Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 1205 of 5590)
Page / 5590
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Link Posted: 3/20/2022 6:29:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By iggy1337:

Ukraine forces seem to really love that Stunga-P system judgeing by the shit ton of vids. I wonder if they are holding the Javelis back for the defence of the key cities.

Anhow it sucks being a Russian conscript and i wonder if we wil be seeing barrier troops

https://i0.wp.com/militaryleak.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/01/ukrainian-new-stugna-p-anti-tank-guided-missile-gets-direct-hit-on-pro-russia-separatists.jpg?w=1000&ssl=1
View Quote

Man if it was my job to shoot tanks, id rather stare at my ipad behind defilade than stand there in the wide open in front of all of Russia and God with a Javelin on my shoulder
Link Posted: 3/20/2022 6:33:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Circuits:

In a 1200+ page thread, you can't expect everyone to be perfectly up on every single post - what was the consensus 200 pages ago?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TheLurker:
Didn't we do this about 200 pages ago?

In a 1200+ page thread, you can't expect everyone to be perfectly up on every single post - what was the consensus 200 pages ago?

Lot's of to and fro for several pages about tyre stuff, and someone finally made the point that it didn't matter what happened to the tires,  the truck wasn't operational so good for ukr.
Link Posted: 3/20/2022 6:43:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2A373] [#3]
Link Posted: 3/20/2022 6:46:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/20/2022 6:54:56 AM EDT
[#5]
M1A2 Abrams tanks of the 1st Combat Team of the US 1st Infantry Division in Poland.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

I dunno, I might have painted them green again
Link Posted: 3/20/2022 6:55:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Putin loses ANOTHER top commander: Black Sea Fleet captain, 51, is ‘shot dead near Mariupol’ in latest hammer blow for invading troops

Ukraine claimed today that its forces had shot dead the deputy commander of Russia's Black Sea Fleet in another significant blow to Vladimir Putin's forces.

First rank captain Andrey Paliy, 51, is the only senior naval officer allegedly killed in the war in Ukraine, although Kyiv claims to have slain five army generals.

Col Sergei Sukharev, of the 331st Guards Parachute Assault Regiment from Kostroma, was killed on March 18 and Andrei Sukhovetsky, 47, was killed during a special operation by a sniper on March 3.

In addition, Major-General Oleg Mityaev, 47, commander of the army's 150th motorised rifle division, died fighting around the besieged city of Mariupol, Major General Vitaly Gerasimov, 45, was killed on March 7 outside the eastern city of Kharkiv, and Colonel Andrey Kolesnikov, Commander of the Guards Tank Kantemirovskaya Division, was killed in fighting on March 11.

It came as Russia claimed to have hit a training facility for foreign fighters killing more than 100 special forces personnel and non-Ukrainian mercenaries.

Paliy's death appeared to be confirmed by a Russian friend, Konstantin Tsarenko, secretary of the public council of the Sevastopol Nakhimov Naval School, although it has not been officially acknowledged by Moscow.

One account said that he had been involved with Russian marines attacks near Mariupol.

However, the exact circumstances of his reported death are not known.

Paliy was born in Kyiv and in 1993 refused to take the Ukrainian military oath, instead serving in the Russian Northern Fleet.

He had earlier served on the Russian nuclear missile cruiser 'Peter the Great'.

He also served as deputy head of the Russian naval academy in Sevastopol, in annexed Crimea.

More
Link Posted: 3/20/2022 6:55:53 AM EDT
[#7]

You do not know the sequence of events, so cannot state that the battle damage predated the operational attrition from the bad tires.

The "expert's" hypothesis was that cheap tires and lack of maintenance caused the rear wheels to crack and separate and strand the vehicle when the central air pressure system was used to reduce air pressure, attempting to gain traction in the mud.

Battle damage could have occurred afterwards, with Ukes treating the vehicle to an RPG or some cannon fire to render it permanently inop, or if it was still manned at the time they encountered it.

As a counterpoint to your scenario, can you explain to me what battle damage sequence causes that type of separation on the fourth tire, if the vehicle was inop from battle damage to the front, already?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 2A373:
Take a closer look at the Pantsir and explain how poor maintenance caused the following:

-Front tire to be on fire
-Second wheel showing suspension damage based of how the wheel is setting at an odd angle
-Third tire to be flat
-Forth wheel to be completely ripped off of the hub and the tire is severely damaged

That small amount of mud and poor mx did not disable that Pantsir, it was hit by some type of weapon. The fact he is using a vehicle with obvious battle damage destroys his thesis.

