Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 1027 of 5591)
Page / 5591
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Link Posted: 3/12/2022 11:42:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/12/2022 11:44:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/12/2022 11:44:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/12/2022 11:45:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By rca2222:

At this point what does the golden bridge look like? Putin has to be able to save face.

FWIW, I still believe that this invasion happened because there was no way for him to back off without losing face. I think he wanted to make Crimea official, along with the Donbass region, but the west and Ukraine offered resistance that he hadn't planned for. He likely thought that he would have gotten what he wanted purely through intimidation. "The mighty Russian military has terrified the Ukrainian Nazis and liberated our ethnic Russian brothers without ever firing a shot" would have made him a hero at home, with no military losses to explain and no exposure of his military's actual capability.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Nailcrusher:
Originally Posted By HIPPO:
Originally Posted By outofbattery:
Russia said that ships carrying weapons to Ukraine would be considered legitimate military targets. I assume this is a ploy to try to get merchant ships scared to sail,I can't see them being stupid enough to do something like trying to sink a freighter in the North Sea or Med they came to the conclusion was carrying weapons.

Every day that passes without a Russian flag over Kyiv the greater the chances Putin behaves even more irrationally so I honestly wouldn't discount the possibility of anything,including something to provoke NATO.

Agree. Putin is painting himself into a coffin corner w/o someone giving him a big fucking off ramp.

And that's what makes this situation so dangerous to the world.
Cornering a powerful, desperate man might cause him to do unthinkable things.

At this point what does the golden bridge look like? Putin has to be able to save face.

FWIW, I still believe that this invasion happened because there was no way for him to back off without losing face. I think he wanted to make Crimea official, along with the Donbass region, but the west and Ukraine offered resistance that he hadn't planned for. He likely thought that he would have gotten what he wanted purely through intimidation. "The mighty Russian military has terrified the Ukrainian Nazis and liberated our ethnic Russian brothers without ever firing a shot" would have made him a hero at home, with no military losses to explain and no exposure of his military's actual capability.

I can agree with that. Now this has reached a point where it’s become less likely for Putin to be hailed as that national hero. And that’s the question that needs answering. Even if he was to “defeat” Ukraine, the resulting insurgency would drag on forever. How long is Russia prepared to suffer that slow bleed?
Link Posted: 3/12/2022 11:46:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Zhukov:

Holy cow. Mind = blown.

The stuff around 44 minutes was super enlightening.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Cobradriver:

I just got done watching his Ft. Benning presentation. Jesus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0CQsifJrMc

It's an hour but worth it.

Holy cow. Mind = blown.

It is definitely worth the time to watch.
Link Posted: 3/12/2022 11:47:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Ryan_Scott:

Missouri not New York.

Dougout Doug passed the Chinese red line, got his ass kicked and wanted to kill millions of people to recover from that. I will never understand where his reputation comes from.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Ryan_Scott:
Originally Posted By USMCTanker:

MacArthur was a better general officer than Truman (the former NYARNG FA Officer who was “elected” to be a battery commander) was president.  General MacArthur wanted to leverage our superior military technology and combat power against an adversary to win a major conflict.  

What an amazing concept…

No wonder he is so maligned in American history classes.

Missouri not New York.

Dougout Doug passed the Chinese red line, got his ass kicked and wanted to kill millions of people to recover from that. I will never understand where his reputation comes from.

Yea Elcope already corrected me.  I was thinking NY for some reason, even though my dad's side of the family are all from "Missourah" and talked about Truman being from their beloved state when I was growing up.

Macarthur's reputation comes from at least his overwhelming success turning the Korean War around from one defeat after another from June to September 1950, to driving the North Koreans damn near all the way up to the Yalu after Inchon (an operation everyone told him couldn't be done).  You could blame him for a lack of readiness in June, but the post-WWII Army was hollowed out and there wasn't much he could do about the lack of combat power available to him in Japan when the war broke out in June.      

