BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 202
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 10:51:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: GeneralDisaray] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By flyhack72:

Buxton is probably too busy doing production work on DTS to do the scripted commentary shots.

So, he can hire someone to do that.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By GeneralDisaray:
Two things

1) i saw an Alonso quote that said 19 drivers just realized they aren’t winning the championship this year

2) why in the ever living fuck did they put Danica in DTS? It immediately made the entire thing worse

Buxton is probably too busy doing production work on DTS to do the scripted commentary shots.

I get that but she’s insufferable not to mention hire someone with roots in F1 not some nascar bottom of the pack person to try to relate
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 11:19:35 AM EDT
[#2]

I get that but she’s insufferable not to mention hire someone with roots in F1 not some nascar bottom of the pack person to try to relate
View Quote

She raced Indy car before NASCAR but wasn’t too impressive. Yes I’m aware she won a race, but still she wasn’t that great.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 11:30:34 AM EDT
[#3]
According to AMUS Alpine have the worst car on the grid; overweight and aerodynamically inefficient.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 11:32:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: flyhack72] [#4]

View All Quotes
Two things

1) i saw an Alonso quote that said 19 drivers just realized they aren’t winning the championship this year

2) why in the ever living fuck did they put Danica in DTS? It immediately made the entire thing worse

I'm not a fan of hers but he is not much better--always trying to create more drama for the show.

Honestly, I stopped watching it after what they did with Grosjean.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 12:27:58 PM EDT
[#5]

I'm not a fan of hers but he is not much better--always trying to create more drama for the show.

View All Quotes
Two things

1) i saw an Alonso quote that said 19 drivers just realized they aren't winning the championship this year

I get that but she's insufferable not to mention hire someone with roots in F1 not some nascar bottom of the pack person to try to relate

Well that Grosjean sequence worked because I've shown it to a handful of people and every one of them watched the full series because of it and now follow F1.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 12:28:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By DCV_117:
According to AMUS Alpine have the worst car on the grid; overweight and aerodynamically inefficient.
View Quote

HAAS breathes a sigh of relief.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 12:30:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Cypher214:

Well that Grosjean sequence worked because I've shown it to a handful of people and every one of them watched the full series because of it and now follow F1.
View All Quotes
Two things

1) i saw an Alonso quote that said 19 drivers just realized they aren't winning the championship this year

I get that but she's insufferable not to mention hire someone with roots in F1 not some nascar bottom of the pack person to try to relate

It only paid off because he nearly died.

How they were destroying him earlier was not cool.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 12:33:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: fike] [#8]

View All Quotes

AMUS always has an agenda and it’s usually protecting and promoting “German”.

ETA: IMHO, they are protecting Audi/Sauber which had more rumblings this week of the project falling apart. We shall see in a week.

Link Posted: 2/24/2024 12:35:19 PM EDT
[#9]

View All Quotes
Two things

I agree.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 1:43:16 PM EDT
[#10]
View Quote

Looks like I need to adjust my fantasy lineup then. 😬
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 2:33:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Watching DTS and Lewis still bitching about his “stolen” 8th championship….
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 3:32:29 PM EDT
[#12]

View All Quotes

Sauber too.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 3:45:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By DrPerceptron:
View Quote

If the situation were reversed, and Max had his first Championship locked up when Masi pulled that stunt and broke a whole bunch of safety car protocols to finish "under green" - therefore pretty much guaranteeing he gets passed (and loses) on the final lap...

You'd bet your ass all the Max fanbois would still be salty.  

One thing to lose to a better car or a faster driver.   Another to have an administrative type change the rules (after announcing he wouldn't) on the last lap of the last race for a tied Championship that completely reverses the otherwise inevitable outcome.

It was a shit show for DTS action, and anyone with an honest review of the situation would admit that Lewis had that one locked up.   The only way Max wins in 2021 is by divine intervention - even Christian Horner knew that and said as much.

Link Posted: 2/24/2024 7:07:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By RRA_223:

If the situation were reversed, and Max had his first Championship locked up when Masi pulled that stunt and broke a whole bunch of safety car protocols to finish "under green" - therefore pretty much guaranteeing he gets passed (and loses) on the final lap...

