Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 1204 of 5590)
Page / 5590
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Link Posted: 3/20/2022 2:26:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By wjwill:

Supposedly, the Marines have these.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGdGHthpNAM
View Quote

The voiceover guy sounds like he has hemroids, but it's fun to watch.

Episode 44. The Uran-9 Russia’s First Combat Robot

Link Posted: 3/20/2022 2:30:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By elcope:

Sure is looking that way.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By elcope:
Originally Posted By sq40:
Is it just me, or does it seem the era of the tank and plane is coming to an end, with the proliferation of portable missiles and small drones?  The rifleman is becoming more and more essential too.  Shore to ship weapons need to evolve, but it seems like war is getting more mano a mano again, the individual to platoon are more deadly than ever.

Sure is looking that way.

Decidely so.
Link Posted: 3/20/2022 2:30:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: x248716x] [#3]
Is it just me, or does it seem the era of the tank and plane is coming to an end, with the proliferation of portable missiles and small drones?  The rifleman is becoming more and more essential too.  Shore to ship weapons need to evolve, but it seems like war is getting more mano a mano again, the individual to platoon are more deadly than ever.
View Quote

we're also seeing small drone vs soldier.  soldier loses.  suicide drones vs soldiers in trenches, dugouts.
Link Posted: 3/20/2022 2:32:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mancow] [#4]
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By netstorm:
https://i.ibb.co/c8MWy1n/dog.jpg

https://i.ibb.co/wgRZKfQ/dog2.jpg

I saw one of those variants live in action at the national tactical officer's conference in KC. Fucking creeeeepy as shit. A guy ran up and kicked it. It just staggered and kept going. He then kicked it over and the legs flipped 180 degrees and it ran off with the body upside down.

I was like... well fuck me.
Link Posted: 3/20/2022 2:39:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By mancow:

I saw one of those variants live in action at the national tactical officer's conference in KC. Fucking creeeeepy as shit. A guy ran up and kicked it. It just staggered and kept going. He then kicked it over and the legs flipped 180 degrees and it ran off with the body upside down.

View All Quotes

What round for robot killer dogs?
Link Posted: 3/20/2022 2:39:58 AM EDT
[#6]

View All Quotes

It's all fun and games when Skynet is targeting the enemy...
Link Posted: 3/20/2022 2:46:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Cure4commies556:

I’m starting to think these guys are staged with the Mosins.  To project the illusion that these separatists are scrappy poorly equipped underdogs fighting the big Nazi war machine.  None of these guys have bandoliers to feed these things, but they all have new looking matching uniforms.  Russia is never going to run out of AKs, but these clowns happen to have rifles from 1930.  I’m calling propaganda.
View Quote

They sold off a lot of them.  If ak imports hadn't been stopped we could have cleaned them out by now.
Link Posted: 3/20/2022 2:50:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By snackle:

They sold off a lot of them.  If ak imports hadn't been stopped we could have cleaned them out by now.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By snackle:
Originally Posted By Cure4commies556:
I’m starting to think these guys are staged with the Mosins.  To project the illusion that these separatists are scrappy poorly equipped underdogs fighting the big Nazi war machine.  None of these guys have bandoliers to feed these things, but they all have new looking matching uniforms.  Russia is never going to run out of AKs, but these clowns happen to have rifles from 1930.  I’m calling propaganda.

oligarch enrichment at the expense of russian military preparedness.
Link Posted: 3/20/2022 3:03:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Capta] [#9]
View Quote

Yes and no.  The era of obsolescent tanks having any value is over.
However the role that tanks have filled still needs to be filled - that is, highly mobile firepower.
Infantry may now have competitive firepower, but infantry is massively less mobile.  How do you retain mobility and firepower while recapturing the advantage in protection that tanks have enjoyed for much of 100 years?
Some ideas for what the “tank” of tomorrow will need:
1)Active protection.  This exists already in prototype form,  but has yet to really become widely operational.  You can guarantee there will be another “gun/armor race” between weapon systems and active protection systems.  We will develop ways to spoof, overpower, or swamp active protection, and active protection systems with only a handful of shots will soon be obsolete.  Therefore you will need a high number of available rounds in a compact format, which suggests a gun system over a missile system.
2)Drone anti-aircraft.  More than any other conflict this has demonstrated the necessity for each unit to be its own air-defense vehicle.  Really this should have already happened with APCs, which mount appropriate armament.
3)Carries its own infantry squad for screening/recon/additional firepower.

