Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 1913 of 5591)
Page / 5591
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Link Posted: 5/10/2022 8:21:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By m35ben:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOePz2hfsJQ
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

via google translate:
Yesterday's attempt to cross the Polish-Belarusian border by force. Of the several dozen foreigners, 7 joined the Polish side. The foreigners had a specially built ladder with them to throw it over the fence. Belarusian services threw firecrackers and stones at Polish patrols. Unfortunately, this is exactly what the everyday reality in the area of ​​the Polish-Belarusian border looks like.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 8:21:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 8:26:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By AeroEngineer:

View Quote
Thank you for the translation
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 8:26:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: governmentman] [#4]
Originally Posted By M-1975:
View Quote

Video really looks off to me. Render / game? On phone so tiny screen make it hard to judge.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 8:27:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 8:28:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By governmentman:

Video really looks off to me. Render / game? On phone so tiny screen make it hard to judge.
View Quote
It looks fairly real to me
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 8:30:29 AM EDT
[#7]
View All Quotes

Thanks. Might just be lack of coffee and small screen.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 8:31:46 AM EDT
[#8]

View Quote

We'll get you a cup
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 8:31:58 AM EDT
[#9]

View Quote
When the cameraman raises the rifle iot looks very smooth and a bit fake. I think that is just image stabilization.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 8:32:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: iggy1337] [#10]
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 8:32:11 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By outofbattery:

Drone drop on Russian mentioned in post above: when little drones can target an individual RPG gunner,warfare has officially changed. At some point soon I think light mortar sections will largely be replaced with armed drones in many militaries,

View Quote

Already happening.  Why do you think we developed the Switchblade 100 and now have a drone operator infantry MOS?
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 8:33:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 8:33:08 AM EDT
[#13]
I think this has been posted

Link Posted: 5/10/2022 8:35:32 AM EDT
[#14]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckRgrdmk9ps
View Quote

If only we had given them Bogert jacks too. It would have been so much more exciting!

Bogert International Humvee Jack High Speed
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 8:36:54 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By sq40:

France needs to feel some sting for their bullshit.  In a day, Macron has undermined NATO and the EU more than anyone could imagine. His ass needs sanctioned.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By sq40:
Originally Posted By Tiberius:
Originally Posted By rgkeller:
Hard to overlook that the two "leading countries" of Europe are willing to screw the Ukraine to appease Russia.

Doesn't bode well for NATO. I'm not sure that Russia couldn't steamroll  Europe. It would soon be Poland standing alone. And the Ukraine. France wants to stay out of it and Germany's got nothing. GB's not going to jump in to save the continent. If Russia ignores Finland, not much else in their way.

Except the US, of course. I wonder what we'd do if France and Germany opted out.

Win anyway, and once it’s over set up a new and improved version of NATO with the countries who rolled with us….and leave old NATO to France, Germany, and apparently Hungary so they can do whatever with their Fren Putin.

France needs to feel some sting for their bullshit.  In a day, Macron has undermined NATO and the EU more than anyone could imagine. His ass needs sanctioned.

I’ve lost all respect for him…..LePen was at least honest about her crush on Putin.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 8:41:22 AM EDT
[#16]
When the cameraman raises the rifle iot looks very smooth and a bit fake. I think that is just image stabilization.
View Quote

Yes, it causes that feel. What is not fake is how the  auto exposure continually switches with the ground/sky mix. This looks totally genuine and not like the hokey tank burning in the field fake from yesterday.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 8:46:14 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Dracster:

Kyiv didn't fall.
Sumy didn't fall.
Chernihiv didn't fall.
Kharkiv didn't fall.
Mykolaiv didn't fall.
Mariupol is destroyed and still fighting.
Kherson fell basically intact and the Russians were allowed to pour out of Crimea thru a couple severe choke points.

If it looks fishy, and smells fishy...

View All Quotes
Something I read from Ukrainian accounts is that bridges in the south had their explosives removed and therefore they weren't blown. Army units were moved out of so 3 areas  and only border guards and territorial defense outfits were left to face the invasion from Crimea in some locations. Of course this could very well all just be hot rumors but the generals Zelensky had arrested early had to have done something wrong.
 It will be disgusting if this turns out to be true.

