Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 1015 of 5591)
Page / 5591
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Link Posted: 3/11/2022 7:05:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Chokey:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FNmRR80WQAMvJK5?format=jpg&name=medium
View Quote
We really need to get them something to sink a ship.
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 7:06:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By JTF2:

Erdogan per Turkey has to date not sanctioned Russia nor has it closed it's airspace to Russian air planes.  The best you could say of them is that they have been willing to SELL TB2's to Ukraine.  To the best of my knowledge, they have donated/given squat in the way of military aid to Ukraine.  Turkey has also purchased the S-400 air defence system from the Russians against the direct wishes of NATO.   IMHO, Turkey should be told to step up to the plate or be drummed out of NATO and go it alone if the crap hits the fan for them. Turkey at this point wants all of the benefits and very few of the responsibilities re membership in NATO.
View Quote

They have shut off access to Russian warships to be able to get into the Black Sea region. That limits the rooskies to overland resupply. It also may explain why they haven't done an amphibious assault. That and getting one of their ships destroyed by shore-based rocket attack.
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 7:07:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By bigstick61:

The Constitution limits "ships of war" absent Congressional consent, but that's about it.  Whether that extends to armed/naval vessels traditionally considered boats or other vessels not technically ships is an interesting question that hasn't really been tested.  I don't think any Federal laws limiting the States on this matter, such as they may exist, would past constitutional muster before a judiciary consistently faithful to originalist or textualist jurisprudence.  States can and have bought such things for State military forces, it should be noted.  I believe the Feds don't allow stuff provided for NG to be used for State militias. I could see the Feds using their purchasing power with companies that make and sell stuff to prevent sales to States, though.
View Quote
One thing that prevented the rebel colonies from floating a Navy worth a damn is that privateering was vastly more profitable, so it absorbed all the men and materials.  Congress could have banned privateering, or paid the Navy men good and honest prize shares, but it so happened that Congressmen were the biggest investors in the privateers.  We've got a wonderfully corrupt Congress, all we really need is an appropriate program like that to incentivize them.
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 7:12:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By RockMech:
What are the legal limits/bounds on the States buying themselves ordnance and combat systems?  Obviously, they can go buy themselves select-fire weapons and MGs (QED, as several State Police agencies roll with M60s and such, like Texas DPS).  What about mortars, tanks, and combat aircraft?  Can Texas order tanks from GDLS or buy F/A-50s from the Koreans?  Could* the Feds stop them (other than hindering imports, of course)?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
What are the legal limits/bounds on the States buying themselves ordnance and combat systems?  Obviously, they can go buy themselves select-fire weapons and MGs (QED, as several State Police agencies roll with M60s and such, like Texas DPS).  What about mortars, tanks, and combat aircraft?  Can Texas order tanks from GDLS or buy F/A-50s from the Koreans?  Could* the Feds stop them (other than hindering imports, of course)?

State and local governments operate artillery and recoilless rifles for avalanche control.

I don't think there is an issue there.

Best way to do it is have the State Government second some Guard officers and SNCOs ("active" or Retired) to lead the County-level "battalions" and regional "brigades" (i.e. the Battalion CO and Chief NCO, along with a handful of others, are Guardsmen/Retired soldiers....but everyone on down from their is a Volunteer, with or without a military background).  All under the State Adjutant General and the State Military Department (and, thus, the Governor).  That gives proper administration (which is kind of important for training and readiness and such) and accountability, while keeping it from being an overly-red-taped circus.

Of course, you still have to get past the States' historical disdain for the Militia (not having one, but actually paying for one).....and the modern fright of liability (it's a well-understood legal scenario when a State Trooper or Guardsman shoots someone while on duty.....less so for Joe TDF/Militiaman).

The Swiss had 5,000 AD personnel, 15,000 civilians and 600,000 reservists.

Originally Posted By anonimovaca:

What about an expansion of CERT? Community emergency response team, it could just be expanded to include training for other emergencies, like in case a military force was ever needed to respond.

Or how about something like the cost guard auxiliary reserves except with other branches of the military? Have people volunteer and train but not be paid for it. I am sure lots of people would sign up for something like that.

