Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 11:51:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Isn't Japanese construction notoriously poor?
View Quote

yes it is primarily pre-fabricated type --  designed to last 25-30-ish years.  many articles online discuss this 'disposable housing' phenomenon.

of course you have the value of the land.  but your typical home in japan is not built to last 75+ years like here in the USA
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 11:51:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

sit down for a sad tale.

Many years back, my family left the hills of Kentucky to chase Pancho Villa out of Arizona.  My great-and-change-grandpa met a senorita down near Tubac and decided to stay. Time passed, and my pathetic ass got chased out because too many tech-bros from San Fuckyourself, California bought houses and I couldn't afford it.  Back to the hills of Kentucky for me, until the next horse-pirate lowers property values enough for me to go back.

View Quote

You and I are prolly gonna be sharing the same ending. Though my family didn’t come here for Pancho Villa, just to settle out here.
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 11:52:11 AM EDT
[#3]
It's fascinating. From my limited understanding, it's difficult and expensive to renovate homes in Japan, so most people don't bother. The gov't doesn't seem to care about the problem, but they don't turn into crack houses like in the USA.

And it's crazy how quickly homes deteriorate in that climate. Built in 1989, Abandoned in 2014? Wow.
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 11:52:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

You and I are prolly gonna be sharing the same ending. Though my family didn't come here for Pancho Villa, just to settle out here.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

sit down for a sad tale.

Many years back, my family left the hills of Kentucky to chase Pancho Villa out of Arizona.  My great-and-change-grandpa met a senorita down near Tubac and decided to stay. Time passed, and my pathetic ass got chased out because too many tech-bros from San Fuckyourself, California bought houses and I couldn't afford it.  Back to the hills of Kentucky for me, until the next horse-pirate lowers property values enough for me to go back.

You and I are prolly gonna be sharing the same ending. Though my family didn't come here for Pancho Villa, just to settle out here.

roomies in Japan?
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 11:52:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Tokyo still fond of wood structures I see.
View Quote

Earthquakes yo.
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 11:52:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

elite sumo class
View Quote

MA!

MOVIN' TO JAPAN!!

MA!!!

DO THEY HAVE DINO TENDIES IN JAPAN?!!!!

MA!!
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 11:53:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I don't think Japan is very big about letting non Japanese move into their country and they are smart for being that way.
View Quote

Then they had better start having babies. God isn't making anymore land, at some point someone will move into the Japanese islands once there aren't enough Japanese to stop them.
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 11:53:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Nope.  I like where I'm at and I don't want Gojirra to be flattening my home.
View Quote

Don't worry about Godzilla. Worry about Democrats in your state giving your home to Juan and Juanita.
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 11:53:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Why put too much money and effort in if it's just going to get knocked down by the next earthquake / typhoon / tidal wave / kaiju ?
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 11:53:57 AM EDT
[#10]
View All Quotes

Even better. Karaage
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 11:54:46 AM EDT
[#11]
Better gun rights and I'm single.....gone
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 11:56:51 AM EDT
[#12]
Kei trucks, Japanese carpentry, and skinny Asian chicks. 24 year old me would have already been on a plane. Pretty sure my Mexican wife would track me across the globe to murder me if I left her with all these kids though, so I’ll leave this adventure for your young guns.
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 11:57:16 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 11:59:41 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

roomies in Japan?
View Quote

Bet, we’ll have weekly sushi and sake nights with JLP3
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 11:59:55 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I'm guessing that said 25K houses are not in Japan's version of The Hamptons.  I'm willing to bet that Detroit has sub 25k houses too.

View Quote

Can't even compare.  No crime, loud music, trashed out streets.  The Japanese don't have vermins living amongst them.
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 11:59:58 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I thought Japan was overcrowded and shoehorning people into apartments the size of coffins.

View Quote
The cities are.   The rural areas are being abandoned. If they had more friendly gun laws it would be ideal opportunity .
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 12:00:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Helps having a Japanese wife, that language is hard to learn and they don't like us gaijin.
View Quote

“Heaven is an American salary, a British house, a Chinese cook and a Japanese wife.
Hell is a Chinese salary, a Japanese house, a British cook and an American wife.”
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 12:02:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Lol, no
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 12:02:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Can't even compare.  No crime, loud music, trashed out streets.  The Japanese don't have vermins living amongst them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm guessing that said 25K houses are not in Japan's version of The Hamptons.  I'm willing to bet that Detroit has sub 25k houses too.

the don't have vermin living amongst them, yet.

