Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 187
Link Posted: 6/30/2024 11:04:10 AM EDT
[#1]
FIA doing liberal things, choosing both track limits minutiae and physical restraint in the form of gravel.

The idea of the gravel is that it is supposed to negate the “time advantage” when crossing over the track limit, by slowing the car / forcing a strong correction, and yet they’re issuing track limit penalties anyway.
Link Posted: 6/30/2024 11:05:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Shung:

I'm honestly starting to wonder if they truly drive the same car
View Quote
I use to say the same thing about RIC's car when he was with Merc with Hammy. But lately I have been wondering about RIC's driving ability being so inconsistent.
Link Posted: 6/30/2024 11:09:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: fike] [#3]
As much as I’m not a fan of David Valsecchi’s commentary generally, you have to give him credit for standing between Buxton’s and Palmer’s hype and blame game and saying  “this is F1. This is what we rave about from 20 and 30 years ago with legendary drivers”.
Link Posted: 6/30/2024 11:13:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By fike:
As much as I’m not a fan of David Valsecchi’s commentary generally, you have to give him credit for standing between Buxton’s and Palmer’s hype and blame game and saying  “this is F1. This is what we rave about from 20 and 30 years ago with legendary drivers”.
View Quote

Did you know that he was actually a decent driver too ?
Link Posted: 6/30/2024 11:13:51 AM EDT
[#5]
View Quote

He is very marmite to people, but he's not wrong here. People are talking about something other than another Verstappen win (I thought it would be another Verstappen win).
Link Posted: 6/30/2024 11:15:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By sgthatred:
I use to say the same thing about RIC's car when he was with Merc with Hammy. But lately I have been wondering about RIC's driving ability being so inconsistent.
View Quote

? Ric with Mercedes ? Am I missing something or having a Mandela effect moment ?
Link Posted: 6/30/2024 11:15:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 20andOUT] [#7]
PER getting beat by VER after a collision, tire death, limping back to the pits, and a 10 sec pen just says volumes about PER.

I'm starting to wonder if his contract renewal had a siesta clause in it for during each race.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Neat to see George and Oscar be able to clean up the pieces.

Max was already in Lando's head going into the race, now ..lol.

Insult to injury, Max still finished 5th.

Sergio getting beat by a Haas ..
PER getting beat by VER after a collision, tire death, limping back to the pits, and a 10 sec pen just says volumes about PER.

I'm starting to wonder if his contract renewal had a siesta clause in it for during each race.

In his defense he was in a long battle with Haas.  I really don’t think that is an argument in his favor though.
Link Posted: 6/30/2024 11:16:56 AM EDT
[#8]

? Ric with Mercedes ? Am I missing something or having a Mandela effect moment ?
View Quote

I'm guessing he meant Nico?
Link Posted: 6/30/2024 11:18:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Lando isn’t going to be Max’s friend anymore.

lol

Lando to Sky Italy: "Will the friendship between Max and me end? I don't know, it will depend on him and how he explains: if he claims to be right it will be over, if he admits that he did something stupid then I will understand."
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/30/2024 11:19:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Esterhase:

I'm guessing he meant Nico?
View Quote

If that’s the case, the Ham did indeed beat Nico for a few champs but the gap in between the two was never in the same universe than max/checo right now
Link Posted: 6/30/2024 11:19:32 AM EDT
[#11]

lol

View All Quotes

lol

Lando to Sky Italy: "Will the friendship between Max and me end? I don't know, it will depend on him and how he explains: if he claims to be right it will be over, if he admits that he did something stupid then I will understand."

Post race Max sounded at least unwilling to point blame to Lando.  But stopped well short of admitting fault.
Link Posted: 6/30/2024 11:20:01 AM EDT
[#12]

lol

View Quote

Max knows Lando is the only guy that can barely worry him this year.

He is trying to kill that hope in the egg
Link Posted: 6/30/2024 11:20:43 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By 20andOUT:

Post race Max sounded at least unwilling to point blame to Lando.  But stopped well short of admitting fault.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 20andOUT:

lol

Said he needed to watch the video, which is about as fair as you can get.
Link Posted: 6/30/2024 11:20:45 AM EDT
[#14]
View Quote

Umm huh
Link Posted: 6/30/2024 11:23:26 AM EDT
[#15]

View Quote
Getting old, brain fart got me. I meant RB and Vettel not Hammy. Scrambled eggs for brains this morning
Link Posted: 6/30/2024 11:25:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Shung] [#16]
Getting old, brain fart got me. I meant RB and Vettel not Hammy. Scrambled eggs for brains this morning
View Quote

Ok, that makes sense.

I think the comparison is quite valid then.

Vettel was superior for as long as the rules favored a car that matched his driving preferences.

