Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 1117 of 5592)
Page / 5592
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Link Posted: 3/16/2022 2:03:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By lorazepam:

They don't have the people or budget to arm up like we can. They worked with us and europe for 8 years improving their military and defense. No they didn't hand out guns to every citizen. If they did, putin could justify shelling everything to dust.
View Quote

We don't know what it would look like if every citizen had arms, but I think it would look a lot better than this. Also, that would not provide justification for Putin, as he's invaded a country that did nothing to him.
Link Posted: 3/16/2022 2:05:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By JamesP81:

Does it even matter if they have millions of troops in reserve?  Having them doesn't mean anything if you can't move them, supply them, and provide the heavy weapons / equipment such an army needs to be effective.  Imagine sending a half million light infantry into a war with little air and artillery, razor thin supply lines, and little to no fighting vehicles or transport vehicles.  It would be a turkey shoot.
View Quote

Where are you getting "millions in reserve"?  Their entire military is less than a million, and that includes lots of men that aren't really deployable - Navy, most air force, strategic rocket forces just to start.  Then they have maintain bases and at least a minimal "boots on the ground" presence along the worlds longest border, and don't forget they need to keep a few reliable guys in reserve to back up the riot police.  The days of a huge force of even minimally trained reservists, even assuming they'd show up, are long over.  They have essentially none.
Link Posted: 3/16/2022 2:08:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/16/2022 2:08:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By stone-age:

It seems to me that diversity deserves at least another billion.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Corran_q:
I’m hoping at least 1 billion of that military aid goes towards diversity and climate change training for Ukraine.

It seems to me that diversity deserves at least another billion.

I've always heard that if we elect a woman as President and give everyone Critical Race Theory indoctrination, then there would be no more wars, pestilence, or famine.
Link Posted: 3/16/2022 2:10:11 PM EDT
[#5]
UK Ministry of Defense recap for 3/16.

Link Posted: 3/16/2022 2:11:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By bigstick61:

A while back they had said that pilots had already been sent to Poland to be so trained.  If true, then this is a non-issue.  It's just an excuse for Western cowardice.
View Quote
Cool
Link Posted: 3/16/2022 2:11:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By m35ben:
Then train new pilots.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By M-1975:
Sure, take them from combat missions and send them to school for a year at least. That'll help.
Then train new pilots.

So, you want it to take a longer time?
Link Posted: 3/16/2022 2:12:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Well train the pilots.
View All Quotes
POlish Migs require retraining as its a totally different cockpit layout.
Well train the pilots.

It would take months.  Not worth the time.
Link Posted: 3/16/2022 2:12:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By AJ_Dual:

If Russia can't make significant gains quickly, they'll be combat ineffective within 6 weeks and the MiG's won't change a thing.
View Quote
Thinking and planning for only a short fight is foolish.  Always plan on a long fight.
Link Posted: 3/16/2022 2:13:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Story of Col. Francis R. Stevens Jr. (retired) who met and became friends with Lieutenant Saburo Sakai (deceased 2000), the WW2 Japanese air ace who shot down and killed his father in the spring of 1942 in New Guinea.  I remember reading this story (written by Col. Stevens Jr.) 20 plus years ago and it has always stuck out in my memory.   Four pages but the last two are extremely powerful imho per war and forgiveness fwiw.  

https://www.americanheritage.com/my-father-and-i-and-saburo-sakai#1
Link Posted: 3/16/2022 2:14:15 PM EDT
[#11]
The Federal Reserve on Wednesday approved its first interest rate increase in more than three years, an incremental salvo to address spiraling inflation without torpedoing economic growth.

After keeping its benchmark interest rate anchored near zero since the beginning of the Covid pandemic, the policymaking Federal Open Market Committee said it will raise rates by a quarter percentage point, or 25 basis points.

That will bring the rate now into a range of 0.25%-0.5%. The move will correspond with a hike in the prime rate and immediately send financing costs higher for many forms of consumer borrowing and credit.

Along with the rate hikes, the committee also penciled in rate hikes at each of the six remaining meetings this year, pointing to a consensus funds rate of 1.9% by year's end. The committee sees three more hikes in 2023 then none the following year.

The rate hike was approved with only one dissent. St. Louis Fed President James Bullard wanted a 50-basis-point increase.