I gotta pack.
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 12:03:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

getting killed by mechagodzilla is 500% cooler than dying of too many Big Macs
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's all fun and games until a kaiju stomps that shit flat.

They have Big Macs in Japan…
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 12:04:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Bet, we'll have weekly sushi and sake nights with JLP3
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/19/2024 12:05:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

They have Big Macs in Japan
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's all fun and games until a kaiju stomps that shit flat.

They have Big Macs in Japan

obviously.

you don't Godzilla's fupa eating yakisoba and sushi
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 12:05:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

the don't have vermin living amongst them, yet.

I gotta pack.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/19/2024 12:07:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Japanese people don't typically buy and move into used housing.  As noted earlier, the construction of houses is poor versus EU and US in general.  It is customary to buy a home and then have it torn down and rebuilt.  Japanese would not move into a previously occupied home.  The homes are poorly insulated, the walls are much thinner.

If you buy a home that is used, you are looked at as a poor.  You have now a home that won't last and also carries with it any bad mojo from the previous owner.  Most Japanese also carry insurance on the entire home, including repairs of relatively small items.  You can't get the same coverage for a used home.
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 12:10:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Japanese people don't typically buy and move into used housing.  As noted earlier, the construction of houses is poor versus EU and US in general.  It is customary to buy a home and then have it torn down and rebuilt.  Japanese would not move into a previously occupied home. The homes are poorly insulated, the walls are much thinner.

If you buy a home that is used, you are looked at as a poor.  You have now a home that won't last and also carries with it any bad mojo from the previous owner. Most Japanese also carry insurance on the entire home, including repairs of relatively small items.  You can't get the same coverage for a used home.
View Quote

so just like buying a trailer in montucky, then?
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 12:11:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Tokyo still fond of wood structures I see.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/19/2024 12:14:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
The cities are.   The rural areas are being abandoned. If they had more friendly gun laws it would be ideal opportunity .
View Quote
Immigration laws are a bigger hurdle than gun laws. It's not easy to get residency there, and the Japs are getting fed up with the small amount that have, especially the kurds. It would suck to move there, only to get thrown out in a year due to uppity middle easterners causing backlash against all immigrants.
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 12:17:40 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Japanese people don't typically buy and move into used housing.  As noted earlier, the construction of houses is poor versus EU and US in general.  It is customary to buy a home and then have it torn down and rebuilt.  Japanese would not move into a previously occupied home. The homes are poorly insulated, the walls are much thinner.

If you buy a home that is used, you are looked at as a poor.  You have now a home that won't last and also carries with it any bad mojo from the previous owner. Most Japanese also carry insurance on the entire home, including repairs of relatively small items.  You can't get the same coverage for a used home.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/19/2024 12:30:41 PM EDT
[#29]
NHK has a Japanology Plus  episode about vacant homes.
Seems part of the problem is people only want to buy new but it's not possible to demolish and build new because of new zoning laws.
Because of that the empty shit shack and lot are pretty much worthless.
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 12:31:55 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

yes it is primarily pre-fabricated type --  designed to last 25-30-ish years.  many articles online discuss this 'disposable housing' phenomenon.

of course you have the value of the land.  but your typical home in japan is not built to last 75+ years like here in the USA
View Quote

The land has the value.

Old homes are uninsulated post and beam with the walls being sticks woven into lathe between beams and filled in with mud. Earthquake cycles fuck them up over time from some of the videos I have watched. The elements also seem particularly hard on them.

Then again my house in Ohio is probably worse.

Link Posted: 2/19/2024 12:36:07 PM EDT
[#31]
Attachment Attached File

How do you say, “oh yeah!”  Koolaide man in Japanese?

‘Cuz that’s what’s happening in that doorway.  

Attachment Attached File

When the Montuckyans invade Japan:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 12:38:15 PM EDT
[#32]
If they didn’t have shit gun laws and weren’t going to be occupied by China in 20 years,  I think I’d enjoy Japan.
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 12:42:38 PM EDT
[#33]
Imagine living in a rural area, and every year there are less people around you.  

Link Posted: 2/19/2024 12:45:18 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Imagine living in a rural area, and every year there are less people around you.  