Kyiv didn't fall.
Sumy didn't fall.
Chernihiv didn't fall.
Kharkiv didn't fall.
Mykolaiv didn't fall.
Kherson fell basically intact and the Russians were allowed to pour out of Crimea thru a couple severe choke points.

All signs point to Treason. Whoever Moscow assigned to paving the way out of Crimea was doing their job…..he probably has a helper(s) in the SBU in that area that needs to be rooted out.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 8:51:10 AM EDT
[#18]
View Quote
At least the Russians finally have blow out panels figured out. They probably put blow out panels facing inwards too unfortunately.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 8:51:46 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Alex9661:

Oh sure, theoretically they can draft every male 18-60 and send them to Ukraine.
Realistically, I strongly doubt they have enough functioning weapons to even double the size of their military, never mind the logistical capability for that.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ArmyInfantryVet:

They have a huge pool of reserves if Putin declares war. They could send millions of combatants into Ukraine if they do that.

Oh sure, theoretically they can draft every male 18-60 and send them to Ukraine.
Realistically, I strongly doubt they have enough functioning weapons to even double the size of their military, never mind the logistical capability for that.

Maybe they’ll arm them with the Tsarist era Winchester 95s they still have warehoused….the Ukrainians can make some coin after the war exporting them to the US
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 8:52:08 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Ryan_Ruck:

If only we had given them Bogert jacks too. It would have been so much more exciting!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hI4k0Pl6ho
View Quote
I almost posted that.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 8:59:15 AM EDT
[#21]

View All Quotes

They have a huge pool of reserves if Putin declares war. They could send millions of combatants into Ukraine if they do that.

Yeah this isn’t the 1940s anymore … but the Ruskies might still be in that mentality by the looks of things…
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 9:08:28 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By BUCC_Guy:
Convoy getting the business.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CwumYoBGwU
View Quote

Now that was more than a 2-gun fire mission.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 9:11:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Lightning_P38] [#23]
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 9:15:46 AM EDT
[#24]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5k49h1OAEdM
View Quote

A couple tractors, a squeegee, and a little paint and UA has a couple new MT-LBs.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 9:15:58 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By thehun06:

Yeah this isn’t the 1940s anymore … but the Ruskies might still be in that mentality by the looks of things…
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By thehun06:

Agreed.  Move them, house them, feed them, train them...does anyone think Russia is even barely competent at logistics these days?

Also, Russia is already having problems with existing units refusing orders, or refusing certain orders.  How motivated are a bunch of newly minted, virtually untrained conscripts going to be?

Finally, assuming there's a miracle and a bunch of Mosin wielding conscripts with almost no training going storming into Ukraine, this is 2022.  If the Russians launched a human wave attack it would be annihilated by Ukrainian artillery and small arms.  

Frankly, anyone still thinking that somehow a mass mobilization of conscripts is Putins ace in the hole isn't paying any attention to reality.

Link Posted: 5/10/2022 9:20:00 AM EDT
[#26]
View Quote
"Yesterday's attempt to cross the Polish-Belarusian border by force. Of the several dozen foreigners, 7 joined the Polish side. The foreigners had a specially built ladder with them to throw it over the fence. Belarusian services threw firecrackers and stones at Polish patrols. Unfortunately, this is exactly what the everyday reality in the area of the Polish-Belarusian border looks like."

Apparently these are refugees crossing the frontier into Poland?
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 9:24:00 AM EDT
[#27]

View All Quotes

I think we're so used to seeing blurry, shaky, dull brown crap out of the ME, something green in HD throws a flag to our brain.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 9:30:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: dillydilly] [#28]

View Quote

And? Just because you hand someone a gun doesn’t mean they become a fighting machine lol. Just more canon fodder.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 9:32:39 AM EDT
[#29]

All signs point to Treason. Whoever Moscow assigned to paving the way out of Crimea was doing their job..he probably has a helper(s) in the SBU in that area that needs to be rooted out.
View All Quotes
Something I read from Ukrainian accounts is that bridges in the south had their explosives removed and therefore they weren't blown. Army units were moved out of so 3 areas  and only border guards and territorial defense outfits were left to face the invasion from Crimea in some locations. Of course this could very well all just be hot rumors but the generals Zelensky had arrested early had to have done something wrong.
 It will be disgusting if this turns out to be true.

