Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/15/2022 5:41:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Cuttlefish are bizarre as hell too.

Someone needs to look at their documentation too.
Link Posted: 2/15/2022 5:42:19 PM EDT
[#2]
that's been a theory for at least a decade...
Link Posted: 2/15/2022 5:45:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No it doesn't.

"However consistent with this conclusion are the recent RNA editing transcriptome-wide data on the somatic RNA diversification mechanisms in the behaviourally sophisticated Cephalopods such as Octopus. These data demonstrate extensive evolutionary conserved adenosine to inosine (A-to-I) mRNA editing sites in almost every single protein-coding gene in the behaviorally complex coleoid Cephalopods (Octopus in particular), but not in nautilus (Liscovitch-Brauer et al., 2017). This enormous qualitative difference in Cephalopod protein recoding A-to-I mRNA editing compared to nautilus and other invertebrate and vertebrate animals is striking. Thus in transcriptome-wide screens only 13% of Drosophila and human protein coding mRNAs harbour an A-to-I recoding site; and there only about 25 human mRNA messages which contain a conserved A-to-I recoding site across mammals. In Drosophila lineages there are about 65 conserved A-sites in protein coding genes and only a few identified in C. elegans which support the hypothesis that A-to-I RNA editing recoding is mostly either neutral, detrimental, or rarely adaptive (reviewed in Liscovitch-Brauer et al., 2017). Yet in Squid and particularly Octopus it is the norm, with almost every protein coding gene having an evolutionary conserved A-to-I mRNA editing site isoform, resulting in a nonsynonymous amino acid change (Liscovitch-Brauer et al., 2017). This is a virtual qualitative jump in molecular genetic strategy in a supposed smooth and incremental evolutionary lineage - a type of sudden "great leap forward". Unless all the new genes expressed in the squid/octopus lineages arose from simple mutations of existing genes in either the squid or in other organisms sharing the same habitat, there is surely no way by which this large qualitative transition in A-to-I mRNA editing can be explained by conventional neo-Darwinian processes, even if horizontal gene transfer is allowed. One plausible explanation, in our view, is that the new genes are likely new extraterrestrial imports to Earth - most plausibly as an already coherent group of functioning genes within (say) cryopreserved and matrix protected fertilized Octopus eggs."

View Quote

When simplified to that argument, seems like a plausible proof of panspermia, or multiple abiogenesis.
Link Posted: 2/15/2022 5:46:16 PM EDT
[#4]
probably hopped off of Nubiru last fly by

Link Posted: 2/15/2022 5:47:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
They're intelligent, but I don't think they're smart enough to build and fly spaceships.
View Quote

And if they were that smart, they would have packed their shit and left Earth by now.

Link Posted: 2/15/2022 5:51:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
No it doesn't.

"However consistent with this conclusion are the recent RNA editing transcriptome-wide data on the somatic RNA diversification mechanisms in the behaviourally sophisticated Cephalopods such as Octopus. These data demonstrate extensive evolutionary conserved adenosine to inosine (A-to-I) mRNA editing sites in almost every single protein-coding gene in the behaviorally complex coleoid Cephalopods (Octopus in particular), but not in nautilus (Liscovitch-Brauer et al., 2017). This enormous qualitative difference in Cephalopod protein recoding A-to-I mRNA editing compared to nautilus and other invertebrate and vertebrate animals is striking. Thus in transcriptome-wide screens only 13% of Drosophila and human protein coding mRNAs harbour an A-to-I recoding site; and there only about 25 human mRNA messages which contain a conserved A-to-I recoding site across mammals. In Drosophila lineages there are about 65 conserved A-sites in protein coding genes and only a few identified in C. elegans which support the hypothesis that A-to-I RNA editing recoding is mostly either neutral, detrimental, or rarely adaptive (reviewed in Liscovitch-Brauer et al., 2017). Yet in Squid and particularly Octopus it is the norm, with almost every protein coding gene having an evolutionary conserved A-to-I mRNA editing site isoform, resulting in a nonsynonymous amino acid change (Liscovitch-Brauer et al., 2017). This is a virtual qualitative jump in molecular genetic strategy in a supposed smooth and incremental evolutionary lineage - a type of sudden "great leap forward". Unless all the new genes expressed in the squid/octopus lineages arose from simple mutations of existing genes in either the squid or in other organisms sharing the same habitat, there is surely no way by which this large qualitative transition in A-to-I mRNA editing can be explained by conventional neo-Darwinian processes, even if horizontal gene transfer is allowed. One plausible explanation, in our view, is that the new genes are likely new extraterrestrial imports to Earth - most plausibly as an already coherent group of functioning genes within (say) cryopreserved and matrix protected fertilized Octopus eggs."

View Quote

where did you clip that from?
Link Posted: 2/15/2022 5:56:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Lol, that paper is from 2018 and was heavily criticized. It's a rehash of panspermia.

And yes, fringe papers get into real journals. Check out pubpeer or RetractionWatch.
Link Posted: 2/15/2022 5:58:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
That theory has been around for a while. I believe other papers were claiming something similar years ago.

I don't believe it but there are a lot of fun ways to spin it into a movie plot. You could turn it into anything from Mars Attacks to Prometheus.
View Quote

There was a book series where this happened.

First book is called Boundry
By Eric Flint and Ryk E Spoor
Link Posted: 2/15/2022 6:02:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No it doesn't.

