and efficiently breaking down the body in about a month’s time.

This is a thing??????

Sounds a bit like Soylent Green??
Link Posted: 1/1/2023 4:57:50 PM EDT
[#1]
That's probably tied into Cuomo's sending infected covid patients into all the nursing homes to initiate mass homicide of the most vulnerable of the population.  Gotta kickstart it somehow.
Link Posted: 1/1/2023 4:58:30 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't have an issue with this. Embalming and expensive caskets always seemed weird to me.
Link Posted: 1/1/2023 4:58:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Why waste good CHON?
Link Posted: 1/1/2023 5:00:54 PM EDT
[#4]
I am confused why is this a bad thing?
Link Posted: 1/1/2023 5:23:38 PM EDT
[#6]
This is a good thing, being preserved in a box for eternity is idiotic.
Link Posted: 1/1/2023 5:24:02 PM EDT
[#7]
What do you think happens when you get put in the ground in a casket? That shit eventually rots and you're worm food anyway.

A friend of ours died young from an aggressive form of cancer. She wanted to be cremated and spread under the roots of a newly-planted tree so her kids and husband could visit. Not a bad way to leave a legacy.
Link Posted: 1/1/2023 5:26:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I don't have an issue with this. Embalming and expensive caskets always seemed weird to me.
View Quote

Quoted:
View Quote

I'm curious if there's safety issues with it. Like bringing viruses and stuff into the water supply.

I have done zero research on the matter, nor pondered it for more than 2 seconds. But seems like maybe we have been doing this for thousands of years for good reason.
Link Posted: 1/1/2023 5:34:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Happens with dead animals out in the wild literally all the time, even right now as you’re reading this. I don’t think there’s anything odd about wanting to be buried and allowed to rot.
Link Posted: 1/1/2023 6:42:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I'm curious if there's safety issues with it. Like bringing viruses and stuff into the water supply.

I have done zero research on the matter, nor pondered it for more than 2 seconds. But seems like maybe we have been doing this for thousands of years for good reason.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes I would assume there are sanitary reasons for cremation and embalming. This law puts composting facilities under the same regs as funeral homes with regards to handling dead bodies.  Composting is a process of accelerating human remains into soil in a container. At that point I guess the remains are safe.
Link Posted: 1/1/2023 6:46:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Good!

If you want to know more, here's a good vid on it.

Let's Visit the Human Composting Facility!
Link Posted: 1/1/2023 6:49:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Yes I would assume there are sanitary reasons for cremation and embalming. This law puts composting facilities under the same regs as funeral homes with regards to handling dead bodies.  Composting is a process of accelerating human remains into soil in a container. At that point I guess the remains are safe.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm not so sure. I don't find the idea morally offensive or anything but not only am I very distrustful of government to begin with, I'm also raising an eyebrow at discarding thousands of years of human tradition. Tradition which I have to assume is born out of harsh lessons.
Link Posted: 1/1/2023 6:49:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Good!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LJSEZ_pl3Y
View Quote

I watched this vid a few months ago. Interdasting.

Link Posted: 1/1/2023 6:50:40 PM EDT
[#15]
I mean literally every country in the world buries their dead.

That crazy uncontacted tribe in the Indian Ocean that shoots arrows at visitors buries their dead.

I don't trust this
Link Posted: 1/1/2023 6:51:16 PM EDT
[#16]
EPA will probably not like having all that oil and grease in the soil
Link Posted: 1/1/2023 6:52:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Good!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LJSEZ_pl3Y
View Quote

Yep watched like a minute of it.

Transhumanist nonsense
Link Posted: 1/1/2023 6:52:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Same.

Go back to the earth and give life to something else.
Link Posted: 1/1/2023 6:52:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/1/2023 6:52:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Anyone who hates their humanity cannot be trusted and is very dangerous
Link Posted: 1/1/2023 6:54:11 PM EDT
[#21]
I wouldn’t mind seeing a clear cut forest being repurposed as a cemetery.  Dig a deep hole and bury your loved one and plant a tree over their body.
Link Posted: 1/1/2023 6:54:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Lets throw out lessons learned in the past.

Like the hip trend of living in a van and shitting in a bucket. No sanitation issues possible there.
Link Posted: 1/1/2023 6:54:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Doesn't NYC have a whole island that they've been dumping bodies on for the last century or two?
Link Posted: 1/1/2023 6:55:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Lets throw out lessons learned in the past.

Like the hip trend of living in a van and shitting in a bucket. No sanitation issues possible there.
View Quote

I'm with you sir
Link Posted: 1/1/2023 6:55:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Doesn't NYC have a whole island that they've been dumping bodies on for the last century or two?
View Quote

Yep. They sure do.
Link Posted: 1/1/2023 6:56:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
This is a good thing, being preserved in a box for eternity is idiotic.
View Quote
I keep having this dream where some archeologists find my grave in the year 3000 and being so perfectly preserved they "revive".

kinda like buck rogers without space ships and robots that have penis heads.
Link Posted: 1/1/2023 6:57:40 PM EDT
[#27]
I guess not every state has cadaver farms...
Link Posted: 1/1/2023 6:57:42 PM EDT
[#28]
I forget who said it but there was a conservative 1950s philosopher from the old right (anti war unless necessary, fiscal responsibility, etc) who said (paraphrasing):

You should be very careful before you tear down a fence, and you should fully understand why it was built there beforehand.
Link Posted: 1/1/2023 7:00:48 PM EDT
[#29]
I should have figured some weird loony reasons would be given as to why this is bad.
Link Posted: 1/1/2023 7:01:29 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I should have figured some weird loony reasons would be given as to why this is bad.
View Quote

What's looney
Link Posted: 1/1/2023 8:24:26 PM EDT
[#31]
"Ashes to ashes, dust to dust"

It has long seemed weird to me that people are hermetically sealed in containers after being chemically mummified, given the dominance of Christianity in our culture.  Personally, I always wanted to be buried like a Mongol king with my corpse placed on a high plateau to be ripped apart by carrion birds as a passage to the Sky God.  The forensic body farms seem like the most natural burial method.  :)
Link Posted: 1/1/2023 8:38:03 PM EDT
[#32]
Used to be called green burials. There's a few cemeteries that accept pine box style caskets and nonembalmed corpses.

