Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 1016 of 5591)
Page / 5591
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Link Posted: 3/11/2022 8:14:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Miracle_Pants] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 74HC:
Yeah, but I consider that to be a primarily pro-Russian move since Russia already has a Black Sea fleet.

The real question is whether Turkey, being a NATO member, would deny passage of a NATO ship.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By PurpleOtter:
Originally Posted By JTF2:

Erdogan per Turkey has to date not sanctioned Russia nor has it closed it's airspace to Russian air planes.  The best you could say of them is that they have been willing to SELL TB2's to Ukraine.  To the best of my knowledge, they have donated/given squat in the way of military aid to Ukraine.  Turkey has also purchased the S-400 air defence system from the Russians against the direct wishes of NATO.   IMHO, Turkey should be told to step up to the plate or be drummed out of NATO and go it alone if the crap hits the fan for them. Turkey at this point wants all of the benefits and very few of the responsibilities re membership in NATO.
They invoked the Montreux Convention and closed the Bosporus and Dardanelles to warships.
Yeah, but I consider that to be a primarily pro-Russian move since Russia already has a Black Sea fleet.

The real question is whether Turkey, being a NATO member, would deny passage of a NATO ship.

CSG-8 is currently in the Adriatic. I'm not exactly an expert on Naval weaponry or anything but I would be surprised if the air wings and cruise missiles couldn't hit everything in the Black Sea if wanted.
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 8:15:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By RockMech:

You could probably get all the benefits of a shooty-shooty TDF by standing up an "Civil Defense Force" that had some basic rifle training, but mostly focused on things like rescue, relief, forest fires (though leaving most of the real firefighting to the actual firefighters, etc), emergency radio comms, evacuation, etc.  Kind of like the German THW.

Once you've got a force of trained volunteers with clear paramilitary command structures......if world events turn poor, you can always issue them M16s and emphasize the "Defense" in "Civil Defense".
View Quote

Basic duties would be perimeter guard, logistics, hard point defense, ( since we can't all have javelins and stuff ) some recce work, or simple observation and reporting. Plus, they would deal in comms coordination, loading and unloading of supplies, Tactical emergency care, janitorial stuff, and probably mortuary services. So, basically, they would be training to do the heavy lifting and ease the burden of the real first responders to respond to stuff they could do something about. It also frees up the cooks to cook, mechanics to wrench, ad nauseum.

In order to truly understand how it works, an ICS course and a TECC course would be appropriate. Also, in order to properly manage comms and net protocols, having a ham license is a great way to get training. Other stuff could be handled mostly by checklists. There's so much information to pass that having a checklist is the easiest way to ensure proper formatting, because messages will be retransmitted up the chain, and you want them solid when they get to their destination.

Their primary purpose would be to not engage with hostile forces, since it would be better to remain undetected and relay information to the big guns. But if they are armed, all the better. 100 extra guns and interlocking fire with firing stakes and a whole of of relatively untrained people could definitely hold a line if necessary.
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 8:18:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Yobro512:

Zero chance I’d step foot on a battlefield with an IR strobe like that unless I was ABSOLUTELY certain there was no NOD capability on the other side.
View Quote

It was posted about a week ago in this thread that the Russians do not use NODs amongst their general troops. That’s probably why these guys are rocking IR.
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 8:18:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Chokey:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FNmRR80WQAMvJK5?format=jpg&name=medium
View Quote
Where do we purchase these stamps?
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 8:18:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By SilverLightning:

Russians are fucked now.
View Quote

It was a fundraiser to help Ukrainian refugees.
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 8:19:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Miracle_Pants:

CSG-8 is currently in the Adriatic. I'm not exactly an expert on Naval weaponry or anything but I would be surprised if the air wings and cruise missiles couldn't hit everything in the Black Sea if wanted.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By JTF2:

Erdogan per Turkey has to date not sanctioned Russia nor has it closed it's airspace to Russian air planes.  The best you could say of them is that they have been willing to SELL TB2's to Ukraine.  To the best of my knowledge, they have donated/given squat in the way of military aid to Ukraine.  Turkey has also purchased the S-400 air defence system from the Russians against the direct wishes of NATO.   IMHO, Turkey should be told to step up to the plate or be drummed out of NATO and go it alone if the crap hits the fan for them. Turkey at this point wants all of the benefits and very few of the responsibilities re membership in NATO.
They invoked the Montreux Convention and closed the Bosporus and Dardanelles to warships.