Look at the Norwegians with their Home Guard and Civil Defense, which are separate but complimentary.
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 7:15:52 PM EDT
[#5]

Erdogan per Turkey has to date not sanctioned Russia nor has it closed it's airspace to Russian air planes.  The best you could say of them is that they have been willing to SELL TB2's to Ukraine.  To the best of my knowledge, they have donated/given squat in the way of military aid to Ukraine.  Turkey has also purchased the S-400 air defence system from the Russians against the direct wishes of NATO.   IMHO, Turkey should be told to step up to the plate or be drummed out of NATO and go it alone if the crap hits the fan for them. Turkey at this point wants all of the benefits and very few of the responsibilities re membership in NATO.
View Quote
Turkey actually has a partnership with Ukraine on the TB2. I believe that they licensed it for Ukrainian production before the war, and I think Ukraine helped develop some of the technology for it.  Turkey and Ukraine evidently worked pretty closely with each other on several defense projects for domestic use and foreign government sales.
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 7:20:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 7:20:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By HIMARS13A:

State and local governments operate artillery and recoilless rifles for avalanche control.

Look at the Norwegians with their Home Guard and Civil Defense, which are separate but complimentary.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By HIMARS13A:

Best way to do it is have the State Government second some Guard officers and SNCOs ("active" or Retired) to lead the County-level "battalions" and regional "brigades" (i.e. the Battalion CO and Chief NCO, along with a handful of others, are Guardsmen/Retired soldiers....but everyone on down from their is a Volunteer, with or without a military background).  All under the State Adjutant General and the State Military Department (and, thus, the Governor).  That gives proper administration (which is kind of important for training and readiness and such) and accountability, while keeping it from being an overly-red-taped circus.

Of course, you still have to get past the States' historical disdain for the Militia (not having one, but actually paying for one).....and the modern fright of liability (it's a well-understood legal scenario when a State Trooper or Guardsman shoots someone while on duty.....less so for Joe TDF/Militiaman).

What about an expansion of CERT? Community emergency response team, it could just be expanded to include training for other emergencies, like in case a military force was ever needed to respond.

Or how about something like the cost guard auxiliary reserves except with other branches of the military? Have people volunteer and train but not be paid for it. I am sure lots of people would sign up for something like that.

A lot of different methods to this. you just have to look around and see what works.
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 7:23:45 PM EDT
[#8]

View Quote

They have always been a fucking hard case for NATO. They need to be kept in the fold and on a shorter leash then they think.
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 7:25:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Finslayer83:
View Quote

Zero chance I’d step foot on a battlefield with an IR strobe like that unless I was ABSOLUTELY certain there was no NOD capability on the other side.
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 7:27:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By 6SJ7GT:

A lot of different methods to this. you just have to look around and see what works.
View Quote

No, the hard part is putting it into the American context.
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 7:28:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By kncook:

They are giving Belarus Nukes.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By kncook:

They are giving Belarus Nukes.

I’m sure they will do that under RF control and it will be advertised when most necessary to save themselves from failing at their objectives.
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 7:33:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By W_E_G:
Corporate sponsored war?

YouTube video title:
You’ve Been LIED To About Why Ukraine War Began

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxMVcrvtqqs
View Quote

Stopped halfway. He talks about the past, and asks the viewers to decide whether or not the overthrow of the government was right. That was for Ukraine to decide, not us, and any evidence he presented which suggested that it was somehow our decision are patently false.

Unless, of course, you think that Ukraine is lying about self determination. And therein lies the rub.
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 7:34:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Durka-Durka:
FO Rooster has been spotted, folks.  Looks like he's in a purely advisory position.  

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/388557722796425217/951592261223870564/98GEYpm.png
View Quote

Combat Cock.
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 7:35:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By :
Crimea. Russian air defense shot down Ukrainian Tu-141 Strizh.  This is like one that crashed into Croatia yesterday.

https://t.me/milinfolive/78443

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/122973/Screenshot_from_2022-03-11_09-01-54_png-2309472.JPG
View Quote

Why is there a Red Star on the horizontal stab?
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 7:35:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Kharn:

Your cat/muffler will light up like crazy even on shit-tier Russian thermal optics.

Kharn
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Kharn:
Originally Posted By Walleyeguy24:
These hit and run attacks are just awesome. I hope these Ukrainians have enough sense to get out of dodge after they fire when they are severely outgunned and outnumbered.  Serious question, would some dirtbikes be of any use in this? I can see setting up ambushes, firing, then escaping on dirtbikes. With the lack of any air support, these Russia troops are moving extremely slowly. Being a small, mobile, fast, and ability to move through almost any terrain would seem like a pretty sweet advantage.  Lots of small wood lots from what I can see. A 4 wheeler or dirtbike stashed on the other side of the wood lot would seem to be a pretty sweet getaway vehicle

Your cat/muffler will light up like crazy even on shit-tier Russian thermal optics.

