Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 10
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 10:46:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I mean the 320 does fire the longer rounds...but so did the side loading 203 type launcher that was offered.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Whoever thinks that replacing the 203 with the 320 was a good idea, for either branch, is fucking retarded.
I mean the 320 does fire the longer rounds...but so did the side loading 203 type launcher that was offered.
I've done a fair amount of shit in a few types of units with vastly different funding and I've never seen a round I wanted to use that didn't fit in a 203.

You know what I have seen? I've seen that the 320, while ok in stand alone configuration, when mounted to an m4 renders both the rifle and the grenade launcher all but unusable.
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 10:47:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
The M27 is a waste of money. HK really must have good lobbyists to get the USMC and France to adopt an overpriced piston AR.

And the USMC went full dildos taking beltfeds out of the squad entirely
View Quote
I sorta feel the same.

I guess it's that a full squad of fully-automatic weapons is deemed a better force than semi-auto support for belt-fed gunners.
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 10:50:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Somebody @ that gunner.
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 10:55:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I've done a fair amount of shit in a few types of units with vastly different funding and I've never seen a round I wanted to use that didn't fit in a 203.

You know what I have seen? I've seen that the 320, while ok in stand alone configuration, when mounted to an m4 renders both the rifle and the grenade launcher all but unusable.
View Quote
What about a Mk18 and a stand-alone modernized M79-type launcher?  Break-open like the old bloop tube, but use modern materials (read: polymers) to keep weight down, and add a dedicated optic and automatic ejection.

Best of both worlds, optimizing both weapons, or a step in the wrong direction?
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 10:56:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

What about a Mk18 and a stand-alone modernized M79-type launcher?  Break-open like the old bloop tube, but use modern materials (read: polymers) to keep weight down, and add a dedicated optic.

View Quote
I'd rather have this:

Link Posted: 5/15/2018 10:58:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Lol, so you just skipped the entire thread?

You must have if you think the only valid complaint is the scope.
View Quote
I question the methodology behind reliability testing data.

This platform is a known entity to us.  Had to be the ammo, the cans, or the idiot who decided on putting those (particular) two together with the 416.
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 10:59:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
we will never fight in jungle or forests again.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

All that will be great when we fire up the time machine and go to Helmand 10 years ago!
Yup. This is all great planning for the future. We will never ever fight in urban, jungle and forests again. It will all be wide open expanses.

OR we should just got full Steinhab and scrap ALL near peer weapons procurement and always plan for fighting against people who haven't invented the wheel yet. Nevermind that it's far easier to transition from procuring and training to fight a powerful high tech military to fighting a low tech one with those things vs producuring and training to fight cavemen and then finding you have to deal with a near peer enemy....
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 11:02:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I'd rather have this:

https://i.redd.it/i6xegpwl70i01.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What about a Mk18 and a stand-alone modernized M79-type launcher?  Break-open like the old bloop tube, but use modern materials (read: polymers) to keep weight down, and add a dedicated optic.

I'd rather have this:

There are stand alone mounts for the 203, as well. The form factor for them is much, much better than the 320.
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 11:29:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
My engineering education, USMC tests, and I have shot a 416D yes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You say this based upon your direct experience with the M27 or outside opinion/conjecture?
My engineering education, USMC tests, and I have shot a 416D yes.
The 416D is the 10 inch and is not a M27.  All that other stuff is cool but unless you're a current 03XX Marine who regularly handles an M27 then it's opinion and conjecture.
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 11:32:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Whoever thinks that replacing the 203 with the 320 was a good idea, for either branch, is fucking retarded.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And the M320 40mm grenade launcher used by the grenadier is made by Heckler und Koch as well.  They make good stuff.
How many rounds have you fired with a 320?  Time with one?  Exercises?
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 11:37:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Is this the appropriate thread to tell everyone get got some M38 in the other day... took some out to the range and tinkered with them. Only shot A059 so no feedback on bolt over brass with genm3 mags. Lots of fun to shoot, pretty quiet too... reminded me how much of a PITA MOA/MIL conversion is.
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 11:47:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Combat systems operator is where you put the newly minted female infantry Marine. She won't be able to pull her own weight in a Firetewm, so putting her under the immediate protection of the Squad Leader is smart, and convenient since he'll be fucking her too.