One thing to lose to a better car or a faster driver.   Another to have an administrative type change the rules (after announcing he wouldn't) on the last lap of the last race for a tied Championship that completely reverses the otherwise inevitable outcome.

It was a shit show for DTS action, and anyone with an honest review of the situation would admit that Lewis had that one locked up.   The only way Max wins in 2021 is by divine intervention - even Christian Horner knew that and said as much.

View Quote

This video explains what really happened. I encourage you to watch it.

2021's Dramatic Finale | Jolyon Palmer's F1 TV Analysis | 2021 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix

Link Posted: 2/24/2024 10:49:29 PM EDT
[#15]
The big question on the tech side coming out of testing is “why does Red Bull need so much cooling?”

Pat Symonds, Technical Director for F1, mentioned in an interview during testing that “they had done a ton of work on pass through air management”.

James Allison commented on the subject:

“There’s definitely a different approach being taken there because what glimpses you see of their cooling system, it’s definitely not light and svelte. So they’re doing that for a reason, and I’d love to know what that reason is, but we haven’t figured it out yet.”
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 11:28:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By fike:
The big question on the tech side coming out of testing is “why does Red Bull need so much cooling?”

Pat Symonds, Technical Director for F1, mentioned in an interview during testing that “they had done a ton of work on pass through air management”.

“There’s definitely a different approach being taken there because what glimpses you see of their cooling system, it’s definitely not light and svelte. So they’re doing that for a reason, and I’d love to know what that reason is, but we haven’t figured it out yet.”
View Quote

They’re going to show up with actual zero pods at some point is my guess.
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 12:01:30 AM EDT
[#17]

View Quote

So we're putting aside the blatant rule abuse on engines that Mercedes did in the last 3-5 races then eh?
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 12:28:16 AM EDT
[#18]

View All Quotes

The general consensus is it is not going to be zero pods as Mercedes did it. Keep in mind as well that Allison would have a very good understanding on the requirements of that concept and they haven’t figured out what they are doing.

There is a thought that as they handle much of the battery development/maintenance, they might be working on new deployment strategies and cooling. Two years of chasing that goal would be significant in 2026.
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 2:02:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Lollipopman is back!

Hilarious doesn't accurately describe it.

2024 Season Trailer | Formula 1 Animated Comedy
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 2:25:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Roland-G23:
Lollipopman is back!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipAkWmW61pQ
View Quote

That was good. Glad to see him back.
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 3:00:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RRA_223] [#21]
Originally Posted By Tobysi:

This video explains what really happened. I encourage you to watch it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4rVYxlMvcI
View Quote

Lol.  That video basically just made my point.   But I watched it live.  And then the replays.    Masi said on radio he was not going to let lapped traffic through (horner was complaining).   There was two laps left, so the back traffic could not "clear" the pack as stated by safety car rules: one lap for back traffic THEN the SC comes in - under yellow and race over.

Half a lap later, still under yellow, Masi changes his mind and let's ONLY the four lapped cars that are between Lewis and Hamilton through - not all of the back traffic mind you, just the four cars between Lewis and Max - and the safety car by rule needed to stay out an entire lap for the lapped traffic to come back around.   But the four specific back markers were released on the same penultimate lap that the SC had to pit for their to be one lap of green racing - but alas in contradiction of both safety regs and catching EVERYONE by surprise.   Even the announcers.  

That's why Riccardo was caught on-radio making a comment about how fucked up that was while they were watching it unfold - as the fifth lapped car that was NOT released.  At that point, everyone knew Max had pitted for softs and Lewis stayed out - because they all knew there were four cars between them and there's no way Max would clear them in the few corners suitable for overtaking.  

That moment is when you saw the meme-worthy  Toto outburst.   Had Masi not said he wouldn't release the back markers, maybe Merc pits maybe not.   But Mercedes were expecting those back markers to stay out ( as Masi stated on radio earlier) so if they pitted they'd lose position to Max AND have to clear four cars to get to him.  Then Masi does a 180 for the last lap to gow green and the rest is selective memory and history.

The video you posted kind of glosses over the whole "FIAA rules regarding back traffic and safety cars" in place at the time, and their importance not only to following safety rules but also team decision making.
 Merc and Lewis got hosed hard either way, and selective editing for the sake of the fans won't change it.  