I’ll speculate that the “tank of tomorrow” looks like a big APC, with modest armor and a medium-caliber (40-57mm) main gun which is actually triple-purpose.  It’s the classic “main gun”, and also the active protection system, and also the anti-aircraft/anti-drone system.  Mount it in a highly agile unmanned turret and back it up with a small VLS of missiles for longer-ranged SAM use or non-line-of-sight use.  The physical armor is moderate to stop fragments of weapons that the active system disrupts.
Link Posted: 3/20/2022 3:06:36 AM EDT
[#10]
That’s just the IFV of the future. There’s literally a program of record to buy that.
Link Posted: 3/20/2022 3:08:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Capta:

However the role that tanks have filled still needs to be filled - that is, highly mobile firepower.
Infantry may now have competitive firepower, but infantry is massively less mobile.  How do you retain mobility and firepower while recapturing the advantage in protection that tanks have enjoyed for much of 100 years?
1)Active protection.  This exists already in prototype form,  but has yet to really become widely operational.  You can guarantee there will be another “gun/armor race” between weapon systems and active protection systems.  We will develop ways to spoof, overpower, or swamp active protection, and active protection systems with only a handful of shots will soon be obsolete.  Therefore you will need a high number of available rounds in a compact format, which suggests a gun system over a missile system.
2)Drone anti-aircraft.  More than any other conflict this has demonstrated the necessity for each unit to be its own air-defense vehicle.  Really this should have already happened with APCs, which mount appropriate armament.

I’ll speculate that the “tank of tomorrow” looks like a big APC, with modest armor and a medium-caliber (40-57mm) main gun which is actually triple-purpose.  It’s the classic “main gun”, and also the active protection system, and also the anti-aircraft/anti-drone system.  Mount it in a highly agile unmanned turret and back it up with a small VLS of missiles for longer-ranged SAM use or non-line-of-sight use.  The physical armor is moderate to stop fragments of weapons that the active system disrupts.
View All Quotes

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/20/2022 3:12:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: rpoL98] [#12]
Originally Posted By Ryan_Scott:
That’s just the IFV of the future. There’s literally a program of record to buy that.
View Quote

if US-built, it'll be gold-plated and cost $10 million*, highly mobile armored vehicle with jet-fighter electronics.  I'd guess Israel, and Turkey, will come out minimum-requirement affordable version.

* ETA: probably a lot more than that, half a jet fighter whatever that is.
Link Posted: 3/20/2022 3:19:39 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By rpoL98:

if US-built, it'll be gold-plated and cost $10 million, highly mobile armored vehicle with jet-fighter electronics.  I'd guess Israel, and Turkey, will come out minimum-requirement affordable version.
View Quote

Israel uses an absurd APC. Turkey has an odd mix of stuff. I wouldn’t point at them. I doubt the US version will have much more than other nations have, but we will pay more than many, because reasons.

FCS was supposed to make stuff much more lightweight but it’s not there yet. Kinetic projectiles would still fuck them up as would IEDs.
Link Posted: 3/20/2022 3:20:58 AM EDT
[#14]
View Quote

Not really.  The new APCs are just the continuation of the classic gun/armor race with some other fancy tech.  The guns/turrets are not specced to be highly capable anti-air and they have no capability to function as an active protection system.  They will have a small active protection system which will be useful but soon obsolete.
Basically they are just the apex APCs in the same mold that we have seen since the BMP-1.
Link Posted: 3/20/2022 3:23:07 AM EDT
[#15]
Read this thread for why even younger Russians with what should be the world of information at their fingertips have a very different grasp on things.

Americans always assume the rest of the world understands the same “facts” they do but it isn’t so. There is this assumption that Russians also believe the US won WWII and Russia was a junior partner and that could not be farther from the truth. To give an example of what they learn regarding the US and WWII,this is what a university educated Russian I know thought about the war in the Pacific: Japan bombed Pearl Harbor,the US then retaliated by dropping 2 nuclear bombs and killing millions.

Russians are not taught about the Molotov Ribbentrop Pact,are not told of Katyn,are ignorant of what Soviets did to and on occupied and stolen land…
Link Posted: 3/20/2022 3:24:13 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By TheLurker:

View All Quotes

All of them.
Link Posted: 3/20/2022 3:33:33 AM EDT
[#17]

View All Quotes

Link Posted: 3/20/2022 3:33:59 AM EDT
[#18]

Not really.  The new APCs are just the continuation of the classic gun/armor race with some other fancy tech.  The guns/turrets are not specced to be highly capable anti-air and they have no capability to function as an active protection system.  They will have a small active protection system which will be useful but soon obsolete.
Basically they are just the apex APCs in the same mold that we have seen since the BMP-1.
View Quote

The gun for the Bradley replacement will be able to elevate as high as a SPAAG, will have the ability to engage aircraft optically using airburst fusing. Whether they’ll develop a way to use radar with it or operate multiples as part of an air defense network, I don’t know. To what extent they’ll use the gun in an automatic protection system I don’t know but the technology exists to use it against missiles automatically, or to automatically slew to and even engage threats.