This new special billet also allows the female Marine to "excell" in the infantry.  4.9/4.9 motherfuckers.
View Quote
Somebody was in the Corps too long.
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 11:49:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Somebody @ that gunner.
View Quote
He retired and don't post here. This whole thing was praised by him fyi.
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 11:51:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I question the methodology behind reliability testing data.

This platform is a known entity to us.  Had to be the ammo, the cans, or the idiot who decided on putting those (particular) two together with the 416.
View Quote
M855A1 is the standard now.

Better get used to what it does to the M27. Same goes for mk262, known standard that the M27 doesn't run well.
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 11:53:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

The 416D is the 10 inch and is not a M27.  All that other stuff is cool but unless you're a current 03XX Marine who regularly handles an M27 then it's opinion and conjecture.
View Quote
What's your take on all the Army/USMC testing coming out showing the M27/38 doesn't meet standards?
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 11:53:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And the M320 40mm grenade launcher used by the grenadier is made by Heckler und Koch as well.  They make good stuff.
Would my answers to any of those questions change anything?
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 12:02:57 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
There are stand alone mounts for the 203, as well. The form factor for them is much, much better than the 320.
View Quote
Preach it, brother.

Truth be told, 40mm HE/HEDP performs terribly in the open as is.

Rifle mounted grenade launchers make doing either task exponentially more difficult. Force me to have a 40mm grenade launching capability for dead space coverage or punching into enclaves, and I'll take a stand alone M203 any day over the M320.

As for the rest, yes, the M249s were terrible, and some folks still have an inability to let go of it emotionally without a true awareness of its performance deficiencies. Folks predicting doom seem to be unaware of the IAR success in battle over the last 10 years, and routinely disregard the existence of combined arms in MCO. The M249 is old news, dead, and unneeded. The answer is to make current capabilities inherent to the M240X family come in a smaller and lighter package. Think the KAC LAMG in poly cased 6.5 CM with a 1-8 optic on top. Issue that to machine gun teams and make them an additional team to be led by the APL (doing additional duties, can't really discuss here) - NOW we're talking.

The M27 has done a fantastic job bringing us out of the stone age and validating the AR methodology/position, especially when firing SOST and M855. It has major downsides as time goes on, but that doesn't make it all bad.

Tired. Hitting the rack.

S/F
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 12:28:16 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
What's your take on all the Army/USMC testing coming out showing the M27/38 doesn't meet standards?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't know, I'm going to trust the people with skin in the game at places like Marine Corps Combat Development Center, Quantico, VA, the Marine Corps Air Ground Combat Center, 29 Palms, CA and where ever else to work the bugs out of the system.  Maybe its a boondoggle, maybe its the best thing since slide bread.  We tweaked the original M-16 for 50 years.  Here's to another 50!
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 12:29:55 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, it would alter your statements to either being opinion/conjecture or anecdotal field evidence.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 12:30:10 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I don't know, I'm going to trust the people with skin in the game at places like Marine Corps Combat Development Center, Quantico, VA, the Marine Corps Air Ground Combat Center, 29 Palms, CA and where ever else to work the bugs out of the system.  Maybe its a boondoggle, maybe its the best thing since slide bread.  We tweaked the original M-16 for 50 years.  Here's to another 50!
View Quote
lol This.  Expecting things to always be 100% perfect is a stupidly unrealistic expectation.  Things will be tested, fielded, and tweaked.  It's reality.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 12:33:12 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I don't get it. We are taking a man from the team, but it's better since they all have full-auto rifles....?

Instead of the M27 replacing a belt fed, its now replacing the M4/M16 as a whole....but since everyone shoots the same mags/caliber, they all just have to carry more ammo?