Kyiv didn't fall.
Sumy didn't fall.
Chernihiv didn't fall.
Kharkiv didn't fall.
Mykolaiv didn't fall.

All signs point to Treason. Whoever Moscow assigned to paving the way out of Crimea was doing their job..he probably has a helper(s) in the SBU in that area that needs to be rooted out.

SBU announces detention of Nikolaev district attorney general on suspicion of treason

Who are the Ukrainian 'traitors' passing secrets to Russia?

Volodymyr Zelensky Fires Two Top GeneralsUkraine 'Traitors (This is from a month ago and are the guys Outofbattery is referencing)
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 9:33:43 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By dillydilly:

And? Just because you had someone a gun doesn't mean they become a fighting machine lol. Just more canon fodder.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By dillydilly:

And? Just because you had someone a gun doesn't mean they become a fighting machine lol. Just more canon fodder.

Millions of bodies and tens of combatants.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 9:34:23 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Goodn:

Daaaaamn!  

That's some good shootin.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Goodn:

Daaaaamn!  

That's some good shootin.

Wonder if they're using guided munitions.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 9:36:11 AM EDT
[#32]

They don’t exist. The fighting taking place now is in Russian speaking localities. Mariupol,Kharkiv and Odessa are Russian speaking cities.

Ukraine had pushed out almost all of the bad elements all the way to the Russian border in 2014 until the Russians used artillery from their territory and an invasion of Russian troops ridiculously under the premise of being locals -as if there are Buryats in Donbass with tanks that entered service 15 years after Ukrainian independence.

Ukraine has not been “running a brutal COIN operation”,they have been in a not very frozen conflict with Russia. This conflict would not have been able to continue without the continuing influx of  “polite people”.

If there was overwhelming pro-Russian sentiment you would have seen a much different greeting of Russians than took place.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/05/07/world/europe/russia-putin-ukraine-politicians.html

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ITCHY-FINGER:

I have the same concerns. The last thing I want to see is Ukraine running a brutal COIN operation in Crimea, or in Donbas etc. (like they have been doing for the past 8 years).

If there are majority Russian areas that want to be Russian, I say fuck them, good riddance.

They don’t exist. The fighting taking place now is in Russian speaking localities. Mariupol,Kharkiv and Odessa are Russian speaking cities.

Ukraine had pushed out almost all of the bad elements all the way to the Russian border in 2014 until the Russians used artillery from their territory and an invasion of Russian troops ridiculously under the premise of being locals -as if there are Buryats in Donbass with tanks that entered service 15 years after Ukrainian independence.

Ukraine has not been “running a brutal COIN operation”,they have been in a not very frozen conflict with Russia. This conflict would not have been able to continue without the continuing influx of  “polite people”.

If there was overwhelming pro-Russian sentiment you would have seen a much different greeting of Russians than took place.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/05/07/world/europe/russia-putin-ukraine-politicians.html

Correct, but Kharkiv, Odessa, Mariupol have all been under UA control in that timeframe. Crimea hasn’t and Russia has likely weeded out undesirables (elimination, deportation, refugee to UA, etc) in those areas in the same way UA forced out bad apples, to your point. Makes one ask the question that if there is still pro-UA sentiment in Crimea, why aren’t we seeing evidence of sabotage, etc in that area? Lack of visibility? Seems like that would be a prime target to undermine supply lines early in the war (less so now with the capturing of a land route).

UA would quickly become the pariah on international television for shelling populated areas, attacking apartment complexes, etc because that is it would take to recapture Crimea and RU knows it.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 9:38:51 AM EDT
[#33]
Javelin kill:

View Quote

Beautiful!

