BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 202
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 1:56:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By chaas67:

If true and it plays out that way during the season, there may be allot of car engineers getting pink slips.

To have a RB19 beat this years car designs would be hilarious.
View Quote
Just run a RB 19 between now and the rules change, just to fuck with the other teams.  Your new hotness isn't as good as our old and busted.  
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 2:04:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Elmer_Fudd_Gantry:
Pat Symonds, F1 chief technical officer, has stated that he believes the Mercedes front wing is technically legal but may go against the spirit of the rules since it may produce considerable "outwash" that may hinder the aero of cars following behind. Allowing cars to follow closer one was of the main objectives of the new rule package so that’s why he believes the FIA may look at the design more closely. Of course Ted Kravitz said the FIA shouldn’t look into it.
View Quote

Tired of hearing this “spirit of the rules” BS that gets trotted out every time someone does something different.  Every team out there has, over the years, done something new that they feel will make them faster while staying within the rules as written.  The rules are the rules, and the teams have to adhere to the letter of the rules.  “Spirit of the rules” is something teams bring up when they’re disappointed that they didn’t think of it on their own.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 2:09:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Shadow_Dancer:

My pants just got tight in the groinal region.

I used to be a pretty big fan of BMW - but ever since the Chris Bangle era ended, it's like they completely lost their way!
The BMW M1. The M3 GTR and years of great M3 cars until the F-chassis series. The V10 for the McLaren F1. The V10s in the M5/M6. The 850CSi. Hell even the BMW V12 LMR - LMP!

Today, esshhhh. They're lackluster on the track. They're not involved in F1. Their road cars seem to have left a lot of BMW traits in the past to chase -- well who the hell knows? The styling department that last 8 years, oh dear god, it's like they all wake up and do a collective bump of smack and chase it with a dipper, then head to the clay modeling room to whip up their next WTF styling theory.

The motors were largely trash too - the only thing saving them right now are the wonderful B58 and its 4 cylinder counterpart. I wish they would re-release the i8, drop the hybrid power train and slap a B58 or even the four banger in the bank and let it twist.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I used to be a pretty big fan of BMW - but ever since the Chris Bangle era ended, it's like they completely lost their way!
The BMW M1. The M3 GTR and years of great M3 cars until the F-chassis series. The V10 for the McLaren F1. The V10s in the M5/M6. The 850CSi. Hell even the BMW V12 LMR - LMP!

Today, esshhhh. They're lackluster on the track. They're not involved in F1. Their road cars seem to have left a lot of BMW traits in the past to chase -- well who the hell knows? The styling department that last 8 years, oh dear god, it's like they all wake up and do a collective bump of smack and chase it with a dipper, then head to the clay modeling room to whip up their next WTF styling theory.

The motors were largely trash too - the only thing saving them right now are the wonderful B58 and its 4 cylinder counterpart. I wish they would re-release the i8, drop the hybrid power train and slap a B58 or even the four banger in the bank and let it twist.

I couldn't agree more. From the sides, the new M4s look like uncanny valley versions of the newer mustangs. I don't mind the new lungs(instead of kidneys) on some models but most look like straight butthole. I kinda get the call back to the very old cars but it was a miss on most models.

Originally Posted By fike:
Well…..it’s never a great sign when the word of the day is “ominous”.

Probably a good fit for all involved.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GG349HDX0AAZBx7.jpg

Interdesting.

I don't know if that's the right fit for him either. He bullies Ferrari a bit, and there's zero chance that flies at RBR.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 2:10:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By willi3d:

Tired of hearing this “spirit of the rules” BS that gets trotted out every time someone does something different.  Every team out there has, over the years, done something new that they feel will make them faster while staying within the rules as written.  The rules are the rules, and the teams have to adhere to the letter of the rules.  “Spirit of the rules” is something teams bring up when they’re disappointed that they didn’t think of it on their own.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Elmer_Fudd_Gantry:
Pat Symonds, F1 chief technical officer, has stated that he believes the Mercedes front wing is technically legal but may go against the spirit of the rules since it may produce considerable "outwash" that may hinder the aero of cars following behind. Allowing cars to follow closer one was of the main objectives of the new rule package so that’s why he believes the FIA may look at the design more closely. Of course Ted Kravitz said the FIA shouldn’t look into it.