I’d caution against trying to make one vehicle all things though.

Most importantly once active protection systems mature, CKEM will have to be completed and fielded and other than that it’ll take a tank to kill a tank.
Link Posted: 3/20/2022 3:35:01 AM EDT
[#19]

View All Quotes

my guess?  50BMG (anti-materiel round)  or 40mm Mk19
Link Posted: 3/20/2022 4:02:57 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Cypher15:

Armor only works when it is supported by infantry ;)
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Cypher15:

Armor only works when it is supported by infantry ;)

Russian infantry riding their tanks = more well done russians

PERFECT. I AM ALL FOR IT
Link Posted: 3/20/2022 4:09:03 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By x248716x:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By x248716x:

I'll go with the plasma rifle in the 40 watt range, but thats just me...

You guys can pew pew lead at autonomous hunter killer robots that walk like a metallic dog that got in my liquor cabinet.
Link Posted: 3/20/2022 4:16:28 AM EDT
[#22]

A rare flash of honesty, and a signal that China is not convinced by a humanitarian potus
Link Posted: 3/20/2022 4:20:44 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Balu:

I think Hungarians remember 1956 perfectly well. No one came to help Hungary shake off the Russian invasion.
View Quote

You may be exactly correct.

Even ff Hungary decidedly helped NATO to block/defeat Russia in Ukraine, Hungary will still be viewed as a pariah by the EU due to their stance on immigration and other anti-wokeness. Meanwhile Russia will still be in the neighborhood and has a long memory.
Link Posted: 3/20/2022 4:29:21 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By MattyCR:

You guys can pew pew lead at autonomous hunter killer robots that walk like a metallic dog that got in my liquor cabinet.
View Quote

If those  fancy robokiller dogs are going to survive even small arms fire and function, they're going to need a lot more armor, I would think. Haven't seen any tests where it was up against farmer John Elmer from his stone barn with his daddy's .30-30 or the Garand he got after the war with a few clips of M2AP. The humanoid ones too.
They look badass up against three dudes tripping, shoving, and kicking them.

Let's see what happens if someone puts a clip or two of AP out of a Garand in it from 75 yards away.
Link Posted: 3/20/2022 4:34:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: nickmemphis] [#25]
Energy weapons in atmosphere are kind of diminishing return things, especially on a battle field filled with smoke particulates and dust in the air. All the energy is basically wasted heating up shit in the air, which makes the air even less conducive to throughput, and only a little tiny bit get to the target. They'll be great for space infantry in a vacuum.
Link Posted: 3/20/2022 4:34:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TheLurker] [#26]

Some auto cannon goodness. Eta, video is of Ukr apc messing up Russian vehicles with 30mm.
Link Posted: 3/20/2022 4:46:54 AM EDT
[#27]
Ukrainian forces have defeated the initial Russian campaign of this war. That campaign aimed to conduct airborne and mechanized operations to seize Kyiv, Kharkiv, Odesa, and other major Ukrainian cities to force a change of government in Ukraine. That campaign has culminated. Russian forces continue to make limited advances in some parts of the theater but are very unlikely to be able to seize their objectives in this way. The doctrinally sound Russian response to this situation would be to end this campaign, accept a possibly lengthy operational pause, develop the plan for a new campaign, build up resources for that new campaign, and launch it when the resources and other conditions are ready. The Russian military has not yet adopted this approach. It is instead continuing to feed small collections of reinforcements into an ongoing effort to keep the current campaign alive. We assess that that effort will fail.
https://www.understandingwar.org/backgrounder/russian-offensive-campaign-assessment-march-19
Link Posted: 3/20/2022 4:50:46 AM EDT
[#28]

The gun for the Bradley replacement will be able to elevate as high as a SPAAG, will have the ability to engage aircraft optically using airburst fusing. Whether they’ll develop a way to use radar with it or operate multiples as part of an air defense network, I don’t know. To what extent they’ll use the gun in an automatic protection system I don’t know but the technology exists to use it against missiles automatically, or to automatically slew to and even engage threats.

I’d caution against trying to make one vehicle all things though.