Masi got sacked for a reason, and it wasn't because Toto complained a lot.
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 3:01:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By poison123:

So we're putting aside the blatant rule abuse on engines that Mercedes did in the last 3-5 races then eh?
View Quote

If the FIAA didn't penalize them, then yes.   No different than Ferrari's back room deal on their engine fiasco or Red Bulls' catering budget fiasco.
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 3:35:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By poison123:

View Quote

So for all of Horner’s bitching in the media about it, did they ever actually protest Mercedes to the FIA or the Stewards?  I don’t remember he did.  

Don’t think suspected rule abuse, or using a loophole in the rules, is in the same sphere as the FIA actually violating clearly spelled out rules and procedures.
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 4:43:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Ford starting to pressure Red Bull re: Horner situation.
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 4:55:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Elmer_Fudd_Gantry:
View Quote

I thought the whole point behind Red Bull power trains was so that they could produce their own power plant. Didn't they build a whole factory to produce engines for themselves? Why do they need Ford?
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 5:05:07 PM EDT
[#26]
Any one else think that the Horner investigation turned out to be a nothing-burger, and now Red Bull is delaying because they haven’t found a face saving way out?
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 5:09:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Elmer_Fudd_Gantry] [#27]
Originally Posted By Berettadeprived:

I thought the whole point behind Red Bull power trains was so that they could produce their own power plant. Didn't they build a whole factory to produce engines for themselves? Why do they need Ford?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Berettadeprived:

I believe Ford is providing battery tech.

ETA:

Ford will provide expertise in areas including battery cell and electric motor technology as well as power unit control software and analytics
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 5:10:55 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By willi3d:
Any one else think that the Horner investigation turned out to be a nothing-burger, and now Red Bull is delaying because they haven’t found a face saving way out?
View Quote

Leaning that way since he was at launch and testing. If was serious he would have been placed on leave IMO.
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 5:11:47 PM EDT
[#29]
View Quote

Hard to say, but if it was a slam dunk case it would be over by now.
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 5:55:36 PM EDT
[#30]
Lollipopman is back!

View Quote

I love his stuff. Always get a good laugh from his videos.
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 5:58:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DrPerceptron] [#31]
Lollipopman is back!

View Quote

Ferrari chorus singing “We are checking…We'll come back to you”
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 6:45:50 PM EDT
[#32]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By DrPerceptron:

There was also zero laps under green at Spa and yet half points were awarded. There was no legitimate reason to have sent the cars out there in the first place.
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 6:56:17 PM EDT
[#33]
God damn we on that Ham Max bs that happen many seasons ago shit again.....

Let it fucking go.
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 7:45:30 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By spyk3:

Let it fucking go.
View Quote

So we can talk about Max winning, Max getting a new co driver.  Ferrari fucking up and LeClerc spinning.  Maybe McLaren being in the mid-pack again?

It's a totally wasted year and the same old tripe.   The only variable is how well Alonso does.
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 8:16:03 PM EDT
[#35]
View Quote

Cynical me says they’re going back to the complainant to try and make sure they haven’t missed anything because they’ve found nothing. Or to let the complainant know that the complaint was unfounded.
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 8:19:16 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By spyk3:

Let it fucking go.
View Quote

LH is a whining bitch. It’s blatantly obvious just listening to his radio.
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 8:57:35 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Teamer:

Cynical me says they’re going back to the complainant to try and make sure they haven’t missed anything because they’ve found nothing. Or to let the complainant know that the complaint was unfounded.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Teamer:

At this point there are three options.

- Innocent -They are investigating who else was involved and are going to send a report to the FIA and F1…..or working with authorities on criminal proceedings.
- Innocent- They are spending time to put together a report/document for public presentation that attempts to dispel any idea that RB is trying to cover up bad behavior.
- Guilty - They are making sure all bases are covered to protect RB from lawsuits.
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 9:17:57 PM EDT
[#38]
View Quote

Ford’s statements smell like either very awkward virtue signaling or they are trying to find a way to back out of the deal.
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 10:23:36 PM EDT
[#39]

- Innocent -They are investigating who else was involved and are going to send a report to the FIA and F1…..or working with authorities on criminal proceedings.
- Innocent- They are spending time to put together a report/document for public presentation that attempts to dispel any idea that RB is trying to cover up bad behavior.
- Guilty - They are making sure all bases are covered to protect RB from lawsuits.
View Quote

I’d bet number 2.  

