Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 1908 of 5591)
Page / 5591
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Link Posted: 5/9/2022 4:45:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By kncook:

Lol. They aren’t just loose.

They are in camps.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By jough43:
Originally Posted By spydercomonkey:

That's a great idea.  Kidnap people who hate you and move them in-country.  I see more burning buildings coming to deep inside Russia.

Lol. They aren’t just loose.

They are in camps.

So was Colonel Hogan...
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 4:48:54 PM EDT
[#2]
View Quote

lol, their propagandists are lazy as fuck.   They literally just went on the internet and grabbed any old picture that looked good.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 4:49:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Maine_11B_to_Nurse:

So was Colonel Hogan...
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Maine_11B_to_Nurse:
Originally Posted By jough43:

That's a great idea.  Kidnap people who hate you and move them in-country.  I see more burning buildings coming to deep inside Russia.

Lol. They aren't just loose.

They are in camps.

So was Colonel Hogan...

A Hogan's Heroes reboot, set in a Russian gulag with Ukrainian prisoners. I don't know whether it would be panned as brutally offensive or the funniest thing on television in years.

Link Posted: 5/9/2022 4:51:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By outofbattery:

Just look at the people they are doing this to,shooting old men and  raping 42 year old woman in what anyone in Western Europe would just call some poor village. Maybe they were the closest things to Nazis that could be found.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/56204/AFA1D6B4-E26D-4EFD-803D-C00E8E1368FA_jpe-2377761.JPG
View Quote

That was a really harrowing tale.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 4:54:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By stone-age:

Why are we all bragging about this kind of stuff? It seems like it would be a lot better to shut up about it, and then just shrug when ukraine kicks the piss out of the russian military. Is it that important to show the world we are all in this together? Is that the whole point? "See? Look at what we are doing to help. Everybody should be trying to help." I don't get it.
View All Quotes

It will be interesting to see if they end up used in the 'Fletcher' ground based model, possibly with L3 Harris's new Vampire system:

https://preview.redd.it/m5klpzyp9ay81.jpg?width=896&format=pjpg&auto=webp&s=ff42e2ea4942d5139cff9a709aebc5c5963e440c

Why are we all bragging about this kind of stuff? It seems like it would be a lot better to shut up about it, and then just shrug when ukraine kicks the piss out of the russian military. Is it that important to show the world we are all in this together? Is that the whole point? "See? Look at what we are doing to help. Everybody should be trying to help." I don't get it.

Pretty sure stuff like that has to be public record.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 4:55:33 PM EDT
[#6]
View Quote

“Mr Hamer? Please hold for President Zelenskyy.”
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 4:58:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Ryan_Scott:

I don’t know if it’s still true but at one time the general order for the nation in time of conflict was in the front of the phone book. The TLDR was: resist the enemy as best you can and ignore as lies any claims of surrender or peace while the enemy is in the country. They also delegated authority completely to commanders on the expectation that communication would be lost.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Wreckshooter:

Yes, Sweden has recognized it has under emphasized its military years ago. They have a small population but they have ideal defensive terrain and significant naval and air assets compared to their population. They possess naval and air forces greater (pre war) than Ukraine despite having roughly a quarter the population of Ukraine.

I don’t know if it’s still true but at one time the general order for the nation in time of conflict was in the front of the phone book. The TLDR was: resist the enemy as best you can and ignore as lies any claims of surrender or peace while the enemy is in the country. They also delegated authority completely to commanders on the expectation that communication would be lost.

Its called the 'Total Defense' doctrine and they have reinstituted it:

https://encyclopediageopolitica.com/2020/04/06/the-northern-flank-the-restoration-of-swedens-total-defence-doctrine/

On December 10th, 2015, the Swedish Government reintroduced its whole-of-society approach towards national security, known as ‘total defence’ (totalförsvar). The strategy unifies the country’s civil defence and armed forces in joint operations with the aim of defending Swedish society against a wide array of hostile external influences; the worst-case scenario being war. To understand the motivations that have led to the restoration of a total defence doctrine that was dismantled in the late 1990s, one must begin with the 2014 Russian annexation of Crimea to grasp the impact that this event has had upon Swedish strategic thinking.

Link Posted: 5/9/2022 4:58:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By BUCC_Guy:

The unfortunate truth is that Russian channels are littered with just as many "hurray, us" videos as the UA channels.