The precedent is to let them use the design, but close the loophole it the following year (like AM’s rear wing design from last year).

In both cases, they don’t like loopholes that create additional turbulence.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 2:23:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By TarawaS2000:

I couldn't agree more. From the sides, the new M4s look like uncanny valley versions of the newer mustangs. I don't mind the new lungs(instead of kidneys) on some models but most look like straight butthole. I kinda get the call back to the very old cars but it was a miss on most models.

Interdesting.

I don't know if that's the right fit for him either. He bullies Ferrari a bit, and there's zero chance that flies at RBR.
View All Quotes

Well ..it's never a great sign when the word of the day is "ominous".

Interdesting.

The difference is RBR doesn't make strategy decisions that anybody with a little racing knowledge can tell are idiotic.

Give the drivers the right strategies and they don't feel the need to question it (as often).
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 2:27:07 PM EDT
[#6]

If true and it plays out that way during the season, there may be allot of car engineers getting pink slips.

View Quote

Oh the wailing and gnashing of teeth would be deafening. And further push the narrative that RBR should have to sell off the team.

If they're forced to sell, they should sell to Andretti, Andretti Red Bull Cadillac!

Link Posted: 2/21/2024 2:37:55 PM EDT
[#7]

Oh the wailing and gnashing of teeth would be deafening. And further push the narrative that RBR should have to sell off the team.

If they're forced to sell, they should sell to Andretti, Andretti Red Bull Cadillac!

View All Quotes

If anyone was being completely impartial (which doesn’t happen in F1), the only difference between RBR/RB and Ferrari/Haas is the joint ownership of corporate Red Bull. Both teams use all legally available components from the previous year and both teams have “offices” in close proximity to the parent team. Haas isn’t a threat, so nobody complains.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 2:38:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Cypher214:

The difference is RBR doesn't make strategy decisions that anybody with a little racing knowledge can tell are idiotic.

Give the drivers the right strategies and they don't feel the need to question it (as often).
View All Quotes

Interdesting.

No doubt, I'm more referring to team orders.

I know I keep harping on this but having a young(er) really talented driver come in to RBR just seems crazy. The perfect mold would be a guy like Checo, when he's not having delusions of grandeur about being world champion. He's an older guy that can score a ton of points and secure the constructors.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 2:38:54 PM EDT
[#9]

The precedent is to let them use the design, but close the loophole it the following year (like AM’s rear wing design from last year).

In both cases, they don’t like loopholes that create additional turbulence.
View Quote

Only some teams are allowed to keep using their loophole before closing the loophole next year.

Some teams not only have to stop immediately. and then are later secretly penalized for a couple years

Link Posted: 2/21/2024 2:40:23 PM EDT
[#10]

If anyone was being completely impartial (which doesn’t happen in F1), the only difference between RBR/RB and Ferrari/Haas is the joint ownership of corporate Red Bull. Both teams use all legally available components from the previous year and both teams have “offices” in close proximity to the parent team. Haas isn’t a threat, so nobody complains.
View Quote

And it's RBR. So you know that adds to the seething. If it was VCAMercB, a whole lot of clowns wouldn't be so angry.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 2:46:11 PM EDT
[#11]

I know I keep harping on this but having a young(er) really talented driver come in to RBR just seems crazy. The perfect mold would be a guy like Checo, when he's not having delusions of grandeur about being world champion. He's an older guy that can score a ton of points and secure the constructors.
View All Quotes

Interdesting.

Carlos even considering RBR is a capitulation of status vs Verstappen. That pairing didn’t work out early in their careers, but Carlos now has many years of being relegated to second fiddle in multiple teams.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 2:54:51 PM EDT
[#12]

View Quote

If you’ve got a car as fast and manages tires as good as the RBR, you don’t need to worry much about making every strategy decision 100% right 100% of the time.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 2:59:21 PM EDT
[#13]

If you've got a car as fast and manages tires as good as the RBR, you don't need to worry much about making every strategy decision 100% right 100% of the time.
View All Quotes

If you've got a car as fast and manages tires as good as the RBR, you don't need to worry much about making every strategy decision 100% right 100% of the time.