Looking back, we could have used atomic weapons in Manchuria to end the war without significant risk to our own or UN forces and there wasn't a damn thing China or the USSR could have done about it other than bleed; neither of those two countries had the ability to retaliate with nuclear weapons in the winter of 1950-1951.  It would have set a precedent with our communist adversaries for decades.

Now North Korea has ICBMs, does have or will have SLBMs, China has a credible strategic nuclear capability that's probably greater than they admit to, and Russia is threatening the west with a nuclear response if we oppose Putin's illegal, immoral, and barbaric invasion of a sovereign nation that stood by us during GWOT, and is threatening to do the same to our NATO allies in the region.  When will we learn?

War is too important to be left to the politicians.  

Link Posted: 3/12/2022 11:47:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BerettaGuy] [#7]
Kyiv Volunteers Get Last-Minute Training On Powerful Anti-Tank Weapons
Link Posted: 3/12/2022 11:48:11 AM EDT
[#8]

Holy cow. Mind = blown.

View All Quotes

Holy cow. Mind = blown.

I'm watching this right now. It's *really* good. I'm sharing this with my work tech/exec team on Monday.
Link Posted: 3/12/2022 11:49:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By nickmemphis:
Macarthur got his reputation early on and he kept it by mostly having it, so the reputation became more valuable than what the reputation was supposedly for. It's kind of a cult of personality version of too big to fail. IMO. From the chairborne historian regiment.
View Quote

Chairborne here also, but wasn't he sort of "born" with a reputation because of his father or grandfather, a MOH winner ? That and his stellar record at West Point.
Link Posted: 3/12/2022 11:52:52 AM EDT
[#10]

I know what an Antonov 26 is. While there is some similarity in configuration and they can have either jump seats or passenger seats,Q400s and ATRs don't have cargo ramps:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/56204/F9A7B61D-1A1E-4A86-BA55-7CB56B52AE5F_jpe-2310633.JPG
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 74HC:

It's a twin engine turbo prop with seats.  Much like those small regional airlines we have.

I know what an Antonov 26 is. While there is some similarity in configuration and they can have either jump seats or passenger seats,Q400s and ATRs don't have cargo ramps:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/56204/F9A7B61D-1A1E-4A86-BA55-7CB56B52AE5F_jpe-2310633.JPG

Airport is too small for NATO transport aircraft, and I've never seen them fly in there in the past.  Looks like it was a fighter airbase back in the days, and now a small passenger terminal on the south west side of the field.  The bunkers for the fighters are still there, but look to be in poor, unmaintained shape.

So these three planes are flying people.  If it was transport of military gear, it would be in another airport.  Also, giving Poland's desire to want Ukrainian pilots to fly those MIGs out of their airspace, I doubt they would give permission for mUkrainian transport planes to fly this deep into Polish air space.  This is near the German border.  Probably was once part of Germany at one time.

Link Posted: 3/12/2022 11:53:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Landsat8:
Pot heads gonna pot head
View Quote

His own country is being invaded and his countrymen along with women and children are being killed, and all he can think of is which country he can run away to so he can smoke weed legally.

Useless human beings.
Link Posted: 3/12/2022 11:54:39 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By planemaker:

India already terminated a joint fighter aircraft development with Russia. Given how poorly Russian gear seems to be performing against western weaponry, India is likely to start shopping elsewhere.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By spydercomonkey:
Originally Posted By MattyCR:
Originally Posted By TheLurker:
Originally Posted By FrankyRay:
Originally Posted By Durka-Durka:
Originally Posted By sq40:
Originally Posted By elcope:
Originally Posted By Mal_means_bad:
@Zhukov Have you read any Peter Zeihan?  He's spent the past decade writing a series of books and making many, many presentations about the history of the Global Order (America Police guaranteeing free trade, aka Globalism), why it's folding up shop, and how there'd be a wildfire of regional wars and enormous power shifts following it.  We are living in the post America Police/smoldering wildfires are igniting/power is shifting fast stage right now.  He's a demographic/geographic determinist who backs up his theories with reams of data.  He's not always right on the micro level but I think he's got the broad outline nailed.  He's got a higher opinion of the Russian military than I can currently credit them, I guess we'll see about that. And he didn't predict the instant global cancellation of the Russia economy IIRC.  His books are interesting and there's a thousand videos of his presentations on Youtube.  His opinion has been rapidly becoming more mainstream, he just gave a presentation at Fort Benning.