You do not know the sequence of events, so cannot state that the battle damage predated the operational attrition from the bad tires.

The "expert's" hypothesis was that cheap tires and lack of maintenance caused the rear wheels to crack and separate and strand the vehicle when the central air pressure system was used to reduce air pressure, attempting to gain traction in the mud.

Battle damage could have occurred afterwards, with Ukes treating the vehicle to an RPG or some cannon fire to render it permanently inop, or if it was still manned at the time they encountered it.

As a counterpoint to your scenario, can you explain to me what battle damage sequence causes that type of separation on the fourth tire, if the vehicle was inop from battle damage to the front, already?

You're correct, we don't know what exactly happened to the Pantsir, and neither does the tire "expert". And that is why he should not be using it to support his thesis.
Link Posted: 3/20/2022 7:00:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: iggy1337] [#8]
Link Posted: 3/20/2022 7:06:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Ukraine War: Dozens of soldiers feared dead after attack on Mykolaiv barracks
Link Posted: 3/20/2022 7:06:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By x248716x:

them Baofengs are killing them.

ETA: and probably their cell phones also.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By rpoL98:
they're probably using electronic intelligence, signal intelligence to pinpoint the locations of the command posts, then passing the coordinates off to the Ukraine artillery or drone pilots.  DIA was recently bragging about how they have real-time actionable intel which they pass to the Ukranian military.

Which is exactly how the Russians killed Dudayev, the forner Soviet Air Force general commanding the Chechen forces, in the First Chechen War.
Link Posted: 3/20/2022 7:15:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By mancow:

All of them.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By netstorm:
Originally Posted By sq40:
Is it just me, or does it seem the era of the tank and plane is coming to an end, with the proliferation of portable missiles and small drones?  The rifleman is becoming more and more essential too.  Shore to ship weapons need to evolve, but it seems like war is getting more mano a mano again, the individual to platoon are more deadly than ever.
https://i.ibb.co/c8MWy1n/dog.jpg

https://i.ibb.co/wgRZKfQ/dog2.jpg

I saw one of those variants live in action at the national tactical officer's conference in KC. Fucking creeeeepy as shit. A guy ran up and kicked it. It just staggered and kept going. He then kicked it over and the legs flipped 180 degrees and it ran off with the body upside down.

I was like... well fuck me.

What round for robot killer dogs?

All of them.

Simultaneously…it’s the only way to be sure
Link Posted: 3/20/2022 7:23:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/20/2022 7:24:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/20/2022 7:29:58 AM EDT
[#14]

Some auto cannon goodness. Eta, video is of Ukr apc messing up Russian vehicles with 30mm.
View Quote

Dang, bet those dis-mounts ears were ringing after that volley!
Link Posted: 3/20/2022 7:35:45 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/20/2022 7:41:52 AM EDT
[#16]

Good doggie
View All Quotes

Good doggie

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/20/2022 7:44:28 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By writerdeluxe2006:

It’s a lynx.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By writerdeluxe2006:
Originally Posted By dillydilly:
Originally Posted By MNGearhead:

Does that guy have a Bobcat on his shoulder?

Looks like a regular tabby housecat.

It’s a lynx.

Worked out for Cambyses II at Pelusium, worth a shot.
Link Posted: 3/20/2022 7:52:28 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By michigan66:

Which is exactly how the Russians killed Dudayev, the forner Soviet Air Force general commanding the Chechen forces, in the First Chechen War.
View Quote

The NSA found him,Clinton doing a favor for Yeltsin. Killing him meant that the war in Chechnya changed from being one of secular nationalism to being led by Saudi imams preaching Salafism. This is what led to all sorts of things from Chechen fighters in Afghanistan to Kadyrov and the Boston marathon bombing.

Dudayev is a bit of a hero in Latvia and Estonia as he was the highest ranking Soviet officer locally and refused to order troops to put down the independence movements. The national museum is built on the runway of the bomber base he commanded

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/20/2022 7:55:40 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Cypher15:

Armor only works when it is supported by infantry ;)
View Quote

But if the infantry now needs to have control for a mile or more before the tanks can come in, what is the point of the tanks?  Non-military here and I mean it as an honest question.

Link Posted: 3/20/2022 8:18:15 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Birddog15:

But if the infantry now needs to have control for a mile or more before the tanks can come in, what is the point of the tanks?  Non-military here and I mean it as an honest question.