Also true.  Some of the tire management is on the driver.  Checo is known as a "tire whisperer" and Max is pretty damn good himself.  Max also likes a twitchy/sliding car so I'm sure he can push a car on fading tires a little more than some drivers.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 3:20:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Carlos even considering RBR is a capitulation of status vs Verstappen. That pairing didn’t work out early in their careers, but Carlos now has many years of being relegated to second fiddle in multiple teams.
View Quote

If all the drivers are honest, they'd all have to capitulate that Max is on a different level than everyone in F1.

I think Carlos has what it takes to be a #1 guy at a competent team. He's fast and can win races. If he doesn't have a voice in the back of his head saying, "I hope this car doesn't shit the bed," or "sure hope the team doesn't fuck up my pit strategy" he could be more consistent.

Or maybe I just have more faith in him that Ferrari.

If there's another crazy shakeup, maybe go back to McLaren.

Idk, I like the guy and I hope he gets a good seat for next year.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 3:43:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Shung] [#15]

If all the drivers are honest, they'd all have to capitulate that Max is on a different level than everyone in F1.

I think Carlos has what it takes to be a #1 guy at a competent team. He's fast and can win races. If he doesn't have a voice in the back of his head saying, "I hope this car doesn't shit the bed," or "sure hope the team doesn't fuck up my pit strategy" he could be more consistent.

View Quote

I disagree

how many times did Charles beat him in qual (even last year) with a car that was clearly harder to drive (if not plainly slower) ?

what I will give you is that Max is not making many mistakes anymore. But having a car on rails certainly helps in that

give them equal cars and you wont see that 'other level' you claim exist. is he the best for now. certainly. on 'another level' ? nope

(same speech would be valid for Fernando in my opinion)
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 3:57:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Shung:

I disagree

how many times did Charles beat him in qual (even last year) with a car that was clearly harder to drive (if not plainly slower) ?

what I will give you is that Max is not making many mistakes anymore. But having a car on rails certainly helps in that

give them equal cars and you wont see that 'other level' you claim exist. is he the best for now. certainly. on 'another level' ? nope

View Quote

I don’t think there is any question that Leclerc can be blindingly fast over a qualifying lap.  Maybe even better than Max.  But over the length of a race?  Not so sure, even if they were in the same car.  Leclerc makes too many mistakes, and that needs to stop.  But in the end, Max hasn’t really been challenged in the same car since Danny Ric, so any comparisons are just theoretical.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 4:05:51 PM EDT
[#17]

I disagree

View All Quotes

I disagree

Maybe one lap and relatively perfect conditions, he may not always be on another level. But the fact that over an entire race it's like watching the T1000. Him having zero mistakes is part of that equation and is what puts him on a different echelon than other drivers.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 5:00:01 PM EDT
[#18]

I disagree

View Quote

In equal cars, Max makes Charles his bitch.  There's zero debate there.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 5:06:33 PM EDT
[#19]
First Look At The 2024 Cars | Tech Talk | F1 Pre-Season Testing
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 5:26:33 PM EDT
[#20]

I disagree

View All Quotes

I disagree

Max is the best driver out there, in the best car.  Lando, Oscar, Charles, Fernando, Carlos are second best.  IMO

I've been a Max fan since day 1, so I might be biased.  I was also a VET, MSC, and Senna fan, so I can pick em'
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 6:54:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Cypher214] [#21]

I disagree

View All Quotes

I disagree

Max is this generation's Senna or Schumacher.  Period.

That doesn't mean Charles isn't a phenomenal driver.  He certainly is but he's not at Max's level.  Listen to the other drivers talk about Verstappen.  He likes his car set up right on the ragged edge, so much so that other drivers struggle with his set up.  Driving a car set up that way means he is incredibly tuned in to the machine and the physics.  That is an ability that can't be taught.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 7:38:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By poison123:

In equal cars, Max makes Charles his bitch.  There's zero debate there.
View Quote

Lol, maybe you already forgot the first races of 2022 ?
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 7:46:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Shung] [#23]

That doesn't mean Charles isn't a phenomenal driver.  He certainly is but he's not at Max's level.  Listen to the other driver's talk about Verstappen.  He likes his car set up right on the ragged edge, so much so that other drivers struggle with his set up.  Driving a car set up that way means he is incredibly tuned in to the machine and the physics.  That is an ability that can't be taught.
View Quote