I'd prefer that.  Dissapear into the soil and made into crude oil.  

Link Posted: 1/1/2023 8:47:58 PM EDT
[#33]
I find no issue with this...you are dead...period...

You want to have a fancy funeral...do it...

You want to be cremated...do it...

You want to be part of nature...do it...

Who cares...your body is gone...
Link Posted: 1/1/2023 8:55:05 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

That crazy uncontacted tribe in the Indian Ocean that shoots arrows at visitors buries their dead.

I don't trust this
View Quote

*laughs in India*
Link Posted: 1/1/2023 8:55:06 PM EDT
[#35]
Animals have been rotting in the forest and seas for eternity. We’re not that special.
Link Posted: 1/1/2023 9:02:45 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't trust this

*laughs in India*
https://media.cnn.com/api/v1/images/stellar/prod/110902014151-india-funeral-pyre.jpg?q=w_1602,h_1016,x_0,y_0,c_fill

Wew

Okay so nuke India and then the rest of the world can be normal
Link Posted: 1/1/2023 9:03:02 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Animals have been rotting in the forest and seas for eternity. We’re not that special.
View Quote

We are that special. We are the only rational animal
Link Posted: 1/1/2023 9:08:07 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 1/1/2023 9:09:27 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I dunno. Don't really care.

Funerals are for the living.

Once I'm gone, it's basically up to my family and friends. Do with me what you will - whatever helps the grieving process. Or science. Or the earth. Or whatever the hell you people collectively feel is the best use of what's left of me. Won't really matter to me anymore.
View Quote

That's an interesting thought I wonder what they do with the science bodies after they're done scienceing them
Link Posted: 1/1/2023 9:10:35 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

Once deceased, the meaningful distinctions from the remainder of the animal kingdom is gone.
Link Posted: 1/1/2023 9:11:25 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

This, and wasteful.  Cemeteries take up a lot of space that will never be reclaimed.  I see nothing wrong with it.  Besides, who wants cotton stuffed up their ass?
Link Posted: 1/1/2023 9:13:41 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Once deceased, the meaningful distinctions from the remainder of the animal kingdom is gone.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

One could rationally assume since we are different in life we are different in death.

Much like a plant isn't a dog, and a dog isn't a person.

But to your point I'm not really sure how that affects burial. I mean having a rational soul versus a plant soul isn't defined by how you're buried. I don't know. Just kinda naturally skeptical of this, for no good reason.
Link Posted: 1/1/2023 9:23:37 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

One could rationally assume since we are different in life we are different in death.

But to your point I'm not really sure how that affects burial. I mean having a rational soul versus a plant soul isn't defined by how you're buried. I don't know. Just kinda naturally skeptical of this, for no good reason.
View Quote

If I ever come across your corpse I'll not give it a viking funeral
Link Posted: 1/1/2023 9:26:59 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Burial at sea is a really old tradition though
Link Posted: 1/1/2023 9:39:05 PM EDT
[#45]
I want to be fed to the bears and wolves in the mountains ,the full circle of life thing.
Link Posted: 1/1/2023 10:35:57 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

That's an interesting thought I wonder what they do with the science bodies after they're done scienceing them
View Quote

Usually cremation.
Link Posted: 1/1/2023 10:44:39 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

We had a friend in medical school years ago.  Each student was responsible for one segment of their anatomy lab.  They would go to the lab and pick up a bunch of whatever they were dissecting that day.

On her day she went and picked up a bucket of dicks for the class.
Link Posted: 1/1/2023 10:46:50 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 1/1/2023 10:58:55 PM EDT
[#49]
Im good with decomposition in a wooden box, in a cemetery.  I want family to have a place to go that I'am physically at.  I think it's the most natural thing.  It also respects that the body we're in now, is the body that will be raised up/renewed in the Resurrection; so I think leaving the body as-is respects that.   Embalming and elaborate tombing procedures all seem like a gargantuan waste.  I suppose for the sake of future historians it's got some merit, but it's weird how embalming becoming THE common practice.  

I think cremation is kinda creepy and perhaps disrespectful to the body.  Even though the soul has passed, the body was still that of the person/animal you cared for, so to just incinerate what was so precious, idk, I don't care for it.  One of our pets was buried, and I think of it as still being there. But another one, a family pet, was cremated.  The ashes were buried, but it's the tiny lock of hair that is all that's really left.  Ashes just don't mean the same thing.
Link Posted: 1/1/2023 11:04:22 PM EDT
[#50]
Metal coffins were until the last century were reserved for royalty due to the cost. Go through history and you find some kings, queens etc buried in cast bronze, copper or lead lined boxes, but until recently it was too expensive to do that for most people. You got wrapped in a blanket or sheet, maybe a wooden casket if you were well off in an established area and buried as you died, no embalming done. Todays "sanitary" regulations are rooted in science a little, but a concrete enclosure holding a metal coffin with a totally embalmed body inside that is going to last for eons just as it is; is more than a little overkill.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top