View Quote

Tanks can provide much more sustainable fire than carrying missiles.
Link Posted: 3/20/2022 8:19:53 AM EDT
[#21]

Link Posted: 3/20/2022 8:20:01 AM EDT
[#22]

View Quote

Much like battleships, tanks may lose relevance as the battlefield evolves.

Tanks serve a purpose supporting infantry…they carry heavier ordinance in larger quantity than infantry alone could handle…but watching this war I’m starting to wonder whether lighter more maneuverable armored vehicles (likely able to carry infantry) with good anti-armor and anti-aircraft abilities would be easier on logistics and may be more relevant.
Link Posted: 3/20/2022 8:21:24 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 3/20/2022 8:23:53 AM EDT
[#24]

Some auto cannon goodness. Eta, video is of Ukr apc messing up Russian vehicles with 30mm.
View Quote

Lol poor guy at 0:15 shooting his rifle, then 30mm shells go whizzing by his head.
Link Posted: 3/20/2022 8:26:02 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 3/20/2022 8:28:30 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By iggy1337:

Ukraine forces seem to really love that Stunga-P system judgeing by the shit ton of vids. I wonder if they are holding the Javelis back for the defence of the key cities.

Anhow it sucks being a Russian conscript and i wonder if we wil be seeing barrier troops

https://i0.wp.com/militaryleak.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/01/ukrainian-new-stugna-p-anti-tank-guided-missile-gets-direct-hit-on-pro-russia-separatists.jpg?w=1000&ssl=1
View Quote

Training perhaps? They've had Stungas for years and made the missiles domestically. Probably have a lot of them and a lot of people trained on them
Link Posted: 3/20/2022 8:28:30 AM EDT
[#27]
Checkin in for the first time since last night. Anything important new? It seems like this war is grinding down to a stalemate.
Link Posted: 3/20/2022 8:31:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: iggy1337] [#28]
Link Posted: 3/20/2022 8:35:41 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 3/20/2022 8:36:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: rgkeller] [#30]
Originally Posted By Ryan_Scott:

I'd caution against trying to make one vehicle all things though.

View Quote
You mean - like a tactical jet aircraft?
Link Posted: 3/20/2022 8:39:38 AM EDT
[#31]

Thanks for posting so much info

Link Posted: 3/20/2022 8:41:47 AM EDT
[#32]

That was the first thought that I had too. Poland isn't the desert, a camo job might be in order.
Link Posted: 3/20/2022 8:46:53 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Chokey:
View Quote

Oh yes,a man who the West can deal with…who only said that Stalin’s mass murder was legitimate. Changing Putin for him would be exchanging one revanchist for another,rather like removing Hitler and replacing him with Himmler.

Link Posted: 3/20/2022 8:49:31 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By realwar:
Putin loses ANOTHER top commander: Black Sea Fleet captain, 51, is 'shot dead near Mariupol' in latest hammer blow for invading troops

Ukraine claimed today that its forces had shot dead the deputy commander of Russia's Black Sea Fleet in another significant blow to Vladimir Putin's forces.

First rank captain Andrey Paliy, 51, is the only senior naval officer allegedly killed in the war in Ukraine, although Kyiv claims to have slain five army generals.

Col Sergei Sukharev, of the 331st Guards Parachute Assault Regiment from Kostroma, was killed on March 18 and Andrei Sukhovetsky, 47, was killed during a special operation by a sniper on March 3.

In addition, Major-General Oleg Mityaev, 47, commander of the army's 150th motorised rifle division, died fighting around the besieged city of Mariupol, Major General Vitaly Gerasimov, 45, was killed on March 7 outside the eastern city of Kharkiv, and Colonel Andrey Kolesnikov, Commander of the Guards Tank Kantemirovskaya Division, was killed in fighting on March 11.

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2022/03/20/08/55572443-10632485-image-a-8_1647764123580.jpg

It came as Russia claimed to have hit a training facility for foreign fighters killing more than 100 special forces personnel and non-Ukrainian mercenaries.

Paliy's death appeared to be confirmed by a Russian friend, Konstantin Tsarenko, secretary of the public council of the Sevastopol Nakhimov Naval School, although it has not been officially acknowledged by Moscow.

One account said that he had been involved with Russian marines attacks near Mariupol.

However, the exact circumstances of his reported death are not known.

Paliy was born in Kyiv and in 1993 refused to take the Ukrainian military oath, instead serving in the Russian Northern Fleet.

He had earlier served on the Russian nuclear missile cruiser 'Peter the Great'.