I disagree

Whenever the others will get a car on par, or faster than the RB, we will see that while he is certainly the best or among the bests, he isn’t just “another level” and this is also why he has been beat in other categories before.  Hell, we could already see that at the beginning of 2022.

even Perez bested him at least 2-3  times each year. And since you bring up MSC, How many times did barichello, Irvine or even massa best Schumacher over a week end ?
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 7:58:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Weirding_Module:
I guess we should refer to Red Bull Racing as RBR. Former Alpha Tauri as just RB? Or maybe VRB - Visa Red Bull? Annoyed they didn't just bring back Toro Rosso moniker.
View Quote

I keep it simple.
I call one RBR and the other RBR 2.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 8:25:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Cypher214] [#25]

I disagree

Whenever the others will get a car on par, or faster than the RB, we will see that while he is certainly the best or among the bests, he isn't just "another level" and this is also why he has been beat in other categories before.  Hell, we could already see that at the beginning of 2022.

even Perez bested him at least 2-3  times each year. And since you bring up MSC, How many times did barichello, Irvine or even massa best Schumacher over a week end ?
View All Quotes

That doesn't mean Charles isn't a phenomenal driver.  He certainly is but he's not at Max's level.  Listen to the other driver's talk about Verstappen.  He likes his car set up right on the ragged edge, so much so that other drivers struggle with his set up.  Driving a car set up that way means he is incredibly tuned in to the machine and the physics.  That is an ability that can't be taught.

I disagree

Whenever the others will get a car on par, or faster than the RB, we will see that while he is certainly the best or among the bests, he isn't just "another level" and this is also why he has been beat in other categories before.  Hell, we could already see that at the beginning of 2022.

Wait, so your idea of "best driver" means they never ever lose and never fall victim to mechanical error/weather/bad set up/etc?  That is an incredibly unrealistic standard.

Max just had the most dominant F1 season in history, which followed a very dominant season, but you seem stuck on this idea that "it's the car" and a handful of other drivers with his car could do the same thing despite multiple current drivers and former drivers stating the opposite.

Max also schools some of the best sim drivers in the world, including multitudes of professional racers driving the sim to stay sharp, but I guess that's also meaningless.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 8:29:31 PM EDT
[#26]

View Quote

Ya....and how'd remaining 90%+ of the races between then and now go?  Leclerc showed time and time again he can't handle the pressure.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 8:38:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Cypher214] [#27]

Ya....and how'd remaining 90%+ of the races between then and now go?  Leclerc showed time and time again he can't handle the pressure.
View All Quotes

Reaching back to previous seasons to make a point shows he can't really argue the point.

Next he'll say Charles beat Max in karts at some point so that proves LeClerc is "just as good".

Max has an excellent car, no doubt, but he's able to push that car to the ragged edge and then ask for more, which makes him special.  Nobody is saying if you put Max in a Haas, he would still win races but Albon laid it out perfectly when he described what it's like being Max's teammate.

Alex Albon on Max Verstappen’s Secret Technique

Link Posted: 2/21/2024 9:25:48 PM EDT
[#28]
More RB20 details
The full extent of Red Bull’s 2024 F1 car exposed

Link Posted: 2/21/2024 9:26:29 PM EDT
[#29]
RBR went out and set a demonstrably quick time; The F1TV crew wondered if they were running light just to get some in.

It should worry people that they were so confident in their chassis they did not worry about their run plan to do such a thing.

Brace yourselves, kids. It might be another one of those years.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 9:27:31 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Teamer:

We can be friends

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMocr95cYfU
View Quote

No bloody lie that is chub territory.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 9:38:51 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Mars87:
It’s only day one of testing, so conclusions cannot be drawn yet.

That being said… ooooof.
View Quote

I used to think this, but in the turbo hybrid era when the cars go through so many simulations before they even turn a wheel, they do a lot more performance running during tests.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 9:40:50 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Esterhase:
RBR went out and set a demonstrably quick time; The F1TV crew wondered if they were running light just to get some in.

It should worry people that they were so confident in their chassis they did not worry about their run plan to do such a thing.

View Quote

Honestly, I hope Max clean sweeps the whole thing. I'm not a Max fanboi but the anger he stirs in people makes me root for him.

