Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 8/12/2019 9:41:17 PM EDT
[#1]
They have these things called helicopters and airplanes that fly at night.
Link Posted: 8/12/2019 9:51:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Hill?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Until you go over a hill and assend the driver going the speed limit.
Hill?
Ya, Nebraska has a lot of them. Maybe not tall mountains, but enough that you can't see far enough to drive 150+ on most roads there. Plenty of State Highway's in the state that between terrain and animals I would be reluctant to go 100+, let alone 150+
Link Posted: 8/12/2019 9:57:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Ya, Nebraska has a lot of them. Maybe not tall mountains, but enough that you can't see far enough to drive 150+ on most roads there. Plenty of State Highway's in the state that between terrain and animals I would be reluctant to go 100+, let alone 150+
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hill?
Not on I-80 in central Nebraska.

ETA- I'd feel pretty safe at 200 mph on that stretch if traffic is light enough.  There is no wildlife other than an occasional pheasant.
Link Posted: 8/12/2019 10:07:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

ETA- I'd feel pretty safe at 200 mph on that stretch if traffic is light enough.  There is no wildlife other than an occasional pheasant.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hill?

A lot of deer in the area, I've driven the area in question countless times, seen plenty of live and dead deer.
Link Posted: 8/12/2019 10:09:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

For all that extra airflow, engine's still running a tad warm!
View Quote
Pushing 13 psi of boost on the stock motor.
Oversized Radiator and Steeda Race hood to keep it cool.
Missing the lower valance cover under the radiator.

I’m also running a Meziere electric water pump.
It gives better cooling at low speeds and at idle over an engine driven water pump but less than a stock one at high rpm.
The only advantage is that if I lose a blower belt I can get off the highway so that I’m not working on the car with cars flying by me.
Link Posted: 8/12/2019 10:24:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

185 is getting shit done!  Serious question- what would Mounties (or whatever) do to you in Canuckada for that?
View Quote
A guy got pulled over this week for doing 228 kph (141 mph) and lost his car for a week, lost his license for a week and may face a fine up to $10,000.

In Quebec that would be a 30 demerit point ticket.
You lose your license for 15 demerit points.
Then he will most likely lose enough points where he may lose his licence for 3 months and then another 6 months assuming he has a clean record to start with. He will probably have to go pass his driving test again also.

On top of that in Quebec if you get a ticket which, on a highway is more than 60 kph (37 mph) over the limit, it is considered excessive speeding which has a 10-30 point penalty. If you get a second excessive speeding within 10 years it’s a 1 year suspension.

I did that speed in a state where they have no reciprocity with my home province and the statue of limitations has run out yet I will not mention the state.
I did however get a ticket in a neighboring state for 92 mph and it was only $200.00.
Link Posted: 8/12/2019 10:31:01 PM EDT
[#7]
I have an uncle who retired from the Nebraska State Patrol.

I remember him telling me about a car that they had just added to their "fleet" (or whatever it was called) which, as I understood it at the time, was essentially the equivalent of something that could compete in the fastest NASCAR events. The primary purpose of that vehicle was to be able to engage in high speed pursuits. Basically, that was its whole reason for being.

This was in the 80's.
Link Posted: 8/12/2019 10:39:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Someone needs to FOIA the dash cam footage.
Link Posted: 8/12/2019 10:42:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
As I understand it the state patrol here pretty much never gives up a chase.

There have been many over the years when the city or county people stopped chase but the patrol kept right on going

Patrol will also chase bikes which most of the cities and countys will not
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've got mixed feelings on a police chase that goes 150+ mph when the only known reason the cops are chasing is for traffic.
Every once in a while, less over the top chases do things like kill an innocent family of six that has the misfortune of occupying the same road system as the chase.
Yup.  As I read the article, the cops were chasing him simply because he was running.
There's a balancing act, some cars need chased to the ends of the earth, but if the only knowledge at hand is speed the danger to the public at large isn't worth the chase.

There have been many over the years when the city or county people stopped chase but the patrol kept right on going

The flip side of that is the CPD gave up on a drive by shooter this past weekend.  