He also served as deputy head of the Russian naval academy in Sevastopol, in annexed Crimea.

More
View Quote
Same age as me.  Either I look young for my age, or he has had a hard 51 years.  Looks 60+
Link Posted: 3/20/2022 8:50:23 AM EDT
[#35]

An interesting thread. Any truck fleet/mil transport guys have a view what he says?
View Quote

Logistically Russia sucks...they always have been...even under the iron curtain they sucked...

The biggest issue you see I believe is just how much these vehicles sat...sat...sat...factory in with some crappy planning...and here we are...
Link Posted: 3/20/2022 8:52:28 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Miracle_Pants:

IIRC in the book Starship Troopers the prevalence of man portable anti-armor weapons and the development of infantry power armor lead to the obsolescence of all armored fighting vehicles.

So, I guess in that regard Heinlein was prophetic.
View Quote

Or more correctly, Russia is being stupid.
Link Posted: 3/20/2022 8:56:20 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By ydididothis:

Everything you post in this thread, hardly has anything to do with this thread. You sound autistic and it's damn annoying without your double and triple taps. Give it a rest already.
View Quote

Just put him on ignore like everyone else, and move on. I didn't even know he was still posting.
Link Posted: 3/20/2022 8:57:00 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By RickJames1999:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By RickJames1999:
Originally Posted By Miracle_Pants:

IIRC in the book Starship Troopers the prevalence of man portable anti-armor weapons and the development of infantry power armor lead to the obsolescence of all armored fighting vehicles.

So, I guess in that regard Heinlein was prophetic.

Yup. Employed correctly - and maintained/supplied - armor is still essential in warfare.
Link Posted: 3/20/2022 8:57:30 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Balu:

I think Hungarians remember 1956 perfectly well. No one came to help Hungary shake off the Russian invasion.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Balu:
Originally Posted By ITCHY-FINGER:
Originally Posted By outofbattery:

Those SUVs were from Lithuania alone.

I have said it many times in this thread: there is a feeling in nations subjugated by Russia that Ukrainians are fighting what is our war. We know that given the slightest opportunity Russia would have treated Warsaw,Riga,Vilnius and Tallinn the exact same as they are Mariupol.
 We have known Putin was going to do this eventually for decades,it was Western Europe and the US who foolishly thought he was some kind of peer that could be reasoned with.

I wish Hungary remembered Budapest 1956 better. It looks like Orban Viktor is trying to thread the needle between EU/NATO and Russia trying to stay neutral. But there is no staying neutral in something so aggressively barbaric and criminal.

I think Hungarians remember 1956 perfectly well. No one came to help Hungary shake off the Russian invasion.

Yup. We remember just fine. This is why Orban and the government is really hesitant to engage with the U.S. right now...I will tell you this though...if any of the V4 engages against Russia...I would guess Hungary would engage as well...our issue is that we didn't start to modernize our Defense Forces up until a good 2016 and on...so Hungary is WAAAAAY behind.

Another problem is...its like a good 007 movie...the West needs a bad guy all the time...which is Russia...
Link Posted: 3/20/2022 8:59:53 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By hondaciv:
View Quote

Looks warm and dry in that video.  Current?
Link Posted: 3/20/2022 9:01:54 AM EDT
[#41]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By sq40:
Is it just me, or does it seem the era of the tank and plane is coming to an end, with the proliferation of portable missiles and small drones?  The rifleman is becoming more and more essential too.  Shore to ship weapons need to evolve, but it seems like war is getting more mano a mano again, the individual to platoon are more deadly than ever.
https://i.ibb.co/c8MWy1n/dog.jpg

https://i.ibb.co/wgRZKfQ/dog2.jpg

I saw one of those variants live in action at the national tactical officer's conference in KC. Fucking creeeeepy as shit. A guy ran up and kicked it. It just staggered and kept going. He then kicked it over and the legs flipped 180 degrees and it ran off with the body upside down.

I was like... well fuck me.

All.
Link Posted: 3/20/2022 9:02:07 AM EDT
[#42]
View Quote

Tanks can move fast off road. When properly coordinated that speed translates into being able to dictate the time and place of battle. Bypass defenses, flank enemies, cut through supply lines and plain out run enemy infantry. Tanks are modern calvery.

Its the coordination part that's difficult. Armor, mobile air defense, infantry are all symbiotic. If you can't keep them all working together they get picked away piece meal by light infantry. On top of that you want to coordinate your artillery and air force. It's a lot of moving parts, and a lot of opportunity to fuck it up. The Russians were supposed to be the grand masters of this stuff.