The committee last raised rates in December 2018, then had to backtrack the following July and begin cutting.
View Quote

Federal Reserve approves first interest rate hike in more than three years, sees six more ahead
Link Posted: 3/16/2022 2:14:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By klinc:

So, you want it to take a longer time?
View Quote
Do you just want to give up?
Link Posted: 3/16/2022 2:14:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By mnd6563:

View Quote
Short term thinking is stupid.
Link Posted: 3/16/2022 2:15:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By PurpleOtter:
Orc = Slavic Russian invader of Ukraine. It's used to dehumanize them.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By mancow:
Originally Posted By weptek911:
Originally Posted By FrankSL:
I remember this incredibly stupid lyric from Anthrax from 1987: "Russians, they're only people, like us"

No, they are not, and never have been.

That's because they are Orcs.

WTF is an orc?

Ever read or seen Lord of the Rings? The Orcs are the bad guys. Sauron's minions. Orcs in the Lord of the Rings and other Tolkein works are barbaric, crude, brutal and cruel. It doesn't have a damn thing to do with "Slavic Russian". Considering that Ukranians are also Slavs that's kind of absurd.
Link Posted: 3/16/2022 2:18:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By unreformed66:

Ever read or seen Lord of the Rings? The Orcs are the bad guys. Sauron's minions. Orcs in the Lord of the Rings and other Tolkein works are barbaric, crude, brutal and cruel. It doesn't have a damn thing to do with "Slavic Russian". Considering that Ukranians are also Slavs that's kind of absurd.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By unreformed66:
Originally Posted By mancow:
Originally Posted By weptek911:
Originally Posted By FrankSL:
I remember this incredibly stupid lyric from Anthrax from 1987: "Russians, they're only people, like us"

No, they are not, and never have been.

That's because they are Orcs.

WTF is an orc?

I've seen some reference to the Chechens as goblins.
Link Posted: 3/16/2022 2:18:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Is there a complete list of weapons that equipment going to Ukraine?

Link Posted: 3/16/2022 2:18:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Star_Scream:

I wonder how many pieces of Russian gear are crossing into Poland and then being flown to the US for analysis.
View Quote

I bet as the goodies get unloaded...so are high grade Russian equipment...
Link Posted: 3/16/2022 2:18:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 3/16/2022 2:19:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By TripleC:
Is there a complete list of weapons that equipment going to Ukraine?

View Quote

this is the most comprehensive list I've seen so far.

Link Posted: 3/16/2022 2:20:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By BlueSetter:

It was bullshit, and still I lost my job for over a year. Suggesting I should pay for Europes failures and refusal to handle their own shit is foolish. There a plenty of charities helping Ukraine, write a check if you feel that way.  But don’t spend my money, I’d much prefer we invest in American oil and farmers to be self sufficient. Again, I’m all for sending Ukraine the arms to end this soon with a decisive win, just not at our expense. Germany and others haven’t met their obligations in NATO, time for them to settle up. I’d insist they pay for all the aid we provide to to square up for what’s owed.  So, not great.
View Quote

Agreed. We can be proactive in our own defense and confront the baddies of the world without bankrolling and protecting European globalists. A lot of closet libs on this site love spending other people's money.
Link Posted: 3/16/2022 2:20:53 PM EDT
[#21]
And the brain/talent drain continues.

The opera opens the door for Russian dance defectors
View All Quotes
And the brain/talent drain continues.

Two Russian dancers, who are to be among the best in the world, have fled to Norway and left the theater they were employed at in Russia.
The opera opens the door for Russian dance defectors

Not the first time

Link Posted: 3/16/2022 2:21:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 3/16/2022 2:22:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Chokey:

this is the most comprehensive list I've seen so far.

View Quote
One question, does this meet Arfcom's definition for "arsenal"?
Link Posted: 3/16/2022 2:22:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: hondaciv] [#24]
This tank gets hit 3 times before the crew bails out.  Someone had asked about reactive armor working/not working.

https://t.me/dvish_alive/10305

ETA:  Chokey pasted the twitter link above
Link Posted: 3/16/2022 2:23:51 PM EDT
[#25]
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/16/2022 2:24:30 PM EDT
[#26]
View Quote

I've seen a few videos of a single tank or APC cruising along all alone only to get whacked. Kind of weird though with no back up at all?