He recently freaked out this professional financial news reporter about four times in half an hour:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bq75Av59-YU

Well worth the 30 min to watch.

Yes, it is. Some very thought provoking stuff in there.

"We are living in the post America Police/smoldering wildfires are igniting/power is shifting fast stage right now."

That actually makes a lot of sense and explains the global craziness we are seeing. Hell, America doesn't even want police on it's own streets these days.

I heard him on an interview last night. He said Russia has 4-8 weeks left to end this conflict or Russia will completely collapse because of sanctions.

Which begs the question: What happens if they stop?  Does the world just go back to normal?  Will the world end up trying to compensate to make russia stable again?

Putin isn't going to stop. He wants to crush Ukraine.

I think this whole World-Gangs-Up-On-Big-Bad-Leader frenzy may have put something in motion that no one really knows what to do with. As Peter says in that video, "The sanctions surprised EVERYONE."

As far as Russia collapsing in 4-8 weeks... I wouldn't be surprised to see them pull some kind of diabolical rabbit out of a hat that lets them stay afloat.

What does Russia have left that can keep them afloat economically? Oil? That's dead and about 20 years from restarting. Wheat? No one will insure anyone to ship it. What else do they have?  Russia is already dead, they just don't know it yet

All of their Nat Gas exports to europe are still intact. As are their exports to China. They also still have decent weapon sales to India and other countries.

Their economy is taking a massive hit but its incorrect to say they have no money coming in.

Their NG exports are intact FOR NOW.  Id expect those pipelines to looking like a bay area PG&E mishap x1000 if or when Russia has taken military control of UKR and the hardcore insurgency/sabotage fighting ramps up

They cant sell to India if they can neither build nor cash checks for military

Exports to China may be moot if they cant even maintain a workforce to export shit.  

I also question what countries want to buy when they are seeing how poorly it works by the builders of it.

Russia can still be paid; many of their banks are not under sanction, and even then there are workarounds.

Iran and North Korea - far less capable and resource rich countries then Russia - are still able to generate money and build military equipment.

https://www.bourseandbazaar.com/articles/2022/2/28/iran-russia-and-the-limits-of-financial-war

In terms of Russian equipment not working; eh. We're seeing a lot of poorly maintained shit break down, and we're seeing that a whole shitload of Russias military budget has likely been straight up stolen, which paired with poor morale has hollowed out their forces.

But the weapons themselves seem to be working fine. The ballistic and cruise missiles for example are hitting their targets and fucking shit up. The MLRS is working plenty well. Small arms obviously work. Hellicopters and Jets seem to work fine, just rather bizzarely employed (using jets at low alitude manpad range, for example.)

Their tanks and BMPs are being blown up left and right...but I suspect US/NATO/Chinese tanks would also be rapidly destroyed by Javelins as well.

The only weapon that really seems to be shitting the bed is their air defense assets against the TB2 drones.

A country like India looking to achieve a 'strategic independence' from China or the US has pretty limited other options for foreign weapon sales. Russia is the clear leader there, with countries like Israel and possibly South Korea being alternatives for some systems.

India already terminated a joint fighter aircraft development with Russia. Given how poorly Russian gear seems to be performing against western weaponry, India is likely to start shopping elsewhere.

Didn’t India back out of that deal once already?
Link Posted: 3/12/2022 11:55:19 AM EDT
[#13]
Do they have an escape hatch on the bottom?