Now we're adding chicks with iPads to the mix?
View Quote
facebook during a fire fight?
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 12:38:08 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I don't know, I'm going to trust the people with skin in the game at places like Marine Corps Combat Development Center, Quantico, VA, ..... to work the bugs out of the system.  
View Quote
The office you speak of IS THE BUG IN THE SYSTEM. It's literally become a No Colonel Left Behind program. Reference Capt. Josh Waddell's Gazette article "Innovation and Other Things That Brief Well" so get an idea on the scope of the problem.

That place is removed from reality, as evidenced by their patting themselves on the back after fielding the PRC117G radio over a decade behind others, and now attempting to do the same to an 11-year old rifle, using a 15+ year old suppressor and a 10+ year old optic.

You can trust them to maintain the status quo and kill innovative programs that would mean the entrenched GS15s and 14s actually have to do real work.

Its also the only place I've ever seen that somehow LtCols have their leave requests go through a GS15 with no actual legal authority for processing. It is the epicenter of insanity.

The Corps would have an exponential leap in operational efficiency if SECDEF, SECNAV, or CMC were to unleash Seabees on that building with a fleet of bulldozers... and level it to the ground.

S/F
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 12:46:18 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, one thing the M320 CAN do that the 203 could not is fire this bad boy; gentlemen I present to thee the Raytheon 40mm grenade launched guided missile:

Raytheon Pike 40 mm Precision Guided Munition for the First Time at AUSA 2015 Washington DC U.S.

Yes, 5M kill radius, laser-guided, 2 km max effective range from the either the M320 or FNH MK13 grenade launchers.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 12:50:36 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

lol This.  Expecting things to always be 100% perfect is a stupidly unrealistic expectation.  Things will be tested, fielded, and tweaked.  It's reality.
View Quote
The M27 has been fielded for 10 years now?

And it doesn't even work suppressed with Mk262. Comeon guys.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 1:01:36 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Yes, it would alter your statements to either being opinion/conjecture or anecdotal field evidence.
View Quote
I have anecdotal field evidence that 320s get left  in ruck sacks or back at the COP because mounting them to rifles blows. Our BN even bought all the grenadiers drop leg holsters for the things but they're far too heavy and large for that to work. It was that obvious (apparently) that they needed to be standalone equipment.

They suck (obviously just my opinion) mounted because the balance shifts very far forward and there's 87 grips hanging off the bottom to grab onto everything within arms reach.

I would happily carry a SAW before I carried an M4/M320 combo.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 1:36:05 AM EDT
[#26]
3 man fire teams?

wtf
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 7:42:29 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
3 man fire teams?

wtf
View Quote
REgiment had those.  Not sure if they still do.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 7:46:27 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
False.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

All that will be great when we fire up the time machine and go to Helmand 10 years ago!
False.
Where possibly?
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 8:31:04 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Where possibly?
View Quote
Gee.  I don't know.  
Phillipines, Indonesia, Africa, South America, Central America
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 8:49:43 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Gee.  I don't know.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where possibly?
Gee.  I don't know.  
Nah, all future wars will be fought against non-state actors that exploit our lack of maneuverability in terrain similar to Helmand.

We already forgot everything we learned in Iraq.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 8:55:16 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Nah, all future wars will be fought against non-state actors that exploit our lack of maneuverability in terrain similar to Helmand.

We already forgot everything we learned in Iraq.
View Quote
Suppression is a lie.

Only hits count.

Marines should have this or they are going to die.  Outranged by Taliban with Moisin Nagants and Lee-Enfields.  Until we can be more precise at the individual rifleman level, we will never win in Afghanistan

Link Posted: 5/16/2018 9:01:36 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Gee.  I don't know.  
View Quote
I dont really see us going to war in the Philippines, africa or south america in my lifetime, but ok.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 9:02:04 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Suppression is a lie.

Only hits count.