Link Posted: 3/16/2022 2:24:43 PM EDT
[#27]

Why are announcing this to the world? Russia will use this as an excuse. They will say this is proof the US is trying to destroy russia.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Walleyeguy24:
Well looks like Biden is going to get more involved.  Better defense systems, drones, etc are far more important than mig 29s. This war has already proven that.  Now we will see what Russia's response is.  Do they throw out a threat or red line due to this influx?  Their response and what US/NATO actually send will be the determining factor in the conclusion of this.  This should have happened over a week ago.  While obviously this will help Ukraine, it should also be a pretty good indicator of where Putin really stands. This would be a mild escalation by the US/NATO in their defense of Ukraine.  Does Putin lose his shit over this and go full Grozny in response? Does this bring a more rational Putin to the bargaining table? Time will tell, but someone was finally willing to play a fucking card.

Why are announcing this to the world? Russia will use this as an excuse. They will say this is proof the US is trying to destroy russia.

Covert vs public is an interesting dilemma.  Everything listed has mostly already been moved in publicly, including Turkish drones.  This is just another influx by the looks of things depending on what SAM systems are brought in and what type of drones.  

Just as important as getting them weapons to win, is getting a better understanding of the mindset of Putin.  This slight escalation by the US will help see where he really is at.
Link Posted: 3/16/2022 2:25:06 PM EDT
[#28]
View Quote

Holy shit was that chunks of a dude raining down from the sky towards the end???
Link Posted: 3/16/2022 2:25:10 PM EDT
[#29]
https://t.me/OSINTUKRAINE/3343

What the heck comes flying into the video from the right, towards the end of the video???
Link Posted: 3/16/2022 2:27:07 PM EDT
[#30]
View Quote

Is that a crewman falling from the sky towards the end?  Jesus he was in the air a while.
Link Posted: 3/16/2022 2:27:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dracster] [#31]
View Quote

Short AND long range AA systems? We're giving them Patriot after all or buying someone else's Soviet stuff to give them ?
Link Posted: 3/16/2022 2:28:28 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By snackle:

How is Russia going to pay reparations? You can't get blood from a stone.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By snackle:
Originally Posted By cryo_tech:
Zelinskyy is stupid if he concedes anything and didn't get repirations.

How is Russia going to pay reparations? You can't get blood from a stone.

True.  But while Russia may not have cash, they have lots and lot valuable resources.  One of which is natural gas, already flowing through Ukraine in an existing pipeline.  I reckon the tariffs on that could be increased significantly.  For a start.
Link Posted: 3/16/2022 2:29:05 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By hondaciv:

Is that a crewman falling from the sky towards the end?  Jesus he was in the air a while.
View Quote

I think that's what it was.  Holy shitballs!
Link Posted: 3/16/2022 2:29:11 PM EDT
[#34]

View Quote

So basically TEXAS
Link Posted: 3/16/2022 2:29:29 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By NunyaBidness:
This is a fucking retard argument. Every single American service member is a volunteer and has been for 45 goddamned years.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By HiramRanger:
I am absolutely fucking disgusted with the, "it's not my problem" crowd. Legally, no it is not. Morally, well let's just say that people's response to this atrocity is a measure of their soul or lack thereof. If you want sacrifice a little comfort over somebody else's survival... well, yeah...

So go.  Go fight them.  Too old?  Do you have any kids?  Send them.  Start a gofundme and I'll pitch in.
This is a fucking retard argument. Every single American service member is a volunteer and has been for 45 goddamned years.

You should volunteer, you sound enthused.
Link Posted: 3/16/2022 2:29:33 PM EDT
[#36]
Cool
View All Quotes

A while back they had said that pilots had already been sent to Poland to be so trained.  If true, then this is a non-issue.  It's just an excuse for Western cowardice.
Cool

According to my pilot friend, former Air Force F-15 guy.  It is more complicated than that.  The NATO MiGs are western electronics, glass cockpits, nato comms and systems.  It would take a month of training to learn to fly it.  BUT.  Learning to fly it effectively under duress in combat would take many more months.  Basically like going from a MiG to an older F-16.  He also did not think the MiG 29 has the type of weapons that would be useful in the current conflict.  Plus it would need to stay low away from Russian AD radars and it is a huge gas hog with horrible range at low levels.  And it is shitty at ground attack.  It can dog fight, but the Russians are not flying a lot of fighters over Ukraine as both sides are hitting everything with AD.
Link Posted: 3/16/2022 2:29:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SemperGumbi] [#37]
View Quote

