lawn darts and VCR
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 7:58:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote
I’ll agree with you on car talk. I miss the days of npr not being about Trump
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 7:59:47 AM EDT
[#3]
The Experience of going to the Dump/Landfill. Single blade Walk behind Lawnmowers wider than 21”. BYOB outdoor concerts. Service Merchandise. Guns sold at Hardware and Department Stores. Banging hot Teacher without it being in the News.
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 8:12:33 AM EDT
[#4]
kids playing outside until the street lights are on
kids playing
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 8:17:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
lawn darts and VCR
View Quote
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U36ZDL2ZEmw
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 8:25:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Hersheys chocalate milk mix, the powdered stuff, not the syrup
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 8:26:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Common Sense
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 8:31:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Name Something You Grew Up With That Is Gone and Not Coming Back

My uterus.  That damn thing was a constant source of worry and aggravation.  I was never so happy to be rid of anything else as I was that.
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 8:32:48 AM EDT
[#9]
View Quote
Maybe in the US, but still used in Cambodia

Link Posted: 6/25/2019 8:34:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Just in case it hasn't been mentioned yet...

Link Posted: 6/25/2019 8:34:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/33050/s-l640_jpg-991935.JPG

Thank you zima for all you did for me as a 16 year old.
View Quote
I actually have a six pack of these. They stopped making them in 2008. I’ve been tempted to try one.
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 8:35:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The Experience of going to the Dump/Landfill. Single blade Walk behind Lawnmowers wider than 21”. BYOB outdoor concerts. Service Merchandise. Guns sold at Hardware and Department Stores. Banging hot Teacher without it being in the News.
View Quote
I go to the dump every other week or so. It's still a thing.
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 8:38:33 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The Experience of going to the Dump/Landfill. Single blade Walk behind Lawnmowers wider than 21". BYOB outdoor concerts. Service Merchandise. Guns sold at Hardware and Department Stores. Banging hot Teacher without it being in the News.
View Quote
The dump is very much still a thing.
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 8:40:04 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 8:43:16 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 8:48:17 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
The Experience of going to the Dump/Landfill.
View Quote
I go to the dump a couple or three times a week.  The county dump and Walmart are the two most frequented social venues in my rural SE VA county.
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 8:54:01 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 8:59:06 AM EDT
[#18]
When "Central" asked, "Number, please?".

Radio dials with the triangle-in-circle CONELRAD icons at 640 and 1240 KHz.
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 9:04:39 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Real Coke in a 16 oz bottle.
View Quote
Remember that for years, Coke only came in 6 oz bottles.
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 9:07:03 AM EDT
[#20]
Lawn Darts (w/metal tips)
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 9:09:07 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Remember that for years, Coke only came in 6 oz bottles.
View Quote
And Pepsi made it an advetising point.

Live TV commerecials
Classic Timex Motorboat Commercial

IIRC, they also did one where they couldn't get the motor to start.
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 9:09:12 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I actually have a six pack of these. They stopped making them in 2008. I’ve been tempted to try one.
View Quote
The still distribute them in Japan, and apparently they brought them back in 2017 for a limited run in the US.  I only remember trying that once, ...and once was enough.   I seem to remember it tasting a lot like a Sprite malt liquer.  I remember girls drinking them.
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 9:10:56 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 9:17:40 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
This. Children are tied to their parents with a tether from their asshole these days. Parents at work literally need an hourly update from their children ago they know where they are and that they are alive.
View Quote
There didn't used to be the huge number of pedophiles and other degenerates roaming the streets like there are now. I don't blame folks for keeping tabs on their kids.
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 9:21:43 AM EDT
[#25]
What do I remember?

Road Runner and Wile Coyote Cartoons, with acknowledgements to Acme Safe Co, Acme Anvil Co, Acme Dynamite Co, Acme Big Heavy Stuff Co.

15 cent hamburgers at McDonalds, 18 cent cheeseburgers.

15 cent a gallon gas, pumped by a station attendant who cleaned your windshield.

Being able to mail order rifles from ads in the back of magazines.

My high school had a shooting range in the basement for the rifle team.

Clipping baseball cards to your bicycle fender so that the spokes brushed against them, making a "motorcycle" sound.

Kids sports teams actually had "try outs". If you weren't good enough, you weren't on the team. No trophy for being a bum.

Athletic shoes were black or white, hi cut or low, Converse or Keds. That's all.

Buying a Funk and Wagnalls Encyclopedia at Krogers, one book a week.

Oldsmobile Cutlass 442 - 4 barrel carb, 4 speed stick shift, dual exhaust and 400 cubic inch V8. What an ass kicker. (I grew up in Lansing, so we made them there and had lots of them on the streets)

There was only enough talent in Hollywood for three TV networks.  Which is still true today.

"we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and success of liberty."  President John F. Kennedy. Can you imagine any democrat saying this today?

and finally,

A civilized society.
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 9:21:55 AM EDT
[#26]
Common sense...
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 9:24:35 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
This. Children are tied to their parents with a tether from their asshole these days. Parents at work literally need an hourly update from their children ago they know where they are and that they are alive.
View Quote
You'll really lose your shit when I tell you that there was a time when momma raised her own kids at home and didn't send them to daycare to be raised by somebody else.  Some still do.
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 9:24:50 AM EDT
[#28]
Gunrights and freedom in NJ
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 9:25:08 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

And Pepsi made it an advetising point.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PU1qeKGVmo

Live TV commerecials
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NHq3Yze6s0
IIRC, they also did one where they couldn't get the motor to start.
View Quote
Today we have at least a half dozen channels that are nothing but live commercials.  The two biggest are HSN and QVC.  But you can find channels that sell coins, others that sell jewelry, and still others that sell knives, swords, and various junk items ....all live.
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 9:27:22 AM EDT
[#30]
Pretty much everything everyone else has posted, but for me I miss real Coca-Cola in the 6 ounce thick green bottles taken from one of those short little machines where you dropped a nickle (or dime) into turned the handle and pulled out an ice cold Coca-Cola.