I enjoy watching the world burn.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 9:46:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Cypher214] [#33]

Honestly, I hope Max clean sweeps the whole thing. I'm not a Max fanboi but the anger he stirs in people makes me root for him.

View All Quotes

It's fun watching someone be the best at the thing they've strived their entire life to be the best at.  Aside from Checo, RBR was a well-oiled machine last season and I can certainly see why fans of other teams hate that but I personally enjoy seeing the pinnacle of what's possible in a given sport.

Eventually, someone will do it better than Max/RBR and the cycle starts all over.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 11:15:44 PM EDT
[#34]

View Quote

A year of the best, showing why they are the best?  One of those years?
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 4:37:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Shung] [#35]

View Quote

He did handle the pressure as long as he had a car that could compete.

Easy to say one can’t handle the pressure when he has to do 110% to be in the fight while your opponent can cruise at 90% and win (and without worrying about any mech failure either)
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 4:39:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Shung] [#36]
Oh apparently radio paddock is saying this could be Horner last day in RB ?

I have no idea if this is true. Any bets ?
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 4:48:49 AM EDT
[#37]
Oh apparently radio paddock is saying this could be hornet last day in RB ?

I have no idea if this is true. Any bets ?
View Quote

That would be overly dramatic and bring a bunch of distraction to the team.
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 5:21:01 AM EDT
[#38]

View Quote

From the image I have seen yesterday and today he wasn’t smiling much (or at all) and wasn’t wearing anything Red Bull
(but to be transparent he wasn’t last year either)
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 5:24:04 AM EDT
[#39]

From the image I have seen yesterday and today he wasn’t smiling much (or at all) and wasn’t wearing anything Red Bull
View All Quotes

Newey was wearing jeans and a T-shirt. Horner had on an Alpha Tauri shirt.
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 5:42:36 AM EDT
[#40]

Newey was wearing jeans and a T-shirt. Horner had on an Alpha Tauri shirt.
View Quote

Today he was with a white shirt - nothing branded
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 7:55:44 AM EDT
[#41]
Of course it had to be Ferrari to hit and ruin the car on a piece of track that wouldn’t remain in place

Same usual luck
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 9:17:59 AM EDT
[#42]
Does someone remember with what tires the best times were done yesterday ?
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 9:19:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Shung] [#43]
Pérez Red Bull is making a horrible noise.
No gear in
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 9:25:22 AM EDT
[#44]
Norris already below yesterdays time of Verstappen on same tires.
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 9:30:28 AM EDT
[#45]

View Quote

You’d think they would have put him on leave if they thought canning him during testing was a possibility.
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 11:03:23 AM EDT
[#46]

It's fun watching someone be the best at the thing they've strived their entire life to be the best at.  Aside from Checo, RBR was a well-oiled machine last season and I can certainly see why fans of other teams hate that but I personally enjoy seeing the pinnacle of what's possible in a given sport.

Eventually, someone will do it better than Max/RBR and the cycle starts all over.
View Quote

Ya, I didn't mind him fucking off seconds ahead and blowing the doors off everyone. Like I said, he's like the T1000.

I've actually come around on him. I didn't care for him for a long time, but how incredible he is behind the wheel and how many people get butthurt by his mere presence made me start cheering for him.

As an aside, here he is talking about his hazing... err his childhood.
max verstappen casually trauma dumping for 5 minutes and 27 seconds straight
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 11:26:13 AM EDT
[#47]
With the FB20 growing shoulders like those Israeli F-16's, at what point are designers going to stop paying lip service to notion of side/rear visibility and start replacing all those pesky openings for lines of sight with aero?  It's not like a driver can turn his head anyway.  

Related; are there rules preventing HUD systems, cameras, and augmented reality in driver interfaces?
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 12:43:50 PM EDT
[#48]
That Mercedes is vastly, vastly improved on the last two years. It's skating on the asphalt with no visible issues.
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 1:06:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RRA_223] [#49]

View Quote

So you were a Lewis fan from 2017 to 2021?

With all the hate he got for being so dominant, at least his teammate (Bottas) was competitive.
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 1:28:56 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By RRA_223:

With all the hate he got for being so dominant, at least his teammate (Bottas) was competitive.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By RRA_223:

I haven't looked at the stats but I would guess Checo and Bottas compare fairly closely in percentage of poles and wins.
Page / 202
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top