Link Posted: 3/12/2022 11:56:40 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By agillig:
Jesus said when you pray, you shouldn't make a big show of it.  I guess she missed that part.
View All Quotes
For those that don't know,Schrder is the German who sold his country's soul for Russian oil and gas. He is the definition of a paid off stooge. The only worse politician I can think of in terms of taking totalitarian money for more detriment is Kissinger.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/56204/19FA06D1-BA20-4583-AB29-40CC7D597A3F_jpe-2310480.JPG
Jesus said when you pray, you shouldn't make a big show of it.  I guess she missed that part.

Matthew 6:5-6

And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.
Link Posted: 3/12/2022 12:00:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By x248716x:

i'm wondering why the russian forces in Belarus haven't moved south into western Ukraine to try to throttle that resupply.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By hondaciv:

Ah, yes, the yappy small dog approach to foreign relations. Hey Vlad, your crack troops are getting their asses handed to them by western weaponry. If you could have cut off the supply, you would have already. STFU and take your losses.

i'm wondering why the russian forces in Belarus haven't moved south into western Ukraine to try to throttle that resupply.

Either they haven't been told to or they're afraid to. If you were in Belarus, well fed and warm, would you be chomping at the bit to go run headlong into getting creamed?
Link Posted: 3/12/2022 12:04:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Balu:

View All Quotes
For those that don't know,Schrder is the German who sold his country's soul for Russian oil and gas. He is the definition of a paid off stooge. The only worse politician I can think of in terms of taking totalitarian money for more detriment is Kissinger.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/56204/19FA06D1-BA20-4583-AB29-40CC7D597A3F_jpe-2310480.JPG

And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/12/2022 12:05:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Parabellum08:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Parabellum08:
Originally Posted By MattyCR:
Originally Posted By TheLurker:
@Zhukov Have you read any Peter Zeihan?  He's spent the past decade writing a series of books and making many, many presentations about the history of the Global Order (America Police guaranteeing free trade, aka Globalism), why it's folding up shop, and how there'd be a wildfire of regional wars and enormous power shifts following it.  We are living in the post America Police/smoldering wildfires are igniting/power is shifting fast stage right now.  He's a demographic/geographic determinist who backs up his theories with reams of data.  He's not always right on the micro level but I think he's got the broad outline nailed.  He's got a higher opinion of the Russian military than I can currently credit them, I guess we'll see about that. And he didn't predict the instant global cancellation of the Russia economy IIRC.  His books are interesting and there's a thousand videos of his presentations on Youtube.  His opinion has been rapidly becoming more mainstream, he just gave a presentation at Fort Benning.

He recently freaked out this professional financial news reporter about four times in half an hour:

"We are living in the post America Police/smoldering wildfires are igniting/power is shifting fast stage right now."

That actually makes a lot of sense and explains the global craziness we are seeing. Hell, America doesn't even want police on it's own streets these days.

I heard him on an interview last night. He said Russia has 4-8 weeks left to end this conflict or Russia will completely collapse because of sanctions.

Which begs the question: What happens if they stop?  Does the world just go back to normal?  Will the world end up trying to compensate to make russia stable again?

I think this whole World-Gangs-Up-On-Big-Bad-Leader frenzy may have put something in motion that no one really knows what to do with. As Peter says in that video, "The sanctions surprised EVERYONE."

As far as Russia collapsing in 4-8 weeks... I wouldn't be surprised to see them pull some kind of diabolical rabbit out of a hat that lets them stay afloat.

What does Russia have left that can keep them afloat economically? Oil? That's dead and about 20 years from restarting. Wheat? No one will insure anyone to ship it. What else do they have?  Russia is already dead, they just don't know it yet

All of their Nat Gas exports to europe are still intact. As are their exports to China. They also still have decent weapon sales to India and other countries.

Their economy is taking a massive hit but its incorrect to say they have no money coming in.