The violence of action that CSG could unleash against every Russian naval asset in the eastern Mediterranean and Black Sea if given the order to attack would be mind blowing.
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 8:20:04 PM EDT
[#7]

Not bad but it needs flames
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 8:20:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Zhukov:
Has anyone heard of what's going on in Russia for the average folks as far as their daily routine is concerned? I asked the same question a few days ago and someone pointed out a guy from Russia saying all the stuff that's been banned, but I wonder how it's affecting the guy on the street - or is it too early in the process to notice much difference?

View Quote

This is a good channel for the info you seek.

https://youtube.com/channel/UCZpOAIs1gWV76SEuzfGgG8w
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 8:20:45 PM EDT
[#9]

Right, despite the way Erdogan often acts, Turkey is still a NATO member.

A violation of Turkey's right to control the straits would allow NATO to become further involved. The Russian Black Sea fleet would stand little chance against a CSG.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Sokarul:
Originally Posted By MBUZICHOMA:

They said they did.  I doubt they would stop a Russian ship from passing though.

Russia wouldn't want to break it as it would mean the US could put anything they wanted in the Black Sea.

Right, despite the way Erdogan often acts, Turkey is still a NATO member.

A violation of Turkey's right to control the straits would allow NATO to become further involved. The Russian Black Sea fleet would stand little chance against a CSG.
Only matters if NATO still exists.  Russia has a lot of leverage on Germany, and Turkey.
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 8:20:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dillydilly] [#10]
Has anyone heard of what's going on in Russia for the average folks as far as their daily routine is concerned? I asked the same question a few days ago and someone pointed out a guy from Russia saying all the stuff that's been banned, but I wonder how it's affecting the guy on the street - or is it too early in the process to notice much difference?

View Quote

This one too.

https://youtube.com/c/MultiNfz
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 8:21:46 PM EDT
[#11]
this is great and all, but sign the Constitutional Carry Bill already.

Link Posted: 3/11/2022 8:22:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By dillydilly:

View All Quotes

Been watching that channel.  Pretty good info.
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 8:22:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Durka-Durka:
FO Rooster has been spotted, folks.  Looks like he's in a purely advisory position.  

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/388557722796425217/951592261223870564/98GEYpm.png
View Quote
The starving Russians eat FO chicken. Run chicken run!
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 8:24:30 PM EDT
[#14]

It was posted about a week ago in this thread that the Russians do not use NODs amongst their general troops. That's probably why these guys are rocking IR.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Yobro512:

Zero chance I'd step foot on a battlefield with an IR strobe like that unless I was ABSOLUTELY certain there was no NOD capability on the other side.

It was posted about a week ago in this thread that the Russians do not use NODs amongst their general troops. That's probably why these guys are rocking IR.

Russia has no vehicles equipped with night vision? OK I get not every grunt not having them but I just can believe they don't have some type of NV equipment.

If this is true the Russian military is the biggest joke on the planet.

Link Posted: 3/11/2022 8:25:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By tnriverluver:

Getcha some!!!
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By tnriverluver:
Originally Posted By Finslayer83:

Getcha some!!!
Flying the pirate colors
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 8:26:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PurpleOtter] [#16]
I swear to god they must be reading ARFCOM!

Russia's bioweapon conspiracy theory finds support in US

Russia's baseless claims about secret American biological warfare labs in Ukraine are taking root in the U.S. too, uniting COVID-19 conspiracy theorists, QAnon adherents and some supporters of ex-President Donald Trump.

Despite rebuttals from independent scientists, Ukrainian leaders and officials at the White House and Pentagon, the online popularity of the claims suggests some Americans are willing to trust Kremlin propaganda over the U.S. media and government.

View Quote

Link Posted: 3/11/2022 8:29:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Attachment Attached File

note found in the volunteer aid package: “Take care of your dicks, guys! We should be making more Cossacks after this! - Girls from Antalya”
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 8:30:20 PM EDT
[#18]

View Quote

Furthermore, Russia had already moved a lot of ships from the Baltics into the black sea before they made this call. This move was made too late to make much of a difference.
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 8:33:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By HecklerKoch_USP:

Furthermore, Russia had already moved a lot of ships from the Baltics into the black sea before they made this call. This move was made too late to make much of a difference.
View All Quotes

Turkey had no grounds,by convention,to stop them before hostilities.
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 8:33:21 PM EDT
[#20]

View All Quotes

As I understand, per the Montreux Convention it couldn't be closed before hostilities.
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 8:36:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By bigstick61:

Anywhere else we can see this stuff?  Doesn't work for those of us who don't use twitter.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By bigstick61:
Originally Posted By M-1975:

Holy shit show...