This thread has had a slight lack of balance, and anyone following JUST this thread probably thinks things are pretty peachy for UA.

The Russians are scoring hits.  I'm wary of any video they put out that doesn't show any destruction, though.  They do very much like to show outgoing fire, but don't show the results as much.  This is likely directly owed to their lack of drones, which are supplying the bulk of downrange UA hits, outside of the launcher video screens themselves.
View Quote

This is very true, but to be fair, as you acknowledged, very little of the Russian side can be trusted.

Here's one I haven't bothered to post, for this reason-

Russian source, no actual evidence, just a claim and a stock photo.  

Link Posted: 5/9/2022 4:58:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By realwar:
Shooting from RPG 7 fragmentation grenade

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmjtOft2ac4
View Quote

Another Glock knife. Must be quite popular.

H
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 4:59:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CenterMass762] [#10]

View All Quotes

It will be interesting to see if they end up used in the 'Fletcher' ground based model, possibly with L3 Harris's new Vampire system:

https://preview.redd.it/m5klpzyp9ay81.jpg?width=896&format=pjpg&auto=webp&s=ff42e2ea4942d5139cff9a709aebc5c5963e440c

Nobody knows except the people releasing the information. It could be for nothing more than political points or it could be a middle-finger to Russia, saying "you can't bully us. We'll give Ukraine whatever the fuck we want." Who knows?

We used to not be pussies so it's kind if refreshing to see us letting the world know we won't be bullied on this.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 5:01:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By 1Andy2:

lol, their propagandists are lazy as fuck.   They literally just went on the internet and grabbed any old picture that looked good.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 1Andy2:

A reverse image search takes seconds and prevents you from looking like a fool in front of the whole world....
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 5:03:22 PM EDT
[#12]

I mounted my 50cal and 1919 on Maxim Sokolov tripod. You can never have enough firepower on wheels.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/32274/3050_Adapter_6_jpg-2377862.JPG
View All Quotes

I love seeing the Maxim making a return.

“'Whatever happens, we have got, the Maxim, and they have not"

I mounted my 50cal and 1919 on Maxim Sokolov tripod. You can never have enough firepower on wheels.

This is why I come to ARFcom.  
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 5:03:40 PM EDT
[#13]

Link Posted: 5/9/2022 5:04:41 PM EDT
[#14]
"In the background of the Ukrainian photo of the trophy Russian BMP-2 was the Polish BWP-1 (produced under the BMP-1 license), delivered to the APU from Poland.

Thanks to LostArmour for the tip."

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 5:06:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Chaingun:
That's a different form of 3-D printing than I was expecting, more like building forms with a robotic arm
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Prime:

Nice video of them here; concrete is a shitload faster to 'print' then plastic.

https://www.yahoo.com/video/czech-firm-3d-prints-barriers-081731674.html

That's a different form of 3-D printing than I was expecting, more like building forms with a robotic arm

Yeah, it reminds me of how cakes are decorated:

The technology seems promising; you can build shapes and internal structures that would be difficult to cast, and there is also no need to transport shitloads of concrete blocks. And it looks pretty fast.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 5:08:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By CarmelBytheSea:
Moscow should just contract out to Pyongyang for their videos, as North Korea seems more competent in that realm than Russia from what I’ve seen so far https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4J4EbH4RSE https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKXBRJTRg8U
View Quote

Alright Russia.

That video of the SU25 flying low was metal as fuck.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 5:08:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By 74HC:
I don't know why NATO countries have been hanging on T-72s all this time.  It's serious disadvantages, and ineffectiveness in combat was known and well-documented during the Gulf war.  That was way back in 1991.
View Quote

Money
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 5:13:31 PM EDT
[#18]
I was expecting the May 9 parade in russia to be a LOT more eventful. It seems like it was nothing but a modest demonstration and a small amount of more of the same propaganda about how me, and the entire west, and Ukranians are all nazis. And how that's why russia invaded. Along with some mild whining about how we are helping Ukraine. No declaration of war, and actually a bullshit excuse about how russia is trying to deescalate. No giant military flyover complete with the doomsday plane. No nuke weapon demonstration. None of that stuff.

Why???? I don't get it.
View Quote

Maybe Putin wasn't there? I speculate that just like the April 12 photo op at the Vostochny Spaceport in the Russian Far East, this event may have seen the use of a Putin body double.