I think for Red Bull it’s the same. They are creating and developing a car that suit max driving preferences and abilities 100% . And as they develop it further that way it becomes harder and harder to checo. Still he sucks
Link Posted: 6/30/2024 11:28:07 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 6/30/2024 11:28:26 AM EDT
[#18]

Said he needed to watch the video, which is about as fair as you can get.
View Quote

Agreed. Impossible for him to judge in the heat of the moment
Link Posted: 6/30/2024 11:28:29 AM EDT
[#19]
Ahhh that was epic.

Monza 2021 vibes all over again.
Link Posted: 6/30/2024 11:29:00 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Zhukov:
Great race for Hulkenberg!

First time I've seen Toto smile in several years I think.
View Quote

Which is the worst thing we got today (Toto smiling)
Link Posted: 6/30/2024 11:32:03 AM EDT
[#21]
I remember Schumacher's teammates used to experience it too; Michael put a lot of time into understanding the car and figuring out that it didn't have to be pleasant to drive to be very fast. His teammates never got over that first hill, so they were always sitting midfield while he was at the front (with the exception of one Martin Brundle...).

I think we're seeing that with Perez. The field has shifted forward slightly, Max knows how to maximize the car, Sergio is stuck unable to find a way to make it go quick. So weird exactly the same thing happened last year. The mid-season plummet in form, I mean. He just cannot get a time out of it.

The difference between him and Gasly/Albon is he usually starts out well, but loses momentum. Those guys looked lost from the first lap.
Link Posted: 6/30/2024 11:32:23 AM EDT
[#22]

lol

View All Quotes

lol

Seems Lando has drawn a line. Max should claim to be right, skip the drama and move on.

From my peon perspective, it’s racing put on your big boy pants.
Link Posted: 6/30/2024 11:35:51 AM EDT
[#23]
It's a bit weird to me that Max seems more concerned about Lando beating him than the whole WDC. He's winning that easily, and yet we're seeing a response to pressure which seems to be unusual. Perhaps the championship is so devalued to him (because he's walked it twice now) that it's more important to be seen as the top guy than anything else.
Link Posted: 6/30/2024 11:35:54 AM EDT
[#24]
View Quote

+1....I noticed that also.  They were really laying into Max.  But...this is literally how Schumi and Senna raced.
Link Posted: 6/30/2024 11:36:57 AM EDT
[#25]
Regardless of where you come down on the incident, I think we can all agree that we need an update from Rocketpoweredmohawk.
Link Posted: 6/30/2024 11:39:02 AM EDT
[#26]
For all the clowns arguing.   Riddle me this and tell me what the fall out would have been if it was Hamilton in the lead and he moved under breaking to keep Ver from passing and the same punctures.

Red Bull would have gone nuclear.  Calling for Toto to resign.

Some of You all posting on here are dense.
Link Posted: 6/30/2024 11:39:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Shung] [#27]
It's a bit weird to me that Max seems more concerned about Lando beating him than the whole WDC. He's winning that easily, and yet we're seeing a response to pressure which seems to be unusual. Perhaps the championship is so devalued to him (because he's walked it twice now) that it's more important to be seen as the top guy than anything else.
View Quote

As I said, I think he knows Lando is the only danger toward his next WDC. (Not a huge one either)

I think he wanted to kill that momentum asap.

Psychologically max starting losing fair races vs lando could make lando start believing in himself a little too much

Link Posted: 6/30/2024 11:39:26 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 6/30/2024 11:40:11 AM EDT
[#29]
View Quote

Bro....ask yourself what would Schumi or Senna have done......its an easy answer.  Max wants to win Period, because he is the best on the grid.
Link Posted: 6/30/2024 11:42:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Shung] [#30]
Originally Posted By poison123:

Bro....ask yourself what would Schumi or Senna have done......its an easy answer.  Max wants to win Period, because he is the best on the grid.
View Quote

And Shumi once lost all his championship points for bringing it too far. (all while Villeneuve would have never made that corner, if he simply let him through and cross trajectory behind him)
Link Posted: 6/30/2024 11:42:26 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By DCV_117:
View Quote
I would have thought the Torpedo was doing the DNF job.
Link Posted: 6/30/2024 11:43:13 AM EDT
[#32]

As I said, I think he knows Lando is the only danger toward his next WDC. (Not a huge one either)

I think he wanted to kill that momentum asap.

Psychologically max starting losing fair races vs lando could make lando start believing in himself a little too much

View Quote

You make me think of how Senna responded to Schumacher in 1992; telling him off in public (Magny Cours) because it was obvious he could see where the next rival was. All because Schumacher in his first full season had the audacity to race Senna.  And so it came to be...
Link Posted: 6/30/2024 11:43:15 AM EDT
[#33]
I just hope everyone had a good time
Link Posted: 6/30/2024 11:43:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Shung] [#34]
View Quote

I for one miss seing v10s at 18k rpm go out in smoke and flames

These were the good days!
Link Posted: 6/30/2024 11:44:11 AM EDT
[#35]
View Quote

We don’t need grojean, we’ve got magnussen
Link Posted: 6/30/2024 11:57:19 AM EDT
[#36]
View Quote

Yep. I've watched the older races and just counted the track limits violations per the modern rules.
Link Posted: 6/30/2024 12:03:31 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 6/30/2024 12:05:51 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 6/30/2024 12:07:01 PM EDT
[#39]

Care to explain why max didn’t get a unsafe release penalty at the first pit ?