Anywhere else we can see this stuff?  Doesn't work for those of us who don't use twitter.
It looks like they start bailing out of the IFVs and one in the back runs over one of its own guys leg. You can see they are trying to drag him.
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 8:36:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Azygos:

If not, they seem awfully confident that the Russians don’t have any passive night vision.
View Quote

Night vision is passive...  
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 8:37:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Bassgasm:

Meanwhile, in Russia, the meteor has HIT. Their currency has lost nearly all its value, they're disconnected from international banking systems, their goods can no longer be sold in most of the world, and most of the world is no longer willing to sell them anything. They are good and properly fucked on a multi-generational level. The Great Depression was a minor, industry-specific slump compared to what the Russians are about to go through. It's going to take a bit for the poison to sink in to their economy, but a fatal dose has been administered.
View Quote

this
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 8:38:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By elcope:

Well worth the 30 min to watch.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By elcope:
Originally Posted By Mal_means_bad:
@Zhukov Have you read any Peter Zeihan?  He's spent the past decade writing a series of books and making many, many presentations about the history of the Global Order (America Police guaranteeing free trade, aka Globalism), why it's folding up shop, and how there'd be a wildfire of regional wars and enormous power shifts following it.  We are living in the post America Police/smoldering wildfires are igniting/power is shifting fast stage right now.  He's a demographic/geographic determinist who backs up his theories with reams of data.  He's not always right on the micro level but I think he's got the broad outline nailed.  He's got a higher opinion of the Russian military than I can currently credit them, I guess we'll see about that. And he didn't predict the instant global cancellation of the Russia economy IIRC.  His books are interesting and there's a thousand videos of his presentations on Youtube.  His opinion has been rapidly becoming more mainstream, he just gave a presentation at Fort Benning.

He recently freaked out this professional financial news reporter about four times in half an hour:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bq75Av59-YU

Well worth the 30 min to watch.

Yep. Peter also has some interesting insights about China....

Link Posted: 3/11/2022 8:38:20 PM EDT
[#25]

Link Posted: 3/11/2022 8:38:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By CPT1-285TH:

The violence of action that CSG could unleash against every Russian naval asset in the eastern Mediterranean and Black Sea if given the order to attack would be mind blowing.
View Quote

I really do think it would be beyond most people's comprehension.
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 8:39:15 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Haub:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FNmhWyDXoAEMdzG?format=jpg&name=medium
View Quote

After the first war crime the rest are free.
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 8:39:23 PM EDT
[#28]

View All Quotes

Russia's baseless claims about secret American biological warfare labs in Ukraine are taking root in the U.S. too, uniting morons, Russian trolls and the mentally ill COVID-19 conspiracy theorists, QAnon adherents and some supporters of ex-President Donald Trump.

Despite rebuttals from independent scientists, Ukrainian leaders and officials at the White House and Pentagon, the online popularity of the claims suggests the easily fooled some Americans are willing to trust Kremlin propaganda over the U.S. media and government.

Link Posted: 3/11/2022 8:40:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: OKnativeson] [#29]
Originally Posted By TripleC:

Russia has no vehicles equipped with night vision? OK I get not every grunt not having them but I just can believe they don't have some type of NV equipment.

If this is true the Russian military is the biggest joke on the planet.

View Quote

we have dudes in OK and TX hunting hogs at night with better equipment than a country with nukes. we are finding out just how poorly equiped the Soviets are.

but they just started wearing socks a few years ago.
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 8:41:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CZ75_9MM] [#30]
Originally Posted By RickJames1999:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By RickJames1999:
Originally Posted By Azygos:

If not, they seem awfully confident that the Russians don't have any passive night vision.