Marines should have this or they are going to die.  Outranged by Taliban with Moisin Nagants and Lee-Enfields.  Until we can be more precise at the individual rifleman level, we will never win in Afghanistan

http://www.hallowellco.com/ballard-griebel-left.jpg
View Quote
Sadly the NGSAR the Army is working on is the same concept. Replace the M4 and M249 with a 20 round box mag fed rifle in the 6.8 caliber running at 3,500 fps with 100K psi chamber pressure.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 9:05:37 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I dont really see us going to war in the Philippines, africa or south america in my lifetime, but ok.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gee.  I don't know.  
We’ve been in all those places your entire lifetime.

It’s just not a conventional war until it is.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 9:07:49 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Rifle mounted grenade launchers make doing either task exponentially more difficult. Force me to have a 40mm grenade launching capability for dead space coverage or punching into enclaves, and I'll take a stand alone M203 any day over the M320.

S/F
View Quote
That was my (completely layman’s) thought about the modernized M79 concept I mentioned above.  Basically two assertions:

A “small bullet launcher” and a “small grenade launcher” allows each respective weapon to do its job better than trying to join the two together into a “bullet and grenade launcher.  You’re only handling/aiming the weapon you actually need, and stuff like aiming optics and weapon controls can be optimized rather than “being made to work” around the other weapon.  Having to switch weapons makes for a slower first round of 40mm, but it should also be more accurately placed, and follow-up grenades should be faster with the dedicated launcher.

The simple break-open M79 form factor, with modern materials, optics, and auto-ejection (like most break-open shotguns) would be optimum for using the 40mm system.  Compact, easy to carry in a simple “scabbard”, rate of fire could be higher than any other system other than the Milkor-type repeaters, which are big and heavy.

Now, I think Mk18 + iMortar would be an even better solution, but that’s a whole different thread derail....

iMortar Lightweight, Manpackable 60mm Mortar and Ammo at SOFIC 2015
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 9:08:53 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Well, one thing the M320 CAN do that the 203 could not is fire this bad boy; gentlemen I present to thee the Raytheon 40mm grenade launched guided missile:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vftDTZChRQw

https://www.raytheon.com/sites/default/files/2017-09/pike_body_img_01.jpg

https://www.raytheon.com/sites/default/files/styles/lightbox_gallery/public/2018-01/pike_pic_01_lg.jpg?itok=dUcO6qx0

Yes, 5M kill radius, laser-guided, 2 km max effective range from the either the M320 or FNH MK13 grenade launchers.
View Quote

Raytheon Pike 40 mm Precision Guided Munition for the First Time at AUSA 2015 Washington DC U.S.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 9:16:05 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote
I don't need to be an 03XX Marine to recognize the engineering inferiority of the M27, the logistical inferiority of the M27, or read the numerous M27 tests the USMC, and US Army did where the M27 shit the bed.

And firing a 416D is an accurate representation of the weapon system in the same way shooting a MK18 is with an M4.

It's close enough to understand how the system operates, behaves, and feels like. The 416D is a pig, by the way. I can't imagine humping around a 13+lb M27 kitted out.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 9:19:37 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote
Why in the shit would you want to waste money, time, and resources in weapons development for a platform with 1920s era operating components, when USASOC has weapons IN INVENTORY that have been tested, issued, and are known to be better weapons in testing.

Take a URG-I, give it an heavy barrel, Surefire bolt carrier group, and suppressor. Slap a 1-8 optic, and a bipod on it. Boom. Better IAR. Slightly modify that, and boom. Better DMR.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 9:48:44 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote
We are slinging lead right now in them.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 9:52:08 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don’t think it’s much of a stretch to assert that small arms are a hell of a lot more important in these sort of LIC operations than against near-peer enemies, where outcomes are gonna be much more influenced by jet fuel and HE (or worst-case free neutrons).
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 10:07:35 AM EDT
[#41]
I would still rather have a good old fashion M16-A4......
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 10:15:22 AM EDT
[#42]
Finally there will be someone responsible for squad level printer repairs.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 10:27:10 AM EDT
[#43]
Not personally involved in any of this, but I've been following SYSCOM for a while, and I love what they are doing:

-Fire teams going from 4 to 3 man.
-Every Marine gets full auto fire, plus optics, bipods, and (most significantly) suppressors.
-High cut helmets with integrated ear pro/ comms
-Systems Operators at the Squad Level
-Squad level Joint Fires Observers capable of executing their own fire missions.