Any decent senior officer would have recommended to Putin that one or two Ilyushin Il-80 "doomsday" platforms be airborne in an operationally significant location during this parade due to current ongoing hostilities. That would leave only one maybe two on the ground as back ups and therefore not available for parade. They have popped up numerous times in the last few months on ADS-B, likely for intimidation purposes.

But aside from schools, I never much studied Russian TTPs so I defer to the experts with current insight.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 5:14:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By M-1975:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FSVK2iJXIAAEJFj?format=jpg&name=medium
View Quote

Would be interesting to know this dude's story.  Is that an FN MAG?
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 5:14:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Erno86:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2v1vrxbk9EE
View Quote

Good vid, thanks.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 5:17:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Warstache found a friend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_V7W9vL3a6w
View Quote

Man, I miss him since Husker Du broke up.  

Link Posted: 5/9/2022 5:17:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dracster] [#22]

The unfortunate truth is that Russian channels are littered with just as many "hurray, us" videos as the UA channels.

This thread has had a slight lack of balance, and anyone following JUST this thread probably thinks things are pretty peachy for UA.

The Russians are scoring hits.  I'm wary of any video they put out that doesn't show any destruction, though.  They do very much like to show outgoing fire, but don't show the results as much.  This is likely directly owed to their lack of drones, which are supplying the bulk of downrange UA hits, outside of the launcher video screens themselves.
View All Quotes
Translation:  Russian special forces tracked down and destroys a detachment of the Armed Forces of Ukraine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QFjmY_Hwdk

I don't watch half of your videos because it makes me absolutely sick to see russians win against Ukranians. But what you're posting is fair and it is reality. So, kudos anyway.

The funny thing about the Rus vids I've seen is, you have a 60s video with the same 15s clip repeated 4 times. Some are hard to look at, like the UA trench arty strike aftermath posted a few pages back. They also like claiming vehicle graveyards as destroyed/captured (like the Balakiaya repair facility with all the scrap vehicles, and the motor pools posted early on). By the time all the BS is waded through, there's less Rus stuff to post.

"Destroyed Ukrainian air defense systems "Osa" on the territory of the Balakleysky repair plant, Kharkiv region."

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 5:19:55 PM EDT
[#23]

View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Damn nice setup!
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 5:28:38 PM EDT
[#24]
The last time the US sent lend lease equipment to Ukrainians to kill fascists with it worked very well.
View Quote
This time there's a bunch of pork for pet projects, money that will never reach Ukraine
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 5:29:58 PM EDT
[#25]

View Quote

Toyota dealers would put an insane dealer markup on that model Tacoma.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 5:30:02 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By 74HC:
I don't know why NATO countries have been hanging on T-72s all this time.  It's serious disadvantages, and ineffectiveness in combat was known and well-documented during the Gulf war.  That was way back in 1991.
View Quote

Many inherited the 72 from Warsaw Pact. So they were "free". Many of these countries were dirt poor after the Wall came down and buying the most expensive NATO gear was on nobodies priority list, even if Germany/USA was willing to sell. And I dont think anyone expected or planned to be involved in another big land war in Europe, at least not until the last few years.

The T72 is perfectly fine for 95% of needs: keeping conscripts trained at a minimum level, having at least a semblance of a military, and deterrence against civil unrest, coups, and border disputes. Anyway they were designed to flood NATO defenders with sheer numbers in a nuclear wasteland.

Link Posted: 5/9/2022 5:31:45 PM EDT
[#27]
This time there's a bunch of pork for pet projects, money that will never reach Ukraine
View All Quotes
The last time the US sent lend lease equipment to Ukrainians to kill fascists with it worked very well.

Where are you seeing the full text of the bill?  I've been looking but can't find it.  I found a one-pager, but surely that can't be all of it...
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 5:32:19 PM EDT
[#28]

Link Posted: 5/9/2022 5:38:26 PM EDT
[#29]
View All Quotes

Not in the Lend Lease bill.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 5:44:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CenterMass762] [#30]
Originally Posted By bikedamon:

Where are you seeing the full text of the bill?  I've been looking but can't find it.  I found a one-pager, but surely that can't be all of it...
View All Quotes

Somebody posted it in this thread a few days ago. It was only like 3 pages, including the cover/title page, and was very simple and straightforward.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 5:48:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Chaingun] [#31]

View All Quotes

Mark Levin was talking about the pork.  I searched but cannot find his opinion

Here's some discussion stating it can be used in other countries
https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/new-lend-lease-act-for-ukraine-isnt-same-as-famed-ww-ii-program?taid=627519f17c01c80001c46579
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 5:49:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Tomislav:

There was no hesitation to offer US gear to Eastern Europe. Poland ordered F-16s in the early 2000s, for instance.