Where available, drones are most likely IDing the important targets and allowing the Javelin teams to target the most intimidating threats at pretty long ranges.   I think it will be very interesting when Ukraine gets the APKWS rocket mounted VAMPIRE technical trucks pushed to the front.    At that point each pickup truck can launch 4 laser guided rockets that it or the drones can use to kill most everything much faster in a 5km radius.  Also, in case anyone didn't know, those laser guided rockets can be uses in an anti aircraft role as well.

You don't need to penetrate a T-80 with the rocket, just a hit usually causes the crew to bail, anything less than a T tank is gonna get killed.

https://militaryleak.com/2022/05/10/l3harris-unveils-vehicle-agnostic-modular-palletized-isr-rocket-equipment-vampire/

It uses a system similar to the British Starstreak, auto tracking an lasing a moving aircraft to hit it.   All the different warheads for the rockets can be used, because they don't need the special original laser seeker, new seeker is now multiple seekers on the fins.

Below image is engaging a drone, right image is using the truck mounted WESCAM unit to designate a spot for the round to hit.

Link Posted: 5/10/2022 9:40:54 AM EDT
[#34]

View Quote

Have you considered how much they need to withhold to maintain Russia's defenses? They have a lot of ground to cover and a lot of border. The US is in the enviable position of being able to deploy a high percentage of its military while still maintaining defense thanks to big oceans and one unfriendly border with a collection of nations (Mexico and South America) that don't really pose a military threat. Russia is not in that position.

They could pull in huge amounts of conscripts but they don't have a lot of professional soldiers left to call in before they start weakening defense. Do you think Putin will risk Russia's defense?
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 9:41:51 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Krater:
Need some info - what exactly is the niche where APWKS ( laser guided Hydra 70 ) falls into?  Is it supposed to be used against fieldworks /vehicles / troop concentrations /something else?  I think Ukrainians will be using ground launched version.
View Quote

APKWS is a guidance kit that threads onto the standard 2.75 rocket body (whatever those are, I think primarily HE Frag).

The idea is like most PGMs: trying to improve the ratio of targets serviced vs targets destroyed.

This was obviously really important on attack helicopters because of weight/number of rounds carried, but they could be applied to ground and small naval platforms as well. I just don't think you see them applied as much in US service because we have things like M242 Bushmaster on Bradleys (chain gun ammo is CHEAP), and we just don't field a lot of small surface combatants (the Navy hates those about like the AF hates the A-10, and for similar reasons).

It's also just a part of the trend over decades to reduce the number of unique platforms and systems across all services, in order to save maintenance and training costs, and reduce unit costs through bigger (multi-service) orders.

Link Posted: 5/10/2022 9:45:40 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By ricko1:
They probably left that washing machine there thinking it was broken because it wouldn't turn on    
View Quote

It wouldn't surprise me. A substantial part of them spent their entire lives without electricity and indoor plumbing. I remember watching a video where a woman in a liberated from orcs town was telling how forcibly garrisoned in her house orc soldiers didn't know what the toilet was for and ended up shitting in a bucket and occasionally emptying it outdoors.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 9:47:43 AM EDT
[#37]
Javelin kill:

View Quote

At some point they have to run out of armor!
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 9:50:54 AM EDT
[#38]
View All Quotes

Yes. Cause it is.

Also those dudes approach in ready positions vs a lot of the vids where dudes casually walk up.

Trust but verify.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 9:53:18 AM EDT
[#39]

View All Quotes

What happens when they shoot the tire on the other side?
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 9:56:47 AM EDT
[#40]
First combat loss of a Russian T-90M tank by a Swedish delivered Carl Gustaf 8.4cm recoilless rifle

Link Posted: 5/10/2022 9:58:27 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By spydercomonkey:
Brutal thread on the forced conscripts from the Donbas being forced to fight against Ukraine; even the professors are being rounded up and handed a Mosin and sent into the meatgrinder. Anyone under 60 caught on the street is being pressganged into service.