Their NG exports are intact FOR NOW.  Id expect those pipelines to looking like a bay area PG&E mishap x1000 if or when Russia has taken military control of UKR and the hardcore insurgency/sabotage fighting ramps up

They cant sell to India if they can neither build nor cash checks for military

Exports to China may be moot if they cant even maintain a workforce to export shit.  

I also question what countries want to buy when they are seeing how poorly it works by the builders of it.

Russia can still be paid; many of their banks are not under sanction, and even then there are workarounds.

Iran and North Korea - far less capable and resource rich countries then Russia - are still able to generate money and build military equipment.

https://www.bourseandbazaar.com/articles/2022/2/28/iran-russia-and-the-limits-of-financial-war

In terms of Russian equipment not working; eh. We're seeing a lot of poorly maintained shit break down, and we're seeing that a whole shitload of Russias military budget has likely been straight up stolen, which paired with poor morale has hollowed out their forces.

But the weapons themselves seem to be working fine. The ballistic and cruise missiles for example are hitting their targets and fucking shit up. The MLRS is working plenty well. Small arms obviously work. Hellicopters and Jets seem to work fine, just rather bizzarely employed (using jets at low alitude manpad range, for example.)

Their tanks and BMPs are being blown up left and right...but I suspect US/NATO/Chinese tanks would also be rapidly destroyed by Javelins as well.

The only weapon that really seems to be shitting the bed is their air defense assets against the TB2 drones.

A country like India looking to achieve a 'strategic independence' from China or the US has pretty limited other options for foreign weapon sales. Russia is the clear leader there, with countries like Israel and possibly South Korea being alternatives for some systems.

I got the impression that India kept putting up more and more money and got little to no progress in return. They finally terminated the agreement when it was obvious the Russians were just taking the money and had no intention of following thru.
Link Posted: 3/12/2022 12:05:45 PM EDT
[#18]

Either they haven't been told to or they're afraid to. If you were in Belarus, well fed and warm, would you be chomping at the bit to go run headlong into getting creamed?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By hondaciv:

Ah, yes, the yappy small dog approach to foreign relations. Hey Vlad, your crack troops are getting their asses handed to them by western weaponry. If you could have cut off the supply, you would have already. STFU and take your losses.

Putin has to keep enough forces in Belarus  to put down a coup against Lukašenko if necessary and act as a blocking force against Poland. It would be interesting to know how clued in they are to situation in Ukraine.

In other not news news

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/12/2022 12:07:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: juan223] [#19]

Putin has to keep enough forces in Belarus  to put down a coup against Lukašenko if necessary and act as a blocking force against Poland. It would be interesting to know how clued in they are to situation in Ukraine.

In other not news news

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/56204/0489F86B-3038-45CC-AA7E-82951B44C1C2_jpe-2310666.JPG
View Quote

Maybe Putin's Syrian mercs will be dropping chlorine barrel bombs?  
Link Posted: 3/12/2022 12:08:14 PM EDT
[#20]

Putin has to be made to sit the fuck down and ultimately be removed from power.

The off ramp has to be mixed with an equal measure of overwhelming force and resolve so the west proves that it cannot be blackmailed by his threats of strategic forces, nuclear fallout, other cbrn hostilities, and further imperialist actions against Europe.

It can’t be resolved and settled without that, including the complete handover of Crimea, independence of Donbas, and sea change in UKR governance and alliances, etc.

If it is, then this is just the set-up for a subsequent and much larger war.

The west should do everything it can to remove Putin and beat the Russian army in the field.

That remains to be seen so far. The west is afraid to take decisive direct action because they think Putin has the means and mindset to follow through on his threats.
View All Quotes
Russia said that ships carrying weapons to Ukraine would be considered legitimate military targets. I assume this is a ploy to try to get merchant ships scared to sail,I can’t see them being stupid enough to do something like trying to sink a freighter in the North Sea or Med they came to the conclusion was carrying weapons.