But unless there is a Groupon or something, most of Eastern Europe can barely afford used Western gear, much less new. Look at Romania buying old F-16A hand-me-downs from Portugal, and not a lot of them.

I am not aware of any cases of the latest stuff being denied out of any sense of policy. But when defense budgets are tiny, what else can they do but update their T-72s and hope for some gifts later?

View Quote

This invasion is what is going to get a "European Army" off the ground, finally. Maybe it will consist more of cost-sharing, but those more eastern countries now have every reason to pool resources (and the richer western nations should have every reason to support).

The jets and tanks and whatnot are going to cost whatever they cost (particularly to run), but in theory personnel costs should be less, and that's the point--fielding larger forces for less money.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 5:58:41 PM EDT
[#33]

View Quote

I agree. Whatever great kills I see UA making I have to remind myself that RF is doing the same. I think this phase of the war is a 1:1 meatgrinder.

I hope that all the donated arty starts to make an impact soon. I'd also love to see/hear about a large Russian BTG+ get encircled and captured.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 5:59:56 PM EDT
[#34]

View Quote

Mmm...printing is still way slower than casting. Maybe this will become more relevant during the reconstruction phase, but housing is also not something people like to wait around for, and employment is also important.

The big opportunity that I see for them, aside from being able to start completely over with big infrastructure, will be the opportunity to re-design their homes and cities around defense-ability, if they want. So nice parks and greenways that also create fire sacks for invaders, and homes and apartment blocks with built-in bomb shelters.

Maybe the Swiss can use some of their blood money to help the Ukrainians implement a national shelter and defensive infrastructure policy.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 6:05:35 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By ITCHY-FINGER:

I agree. Whatever great kills I see UA making I have to remind myself that RF is doing the same. I think this phase of the war is a 1:1 meatgrinder.

I hope that all the donated arty starts to make an impact soon. I'd also love to see/hear about a large Russian BTG+ get encircled and captured.
View Quote

It’s very unlikely that it’s 1:1. The Ukrainians are organized and trained along more western lines and have more room for initiative, the Russians are using conscripts with 0-4 days of training.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 6:08:15 PM EDT
[#36]

But Trump said Putin’s moves were ‘brilliant’ and he agreed with them, vis-a-vis Ukraine. Until he changed his tune when he found his comments were not well regarded by his base.
View Quote

I believe Trump was commenting about Putin's asymmetrical warfare, using the "little green men" BS to take Crimea with relative ease.

Kinda like my History teacher calling the German Invassion of France "brilliant" tactically.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 6:09:29 PM EDT
[#37]

I believe Trump was commenting about Putin's asymmetrical warfare, using the "little green men" BS to take Crimea with relative ease.

Kinda like my History teacher calling the German Invassion of France "brilliant" tactically.
View Quote

Well that’s not much of a defense of trump since it was all retarded.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 6:12:25 PM EDT
[#38]

It's posturing for our allies and our enemies.  It's putting fence-sitters on notice of where we stand (like India), and it's solidifying things with our friendlies in Europe, many of which are shitting bricks right now.

We are WELL beyond the secret squirrel shit.  This isn't the 1980s, and we aren't playing dumb.  "Ohhh, I have no idea where they got those stingers..."

There's plenty of things happening in secret, but we are very much posturing for a wide audience.

This is in regard to all of our equipment being posted, not just the picture above... which I don't know a thing about.
View Quote

Or it's Biden trying desperately to bump his poll numbers up.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 6:13:30 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By CS223:
US Army is printing barracks and vehicle shelters. There is also a joint project with DOE, they have a demo at Oak Ridge IIRC.
View Quote

I don't disagree that it is happening, I just think it is a terrible (slow) idea.

These are the problems with 3D printing in a warzone, IMO: let's bring in a bunch of complex parts that performs one task, very slowly, and is highly sensitive to the input materials (grain size, moisture content...every fucking thing).