Kharn

Not if it's a zero emissions EV dirt bike!  3D chess...
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 7:38:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4xGM300m] [#16]
Originally Posted By stanprophet09:

Why is there a Red Star on the horizontal stab?
View Quote

Maybe the original Red Star from the Cold War, these things are over 40 years old.

@stanprophet09

Link Posted: 3/11/2022 7:39:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Jocko for President.
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 7:39:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By CS223:

You would have to dig for this info now in paper history books as it gets scrubbed from the web. It was common practice for the able bodied men to show up at church with cap, ball & rifle and their readiness recorded in a ledger much in the same way as donations were. They would be admonished if they were found lacking in their state of readiness.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By CS223:
Originally Posted By Stretchman:

Territorial defense in the US is written into both state and federal law. The biggest debate back in the days of the standing militia was who was going to pay for the weapons. It was eventually resolved when it was decided that the people should buy the weapons themselves. And maintain a cache of ammo. And a uniform. it was to be of the type and caliber of the weapon that the standing army was using, due to procurement.

Sounds like a pretty good idea to me. Imagine thousands of people all showing up with the same type and caliber of weapon your own forces are using, and they have their own kit. Plus, they're on your side, and are authorized by both state and federal law. Of course, they would be obligated to obey the orders of the officers appointed over them, and the governor, who would get his orders from the COC. They would never deploy anywhere outside of their own state, unless federally activated into the National Guard.

They would be fighting for their own.

You would have to dig for this info now in paper history books as it gets scrubbed from the web. It was common practice for the able bodied men to show up at church with cap, ball & rifle and their readiness recorded in a ledger much in the same way as donations were. They would be admonished if they were found lacking in their state of readiness.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_defense_force
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 7:40:35 PM EDT
[#19]
https://i.imgur.com/j1KV2SM.jpeg
View Quote

Come on...

We all know that tractors hunt in packs with their smaller brethrens:

N-LAW, JAVELIN, AND BAYRAKTAR.
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 7:41:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By tnriverluver:

Getcha some!!!
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By tnriverluver:

Getcha some!!!

Looks like they brought their own toys.
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 7:43:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By bigstick61:

One thing that might be worthwhile is automatically enrolling those who leave the NG into the State militia, especially in more technical and leadership positions.
View Quote

Might try the "equipment + cadre" tactic, with the State Military Department maintaining a list of Retired Guard officers and NCOs who volunteered to "volunteer" when the balloon goes up. The State also maintains a supply of arms and ammunition (and basic-basic equipment, like radios, trucks, etc).  When "tensions rise", they call in the cadre volunteers, round up thousands of grunts (either calling for volunteers or conscripting people under the Governor's authority to call out the Militia), start issuing weapons and forming units.
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 7:44:23 PM EDT
[#22]

View Quote

Hope we get a chance to order a few sheets of those stamps if/when they make em.
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 7:46:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By FREEFALLE7:
View All Quotes

They sunk that ship with a grad.
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 7:47:02 PM EDT
[#24]

View Quote

You could probably get all the benefits of a shooty-shooty TDF by standing up an "Civil Defense Force" that had some basic rifle training, but mostly focused on things like rescue, relief, forest fires (though leaving most of the real firefighting to the actual firefighters, etc), emergency radio comms, evacuation, etc.  Kind of like the German THW.

Once you've got a force of trained volunteers with clear paramilitary command structures......if world events turn poor, you can always issue them M16s and emphasize the "Defense" in "Civil Defense".
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 7:49:04 PM EDT
[#25]
View Quote

Do they really leave those shoot me beacons on all the time?
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 7:51:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By RattleCanAR:

View All Quotes

I thought they had Neptune Missiles?
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 7:51:16 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By PurpleOtter:
They invoked the Montreux Convention and closed the Bosporus and Dardanelles to warships.
View All Quotes

They invoked the Montreux Convention and closed the Bosporus and Dardanelles to warships.

They said they did.  I doubt they would stop a Russian ship from passing though.
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 7:53:48 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By ludder093:
View Quote
They might but it was a grad strike that got the ship.
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 7:53:49 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By elcope:

Well worth the 30 min to watch.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By elcope:
Originally Posted By Mal_means_bad:
@Zhukov Have you read any Peter Zeihan?  He's spent the past decade writing a series of books and making many, many presentations about the history of the Global Order (America Police guaranteeing free trade, aka Globalism), why it's folding up shop, and how there'd be a wildfire of regional wars and enormous power shifts following it.  We are living in the post America Police/smoldering wildfires are igniting/power is shifting fast stage right now.  He's a demographic/geographic determinist who backs up his theories with reams of data.  He's not always right on the micro level but I think he's got the broad outline nailed.  He's got a higher opinion of the Russian military than I can currently credit them, I guess we'll see about that. And he didn't predict the instant global cancellation of the Russia economy IIRC.  His books are interesting and there's a thousand videos of his presentations on Youtube.  His opinion has been rapidly becoming more mainstream, he just gave a presentation at Fort Benning.