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/breaking/ct-river-north-shooting-20190810-3srumkeibfc4lmpxgrkotmwgsu-story.html
Link Posted: 8/12/2019 10:45:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I've got mixed feelings on a police chase that goes 150+ mph when the only known reason the cops are chasing is for traffic.
View Quote
Disagree.

The individual is committing felony evading in front of you. Its our job to stop felonious activity.
Link Posted: 8/12/2019 10:53:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Disagree.

The individual is committing felony evading in front of you. Its our job to stop felonious activity.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Disagree.

Attempt to stop the felonious act by putting many more people in danger than by doing nothing. Seems pretty fucking stupid to me.
Link Posted: 8/12/2019 10:56:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/12/2019 10:57:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hill?

Light traffic on I80, so never?
Link Posted: 8/12/2019 10:57:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
When the head of the NSP is encouraging you to change your narrative, it doesn't excuse his actions, but it does paint them in a different light.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Has a 3rd party ever been seriously injured while they were chasing a car at Mach speed with the only known offense traffic?
If so and they still do it, that's balls.
They killed a guy and tried to cover up using a pitt

The trooper that did it got his job back , but the governor cleaned house of his superiors that told him to lie

https://www.omaha.com/news/nebraska/nebraska-trooper-who-was-involved-in-fatal-high-speed-chase/article_b4ba8c7d-3d3a-5685-a2b2-938af9ec2382.html
If the pitt manuver is authorized it was insane to lie about it.
Insane to lie about anything actually.
When the head of the NSP is encouraging you to change your narrative, it doesn't excuse his actions, but it does paint them in a different light.
Yeah the NSP tarnished their rep a bit the last few years , but hey at least they didn't ignore a rapist on the payroll like Lincoln PD
Link Posted: 8/12/2019 10:58:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Attempt to stop the felonious act by putting many more people in danger than by doing nothing. Seems pretty fucking stupid to me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Disagree.

We don't, the fleeing suspect does. We call it off when the traffic or roadway becomes a threat to us and the public.

Speed itself isn't a reason to terminate a pursuit. The totality of the situation needs to be assessed.
Link Posted: 8/12/2019 10:58:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
Your priorities are off.

He said his job is to make you pick up that can stop felonies, not to serve and protect.
Link Posted: 8/13/2019 6:57:00 AM EDT
[#17]
I know my LFP 800 Mustang can outrun any police unit in the area, but I can't outrun their radio so I behave. A felony for driving too fast is a stupid way to go out. Maybe once guns are illegal and everyone is a criminal, I'll give it a try.
Link Posted: 8/13/2019 6:57:36 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Disagree.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Disagree.

It's also your job to consider the safety of the public at large. If you try to stop a guy for a burnt out taillight and you end up killing a family of four going 120 mph because you had to catch the bad guy you're not going to be praised.
Link Posted: 8/13/2019 6:59:24 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Check your sarcasm meter.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fpdnni.

2nd post sucks too.
Check your sarcasm meter.
I did.

That is still my reply!  
Link Posted: 8/13/2019 7:00:12 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Plenty of places to go that fast safely in NE, TX and other states
View Quote
Bum fuck ND...  
Link Posted: 8/13/2019 7:01:47 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Don't go over a hill at 140+

I may or may not have run 130+ for 60 miles at a time,  and 170+ for 20 at a time.

Link Posted: 8/13/2019 7:02:04 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
My GT will do 155 mph in 4th.
Mine will do a theoretical 210 mph in 5th.
The fastest I’ve had mine was 185 mph GPS verified.

https://i.postimg.cc/3w0TSndc/D6-EE567-B-87-C3-4336-AFA2-AC5-A43-BE1-A66.jpg
View Quote
Are your tires Z rated?

Do you realize you can drive perfectly, but at 185, a tire letting go would have certainly killed you?
Link Posted: 8/13/2019 7:07:05 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

It gives better cooling at low speeds and at idle over an engine driven water pump but less than a stock one at high rpm.
The only advantage is that if I lose a blower belt I can get off the highway so that I’m not working on the car with cars flying by me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

For all that extra airflow, engine's still running a tad warm!

I have been contemplating yanking the 5.0 stroker out of my shitbox and replacing it with a Coyote in a single turbo,  or twin flavor.  