Most importantly once active protection systems mature, CKEM will have to be completed and fielded and other than that it’ll take a tank to kill a tank.
View Quote

The Lynx turret is limited to 45 degree elevation, which is insufficient for real AAA use.  I was unable to find a published figure for the other competitor.
Yes, they will have some AAA capability, but then so does anything with an autocannon.
Neither has radar.  Neither has a turret fast enough to be used for active protection.  Again they are just better APCs in the current mold.
What you would need is something like a 40mm CIWS on treads with some other stuff thrown in.
Link Posted: 3/20/2022 4:55:59 AM EDT
[#29]

Some auto cannon goodness.
View Quote

Damn. Are those friendly infantry near the target?!! That gunner needs some decaf.
Link Posted: 3/20/2022 5:01:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TheLurker] [#30]
Originally Posted By ITCHY-FINGER:

Damn. Are those friendly infantry near the target?!! That gunner needs some decaf.
View All Quotes

Some auto cannon goodness.

It looks like they are. Looks like one of them puts an rpg into the tank before the 30mm goes to work on it.
Link Posted: 3/20/2022 5:06:16 AM EDT
[#31]
If there's one thing Americans are terrible at, by nature, is not trying to make any particular thing do everything. It's like everyone at DARPA and Anniston were all autistic Swiss Army foamers. And you wind up with this:

The Wenger Giant is the world's largest Swiss Army knife, packing 141 functions into 87 () implements. At 9” wide and 32 ounces, this dang thing is so big that you could use it as a pretty nice anchor for your boat, if it didn't list at $2,100 (street price $1,300).
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/20/2022 5:06:33 AM EDT
[#32]

Lots of wrecked Russian armor in this one.
Link Posted: 3/20/2022 5:07:18 AM EDT
[#33]
If there's one thing Americans are terrible at, by nature, is not trying to make any particular thing do everything. It's like everyone at DARPA and Anniston were all autistic Swiss Army foamers. And you wind up with this:

The Wenger Giant is the world's largest Swiss Army knife, packing 141 functions into 87 () implements. At 9” wide and 32 ounces, this dang thing is so big that you could use it as a pretty nice anchor for your boat, if it didn't list at $2,100 (street price $1,300).
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/20/2022 5:11:18 AM EDT
[#34]
I don't know what's up with  the double taps. Sorry.
Link Posted: 3/20/2022 5:16:45 AM EDT
[#35]
There was a sleeper movie in the 80s with Chevy Chase and Gregory Hines called Deal Of The Century, where they were Arms dealers. They had this huge rifle they were selling to Bana repubs. With a built in bottle opener. That kind of thing. That's why the space shuttle was such a giant suck, everybody wanted it to do everything, and so it didn't do any one thing well, and it certainly wasn't cheaper.
Link Posted: 3/20/2022 5:26:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MattyCR] [#36]
Originally Posted By nickmemphis:

If those  fancy robokiller dogs are going to survive even small arms fire and function, they're going to need a lot more armor, I would think. Haven't seen any tests where it was up against farmer John Elmer from his stone barn with his daddy's .30-30 or the Garand he got after the war with a few clips of M2AP. The humanoid ones too.

Let's see what happens if someone puts a clip or two of AP out of a Garand in it from 75 yards away.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By MattyCR:

This is all you need

Link Posted: 3/20/2022 5:27:38 AM EDT
[#37]
There was a sleeper movie in the 80s with Chevy Chase and Gregory Hines called Deal Of The Century, where they were Arms dealers. They had this huge rifle they were selling to Bana repubs. With a built in bottle opener. That kind of thing. That's why the space shuttle was such a giant suck, everybody wanted it to do everything, and so it didn't do any one thing well, and it certainly wasn't cheaper.
View Quote

Everything you post in this thread, hardly has anything to do with this thread. You sound autistic and it's damn annoying without your double and triple taps. Give it a rest already.
Link Posted: 3/20/2022 5:49:19 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By ydididothis:

Everything you post in this thread, hardly has anything to do with this thread. You sound autistic and it's damn annoying without your double and triple taps. Give it a rest already.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ydididothis:

I have assburgers, probably. I try to restrain myself,  like right now, when nothing is happening.  Some people like it, but many are offended.

If you want to ignore me, I won't take it personally. I completely understand. I really do.
Link Posted: 3/20/2022 6:01:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2A373] [#39]

An interesting thread. Any truck fleet/mil transport guys have a view what he says?
View Quote

This was discussed a couple weeks ago here.