He recently freaked out this professional financial news reporter about four times in half an hour:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bq75Av59-YU

Well worth the 30 min to watch.

Yes, it is. Some very thought provoking stuff in there.

"We are living in the post America Police/smoldering wildfires are igniting/power is shifting fast stage right now."

That actually makes a lot of sense and explains the global craziness we are seeing. Hell, America doesn't even want police on it's own streets these days.
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 7:54:15 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By BerettaGuy:

No they are not giving Belarus nukes. Russia is stationing their nukes in Belarus  - big difference.
View Quote
Ukraine might need the tractor BDE to secure a few nukes
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 7:55:06 PM EDT
[#31]
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 7:55:12 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By MBUZICHOMA:

They said they did.  I doubt they would stop a Russian ship from passing though.
View All Quotes

Turkey rejects Russia's request for navy ships to pass Bosporus
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 7:55:16 PM EDT
[#33]
https://asbarez.com/turkey-deploys-syrian-jihadists-to-aid-ukraine-against-russia/
A number of media sources are claiming Turkey has sent 2500 jihadists who are veterans of the Syrian conflict and war in Armenia, into Ukraine to fight against Russia.
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 7:55:41 PM EDT
[#34]
View All Quotes

Look it up.

The did the math for a grid, lured the ship, got the timing right and overwhelmed the ship.  It took a while but it burned and sank.
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 7:56:47 PM EDT
[#35]

View Quote

Russia wouldn’t want to break it as it would mean the US could put anything they wanted in the Black Sea.
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 7:56:53 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 7:57:18 PM EDT
[#37]
LIVE | Russian Invasion Of Ukraine | Situation Room | INDB | #Kyiv #Ukraine #War
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 7:58:20 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By GLHX2112:

Hope we get a chance to order a few sheets of those stamps if/when they make em.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By GLHX2112:

there is the link to the other stamps (yeah, it's book of faces.)

https://www.facebook.com/ukrposhta/photos/pcb.4970728059640475/4970593199653961/

I like these two also.

Link Posted: 3/11/2022 7:59:51 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 8:00:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Parabellum08] [#40]
…..
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 8:01:15 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 8:01:28 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Zhukov:
Has anyone heard of what's going on in Russia for the average folks as far as their daily routine is concerned? I asked the same question a few days ago and someone pointed out a guy from Russia saying all the stuff that's been banned, but I wonder how it's affecting the guy on the street - or is it too early in the process to notice much difference?

View Quote

Too soon for real affect. So they could t find what they wanted in the store this week. It’s not as big a problem until they can’t find it all month….
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 8:02:16 PM EDT
[#43]

View Quote

Beautiful!

Where can we buy some?
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 8:04:30 PM EDT
[#44]
Has anyone heard of what's going on in Russia for the average folks as far as their daily routine is concerned? I asked the same question a few days ago and someone pointed out a guy from Russia saying all the stuff that's been banned, but I wonder how it's affecting the guy on the street - or is it too early in the process to notice much difference?

View Quote

Too soon for anything major besides blocked internet stuff. The real pain is yet to come.
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 8:04:55 PM EDT
[#45]

@CornfieldCong this may help you get squared away even faster.
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 8:06:14 PM EDT
[#46]
Violinists Across the World Play for Ukraine
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 8:06:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 74HC] [#47]
View All Quotes

Yeah, but I consider that to be a primarily pro-Russian move since Russia already has a Black Sea fleet.

The real question is whether Turkey, being a NATO member, would deny passage of a NATO ship.
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 8:08:58 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Sokarul:

Russia wouldn't want to break it as it would mean the US could put anything they wanted in the Black Sea.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Sokarul:

Russia wouldn't want to break it as it would mean the US could put anything they wanted in the Black Sea.

Right, despite the way Erdogan often acts, Turkey is still a NATO member.

A violation of Turkey's right to control the straits would allow NATO to become further involved. The Russian Black Sea fleet would stand little chance against a CSG.
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 8:12:58 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By M-1975:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQSIeD-x6dQ
View Quote

Russians are fucked now.
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 8:13:51 PM EDT
[#50]

View Quote
Hopefully they are waiting in bread lines.
Page / 5591
OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 1015 of 5591)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top