View Quote
perfect.
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 12:49:59 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

Have you seen the quality of new American family homes?
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 12:51:12 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

If I was single and thirty years younger, I’d Fo hard.  I’d be making a lot of kids good at math.
View Quote

No shit, hot little Japanese spinners
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 12:55:08 PM EDT
[#37]
BRB, moving to Japan.
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 1:12:54 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
When Jaya Thursfield found a house he wanted to buy in Japan a few years ago, friends and family told him to forget it. The place wasn't worth the trouble, they said. After all, it stood in a forest of shoulder-high weeds after being abandoned about seven years earlier   one of the millions of vacant houses known as akiya, Japanese for "empty house"   throughout the country.

But Mr. Thursfield, 46, an Australian software developer, wasn't deterred. Through the overgrown garden, he could see it was special: The black roof tiles cascaded down to slightly curving eaves that were much higher off the ground than those of most houses. The entrance hall had its own gabled tile roof. If the 2,700-square-foot house looked more like a Buddhist temple than a farmhouse, it's because it had been built by a temple architect in 1989.

Mr. Thursfield and his Japanese-born wife, Chihiro, had moved to Japan from London in 2017 with their two young sons and a dream of buying a home with a big yard. The plan was to purchase a vacant lot and build a house on it, but land is expensive in Japan and their budget wouldn't allow it. So they turned to the growing supply of abandoned houses, which are cheaper and often come with more land.

https://static01.nyt.com/images/2023/04/22/multimedia/05JAPANHOUSES-1-ckgf/05JAPANHOUSES-1-ckgf-superJumbo.jpg?quality=75&auto=webp

moar
View Quote

Is that Parker Schnabel?
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 1:15:35 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

If I was single and thirty years younger, I’d Fo hard.  I’d be making a lot of kids good at math.
View Quote

Can't argue with this
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 1:20:11 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Have you seen the quality of new American family homes?
View Quote

Yes.

Some settling cracks in drywall and shitty window frames and trim don't compare to what I've seen friends send me of their (fairly new) apartments in Tokyo. And insulation seems to be a dirty word there.
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 1:46:58 PM EDT
[#41]
That would be interesting to own a home in Japan
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 1:52:38 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Are these homes posted on Zirro.com?
View Quote

You win the internet today !
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 1:54:07 PM EDT
[#43]
At $25K per………….we would do well to send every welfare leach over there and buy them a house.
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 1:56:52 PM EDT
[#44]
BIL bought a new construction home a few years ago in a beach community, I never asked him what he paid for it though. He's really happy to be over there for good, not sure he'll ever return home. At some point we'll take the family over to visit.
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 2:03:06 PM EDT
[#45]

I followed his progress on YouTube for like a year.
He did a lot of work, but kept things more or less traditional. House looks nice, but the design is about impossible to keep heated and cooled.
I often wondered what that guy does for a living, or if he just mooches off of the wife.
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 2:14:43 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Japanese people don't typically buy and move into used housing.  As noted earlier, the construction of houses is poor versus EU and US in general.  It is customary to buy a home and then have it torn down and rebuilt.  Japanese would not move into a previously occupied home.  The homes are poorly insulated, the walls are much thinner.

If you buy a home that is used, you are looked at as a poor.  You have now a home that won't last and also carries with it any bad mojo from the previous owner.  Most Japanese also carry insurance on the entire home, including repairs of relatively small items.  You can't get the same coverage for a used home.
View Quote

You mean compared to the us in its current situation? There was a house a couple of blocks from where I live that went up for sale for 275k. This house has absolutely no yard at all and its on a small lot hence the no yard. It sold within days like 3 years ago. It has a tarp over the roof cause it needs a new roof. A lot of these flipper houses are shit and are expensive.
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 2:43:18 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I thought Japan was overcrowded and shoehorning people into apartments the size of coffins.

View Quote

I guess the cities are where the jobs are.
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 3:07:22 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 3:08:04 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 3:22:01 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
NHK has a Japanology Plus  episode about vacant homes.
Seems part of the problem is people only want to buy new but it's not possible to demolish and build new because of new zoning laws.
Because of that the empty shit shack and lot are pretty much worthless.
View Quote

Is it possible to renovate them by replacing a wall at a time? Basically tear it down as you rebuild it so it doesn't look like it's being torn down.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top