Every day that passes without a Russian flag over Kyiv the greater the chances Putin behaves even more irrationally so I honestly wouldn’t discount the possibility of anything,including something to provoke NATO.

Agree. Putin is painting himself into a coffin corner w/o someone giving him a big fucking off ramp.

And that’s what makes this situation so dangerous to the world.

Putin has to be made to sit the fuck down and ultimately be removed from power.

The off ramp has to be mixed with an equal measure of overwhelming force and resolve so the west proves that it cannot be blackmailed by his threats of strategic forces, nuclear fallout, other cbrn hostilities, and further imperialist actions against Europe.

It can’t be resolved and settled without that, including the complete handover of Crimea, independence of Donbas, and sea change in UKR governance and alliances, etc.

If it is, then this is just the set-up for a subsequent and much larger war.

The west should do everything it can to remove Putin and beat the Russian army in the field.

That remains to be seen so far. The west is afraid to take decisive direct action because they think Putin has the means and mindset to follow through on his threats.

Best case solution is someone inside Russia popping his ass in the head. I’m sure we have people working on influencing that. It’s also  probably and partially why we see him purging high ranking military and intelligence people.
Link Posted: 3/12/2022 12:08:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/12/2022 12:10:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By kncook:

Dang. That’s was good.

Everyone should watch that.
View All Quotes

Dang. That’s was good.

Everyone should watch that.

Absolutely!
Link Posted: 3/12/2022 12:11:48 PM EDT
[#23]

I can agree with that. Now this has reached a point where it's become less likely for Putin to be hailed as that national hero. And that's the question that needs answering. Even if he was to "defeat" Ukraine, the resulting insurgency would drag on forever. How long is Russia prepared to suffer that slow bleed?
View All Quotes
Russia said that ships carrying weapons to Ukraine would be considered legitimate military targets. I assume this is a ploy to try to get merchant ships scared to sail,I can't see them being stupid enough to do something like trying to sink a freighter in the North Sea or Med they came to the conclusion was carrying weapons.

Every day that passes without a Russian flag over Kyiv the greater the chances Putin behaves even more irrationally so I honestly wouldn't discount the possibility of anything,including something to provoke NATO.

And that's what makes this situation so dangerous to the world.

I can agree with that. Now this has reached a point where it's become less likely for Putin to be hailed as that national hero. And that's the question that needs answering. Even if he was to "defeat" Ukraine, the resulting insurgency would drag on forever. How long is Russia prepared to suffer that slow bleed?

I don't know. Probably longer than we'd like to think.

I can't think of an off ramp for Putin that the west and Ukraine could tolerate, unless Ukraine decides they can live with admitting to the loss of Crimea and Donbass.

Link Posted: 3/12/2022 12:11:51 PM EDT
[#24]

In other not news news

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/56204/0489F86B-3038-45CC-AA7E-82951B44C1C2_jpe-2310666.JPG
View Quote

I think Poland could roll Russia as it is.

I wonder how many troops Russia withholds to deal with poland?
Link Posted: 3/12/2022 12:12:43 PM EDT
[#25]
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By M-1975:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/177432/Kirill_Putin_Ridus_ru__jpg-2310665.JPG

As official Atheists, the Soviets suppressed the Russian Orthos until they realized they couldn't eliminate it forever. So at some point they made sure every bishop and every higher official was KGB.

Krill became a Bishop in 76. So we can safely assume he was a KGB agent.
Link Posted: 3/12/2022 12:13:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 3/12/2022 12:14:24 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Chokey:
View Quote

Good. I hope he remembers that any attack on nato and nato property will result in a military response...
Link Posted: 3/12/2022 12:14:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SoCalExile] [#28]

Putin has to keep enough forces in Belarus  to put down a coup against Lukaenko if necessary and act as a blocking force against Poland. It would be interesting to know how clued in they are to situation in Ukraine.

In other not news news

View Quote
So Russia plans to gas its own troops.