The reality is that max would rather fuck both of their races rather than lose his duel with lando
View Quote

Croft said it in commentary. They’ve had closer ones that didn’t get a penalty under safety car conditions. Stews probably looked at other precedents in that one.
Link Posted: 6/30/2024 12:14:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: D_J] [#40]
Link Posted: 6/30/2024 12:16:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Shung] [#41]
Originally Posted By D_J:

Norris didn’t get a penalty because he gained time in that instance, he got a penalty because he’d been warned already for doing it too many times (and possibly gaining time on those instances).
View Quote

Except the fact that the last one he got the penalty  for was not the type that the rule exist for in which you gain time.

Hell, he even did give the position back and lost even more time for that.

Link Posted: 6/30/2024 12:16:46 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 6/30/2024 12:17:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Shung] [#43]
Originally Posted By Teamer:

Croft said it in commentary. They’ve had closer ones that didn’t get a penalty under safety car conditions. Stews probably looked at other precedents in that one.
View Quote

But this wasn’t under safety car. And lando had to lock tires to avoid the collision.

Those excuses don’t stand

I’ll post a video as soon as it is available. You can clearly see that Lando must brake to avoid colliding
Ie was the one being in the pit lane and had priority.
Link Posted: 6/30/2024 12:23:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Shung] [#44]

Because it wasn’t unsafe. The announcers even said it was normal distances before the stewards agreed. You can think it was unsafe, but you’ll be wrong and in the very small minority.
View Quote

It was so ‘safe’ that Lando had to lock his front wheels to avoid a collision…

I guess I was in the minority at the A1 ring today. The majority was wearing orange tshirts ;) ps: not the McLaren orange (wink)
Link Posted: 6/30/2024 12:29:19 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 6/30/2024 12:29:28 PM EDT
[#46]

Max definitely turned into Lando, trying to push him wide - hence the penalty. What he didn’t cause was Lando to intentionally hit him a second time with his right front. That was just retaliation.

I also agree that Max probably made too many moves under braking at least once or twice while Lando made several unsafe dive bombs to the inside (a Hamilton signature move).

So neither are innocent and it made for some exciting racing before they wrecked each other.
View Quote

I could be wrong, but I thought the second contact was because of Max's puncture. I think Lando was just able to hold the line while Max couldn't because of the tire.
Link Posted: 6/30/2024 12:33:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Shung] [#47]

When everyone in the thread disagrees, and the commentators disagree, and the stewards disagree … that’s when it’s time to accept your opinion is wrong and move on.
View Quote

That’s what they told Galileo too ;)

Ps: commentators and stewards are wrong more often than they are right ;) And this can be demonstrated ;)  As for ‘people in this thread’ , joker ;)

Then again, I might be wrong if Lando locked because he got scared.
Link Posted: 6/30/2024 12:46:22 PM EDT
[#48]
Its racing w big boy pants Lando. Put them on or shut up.

IDC if its Max fault, in all honesty this should help Lando understand better on how to deal w Max. You cant outbully him so he needs to be better at other aspects.
Link Posted: 6/30/2024 12:50:02 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By drewptwo:

I could be wrong, but I thought the second contact was because of Max's puncture. I think Lando was just able to hold the line while Max couldn't because of the tire.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By drewptwo:

Max definitely turned into Lando, trying to push him wide - hence the penalty. What he didn’t cause was Lando to intentionally hit him a second time with his right front. That was just retaliation.

I also agree that Max probably made too many moves under braking at least once or twice while Lando made several unsafe dive bombs to the inside (a Hamilton signature move).

So neither are innocent and it made for some exciting racing before they wrecked each other.

That was my take as well. The second bit of contact was because Max was only on three tires already.

There’s some seriously good reactions on page 137. Anyone blaming Lando for that contact is delusional. At the end of the day both drivers crossed the line throughout the entirety of the battle.

And we get to do it again next week.

Link Posted: 6/30/2024 1:12:16 PM EDT
[#50]

Max definitely turned into Lando, trying to push him wide - hence the penalty. What he didn't cause was Lando to intentionally hit him a second time with his right front. That was just retaliation.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By tifosi:
I don't have a dog in the Lando-Max incident, but being as impartial as I can be, it seemed
pretty clear that was Max's fault. Is what it is. As least it spiced up the end of the race
and has given us five different winners so far this year. It's made this season more interesting than last season, so there's that.

Max definitely turned into Lando, trying to push him wide - hence the penalty. What he didn't cause was Lando to intentionally hit him a second time with his right front. That was just retaliation.

Agreed on all accounts.
I think they were both getting frustrated with each other at that point .
Plenty of blame to go around, as I see it.
Page / 187
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top