I have seen 174 GPS verified with the current drive line in it before I chickened out and backed off.  It was surprisingly well behaved,  but I had questions in my mind about my 5 year old tires at that speed.  
Link Posted: 8/13/2019 7:21:43 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Mustang GTs and IROC Camaros went 145-150 in 1986, with substantially less power than a 2.3L Mustang makes today.
View Quote
I routinely did 150 in a 1989 Mustang GT.....loooooooooong tiiiiiiiimmmmmme ago
Link Posted: 8/13/2019 7:32:34 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Ban the cars
View Quote
No we need the cars, no needs more than 55 HP!
Link Posted: 8/13/2019 7:43:02 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Are your tires Z rated?

Do you realize you can drive perfectly, but at 185, a tire letting go would have certainly killed you?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My GT will do 155 mph in 4th.
Mine will do a theoretical 210 mph in 5th.
The fastest I’ve had mine was 185 mph GPS verified.

https://i.postimg.cc/3w0TSndc/D6-EE567-B-87-C3-4336-AFA2-AC5-A43-BE1-A66.jpg
Are your tires Z rated?

Michelin Pilot Super Sport. 295/35ZR20 (105Y)
Z rating only means 149+ mph.
The 105Y load rating gives the tire a load rating of 2,039 lbs per tire and a Y speed rating which is 186 mph.
Today I’m replacing them with Michelin Pilot Sport 4S.

They will be heat cycled 3 times before any high speed shenanigans.
Link Posted: 8/13/2019 7:46:38 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I have been contemplating yanking the 5.0 stroker out of my shitbox and replacing it with a Coyote in a single turbo,  or twin flavor.  

I have seen 174 GPS verified with the current drive line in it before I chickened out and backed off.  It was surprisingly well behaved,  but I had questions in my mind about my 5 year old tires at that speed.  
View Quote
I’m currently building a 5.0L stroker 4.6L 3v based.

Link Posted: 8/13/2019 8:14:51 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote
Should front line employees be fired for following the CEO's orders?

No.

Should a fellow continue to be a LEO after lying to a grand jury?

No.

So, what should they do with Flick?
I say give him a desk job where he can supervise  other troopers and teach them not to be lying dicks.

I am heartened to see that a LOT of people in the chain of command above Flick were fired or forced to resign.
This obviously didn't happen in Michigan.

ETA: I just have to leave this picture here.
Link Posted: 8/13/2019 8:17:25 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote
That's every state's State Patrol

FHP loves to chase people for traffic violations and even ram them, occasionally. I've seen them do 120 running 10-18 down the interstate to get to a traffic crash. LOL.
Link Posted: 8/13/2019 8:23:44 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

[scratches Nebraska off road trip list]
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/13/2019 8:23:56 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I have an uncle who retired from the Nebraska State Patrol.

I remember him telling me about a car that they had just added to their "fleet" (or whatever it was called) which, as I understood it at the time, was essentially the equivalent of something that could compete in the fastest NASCAR events. The primary purpose of that vehicle was to be able to engage in high speed pursuits. Basically, that was its whole reason for being.

This was in the 80's.
View Quote
NSP used to run some Mustangs back in the 80's and 90's. My grandfather was a state legislator at the time and got to ride with them.
Link Posted: 8/13/2019 8:26:18 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Mustang GTs and IROC Camaros went 145-150 in 1986, with substantially less power than a 2.3L Mustang makes today.
View Quote
My 94 Z28 would do 150 pretty easy.
Link Posted: 8/13/2019 9:03:02 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

No.

No.

I say give him a desk job where he can supervise  other troopers and teach them not to be lying dicks.

I am heartened to see that a LOT of people in the chain of command above Flick were fired or forced to resign.

https://www.xdtalk.com/attachments/5381faaa08764-jpg.687435/
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No.