I'm not in the weeds with M27/38 development so I'll skip that. What gets me going is this Systems Operator.  Let's look at two of the most likely picks, the Snipe or the Wasp:
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

The Marines are putting joint fires into the hands of Squad Leaders. That's tremendous. These drone operators are going to be doing a lot more than just playing on iPads. We're going from squads with auto rifles, belt-feds, SMAWs, and rifle-mounted GLs, to squads with automatic rifle fire, recoilless CGs with HEDP/HEAT, organic aerial ISR, and JFOs integrated through JTACs providing full air support.

You're talking about your E-5 Buck SGT, being able to:
-Direct his personal drone to a specific location
-ID targets
-Supress them with rifle fire
-Keep eyes-on in real time while
-Blowing it up with the equivalent of an artillery shell, OR
-Call it in and direct fires to eliminate the threat.

...and this isn't even an Officer. This is a junior NCO.  Holy MOSES.

This right here? THIS is the future:
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 10:30:11 AM EDT
[#44]
what indirect-fire assets does the Marine Corps intend to place in direct support of a Marine rifle squad?  Will they have a mortar section dedicated to supporting them? Are they gonna route their calls for fire through the Fire Support Officer at Plt/Co level?
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 10:54:57 AM EDT
[#45]
How long until the integration of the UAV with a laser targeting system for the MAAWS or the M203 ?

I couldn't find any info
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 11:15:33 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I'd rather have this:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd rather have this:

Also, KAC makes an adapter for 203s that turns them into a standalone M79 style launcher and it works very well.

The AF has a shitload of them.

If the Army had any sense, they'd have purchased those for the units they felt needed the ability to swap between under-barrel and standalone, and just left the 203s.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 11:24:38 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The M27, the newer/other types of ammo, suppressors etc. were not developed together as a system.  Some things don't always play well together in the field.  Test and tweak as necessary.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 11:30:57 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Why in the shit would you want to waste money, time, and resources in weapons development for a platform with 1920s era operating components, when USASOC has weapons IN INVENTORY that have been tested, issued, and are known to be better weapons in testing.

Take a URG-I, give it an heavy barrel, Surefire bolt carrier group, and suppressor. Slap a 1-8 optic, and a bipod on it. Boom. Better IAR. Slightly modify that, and boom. Better DMR.
View Quote
Sounds like a nice build, why don't you send that to MARCORSYSCOM at :

Mailing Address:

Marine Corps Systems Command

ATTN: Office of Public Affairs & Communication

2200 Lester Street

Quantico, VA 22554

E-Mail: [email protected]

Better energy spent there than here.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 11:31:50 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

The M27, the newer/other types of ammo, suppressors etc. were not developed together as a system.  Some things don't always play well together in the field.  Test and tweak as necessary.
View Quote

Do you feel the same of the M4? Or just the M27? Also the M27 isn't getting any tweaks, it is what it is.

Even then isn't one of the reason for the piston according to HK the fact that it works with any ammunition available while DI doesn't? Yet here we are, apparently the M27 only works with M855.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 11:41:03 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Sounds like a nice build, why don't you send that to MARCORSYSCOM at :

Mailing Address:

Marine Corps Systems Command

ATTN: Office of Public Affairs & Communication

2200 Lester Street

Quantico, VA 22554

E-Mail: [email protected]

Better energy spent there than here.
View Quote
Why listen to me? The Army already has all that shit. Why doesn't the USMC just study their findings like they did with M855A1?
Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top