Dang that was brutal. I saw the driver get out but nobody else. Is that human remains that lands to the right towards the end? I think maybe one crewman survived that at most.
Link Posted: 3/16/2022 2:31:57 PM EDT
[#38]
This tank gets hit 3 times before the crew bails out.  Someone had asked about reactive armor working/not working.

https://t.me/dvish_alive/10305

ETA:  Chokey pasted the twitter link above
View Quote

Nice, 2nd hit de-tracked it.
Link Posted: 3/16/2022 2:32:00 PM EDT
[#39]
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By mnd6563:

Valid point.  I would say train them on F-16's which can actually do the roles they need and then get some EU countries to give them up for new US fighters.  Long term.
Link Posted: 3/16/2022 2:35:36 PM EDT
[#40]
Well train the pilots.
View All Quotes
POlish Migs require retraining as its a totally different cockpit layout.
Well train the pilots.

your talking 9-12 months of sim time before ever seeing a cockpit....

people dont think transition from steam gauge to glass cockpit be like it is... but it do
Link Posted: 3/16/2022 2:35:41 PM EDT
[#41]

So go.  Go fight them.  Too old?  Do you have any kids?  Send them.  Start a gofundme and I'll pitch in.
View All Quotes
I am absolutely fucking disgusted with the, "it's not my problem" crowd. Legally, no it is not. Morally, well let's just say that people's response to this atrocity is a measure of their soul or lack thereof. If you want sacrifice a little comfort over somebody else's survival... well, yeah...

*sniff sniff* who pooped themselves? Biden or one of his minions?
Link Posted: 3/16/2022 2:37:32 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Hking:

Holy shit was that chunks of a dude raining down from the sky towards the end???
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Hking:

There's a second tank that gets hit behind the first one. It looks like a body or equipment being blown off the second tank.
Link Posted: 3/16/2022 2:38:07 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By Obo2:

yeah i don't see nukes as more than a bluff in this unless nato decided to wipe out all russian forces in ukraine and then head to moscow.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Obo2:

Even a no-fly zone would not likely result in nukes.  Nuclear powers have engaged in direct ground and aerial combat multiple times in the past, as recently as the 1990s (for major combat; much more recently for more smaller conflicts, as in the last few years), without nukes flying or being dropped.  Nukes are a pretty big deal and a path to self-destruction when it involves two powers who both have a ton of nukes.  Absent a country being run by a complete moron or a madman, restraint is likely to be the order of the day.

yeah i don't see nukes as more than a bluff in this unless nato decided to wipe out all russian forces in ukraine and then head to moscow.

Even if they did use them it would only be a limited exchange. Right? We can take the risk, right?

Link Posted: 3/16/2022 2:38:40 PM EDT
[#44]

Looks like the 'Romny Column' advanced quite a bit since the map update yesterday.
Link Posted: 3/16/2022 2:38:53 PM EDT
[#45]
Biden announces additional $800M in U.S. aid to Ukraine | full video
Link Posted: 3/16/2022 2:40:24 PM EDT
[#46]

View All Quotes

There were 2 tanks.  At @1:17 you see an orange flash behind the tank (right part of screen) and a couple seconds later what’s left of the crewman from the second tank comes in.  

At the very end of the video there’s another angle from the front of the first tank and you can see the second tank.
Link Posted: 3/16/2022 2:41:48 PM EDT
[#47]
View All Quotes

It is not nice to call honda a retard...

But I agree with your assessment of our ALL VOLUNTEER military, and take it a step further... the use of our military is one arm of foreign policy alongside diplomacy. BOTH are under civilian control and do not need the approval of the military for its use - although I'm willing to bet there are a metric ass ton of of military members that want to get it on with Russia and end the threat.
Link Posted: 3/16/2022 2:43:05 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 3/16/2022 2:43:19 PM EDT
[#49]
View Quote

That was the single most amazing video of this whole thing so far. That guy blown out of the hatch.... I figured he landed off frame but he was still orbiting the entire time and landed near the end of the video. That was fucking spectacular!
Link Posted: 3/16/2022 2:44:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Glock63] [#50]
Originally Posted By DOW:

Even if they did use them it would only be a limited exchange. Right? We can take the risk, right?

View Quote

Rather than allow putin to use them as an excuse to do whatever he wants?  Yep we sure fucking can take that risk. Go ahead and cower in your basement.
Page / 5592
OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 1117 of 5592)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top