Take a closer look at the Pantsir and explain how poor maintenance caused the following:

-Front tire to be on fire
-Second wheel showing suspension damage based of how the wheel is setting at an odd angle
-Third tire to be flat
-Forth wheel to be completely ripped off of the hub and the tire is severely damaged

That small amount of mud and poor mx did not disable that Pantsir, it was hit by some type of weapon. The fact he is using a vehicle with obvious battle damage destroys his thesis.

"This is a thread that will explain the implied poor Russian Army truck maintenance practices based on this photo of a Pantsir-S1 wheeled gun-missile system's right rear pair of tires below & the operational implications during the Ukrainian mud season."

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/20/2022 6:04:25 AM EDT
[#40]

View Quote

Yeah, but he knew enough to shoot lower on the hull to get penetration on that tank, and it worked.

Link Posted: 3/20/2022 6:06:22 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 3/20/2022 6:06:56 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 3/20/2022 6:13:45 AM EDT
[#43]

The Lynx turret is limited to 45 degree elevation, which is insufficient for real AAA use.  I was unable to find a published figure for the other competitor.
Yes, they will have some AAA capability, but then so does anything with an autocannon.
Neither has radar.  Neither has a turret fast enough to be used for active protection.  Again they are just better APCs in the current mold.
What you would need is something like a 40mm CIWS on treads with some other stuff thrown in.
View Quote

The Griffin III can elevate the gun to 85 degrees. There have been SPAAGs built without radar before, intentionally I mean, because they desired a passive system. So I wouldn’t put too much stock in that. I’m any case I expect a buying spree for new SHORAD systems for CUAS. I’m unsure how fast the turrets slew but I’m sure it can be arranged to be fast enough.
Link Posted: 3/20/2022 6:14:55 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 3/20/2022 6:17:40 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By 2A373:

Take a closer look at the Pantsir and explain how poor maintenance caused the following:

-Second wheel showing suspension damage based of how the wheel is setting at an odd angle
-Third tire to be flat
-Forth wheel to be completely ripped off of the hub and the tire is severely damaged

That small amount of mud and poor mx did not disable that Pantsir, it was hit by some type of weapon. The fact he is using a vehicle with obvious battle damage destroys his thesis.

"This is a thread that will explain the implied poor Russian Army truck maintenance practices based on this photo of a Pantsir-S1 wheeled gun-missile system's right rear pair of tires below & the operational implications during the Ukrainian mud season."

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/54089/FM4FVTOX0AQ3GUu_jpg-2319799.JPG
View All Quotes

An interesting thread. Any truck fleet/mil transport guys have a view what he says?

-Third tire to be flat

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/54089/FM4FVTOX0AQ3GUu_jpg-2319799.JPG

This is a different thread, on a related topic. It's worth a read of the new thread.
Link Posted: 3/20/2022 6:17:54 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 3/20/2022 6:19:24 AM EDT
[#47]

-Third tire to be flat

View Quote

You do not know the sequence of events, so cannot state that the battle damage predated the operational attrition from the bad tires.

The "expert's" hypothesis was that cheap tires and lack of maintenance caused the rear wheels to crack and separate and strand the vehicle when the central air pressure system was used to reduce air pressure, attempting to gain traction in the mud.

Battle damage could have occurred afterwards, with Ukes treating the vehicle to an RPG or some cannon fire to render it permanently inop, or if it was still manned at the time they encountered it.

As a counterpoint to your scenario, can you explain to me what battle damage sequence causes that type of separation on the fourth tire, if the vehicle was inop from battle damage to the front, already?
Link Posted: 3/20/2022 6:21:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: iggy1337] [#48]
Link Posted: 3/20/2022 6:23:05 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Circuits:

You do not know the sequence of events, so cannot state that the battle damage predated the operational attrition from the bad tires.

The "expert's" hypothesis was that cheap tires and lack of maintenance caused the rear wheels to crack and separate and strand the vehicle when the central air pressure system was used to reduce air pressure, attempting to gain traction in the mud.

Battle damage could have occurred afterwards, with Ukes treating the vehicle to an RPG or some cannon fire to render it permanently inop, or if it was still manned at the time they encountered it.

As a counterpoint to your scenario, can you explain to me what battle damage sequence causes that type of separation on the fourth tire, if the vehicle was inop from battle damage to the front, already?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Circuits:

-Third tire to be flat

Didn't we do this about 200 pages ago?
Link Posted: 3/20/2022 6:29:05 AM EDT
[#50]
Didn't we do this about 200 pages ago?
View Quote

In a 1200+ page thread, you can't expect everyone to be perfectly up on every single post - what was the consensus 200 pages ago?
Page / 5590
OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 1204 of 5590)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top