If we clog a nozzle or burn out a control board, or Joe doesn't watch the quality of the printing process like a hawk...that's it, you're fucked, wait for something else to be flown in. Also, let's rely completely on highly trained labor, and ignore the local populace, who would probably happily work for us for meals, clean drinking water, and $10 a day. Brilliant.

HESCOs, plywood, and sandbags aren't all that great, but they are CHEAP and people generally know what to do with them.

Rather than 3D printing, I think earth blocks would be much more appropriate for warzones (or disaster relief efforts, in the medium-term). Basically, after tents but before HESCOs are made useless by weather or enemy fire, and when moderate speed of construction is acceptable:

How to Build a EARTH HOUSE with COMPRESSED EARTH BLOCKS / BRICKS - Ryan & Melissa Runge Netflix HGTV

This company in TX has the leading machines for this technique.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 6:17:55 PM EDT
[#40]

I don't watch half of your videos because it makes me absolutely sick to see russians win against Ukranians. But what you're posting is fair and it is reality. So, kudos anyway.
View All Quotes
Translation:  Russian special forces tracked down and destroys a detachment of the Armed Forces of Ukraine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QFjmY_Hwdk

The ones that I hate to watch are when women, kids, and old people talk about the abuse they have suffered, or the fighting men that they have lost.

In this case, all you would be missing was a very half-assed near ambush of (probably?) a small Ukrainian patrol. Given the same rumored 4 days as Russian activated reservists and a reasonably normal American Boy Scout Troop, I think the Scouts would do a better job.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 6:18:46 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Dracster:
"In the background of the Ukrainian photo of the trophy Russian BMP-2 was the Polish BWP-1 (produced under the BMP-1 license), delivered to the APU from Poland.

Thanks to LostArmour for the tip."

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/48680/photo_2022-05-09_12-47-22_jpg-2377927.JPG
View Quote

That BMP 1 took a little hit on that 5th road wheel. Probably from a 25mm or maybe a 12.7.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 6:21:19 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By M-1975:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FSWKkr6XIAAm8r_?format=png&name=900x900
View Quote
Looks like they have been busy. Russia must have tried to push for more territory before the parade and got exposed and caught up in one ambush after another.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 6:21:42 PM EDT
[#43]

But Trump said Putin’s moves were ‘brilliant’ and he agreed with them, vis-a-vis Ukraine. Until he changed his tune when he found his comments were not well regarded by his base.
View Quote

As I stated to you and your buddie Out of Battery
Dont piss on my leg and say it’s raining.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 6:27:00 PM EDT
[#44]
US Army is printing barracks and vehicle shelters. There is also a joint project with DOE, they have a demo at Oak Ridge IIRC.
View All Quotes

Very cool. I hope this takes off in the US; we need more sturdy fire/wind/bullet resistant homes.

https://www.military.com/daily-news/2022/04/07/fort-bliss-new-barracks-will-be-largest-3d-printed-building-western-hemisphere.html
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 6:27:52 PM EDT
[#45]

View All Quotes

I love seeing the Maxim making a return.

“'Whatever happens, we have got, the Maxim, and they have not"

Awesome man, thats super cool
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 6:28:02 PM EDT
[#46]

View All Quotes

This stuff is visible at trade shows all the time, just read the defense press (Jane's and whatnot), and 90% of it is already out there.

And the rest is vaporware wish-casting for .mil funding, or new packaging for stuff that has been in production already for 20 years, and they're trying for one last big order before accounting forces them to stop production.

Just as long as we aren't giving out the grids to arriving shipments and tweeting when they reach the front line, you can still have quite the element of surprise.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 6:28:30 PM EDT
[#47]

It’s very unlikely that it’s 1:1. The Ukrainians are organized and trained along more western lines and have more room for initiative, the Russians are using conscripts with 0-4 days of training.
View All Quotes

Agreed, various Media and other analysts say it's closer to 3 dead Russians to one Ukrainian soldier.   The Russian side has many comms and leadership problems which will get worse as time drags on.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 6:28:39 PM EDT
[#48]

View Quote

I hope you a right. But it seems that Russia has been using a better strategy, focusing on the East and seem to be getting ground, although very slowly. I hope the ratio is 1:10 UA .vs RF but I fear it's more equal at this point.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 6:29:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AlmightyTallest] [#49]
Dbl tap.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 6:29:13 PM EDT
[#50]
Total giga chad.

Page / 5591
OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 1908 of 5591)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top