(That was a joke about Russian POWs)
Link Posted: 3/12/2022 12:14:46 PM EDT
[#29]

Airport is too small for NATO transport aircraft, and I've never seen them fly in there in the past.  Looks like it was a fighter airbase back in the days, and now a small passenger terminal on the south west side of the field.  The bunkers for the fighters are still there, but look to be in poor, unmaintained shape.

So these three planes are flying people.  If it was transport of military gear, it would be in another airport.  Also, giving Poland's desire to want Ukrainian pilots to fly those MIGs out of their airspace, I doubt they would give permission for mUkrainian transport planes to fly this deep into Polish air space.  This is near the German border.  Probably was once part of Germany at one time.

View All Quotes

It's a twin engine turbo prop with seats.  Much like those small regional airlines we have.

In what world is a 8,200' runway is too small for C-17s, C-130s, and A-400s?

Ramp space may be a little tight for a C-17, but C-130s and A-400s would have no problems.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bydgoszcz_Ignacy_Jan_Paderewski_Airport
Link Posted: 3/12/2022 12:18:57 PM EDT
[#30]
WW3 has started. We are in slow burn phase. Heard 16,000 Hezbollah fighters are on the way to fight for Putin. Going to be huge insurgency mess that will last for many years. Russian shelling is only 17 miles away from Poland's border.
Link Posted: 3/12/2022 12:19:16 PM EDT
[#31]
These guys are having fun:

View Quote
Holy fuck.
Link Posted: 3/12/2022 12:23:32 PM EDT
[#32]
Russian paratroopers taking control of airfield

Video

Link Posted: 3/12/2022 12:23:57 PM EDT
[#33]
View Quote

They're also the nation of Neville Chamberlain, and lately they're more Chamberlain than Churchill.

Still, that's better than the nation of a country hating, pudding connoisseur, and child sniffer that WE have become.
Link Posted: 3/12/2022 12:24:15 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Yobro512:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Yobro512:

In other not news news

The Poles really (and I think legitimately) hate Russia, russians, and anything vaguely resembling Lenninists.  
The only thing preventing them from flushing Russia like a flock of quail is nukes.
I would venture a guess that about half the polish people give less than a shit about that either.

It sorta puts Polish leadership in a bad spot, and it's one that NATO inherits.

>>What's Russia holding in reserve?  
Nukes.
Link Posted: 3/12/2022 12:24:17 PM EDT
[#35]
You could blame him for a lack of readiness in June, but the post-WWII Army was hollowed out and there wasn't much he could do about the lack of combat power available to him in Japan when the war broke out in June.
View Quote

I do blame him. When TF Smith went to Korea, one of the problems they had was that their 1919s were too rusty to use. Did MacArthur not have enough motor oil to preserve his weapons?      

Link Posted: 3/12/2022 12:25:28 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 3/12/2022 12:28:11 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 3/12/2022 12:28:43 PM EDT
[#38]
View Quote
Oh look, a Russian organic transducer is modulating atmosphere again. Wake me up when they actually do something.
Link Posted: 3/12/2022 12:31:22 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By CS223:

https://nitter.net/pic/media%2FFNqERoIXIAQR7td.jpg%3Fname%3Dorig
View Quote

Damn...I wonder if it fell off of a trailer on a tight turn during transport and ended up rolling over?  I would think the turret would be traversed to the rear if that was the case, but I dunno.  

Anyway, that's a good question.  We had one in the M60 series under the driver's seat.  You would hit the locking lever with a hammer to release IIRC.  When conducting services we would drop the hatch with a jack under it, and then pass the batteries (located under the turret floor and removed after traversing the turret into a certain position to access them) through the escape hatch instead of lifting them through the loaders' hatch to someone standing on the hull.  The Abrams doesn't have any type of hull escape hatch, but batteries are easier to get to as they are located in the rear of the hull where the engine / transmission ("pack") is and easy to access.