They would probably have to dig out that old night vision that causes cancer.
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 8:42:49 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By OKnativeson:

we have dudes in OK and TX hunting hogs at night with better equipment than a country with nukes. we are finding out just how poorly equiped the Soviets are.

but they just started wearing socks a few years ago.
View Quote

I bet their nukes are fucking slim to none.
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 8:44:14 PM EDT
[#32]

View Quote

I do really wonder how many would blow in their tubes.
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 8:44:55 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Haub:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FNmhWyDXoAEMdzG?format=jpg&name=medium
View Quote

Expecting the Russians to fight by the LOAC is a fool's gambit.
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 8:45:12 PM EDT
[#34]
Seen this yet?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 8:45:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Theodoric] [#35]

View Quote
I'm not at all interested in finding out.
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 8:50:53 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Theodoric:
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Theodoric:

It is suicide for him and his country if he uses them. He isn't going to use them.
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 8:51:12 PM EDT
[#37]

View Quote

Go t Spotify and there's a daily podcast called Ukrainecast.  They've been bringing in guests from different walks of life to get a sense of what its like on the ground.  A few days ago they had a russian lady on who said everything is mostly normal, minus a few things here and there they can't get.  That was about 5 days ago, however, and much has changed.
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 8:51:31 PM EDT
[#38]

Eh. We'll see.
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 8:51:36 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 8:53:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Photographic] [#40]

What are the legal limits/bounds on the States buying themselves ordnance and combat systems?  Obviously, they can go buy themselves select-fire weapons and MGs (QED, as several State Police agencies roll with M60s and such, like Texas DPS).  What about mortars, tanks, and combat aircraft?  Can Texas order tanks from GDLS or buy F/A-50s from the Koreans?  Could* the Feds stop them (other than hindering imports, of course)?

*-obviously, the Federal government could tell GDLS that their contracts might be imperiled if they sold M1A2s to Texas.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By HIMARS13A:

Territorial Defense Forces would be a state function in the US, and no state wants to pay for it, but there is no reason that they couldn't create one and arm it from their own funds with pretty much any weapons they want.

What are the legal limits/bounds on the States buying themselves ordnance and combat systems?  Obviously, they can go buy themselves select-fire weapons and MGs (QED, as several State Police agencies roll with M60s and such, like Texas DPS).  What about mortars, tanks, and combat aircraft?  Can Texas order tanks from GDLS or buy F/A-50s from the Koreans?  Could* the Feds stop them (other than hindering imports, of course)?

*-obviously, the Federal government could tell GDLS that their contracts might be imperiled if they sold M1A2s to Texas.

Sounds like a lot of people are now embracing SDF/State Guard units- or at least if they were what they are supposed to be, not neutered into “emergency management”

ETA: yep, all of this “a unit run by states, trained in comms, HAM, used to pull guard duty, natural disasters”. This is nothing new. The problem with them now, is the state government doesn’t fund them let alone equip them, and so they’re trained on menial tasks which they are rarely ever called up to do. A lot of gung-ho types who would love to do what Los being talked about but for PR reasons aren’t allowed, equipped (there is virtually no equipment save for some laptops and printers), or trained to do so.
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 8:54:20 PM EDT
[#41]
Global Hawk visible in the air for the first time in several days. Almost all the other mil air assets just went dark.
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 8:55:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Chokey] [#42]
Originally Posted By CS223:
Global Hawk visible in the air for the first time in several days. Almost all the other mil air assets just went dark.
View Quote

it's been over the Black Sea most of the day

https://www.flightradar24.com/FORTE10/2b199b01
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 8:57:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cryo_tech] [#43]
View Quote

A captain is a platoon leader? Thats a job for a butter bar
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 8:59:39 PM EDT
[#44]

View Quote
Does Flightradar24 have a way to filter out commercial traffic like adsb exchange?
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 9:00:31 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By cryo_tech:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By cryo_tech:

They don't have an NCO corps like we do to run stuff in the platoon so I assume Lts are doing that sort of work.
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 9:01:25 PM EDT
[#46]

View Quote
The soldiers may not but vehicles do.
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 9:01:57 PM EDT
[#47]
Does Flightradar24 have a way to filter out commercial traffic like adsb exchange?
View All Quotes

nope
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 9:02:10 PM EDT
[#48]
View Quote

I guess he is not the captain now.
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 9:02:56 PM EDT
[#49]

The Russians know how to fuck up nuclear plants and that plant proves it.

The other reactors there ran for a while after the accident but I think they are cold now. It would not take much to cause more problems there and it is any easy target because it will raise fear but the area is already devoid of people.
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 9:03:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Durka-Durka] [#50]

If you're going to hit an area with a tactical nuke to show the enemy and the world you're crazy/stupid enough to do it (but you really aren't, you're just posturing) hitting that area would be the safest bet.  (ETA: I have no knowledge on nukes, just spitballing)
Page / 5591
OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 1016 of 5591)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top