From the paper in question.
Link Posted: 2/15/2022 6:03:10 PM EDT
[#10]
My Octopus Teacher.
Link Posted: 2/15/2022 6:04:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

horseshoe crabs been keeping it the same for a long time
View Quote

Yea 455 million years, sharks are like 400 million.
Link Posted: 2/15/2022 6:12:12 PM EDT
[#12]
remember that time when GD forgot about squid, cuttlefish, nautilus, and other similar creatures because the media published a click bait story on octopus?

i member
Link Posted: 2/15/2022 6:13:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/15/2022 6:17:27 PM EDT
[#14]
So when the alien race they came from arrives, we are screwed over how we have treated their progeny?
Link Posted: 2/15/2022 6:24:21 PM EDT
[#15]
I had one for a pet, smarter than my dog for sure.
Link Posted: 2/15/2022 6:25:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
So when the alien race they came from arrives, we are screwed over how we have treated their progeny?
View Quote
Probably about like when the Chicken and Cow alien overlords arrive
Link Posted: 2/15/2022 6:30:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

When simplified to that argument, seems like a plausible proof of panspermia, or multiple abiogenesis.
View Quote

conventional neo-Darwinian processes

get out the theoretical shoehorn
Link Posted: 2/15/2022 6:32:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
The only sane thing from the article:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
The only sane thing from the article:
Keith Baverstock, a medical researcher with the University of Eastern Finland, reviewed the paper. In his review, Baverstock stated that there is indeed a lot of evidence that makes the thesis plausible. However, he said that this isn’t how science advances. Because so much of the evidence is not definitive, this thesis only adds to the mystery surrounding the origin of life. In fact, nothing in the paper’s summary really helps us better understand the history of life on our planet. It only adds more conjectures to the already overflowing pot of theories that science has birthed over the years.

Sounds about right.

It’s an interesting theory, and it makes some sense, but there’s nothing definitive, making it nothing more than a theory.

Link Posted: 2/15/2022 6:34:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Actually just from looks alone I'd say the platypus was an alien. But the article was good for a laugh.
View Quote

Alien?

I’d say it was an alien experiment that escaped, lol.
Link Posted: 2/15/2022 6:37:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
No it doesn't.

Should’ve been posted in OP so you could look without the media bias.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0079610718300798
Link Posted: 2/15/2022 6:41:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Once they see Dream Of A Fisherman's Wife, everything will work out.
Link Posted: 2/15/2022 6:46:35 PM EDT
[#22]
I wonder if experiments have been conducted to see how octopuses can live in zero g.  Likewise, I don't know shit about them - they they need 100% humidity, or do they require to be submerged to live.  Google, about 30 minutes out of water.  Given the mass of water vs air - don't see them space faring any day soon.
Link Posted: 2/15/2022 6:50:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 2/15/2022 6:50:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Yeah, and monkeys might fly out of my butt.
View Quote

Octopi will squirt out of mine.
Link Posted: 2/15/2022 6:51:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 2/15/2022 7:04:18 PM EDT
[#26]
It's not just Octopi that are aliens!

Octopus eye:

Goat eyes!

Coincidence...I think not!

Then you have your Horseshoe Crabs...totally alien...one of the few critters on Earth with copper based blood which sells for $60,000 per gallon!

Horseshoe Crabs look like the alien face huggers in the documentary Aliens; a documentary which was designed to desensitize us to the idea of alien face hugging aliens like the Horseshoe Crab!

Link Posted: 2/15/2022 7:16:06 PM EDT
[#27]
well from out very limited understand of what "life" looks like it is highly likely that any life form we have not yet discovered either looks very much like we'd expect (carbon based, energy consuming) or really weird to us, like silicon, arsenic, or even energy based life. this begs the question, could we currently be observing life in different forms and not even realize it's life. yes, yes we could.
Link Posted: 2/15/2022 7:18:09 PM EDT
[#28]
Attachment Attached File

They walk among us.
Link Posted: 2/15/2022 7:24:25 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

And if they were that smart, they would have packed their shit and left Earth by now.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
They're intelligent, but I don't think they're smart enough to build and fly spaceships.

They did.  Only the dumb ones remain.  Just like the prawns in D9.
Link Posted: 2/15/2022 7:24:59 PM EDT
[#30]
I thought it was the Humpback whales...

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/15/2022 7:37:31 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 2/15/2022 8:29:29 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

im tarded...TL:DR
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No it doesn't.

im tarded...TL:DR

He says it don't, but then you read it, and it do.

Cuttlefish too, it's a small group of creatures that have a bunch of DNA we don't see elsewhere. They also have a lot of DNA we do see elsewhere though, so it's more likely a virus or other simple lifeform from an alien environment with complex life in it that survived relocation here, or there's a whole branch of terrestrial biology that's completely undiscovered that got pruned down to a few, or even one, species.

Whatever the explanation is, it's going to be interesting.
Link Posted: 2/15/2022 8:32:10 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
That's stupid. We all know there's several types of aliens but octopi aren't one of them.
View Quote

I know about the dolphins and I know about the mice.  What are the other types?
Link Posted: 2/15/2022 9:49:12 PM EDT
[#34]
Cephalopods are certainly among the most alien looking of species, but methinks they're as terrestrial as the rest of us.
And if life on Earth is that diverse*, imagine what form actual alien life might take.

*but not woke!

Link Posted: 2/15/2022 9:54:04 PM EDT
[#35]
It makes sense, what with all the butt stuff you hear about from abductees.
Link Posted: 2/15/2022 10:08:02 PM EDT
[#36]
Twilight zone episode talked about this.

That they are far smarter than we are.

The Twilight Zone Season 2: "8" Season 2 Episode 6 Breakdown & Easter Eggs!
Link Posted: 2/16/2022 1:00:10 PM EDT
[#37]
They are pretty weird, so maybe aliens
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top