For number 1, there is no value in keeping Horner hanging and not publicly clearing him.  They can look for other suspects whether they clear him now or later.  Also, I wouldn’t be sending any sort of report to either FIA or F1.  It’s none of their business.

For number 3, there is no value in keeping him on if he is guilty.  It just looks worse if they decide he’s guilty and keep him on.  Pretty sure they already know whether they can fire him or not.  At best, they could suspend him until it gets worked out and get the replacement in ASAP.  Or just fire him and deal with the lawsuits later, like any big company would.
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 10:33:15 PM EDT
[#40]

View All Quotes

Exactly, he’s not going anywhere.
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 10:39:20 PM EDT
[#41]

I’d bet number 2.  

For number 1, there is no value in keeping Horner hanging and not publicly clearing him.  They can look for other suspects whether they clear him now or later.  Also, I wouldn’t be sending any sort of report to either FIA or F1.  It’s none of their business.

For number 3, there is no value in keeping him on if he is guilty.  It just looks worse if they decide he’s guilty and keep him on.  Pretty sure they already know whether they can fire him or not.  At best, they could suspend him until it gets worked out and get the replacement in ASAP.  Or just fire him and deal with the lawsuits later, like any big company would.
View All Quotes

I’d bet number 2.  

On #1, it’s not an impossibility that another team is involved….which would eventually bring in the FIA and F1.
On #3, it would take time to lock everything up with NDA’s, settlements, etc. An unrestricted Horner would be bad news. The resulting tell all book would sell well.
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 3:20:51 AM EDT
[#42]
View Quote

Ford is not having it apparently
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 7:25:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: chaas67] [#43]
What technology is ford bringing to the table that Tesla couldn’t?  Would love to see Tesla in F1 for their battery tech in 2026
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 7:54:08 AM EDT
[#44]
IT'S RACE WEEK!
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 10:22:26 AM EDT
[#45]
Finally!
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 10:54:08 AM EDT
[#46]
Don’t forget it’s on Saturday this week!

Going to miss the first part since I’m going to breakfast with some buddies but I’ll watch qualifying Friday evening 😁
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 11:02:09 AM EDT
[#47]

Ford’s statements smell like either very awkward virtue signaling or they are trying to find a way to back out of the deal.
View Quote

Seems like virtue signing to me.  They aren’t really partnering with them until 2026, so there doesn’t seem an obvious need to have it resolved this week, instead of a week for now.  Even if they want to back out, that doesn’t seem to be time critical unless they have a hard go/no commitment coming up in the next few days.
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 11:07:33 AM EDT
[#48]

On #1, it’s not an impossibility that another team is involved….which would eventually bring in the FIA and F1.
On #3, it would take time to lock everything up with NDA’s, settlements, etc. An unrestricted Horner would be bad news. The resulting tell all book would sell well.
View Quote

I don’t see another team being involved, unless it’s Alonso, who’s a known squealer when it benefits him.  Can’t see this being a secret Toto, or any else’s, plot to get rid of Horner or disrupt the team.  Much more likely an internal matter of petty revenge.  My money is on either Jos Verstappen or Marko being behind this.
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 2:50:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Berettadeprived] [#49]
I've just seen this, this is awesome.

[youtube]shorts/Bl0etVsmYr4[/youtube]

It won't show here for some reason. Try this https://www.youtube.com/shorts/Bl0etVsmYr4

https://youtube.com/shorts/Bl0etVsmYr4?si=arHCzQiHHDltN3oH
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 3:14:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Esterhase] [#50]
I'm curious to see how Haas does under Komatsu. He's an engineer, but more importantly, he is Japanese. They have a very different way of doing things. It's Kaizen; lots of small improvements everywhere, rather than trying to find huge improvements in one big champagne burst.

Also all the talk about Alpine is misguided imho; they had the discipline to stick to their run program. It's easy to forget testing isn't a race weekend, because you have all the ingredients of a race weekend. Cameras, live feeds, commentary, but it is a technical exercise. Not a sporting event.
Page / 202
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top