No.

https://www.xdtalk.com/attachments/5381faaa08764-jpg.687435/
Flick actually won his reinstatement to the NSP, and is employeed in a non sworn role.
Link Posted: 8/13/2019 9:16:12 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Flick actually won his reinstatement to the NSP, and is employeed in a non sworn role.
View Quote
I knew he sued and overturned his firing, didn't realize it wasn't as a sworn officer.
Seems like a good outcome all around.
The only one killed was the driver who asked for it, passengers survived with minor injuries.
Head of NSP fired by governor.
Cop who committed perjury under pressure no longer a sworn officer.
Link Posted: 8/13/2019 9:28:11 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I knew he sued and overturned his firing, didn't realize it wasn't as a sworn officer.
The only one killed was the driver who asked for it, passengers survived with minor injuries.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He also won all the criminal cases, no jury in Sheridan County was going to convict Flick in this case.

So ya, I'd agree it turned out well enough.
Link Posted: 8/13/2019 9:30:42 AM EDT
[#36]
Sounds like the guy was just going a little fast...

At least he was on pavement.

The car in my avatar has done 140+ in the dirt
Link Posted: 8/13/2019 9:37:00 AM EDT
[#37]
You would think that if your carrying a large amount of illegal herbal product that you would not go around and attract the attention of the POLICE'
Link Posted: 8/13/2019 9:37:59 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
There is no wildlife other than an occasional pheasant.
View Quote
You are wrong.

But tell me I'm wrong even though I live about three miles off the interstate and commute 70 miles each way on it.

Deer, coyotes (maybe large dogs?), turkeys, and raccoons are all common.  Way more common than pheasant.
Link Posted: 8/13/2019 9:43:17 AM EDT
[#39]
Because when you are hauling "one pound of marijuana and controlled pills", 100+mph is the answer.
Link Posted: 8/13/2019 9:47:44 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hills?
Link Posted: 8/13/2019 9:49:35 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote
This. Officers and innocents get killed in these sorts of chases. I remember growing up in NC my mom and her husband were coming back from somewhere at night and had a high speed chase go by them. They said the police were on the guy’s ass. Down the road he blows through a red light and kills multiple people in a minivan.

ETA: afterwards, the police claimed to be much further behind than they actually were. That’s why I brought it up. I routinely go over 250 in cruise with power pulled back. Fastest I’ve gone is 345.
Link Posted: 8/13/2019 9:50:46 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Wrong
View Quote
I can’t vouch for the fox body Mustang Top speed but I can tell you for 100% the IROC with a 5.7 would do 150.  So will every single Z 28 from 1993 to 97. Every 98 to 2002 Z28 or SS will go north of 160.  Illinois highway patrol got there 2002 Z 28 up to 168 and it was still climbing.
Link Posted: 8/13/2019 12:03:07 PM EDT
[#43]
I can 89GT

I sold my 2015 GT Premium too old for that now.
Link Posted: 8/13/2019 2:42:58 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

ETA: afterwards, the police claimed to be much further behind than they actually were. That’s why I brought it up. I routinely go over 250 in cruise with power pulled back. Fastest I’ve gone is 345.
View Quote
We talking metric here?
Link Posted: 8/13/2019 4:48:48 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
We talking metric here?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We talking metric here?
More like aircraft.
Link Posted: 8/13/2019 5:30:07 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
You are wrong.

But tell me I'm wrong even though I live about three miles off the interstate and commute 70 miles each way on it.

Deer, coyotes (maybe large dogs?), turkeys, and raccoons are all common.  Way more common than pheasant.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You are wrong.

+1 I see maybe 2 pheasant a year , see a deer almost every day , raccoons turkey and coyote weekly
Link Posted: 8/14/2019 2:07:32 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
+1 I see maybe 2 pheasant a year , see a deer almost every day , raccoons turkey and coyote weekly
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
You are wrong.

The deer on the south side of 80 between Grand Island and North Platte almost outnumber the cows.
Link Posted: 8/14/2019 2:10:14 PM EDT
[#48]
So normal highway speeds on I-80.  
Link Posted: 8/14/2019 2:23:17 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

The deer on the south side of 80 between Grand Island and North Platte almost outnumber the cows.
View Quote
hesrightyouknow.jpg
Link Posted: 8/14/2019 2:54:00 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
You would think that if your carrying a large amount of illegal herbal product that you would not go around and attract the attention of the POLICE'
View Quote
I hear about it all the time on that part of I-80, broken tail lights, speeding etc.

Sean Penn's son was smoking the weed while driving
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top