PS I'll argue with anyone until the end of time that the taste of Coke out of those bottles tastes totally different than it does today new Coke notwithstanding.
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 9:28:38 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

The still distribute them in Japan, and apparently they brought them back in 2017 for a limited run in the US.  I only remember trying that once, ...and once was enough.   I seem to remember it tasting a lot like a Sprite malt liquer.  I remember girls drinking them.
View Quote
I want to say mine are dated 2001. When I go back to my place in GA I’ll start a thread and do a taste test. They probably age like a cheap milk.
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 9:29:28 AM EDT
[#32]
Pic heavy...some of this stuff might be around, but it's worth posting anyway...

Link Posted: 6/25/2019 9:30:40 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
There didn't used to be the huge number of pedophiles and other degenerates roaming the streets like there are now. I don't blame folks for keeping tabs on their kids.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sure there was. You just didn’t hear about them 24/7.
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 9:31:10 AM EDT
[#34]
Freedom.

That and cutting wood for my parents buck stove each fall.

I thought it was a pain in the ass but I really enjoyed it.

TC
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 9:32:15 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote
I'm not so sure.  I think we just didn't hear about it as much as we do today.  Sort of like the way people erroneously believe the "Good old Days" were less violent and dangerous simply because they didn't have 24/7/365 news channels and feeds, reporting on it.

When our news was maybe the daily paper, and an hour in the evening, the daily dose of negative news was more manageable.
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 9:32:23 AM EDT
[#36]
Privacy
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 10:10:17 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
http://cbsrmt.thelongtrek.com/cbsrmt.jpg

That was some good stuff
View Quote
I'm your host E.G. Marshall

Loved that show.
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 10:14:55 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote
Sure there were. That's weapons grade naivete to think that somehow a generation corked up sexual weirdness and inappropriate feelings towards children, and few acted out on it. All that's ever changed is how widespread those acts are reported - thus - the 24/7 news and constant media generation started seeing pedos on every corner.

Parents are raising imbeciles because of irrational fears. That's a fact.

See Jonathan Haigt's excellent work on this, including the data on dangers to children.
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 10:17:36 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

You'll really lose your shit when I tell you that there was a time when momma raised her own kids at home and didn't send them to daycare to be raised by somebody else.  Some still do.
View Quote
You'll lose your shit when I tell you wages stagnated, the cost of living rose and few people can afford it nowadays. Even tho some still do. Look at the CPI for families in the 1970's verses now, verses wages.

(BTW, my wife stayed home and raised our daughter, but we suffered for it and few of our peers followed suit...and they were better off for it financially. I still have mixed feelings about how wise it was)
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 10:18:51 AM EDT
[#40]
Common sense
Courtesy
Humans interacting with each other
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 10:20:28 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Pretty much everything everyone else has posted, but for me I miss real Coca-Cola in the 6 ounce thick green bottles taken from one of those short little machines where you dropped a nickle (or dime) into turned the handle and pulled out an ice cold Coca-Cola.

PS I'll argue with anyone until the end of time that the taste of Coke out of those bottles tastes totally different than it does today new Coke notwithstanding.
View Quote
And they had the city of the bottler molded into the bottom. We "travelled" with them, betting on who had the bottle from the city that was fartherest away.
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 10:21:10 AM EDT
[#42]
View Quote
We used to take those pull tabs wrap a piece of electricians tape around them (2 inches in length) stick them in the coin boxes at car washes and get a free car wash
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 11:08:45 AM EDT
[#43]
Good news for some of you.

The Marathon bar is a Curly Wurly

Planters Cheez Balls are back!

As far as arcades, we have one in walking distance from work...it's a bar with all the games on free play. Vast improvement
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 11:20:51 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

As far as arcades, we have one in walking distance from work...it's a bar with all the games on free play. Vast improvement
View Quote
That's a good point. So much of what's mentioned in this thread really is still around, even revered, and isn't going anywhere. It's just become a thing of nostalgia instead of a "on every corner" thing.

You can still buy classic cereals, metal lawn darts, classic cars, whatever - it's just boutique now.

I think some people are missing the point of the thread. Some things really ARE gone forever. Stuff from your childhood mostly is still around, if you have money or are serious about owning that stuff again or doing what you used to do.
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 11:45:04 AM EDT
[#45]
How about:  Being able to work on your own vehicle without having to plug in a computer that costs more than the part you need?
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 11:55:55 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
There always has been. It just wasn't nationwide news. Most news was local or regional before the advent of the 24 hour news cycle. Additionally, most creeps were socially known by the local communities and kids were told to stay away.
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 12:02:58 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
The Experience of going to the Dump/Landfill.
View Quote
I went to the dump yesterday.  Took my Dad's 20 year old grill, and 4 car batteries.

We go about every two months.
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 12:11:41 PM EDT
[#48]
Quail that weren't raised in pens.
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 12:15:54 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 12:16:08 PM EDT
[#50]
Inkwells on my desk at school.

Getting rid of the family horse and buggy for one of them horseless carriage.
Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top