Now Russians are finding out that Ukrainian fields in early spring are real hard to traverse, so they're all stuck on roads. That robs the tanks of their greatest asset, and makes them easy to find and predict. The Uke's know where the Russian tanks are and where they're headed, so all they have to do is set up stugnas in tree lines facing the road and wait, safe and snug in defilade. The Russians can't hit them behind a berm, Russian infantry in BTRs and BMPs can't reach them across a muddy field and Russian CAS gets fucked up by manpads if it even shows up.

Tanks are awesome, but it turns out Russia sucks at combined arms. I guess they've got artillery down, as long as the target is a city.

Link Posted: 3/20/2022 9:03:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Crash_Test_Dhimmi] [#43]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By rpoL98:
they're probably using electronic intelligence, signal intelligence to pinpoint the locations of the command posts, then passing the coordinates off to the Ukraine artillery or drone pilots.  DIA was recently bragging about how they have real-time actionable intel which they pass to the Ukranian military.

They should take a bunch of abandoned westerner cell phones, take war selfies with them, then put them all in some old decrepit building in the middle of nowhere for the commies to blow up and waste a khinzhal or two on it. Maybe make some radio chatter about being at the new training camp for foreigners.
Link Posted: 3/20/2022 9:04:56 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By unreformed66:

That was the first thought that I had too. Poland isn't the desert, a camo job might be in order.
View Quote

A couple of rattle can cases.
Link Posted: 3/20/2022 9:05:59 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By K0UA:

If that analysis is even half right, that would explain so much of the Russian Military's failures so far. That was astounding to me.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By K0UA:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5YevpOS7t4

If that analysis is even half right, that would explain so much of the Russian Military's failures so far. That was astounding to me.

I missed that before and just watched it. Truly astonishing.

State sanctioned thieves and thugs dominating the military?

"There are many publications on how conscripts were forced into gay prostitution to earn cash for higher ups."

Sounds like the entirety of Russia is saturated with corruption.
Link Posted: 3/20/2022 9:07:18 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By prill64:

Tanks serve a purpose supporting infantrythey carry heavier ordinance in larger quantity than infantry alone could handlebut watching this war I'm starting to wonder whether lighter more maneuverable armored vehicles (likely able to carry infantry) with good anti-armor and anti-aircraft abilities would be easier on logistics and may be more relevant.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By prill64:

Tanks serve a purpose supporting infantrythey carry heavier ordinance in larger quantity than infantry alone could handlebut watching this war I'm starting to wonder whether lighter more maneuverable armored vehicles (likely able to carry infantry) with good anti-armor and anti-aircraft abilities would be easier on logistics and may be more relevant.
I have to imagine tank crews around the world are watching the videos coming out of Ukraine, and rethinking their relative "safety" on the battlefield.  I suppose it depends on who you're fighting and what weapons they have at their disposal.
Link Posted: 3/20/2022 9:07:18 AM EDT
[#47]
View Quote

Good. Shame they didn't all get wiped out.
Link Posted: 3/20/2022 9:07:21 AM EDT
[#48]
View Quote

De-Putinization is required. All Putin cronies must be purged. I assume FSB is Putin's creature and everyone in FSB is likely to be an enemy of freedom and progress.
Link Posted: 3/20/2022 9:09:24 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By nickmemphis:

I have assburgers, probably. I try to restrain myself,  like right now, when nothing is happening.  Some people like it, but many are offended.

If you want to ignore me, I won't take it personally. I completely understand. I really do.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ydididothis:
There was a sleeper movie in the 80s with Chevy Chase and Gregory Hines called Deal Of The Century, where they were Arms dealers. They had this huge rifle they were selling to Bana repubs. With a built in bottle opener. That kind of thing. That's why the space shuttle was such a giant suck, everybody wanted it to do everything, and so it didn't do any one thing well, and it certainly wasn't cheaper.

Everything you post in this thread, hardly has anything to do with this thread. You sound autistic and it's damn annoying without your double and triple taps. Give it a rest already.

I have assburgers, probably. I try to restrain myself,  like right now, when nothing is happening.  Some people like it, but many are offended.

If you want to ignore me, I won't take it personally. I completely understand. I really do.

lol assburgers.
Link Posted: 3/20/2022 9:11:18 AM EDT
[#50]

View All Quotes

There's probably a Polish joke in here somewhere.  
Page / 5590
OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 1205 of 5590)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top