Google doesn't really get into what Russian tanks have or don't have escape hatches, but it looks like the T-72 has a hull escape hatch under or slightly behind the driver.
Link Posted: 3/12/2022 12:33:04 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By toaster:
Holy fuck.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By toaster:
These guys are having fun:

Holy fuck.

AC/DC - Big Gun (Official HD Video)
Link Posted: 3/12/2022 12:33:32 PM EDT
[#41]

Unfortunately, it seems like the Russians are getting their act together. Maybe not totally, but enough to make steady progress towards taking Kiyv. As heroic as the Ukrainian effort has been, I still think it's only a matter of time until the accomplish their goal. The key questions that will have to be answered: At what price, and now what?
View Quote

It was said this is Putin's professional army coming in, not the first wave conscripts. These are the second tier troops (professional army) that are encircling Kiev.
Link Posted: 3/12/2022 12:34:01 PM EDT
[#42]

Unfortunately, it seems like the Russians are getting their act together. Maybe not totally, but enough to make steady progress towards taking Kiyv. As heroic as the Ukrainian effort has been, I still think it's only a matter of time until the accomplish their goal. The key questions that will have to be answered: At what price, and now what?
View Quote
They win a shiny brand new insurgency supported by the industrial might of the EU/NATO and every Intelligence agency that has a score to settle with Putin.
Link Posted: 3/12/2022 12:34:56 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By Brok3n:

Canadian RHINOs.. a rare breed in these parts of GD
View Quote

It sure did talk a bunch of bullshit, being simultaneously the "humanitarian" while  "I'm for forcing others to take experimental injections against their will, or become financially destitute. AND they'd better not inconvenience me with their cries of injustice of we'll confiscate all their shit, kill their pets and take their children from them! AND there's more of us than them, that's why we're right! OH, and it's great bragging that we can do that with impunity!".

...and people say that they wouldn't be (couldn't be!) a Nazi and do all that fascist stuff. Right. Canada isn't a tyranny where most people think the way that "proud ar-15 owner" does, no sir. Golly.
Link Posted: 3/12/2022 12:35:11 PM EDT
[#44]
Vladimir Putin most certainly has an off ramp. Just declare victory and withdraw to his North Korea II kingdom. His people will not know any better. He is a great liar so the Russian dumbasses will believe it. I know one thing though...... Every Russian on Ukrainian soil must be killed with extreme prejudice !!!
Link Posted: 3/12/2022 12:35:13 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 3/12/2022 12:36:45 PM EDT
[#46]

This from early on?
View Quote

I suspect it's from the first day or so.
Link Posted: 3/12/2022 12:36:53 PM EDT
[#47]

Damn...I wonder if it fell off of a trailer on a tight turn during transport and ended up rolling over?  I would think the turret would be traversed to the rear if that was the case, but I dunno.  

Anyway, that's a good question.  We had one in the M60 series under the driver's seat.  You would hit the locking lever with a hammer to release IIRC.  When conducting services we would drop the hatch with a jack under it, and then pass the batteries (located under the turret floor and removed after traversing the turret into a certain position to access them) through the escape hatch instead of lifting them through the loaders' hatch to someone standing on the hull.  The Abrams doesn't have any type of hull escape hatch, but batteries are easier to get to as they are located in the rear of the hull where the engine / transmission ("pack") is and easy to access.

Google doesn't really get into what Russian tanks have or don't have escape hatches, but it looks like the T-72 has a hull escape hatch under or slightly behind the driver.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By CS223:

https://nitter.net/pic/media%2FFNqERoIXIAQR7td.jpg%3Fname%3Dorig

Escape hatch pictured.

Link Posted: 3/12/2022 12:37:45 PM EDT
[#48]

This from early on?
View Quote

Was just posted today.
Link Posted: 3/12/2022 12:37:53 PM EDT
[#49]

Link Posted: 3/12/2022 12:39:35 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 5591
OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 1027 of 5591)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top