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1522196119589171202.html

https://i.ibb.co/N1vLGzn/Screen-Shot-2022-05-10-at-3-28-33-AM.png

https://i.ibb.co/8DrfbdM/Screen-Shot-2022-05-10-at-3-33-57-AM.png

The 3 forces of the Russian army:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FSBDESFXsAE6kuU.jpg
View Quote

Who writes this delusional pap about “advantageous” to press Ukrainian/maybe ethnic Russians into the fight?
These guys didn’t believe in Putin’s cause already
So who are they likely to want to kill?
Ukrainians or russian officers?
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 9:58:41 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Scott-S6:

Have you considered how much they need to withhold to maintain Russia's defenses? They have a lot of ground to cover and a lot of border. The US is in the enviable position of being able to deploy a high percentage of its military while still maintaining defense thanks to big oceans and one unfriendly border with a collection of nations (Mexico and South America) that don't really pose a military threat. Russia is not in that position.

They could pull in huge amounts of conscripts but they don't have a lot of professional soldiers left to call in before they start weakening defense. Do you think Putin will risk Russia's defense?
View All Quotes

It's been said here several times. If the Bear gets too weak, it's proxies (South Ossetia, Abkhazia, etc.) could lose their "separatist" status. Azerbaijan could decide it's had enough of Armenia. China could nibble on Siberia. If they did indeed levy 70% of their ground combat power against Ukraine, as the analysts said, the 150k conscripts they just called up could find themselves voluntold to extend.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 9:59:57 AM EDT
[#43]

View All Quotes

We are truly lucky in that regard. We're half a world away from any real hostile countries. Invading the US would take an unbelievable amount of logistics and resources.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 10:01:03 AM EDT
[#44]
Drone drops a grenade on a Russian soldier who fired a grenade launcher at a UA position

Link Posted: 5/10/2022 10:02:36 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By Prime:
View Quote

We've seen javelins take out Russian helicopters over and over again. Based on the vulnerability, is the helicopter still relevant as an offensive combat tool?
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 10:02:42 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By CPT_CAVEMAN:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By CPT_CAVEMAN:

Why the hell are they stopping to change a tire containing a run-flat in the middle of kill-zone anyway?
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 10:03:38 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Firefly1032:

Correct, but Kharkiv, Odessa, Mariupol have all been under UA control in that timeframe. Crimea hasn’t and Russia has likely weeded out undesirables (elimination, deportation, refugee to UA, etc) in those areas in the same way UA forced out bad apples, to your point. Makes one ask the question that if there is still pro-UA sentiment in Crimea, why aren’t we seeing evidence of sabotage, etc in that area? Lack of visibility? Seems like that would be a prime target to undermine supply lines early in the war (less so now with the capturing of a land route).

UA would quickly become the pariah on international television for shelling populated areas, attacking apartment complexes, etc because that is it would take to recapture Crimea and RU knows it.
View Quote

They will just turn off their water. It all comes from Ukraine.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 10:05:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Birddog15] [#48]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By BUCC_Guy:
Convoy getting the business.

Yup, they put some serious hurt on that convoy.  I hope that is going on all over the place.

Link Posted: 5/10/2022 10:05:25 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Piratepast40:

We've seen javelins take out Russian helicopters over and over again. Based on the vulnerability, is the helicopter still relevant as an offensive combat tool?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Piratepast40:

Yes.

Just like tanks, Russia's methods of using them is what's obsolete, not the tool itself.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 10:09:55 AM EDT
[#50]

Sikorsky has a production line in Poland via its PZL subsidiary.
View All Quotes

Sikorsky has a production line in Poland via its PZL subsidiary.

Maybe good for business - a little war profiteering
Where I used to work they made lots of Ti plate for Blackhawk rotor blades (spar box).  Eventually the US ordered UH-60s switched over to full carbon fiber blades (no metal spar inside), but the export versions were still using Ti spar boxes.  I don’t know if that ever switched over, too..   Amounted to quite a bit of Ti.  Not sure if the current employer makes and rotor blade plate for Blackhawks or any other helos, anymore.   Customers tend to really hate the company that bought them out (thatbI used to work for)
(Sea stallions used them too - those were long plates!)
I’m sure there was other places in the helo they used Ti armor plating- but it’s probably just more standard stuff.
Page / 5591
OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 1913 of 5591)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top